Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:39:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kong 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kong  (Read 15608 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: December 16, 2005, 08:09:29 AM

Now that I'm warmed up....For further clarification:

Mulholland Dr. provoked a powerful response from me at the end. Despite NONE of it making sense. And, as a bonus, it gave me a hard on.

Powerful response and hard on = Great story

There is nothing else. This is what makes a great film.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36 on: December 16, 2005, 11:01:55 AM

When did this site become a place to creep each other out? Is that a new thing?

Watts is Hotts, btw.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: December 16, 2005, 11:25:00 AM

Laura Harring > Jessica Lange > Naomi Watts.  But they are all very pretty, so I don't think you can say anyone's hawt-o-meter is off for preferring one over another.  Acting wise, reverse that list (or, better yet, just take Harring off it).

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
WayAbvPar

Reply #38 on: December 16, 2005, 11:53:39 AM

The 76 Kong is one of the first movies I remember seeing in the theatre ( I R OLD). I didn't realize until many years later exactly how hot Jessica Lange was in it. I was probably too busy having the piss scared out of me by Kong and the giant snake.

It really is a damned good movie. Just saw it again a couple of months ago. Am eagerly looking forward to the Jackson version, but I am not sure I can sit through a 3 hour movie. The latest Harry Potter flick was long enough for me.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 12:11:45 PM

I am not sure I can sit through a 3 hour movie.

Wow, how old are you?   wink
WayAbvPar

Reply #40 on: December 16, 2005, 01:28:58 PM

I am not sure I can sit through a 3 hour movie.

Wow, how old are you?   wink

Get off my lawn!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: December 16, 2005, 03:15:00 PM

Mulholland Dr. provoked a powerful response from me at the end. Despite NONE of it making sense. And, as a bonus, it gave me a hard on.

What the fuck is wrong with you?

I love me some me.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #42 on: December 16, 2005, 03:46:19 PM

I don't know. You tell me? I merely stated my basic, personal rules for how I appreciate art. If a work manages to say just one profound thing, despite any other flaws, then I'll still think it's great. If it has a hot chick in it, then even better.

Yet, both you AND Paelos are creeped out. I don't see the big deal here, but maybe I should pat myself on the back anyways.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 03:48:37 PM by Stray »
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #43 on: December 17, 2005, 06:48:56 AM

What the fuck is wrong with you?

Signe will be so happy.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: December 19, 2005, 06:23:10 AM

Saw Kong on friday.  It was too long.

Yes, there were women in the audience crying at the end, but all the guys I talked to were pretty much of the same opinion, too fucking long.  The death race 2000 with dinos that went on for 15 minutes pretty much ruined my enjoyment of the movie.  After that I was hoping it would just end quickly.

Oh, and what the fuck does everything on that island eat when it can't get white people?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #45 on: December 21, 2005, 11:55:00 PM

Oh, and what the fuck does everything on that island eat when it can't get white people?

Yes.

I think a better title for this movie would have been The Island of Giant Suicidal Animals.  Every single goddamned animal on that island had me wondering out loud why the fuck it was doing what it was doing.  Why is that T-Rex dropping a mouth ful of nice plump food so it can chase after some skinny white chick?  Okay, why are TWO OTHER T-REXES joining in the chase?  Okay, now why are all three of them FIGHTING a BIG ANGRY MONKEY that can obviously kick their asses?  How about eating one of those giant leeches instead?  They look pretty meaty and easy to catch.

The ending did make me sad, right on cue, but that's not a difficult feat to accomplish, so meh.  Basically it's a B-movie with a sad ending and a giant budget.  Oh, and Jack Black not being funny.  Bleh.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #46 on: December 22, 2005, 12:36:23 AM

In the video games, the dinosaurs attack everything else and eat everything else WHILE whitey is fighting them. I fear that the game might be better than the movie. /sadf
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: December 22, 2005, 05:12:42 AM

The 76 version of Kong was the first movie I ever saw in a theater.   It scared the piss out of me and brought me to tears, both in equal doses.  The fact that I must have been...(does some quick arithmetic)...around 3 or 4 years old at the time probably explains my reaction.  But nevertheless, the movie is permanently burned into my memory as something grand and emotional, and I will always think of it as "great" even though it probably deserves much less.

If the new version manages to evoke even a shadow of my the response it did back in 76, I will be happy.

Anyway, who the fuck takes a 3 year old to see King Kong?  Even thinking about it now gets my heart racing (I haven't seen it since).

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #48 on: December 22, 2005, 12:51:00 PM

I saw it, and I hated it.

It was long and terribly boring even though they were trying to keep me on the edge of my seat. Oh look, we're running from <insert monster here>. Oh no, <random crew person> died. And now <new monster> is chasing us. How scary. Oh look, here's a giant monkey. How human he is, and yet violent. Awww, he makes funny faces. Now we're running again. For THREE HOURS.

The movie needed to have CCR's "Run through the Jungle" on the soundtrack. That might have saved it for me. Probably not though.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: December 22, 2005, 02:05:41 PM

Saw it, liked it.  Didn't notice my ass falling asleep while watching the flick.  Passing the asleep-ass test in a three hour movie is pretty good testament to how entertaining I thought the flick was.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #50 on: December 22, 2005, 03:19:12 PM

The teaching Kong sign language bit turned me off to the film. That and the cheesy looking special effects.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #51 on: December 22, 2005, 04:36:02 PM

I did like the Ann and Kong bonding scenes, cheesy though they were (though the sign language was over the top, I agree).  Kong himself was actually somewhat sympathetic and believable as a character, especially for being a giant ape.  Unfortunately, that just threw the ridiculous one-dimensionality of everything else into sharper relief.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: December 24, 2005, 12:24:53 AM

I did like the Ann and Kong bonding scenes, cheesy though they were (though the sign language was over the top, I agree).  Kong himself was actually somewhat sympathetic and believable as a character, especially for being a giant ape.  Unfortunately, that just threw the ridiculous one-dimensionality of everything else into sharper relief.

YES.  Completely agree.  Why the fuck should we care about the Jack/Ann romance at all?  I did like the relationship between the newbie crew member and the first mate, though.  Especially since they talked about Heart of Darkness.

A big problem, too, with modern cg special effects is their physics is all fucked up.  I mean....  a couple of tons of monster is NOT going to be as agile or manueverable as they make them.

Someone said it earlier, but, if Carpenter's "The Thing" was released today it would win all kinds of awards.  The purely physical special effects just look better.  Give the action a great sense of realism.

I think you have to give Jackson credit for being able to make a blockbuster that also is not a complete popcorn flick.  We have too many big-budget popcorn flicks with no redeeming qualities already.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: December 28, 2005, 01:27:08 PM

Someone said it earlier, but, if Carpenter's "The Thing" was released today it would win all kinds of awards.  The purely physical special effects just look better.  Give the action a great sense of realism.

I think that was me, but if not I agree. I saw Kong, the physics did look off. Especially when he was swinging his hand around with Ann inside of it, his arm was moving too fast and she was just jerking along slightly out of synch.

Overall the movie was what I thought it would be - way too much CGI monster movie. The scenes with the stampede and with the bugs could have been cut entirely. I wasn't bored but I wasn't excited either - I imagine I would be very bored with a repeat viewing though.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: December 28, 2005, 02:28:31 PM

Overall the movie was what I thought it would be - way too much CGI monster movie. The scenes with the stampede and with the bugs could have been cut entirely.

The head-sucking worms bit was the high point of the film =/

Fargull
Contributor

Reply #55 on: December 29, 2005, 12:29:35 PM

I enjoyed the movie and liked the empathy between Kong and Watts.

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kong  
Jump to: