Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 04:41:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kong 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kong  (Read 15979 times)
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

on: December 14, 2005, 08:52:50 PM

Saw it this afternoon and was pretty impressed.  I enjoyed it alot.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 09:02:18 PM

Okay.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2005, 09:41:12 PM

I may check it out this week. Hell, it's King Kong. What could go wrong?

To agree with what Margalis said in the other thread though, I don't care about CGI, and I'm not sure what new things they'll offer here beside that....But I'll see it anyways. It's King Kong.

Also: Jessica Lange was incredibly hot in her day. It just wasn't right that a giant ape put his dirty mitts on her. Naomi Watts, on the other hand, is homely. I'm not sure if I'm against Kong here.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 11:35:53 PM

Why would you be against Kong? He's a poor, misunderstood, lovable brute!

I dunno...I'm sick of CGI dinos and shit like that. If I never see another computer generated dinosaur it will be too soon. It's really amazing to go back and watch movies where all the effects are done without computers, like Carpenter's The Thing remake. They are so much more alive and visceral. If The Thing came out this year it would deserve to sweep all FX rewards. Kind of sad really. CGI can do tons of stuff for relatively cheap, but just not all that well.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 01:11:18 AM

Just got back from Kong.  It was awesome.  As far as the CGI is concerned, it is near-flawless when the humans aren't in the scene; I truly believed Kong was a living animal within his world.  However, Weta might've needed more time to polish some areas where actors where involved in copious amounts of CGI, some of the dino scenes being particularly noticable.  The soundtrack started out bothering me, but by the end of the movie I have no doubts it will join my collection soon.

Jack Black was really quite good.  Adrien Brody didn't aggravate me like he usually does, and his nose kept in line as well.  The ship's crew were fantastic, and Colin Hanks showed lots of promise.  If were going to seriously criticize any aspect of the movie, it would be parts of the skull-island native section, such as the slo-mo camerawork and a certain goofy segment leading to Naomi Watts kidnapping.  Wasn't enough to keep me from giving the movie a rating of "Worth Seeing Now".

EDITED: Because Kenrick is being a smartass.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 08:43:14 AM by ahoythematey »
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 04:09:22 AM

I truly believed Kong was a living animal.

haha n00b.
 wink
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 04:41:49 AM by Kenrick »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 08:46:57 AM

Also: Jessica Lange was incredibly hot in her day. It just wasn't right that a giant ape put his dirty mitts on her. Naomi Watts, on the other hand, is homely. I'm not sure if I'm against Kong here.

Son, your Hot Barometer is broken. Jet Girl is teh hawtness.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 12:52:08 PM

Naomi Watts, on the other hand, is homely.

Saaayy Whaaat?!?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Wolf
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 01:23:59 PM

As far as the CGI is concerned, it is near-flawless when the humans aren't in the scene; I truly believed Kong was a living animal within his world.  However, Weta might've needed more time to polish some areas where actors where involved in copious amounts of CGI, some of the dino scenes being particularly noticable.

That'd be good, if there wasn't a real actor in like 90% of the scenes with Kong. You know, Naomi Watts (who is VERY HOT btw) being in his hand and what not... CGI was a huge let down for me. I didn't expect to like the story and I didn't, but CGI sucking 90% of the time was too much. And Peter Jackson is a regular Tarkovski now. He takes his sweet time... 3. hours. I'm stfuing now 'cause I don't want to spoil it for people that want to go check it out.

ps: weeee finally found a reason to register :P

As a matter of fact I swallowed one of these about two hours ago and the explanation is that it is, in fact, my hand.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #9 on: December 15, 2005, 01:42:30 PM

You know, there was a version made 43 years before the shitty Jessica Lange one that had someone named Fay Wray in it.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: December 15, 2005, 01:54:17 PM

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: December 15, 2005, 02:00:53 PM

Hawt.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2005, 03:31:20 PM

ps: weeee finally found a reason to register :P

Just woke up from a nap and I read misread that as "peewee finally found a reason to register."  For a split second, I actually thought we finally had Paul Ruebens.

Anyway, hi.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 03:34:25 PM

How do you know he isn't Paul Reubens?  It's rude to make assumptions like that.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 04:40:05 PM

I miss when Peter Jackson did movies about brains, zombies and manburgers... I know I'm going to see King Kong and chances are I will enjoy it, but for some reason I just cannot get myself psyched about it.

Also. Peter Jacksons King Kong, the official game of the movie. I hope whoever came up with that GREAT title ends up drowned in a small mudpuddle.

Wiiiiii!
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 04:47:53 PM

You know, there was a version made 43 years before the shitty Jessica Lange one that had someone named Fay Wray in it.

Wait, there was a version of kong besides the Fay Wray one?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 05:21:20 PM

I know about the Fay Wray one. I've seen it at least a dozen times, but it isn't my favorite. I like the 76 version. That's why I mentioned it.

[edit]

Also, I'm wondering if I'm supposed to argue whether Watts is hot or not. Is this supposed to be some kind of debate or something? rolleyes
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 05:37:00 PM by Stray »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 05:41:36 PM

Why would you be against Kong? He's a poor, misunderstood, lovable brute!

I thought that was the point of making his hostage a hot woman? We're supposed to be torn. Lovable brute? Yes. A fit mate for human females? No.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 06:38:12 PM

I'm holding out for King vs Donkey: Battle of the Kongs. Or maybe a remake of Godzilla vs. King Kong.

I didn't even know there was a 1976 version. That makes me care even less. Maybe I'll catch the next King Kong remake slated to come out in 2037.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 06:52:28 PM

I'm holding out for King vs Donkey: Battle of the Kongs. Or maybe a remake of Godzilla vs. King Kong.

I didn't even know there was a 1976 version. That makes me care even less.

Well, all I can say is give it a shot. I don't think it's some great piece of cinema, but it's worth watching. Besides, it's better to criticize a film after one has seen it rather than before.

It's got the Dude, Charles Grodin as the villian, and as I said, a young, hot Jessica Lange. It won it's share of fans, attention, and awards back then, so I'm surprised you've never heard it. It's not an obscure B film or anything like that.

It's more of a tragedy/drama though, so don't expect an adventure story like the first.

[edit]

"First off let me say, that no matter what anyone here says, on the Internet the 76 Kong will always be hated, and the 33 Kong will always be well liked and the 2005 Kong will be loved. It's like High School, it's all about rep."

Heh, from the IMDB, wherein some wise person points out a phenomenon I was unfamiliar with beforehand. If I knew this, then I would have never said anything.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 07:09:15 PM by Stray »
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 07:07:46 PM

Ok, I'm going to tell you everything you need to know about the 1976 version of King Kong. Ready?

Produced by
Dino De Laurentiis
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #21 on: December 15, 2005, 07:14:09 PM

Ok, I'm going to tell you everything you need to know about the 1976 version of King Kong. Ready?

Produced by
Dino De Laurentiis

Yes, he has produced a lot of crap, but hey, he also had the heart to cast Mickey Rourke in two films (Year of the Dragon and the Desperate Hours remake). That's enough to redeem him.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 15, 2005, 08:48:04 PM

Hey, the first Conan was pretty good.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #23 on: December 15, 2005, 09:50:30 PM

Hey, the first Conan was pretty good.

Crap, I didn't see that. Imho, it's better than pretty good. The credit is more to John Milus though, who was a fan of Howard's before the films.

I thought that De Laurentis was just associated with the second one....Which was terrible (and wasn't directed by Milus).
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 15, 2005, 11:21:52 PM

He also did King Kong 2 AKA King Kong Lives.

He's basically producer or exec producer on everything. His bio on IMDB says he was behind Blue Velvet but it isn't listed in his filmography.

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: December 15, 2005, 11:24:56 PM

Produced by
Dino De Laurentiis

And I'm going to give you everything you need to know about movies. Ready?

Producers almost always mean Nothing At All. Nothing. Now, on Spielberg/Lucas stuff, ya, Lucas has his hand in the cookie jar. But Laurentis? He's a signature on a check. You want to see the problem with the '76 King Kong? Look at the shitty director and an amateurish 30 year old Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange. They were nothing at that age compared to Jack Black, Naomi Watts, and Adrian Brody. Hell, comparatively they aren't even very good today.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #26 on: December 15, 2005, 11:34:07 PM

Producers almost always mean Nothing At All. Nothing.

That would be true except for De Laurentis. Whether Shock meant it or not, he's on to something. De Laurentis is one of the only producers in recent times that enforced a lot of creative control for himself on to projects. Directors working under him were not completely autonomous. Just read about the Lynch's Dune movie and you'll find out.

[edit]

ANYWAYS....

Listen. Everyone.

The 76 movie isn't that bad. Not enough to deserve this argument at least.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2005, 11:41:12 PM by Stray »
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: December 15, 2005, 11:38:45 PM

Producers almost always mean Nothing At All. Nothing.

That would be true except for De Laurentis. Whether Shock meant it or not, he's on to something. De Laurentis is one of the only producers in recent times that enforced a lot of creative control for himself on to projects. Directors working under him were not completely autonomous. Just read about the Lynch's Dune movie and you'll find out.

Maybe one out of every 10 movies. But seriously, he's had to have done near 200 movies. I mean just guessing, without looking at the list, at any given time he'd have to be in at least 3 places. Maybe he just funds wretched shit. That's much more likely.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 12:41:17 AM

Producers have control over movies, but usually that control is indirect. They can choose which movies they put money into, which directors and actors get hired, etc. It's quite common for producers to demand script changes and things like that as well.

Most producers have a lot more control than you might think. And the higher the profile the movie that more this is true.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 07:34:28 AM

Also, I'm wondering if I'm supposed to argue whether Watts is hot or not. Is this supposed to be some kind of debate or something? rolleyes

I would just like to know in what bizarro world you live in where Naomi Watts is not considered teh hawtness. If you don't think she is, you should watch Mulholland Drive (preferably with the sound off so you don't try to be involved in the barely-there story and just watch the hot femme lesbian action).

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 07:39:03 AM

I would just like to know in what bizarro world you live in where Naomi Watts is not considered teh hawtness. If you don't think she is, you should watch Mulholland Drive (preferably with the sound off so you don't try to be involved in the barely-there story and just watch the hot femme lesbian action).

Watching Mulholland just makes her less hot IMHO. Sitting her next to (or on top?) of Laura Harring in a scene just accentuates Laura, not Naomi.

The "story" is great btw. I was in tears at the end.

I don't know what to say about "Why" I don't think she's hot. Maybe because she resembles my friend's wife, who I don't get along with. Maybe because of this picture. Maybe because....I just don't think she's that hot. I don't know.

She is a good actress though. How about that?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 07:48:21 AM

Son, your hawt meter is borken. But then I think Watts is hotter with black hair than blonde. And you liked the "story" in Mulholland Drive. I know believe you are smoking too much meth.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 07:53:27 AM

Son, your hawt meter is borken.

Heh, funny...That's exactly what I've been thinking about you  tongue.

As for Mulholland, I didn't mean it to come across like that. I don't know what the story was. I watched the whole thing wondering where it was going, and then at the end, that woman sings one of most beautiful songs I had ever heard.....But it turns out she was lip syncing. That it was fake.

I was in fucking tears. Just like Laura and Naomi. Crying my eyes out.

Then the movie ended.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 16, 2005, 07:54:38 AM

It does sound like there were drugs involved in your viewing.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #34 on: December 16, 2005, 08:01:42 AM

I'm typing with VERY cold hands atm. Cold. Things may not come out right.

I haven't done meth in years, by the way. It should be out of my system.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Kong  
Jump to: