Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:24:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Patch Notes for Tomorrow 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Patch Notes for Tomorrow  (Read 12168 times)
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

on: December 05, 2005, 05:27:01 PM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 06:17:51 PM

Thanks, Cal.  I'm a wee bit disappointed that there seems to be no fix or work around for the unsticky keybinding issue.  It doesn't mention if there is going to be a wipe.  I was assuming there would be due to all the exploity tossers running around with uber stats.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 06:46:56 PM

The non-retention of keybinding is actually my number one problem with DDO at the moment. I am surprised and disappointed it's not listed.

While the boatload of other issues addressed are certainly important, if the tools used to play the game -- the UI, keybindings, chat windows, etc., which are the foundation of gameplay -- are not working correctly, then the testing/exploring game content and underlying system design issues is made more difficult by having to fight with the UI itself.

Still enjoying it, though, and looking forward to seeing how things have changed tomorrow...

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: December 06, 2005, 06:40:30 AM

To make it easier to discuss:

Dungeons & Dragons™ Online: Stormreach™ Beta 3.5 Release Notes

Combat

* Overhauled ranged combat so that you are never, ever rooted against your will.

o When you want to shoot, just click attack. You'll fire as soon as you click. If you're moving, you'll shoot while you're moving.

o In order to shoot again, you'll need to reload. You must stop moving and let the reload animation play in order to shoot again.

o The Shot on the Run feat is now more accurately Reload on the Run. If you have this feat, you will play the reload animating while moving.

o The Rapid Shot feat now speeds up your reload animation, as well as a few other animations in the shot sequence.

o The Rapid Reload feat speeds up the reload time for crossbows (and only crossbows) by a fair amount.

* Updated all melee attack animations with better timing, attack box sizing, better feat support, and more.

* Melee combat is, in general, slower now, particularly at lower levels.

* There is a small delay at the end of a melee combo string before you can start the next combo.

* Implemented better stacking and functionality for combat speed effects - they should be more apparent and less bug prone. Slow/haste/etc. effects will be more noticeable.

* You can now sneak attack with two-handed weapons.

* All of the melee combat animations have been touched to ensure consistency in timing and collision detection box size.

* Combat callbacks are now consistent with combat animations (e.g., when you swing your right hand weapon, you'll always use the stats from your right hand).

* Two-handed fighting feats will cause you to trigger “glancing blows” in your attacks more frequently.

* Two-weapon fighting feats will increase the number of attacks you get per swing.

Gameplay

* Encumbrance now applies a slight movement penalty.

* If your max encumbrance is 0 (because, for instance, your strength is currently 0), you can no longer pick anything up.

* Using a wand no longer has a chance of rooting you permanently.

* Activating Uncanny Dodge no longer requires an animation.

* Fixed a bug where you could jump very, very high if you jumped repeatedly during a teleport (or any other time your movement was frozen).

* Fixed a problem where you would end up frozen in a fixed pose when entering a body of water.

* Traps re-apply their effect less frequently than they used to.

* You can no longer block while you're falling, climbing a ladder, or hanging from a ledge. You can no longer tumble while you're on a ladder.

* You now have to finish a tumble before you can attack or block.

* Being hit by a melee or missile attack now interrupts resting, opening chests, and logging out.

Monsters

* Many monsters have new ranged attacks which they will use if they cannot engage a character in melee. Be careful!

* Some monsters are now harder to sneak around.

* Mephits are now correctly flagged with the outsider monster type.

* Fixed a problem with monsters sometimes standing in place for a few seconds.

* Spider claw attacks will no longer cause poison damage - only their bites are poisonous now.

* Stealthed or invisible creatures will no longer display a ring beneath their feet when selected.

* Monsters are less likely to get stuck in narrow passageways, and will react better in doorways.

Spells

* Spellcasting has changed to include new animations with more apparent casting speed indicators. You will notice that some spells cast much faster and some cast somewhat slower.

* Slightly reduced spell point totals for clerics, wizards, and sorcerers.

* Increased the duration of some buff spells.

* Clerics and bards now have access to the blindness spell, as per the Player's Handbook.

* Cure Moderate Wounds no longer shows up as both a second and third level spell for paladins. It is now only a third level spell for them, as per the PHB.

* Added new effects to the Death Ward spell.

* Updated the spell description for Chill Touch to reflect the fact that it does negative, not cold, damage.

Characters

* Pre-rolled characters now have stats, skills, and feats in line with what you could actually create. Really!

* If you go to the advanced character generation screen with a non-human character, you will no longer see an incorrect point buy total.

* When you customize a new character and take skill points from the pre-filled skills, you will now be able to re-add points to those skills.

* Fixed some inconsistencies with starting equipment for new characters.

* You can now view a player’s biography by Examining that player.

* If you add a point of intelligence as part of your level advancement, and that extra point increases your intelligence modifier, the skill points you receive for that level will reflect your new intelligence score.

* Reduced the movement penalty that comes into effect at the end of a barbarian's rage.

* Added spell point boosts and healing amplification as possible action point enhancements for paladins, rangers, and bards.

* Removed some warforged enhancements that were not working correctly.

* The Use Magic Device skill focus feat is now available to all classes, as it should be.

* When you play a bard song, you will now hear a bard song.

Items

* It is now possible to find magic weapons, armor, and miscellaneous items with the ability to cast a given spell a certain number of times per day. These charges are reset by using a rest shrine or spending a couple of minutes in a tavern.

* To activate an item with the ability to cast spells, either make a hot key for it or double click on its inventory spot. All normal targeting rules apply for the spell, so make sure you've selected an appropriate target before you use the item.

* Slightly reduced both the quantity and quality of loot from treasure chests.

* Slightly increased the cost of some item repairs.

* Added Masterwork bolts.

* Added Bane arrows and bolts.

* Shields now display their damage reduction value when examined.

* Warforged docents now have more varied looks.

* Tower shields now come in wooden and steel varieties.

* The minimum level requirement for non-healing potions is now one less than the minimum caster level for the potion's effect. Healing potions always have a level requirement of 1.

* Revised material component costs and some material component names.

* Increased the caster level for wands of fireball and lightning bolt from level 3 to level 5.

* Adjusted the durability value for helmets.

* Removed a number of non-functioning effects from treasure items. Items that previously had these effects may no longer have them.

* Moved the khopesh from martial weapon vendors to exotic weapon vendors.

* Axeblock, hammerblock, spearblock, shocking burst, flaming burst, and icy burst are now suffix abilities (e.g., it's a Long Sword of Flaming Burst instead of a Flaming Burst Longsword).

* Added damage amplification items to the game.

* Added damage amplification potions to the game.

* The effects for murky well water and brown froth now function normally in taverns.

* Added some new iconic items from PnP D&D.

Social

* Fixed a problem that occurred when someone was removed from his (or her) guild when he (or she) was not online.

* Guilds can now have only one leader.

* Guild successors now actually work! If the leader resigns from the guild, the designated successor automatically becomes the guild leader.

* You can now successfully resign from your guild if you are the leader, even if you don't have a successor.

* Guild leaders can no longer set themselves as successors. Fancy that.

* If the designated successor leaves the guild, they are no longer marked as the successor.

* The text messages resulting from a character being promoted or demoted now correctly display their new rank.

* Guilds can no longer be renamed.

* You can no longer demote a guild member of the lowest rank.

* Removed a duplicate notice when you are removed from a guild.

* Fixed a bug that would sometimes cause the guild MotD to display twice.

* There are no longer default guild names. You must specify a guild name when creating a guild.

* Cleaned up guild chat. It should be working much better now.

* Added sortable class, level, and area columns to the guild member list. This information will initially be blank for existing guilds; it will populate as guild members log in.

* Improved the stability of the chat system, particularly when in parties.

* Your LFG flag now automatically turns off when you join a party, and you can not turn it back on as long as you're in a party. If you're not the party leader, your looking-for-party info gets turned off as well.

Content

* Added pawnshop vendors to Fare Trades in the House Deneith ward, Second Gauntlet in the House Kundarak ward, Empty Handed in the House Jorasco ward, and the Erstwhile Emporium in the House Phiarlan ward. The Deneith vendors specialize in weapons, the Kundarak vendors in armor, the Jorasco vendors in miscellaneous clothing, and the Phiarlan vendors in jewelry.

* Non-pawnshop vendors will no longer refuse to buy items because they are too expensive. Pawnshop vendors continue to have limits.

* Fixed a number of typos in NPC dialogues and DM text.

* Fixed the name of Dorian, the fighter trainer in the Ruins of Threnal. His name will no longer "poke through" his tent.

* Completing Harbormaster Zin's quest now correctly lowers prices in the Harbor instead of raising them.

* Lord Gerald Goodblade no longer hands out a club for the Ancient Daggers quest, since all characters start with some type of bludgeoning weapon.

* Fixed numerous issues with and made general enhancements to gameplay, appearance, pathing, and item positioning issues of various dungeons.

User Interface

* Added a bindable "Select Nearest Combat Target" key which defaults to the accent (`) key. This will select the closest monster in your field of view.

* NPC conversations will now be echoed to the entire party within dungeons.

* You can now type /sheath to put your weapons away and exit combat mode.

* You can no longer select and deselect spells during character generation or advancement by scrolling your mousewheel over the spell.

* Skills are now sorted first by class/cross-class and then alphabetically the character generation and advancement screens.

* Skills in the advancement window can no longer be dragged.

* Inventory slots now say what they are when you mouse over them.

* After you die, you can no see what your XP penalty is on the XP bar - the penalty is colored in red.

* When you've earned enough XP to level, your XP bar rank will remain at its maximum value until you see a class trainer.

* You can now select the dice displayed during combat from a list in the Options menu. Available colors include Onyx, Ruby, Kobold Brown, and more!

* When percentage dice are now rolled, two ten-sided dice will display to show the result.

* Fixed a problem where it was possible to talk to a vendor, take a few steps back, and open up a shop window which would then never close.

* Made various UI elements a little bit prettier.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 06:41:20 AM

Slightly reduced spell point totals for clerics, wizards, and sorcerers.

I can't imagine that this was necessary.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 07:26:53 AM

While this is specifically related to todays patch, this was also posted up last night

Adventure and EXP Balance

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanted to let you guys know what's going on with balance efforts. We're collecting a lot of useful data from the beta world on the many axes that affect adventure and exp balance. We're currently looking at the average times, fastest times, average number of deaths, number of attempts, completion rate, and several other factors. All of those are being used to help us identify which adventures are unbalanced, broken, or can be exploited.

One of the major factors in our experience formula is the predicted time to complete an adventure. Our initial data was off. Using the data from the Orien beta server, we have completely rebalanced all the times on adventures, based on the average time you guys have completed them at. Those changes should be coming down the pipe fairly soon, and you should start to notice that adventures are a lot more consistent as to how much exp they're giving vs how long they are taking to complete.

The other major factor is a variable called Complexity. This variable was defined as how much thought and ingenuity did players have to employ to finish the adventure. Was the dungeon really mazy and easy to get lost in? Was there a lot of searching required to find a specific item, NPC, or lever? Were there any puzzles? Is it part of a large story arc? Other factors? And as further explained a few paragraphs down, what was the success rate? Previously, this number was just determined on a scale, so a lot of them were close, but not quite right. We’ve gone through and completely redone all the complexity numbers by determining each of the factors independently for each adventure, and then summing up across. In short, the new numbers should be a lot more accurate to the actual adventure than the old ones. This change hasn’t been finalized yet, there’s still a couple of adventures that have be totaled out, but those changes should be coming down the pipe in the next couple of weeks.

Fastest Times - We're using mainly this as a way to determine which adventures are busted. Can you run through what should be a 15 minute quest in 1 minute? If yes, then there's probably an exploit or bug there.

Number of Attempts - This we're using to also determine what content is broken, in both directions. Both not getting enough play attempts and getting too many play attempts point to bugs, exploits, or busted balance.

Completion Rate - This we use in two ways. First, and again, to find out which adventures are broken. Is the completion rate obscenely high or low? Then something is busted. However, we have a very broad range of acceptable completion rates. Currently from about 20% to 80% success is considered acceptable. While it isn't this way right now, while doing the exp re-balance, we are increasing the experience awarded in an adventure based off the average completion rate. So adventures that have a low completion rate will give more experience than a similar one with a higher rate of completion.

So keep playing and plugging away at the content. Know that we are getting numbers based off of your playing and that someone is using those and working with them in a way to try and create as balanced of an experience as possible (my excel sheet to help me with all of this just crossed 2.5 mb this morning). There's a lot of work to do with it (we have a lot of adventures) so don't expect to see changes overnight, but know that there is somebody working on it and you should start to see changes soon.

There were several post expressing concern since so much is busted the data they are collecting is going to be heavily skewed.  Im sure they are aware of this and will have to take a fresh look after the patch as well (especially if there's a wipe).

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 07:39:59 AM

I look forward to seeing the slowed down melee combat.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 07:49:12 AM

I don't know why but this made me giggle out loud.  I get these mental images, you see....

WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 10:17:12 AM

Ditto, but I am concerned that they had to qualify it with MELEE combat. All combat needs to be significantlly slowed IMHO, but I am a TBS whore for life, so I am bit biased.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 10:18:06 AM

TBS whore

I don't know what that means.

WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 10:20:58 AM

I am a big fan of Turner Broadcasting Company. I also enjoy turn based strategy games  :mrgreen:

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: December 06, 2005, 10:48:12 AM

Are you making a "cool" smiley at me, or are you wearing an afro... I can never tell. 

I should have known TBS, but for some reason I couldn't remember.  I think I'm losing my edge and becoming dull.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #12 on: December 06, 2005, 11:17:39 AM

I should have known TBS, but for some reason I couldn't remember.  I think I'm losing my edge and becoming dull.

You're not losing your edge....

your "sanity" perhaps..
..or "marbles"
..or "memory"
..or "grip on reality"
..or "inhibitions"

hell there's lots of fun words you could plug into the sentence "Signe is losing her...."

Xilren

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: December 06, 2005, 11:46:44 AM

Virginity!  No, wait... that's still intact.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: December 06, 2005, 12:04:33 PM

Poor Righ.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Calandryll
Developers

Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 12:36:56 PM

Addition to the patch notes:

"A new outdoor dungeon, Postern Gate Wild, is now accessible from the Harbor. This area has "encounters", much like the waterworks, Tangleroot Gorge, and Sorrowdusk Island (among other areas). You don't need a specific quest to enter it - simply walk on in and tackle encounters as you find them. We're very interested in getting your feedback on this more open-ended style of dungeon."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 12:42:29 PM

Speaking of encounters, is there a way to "complete" the Waterworks and similar areas?  The XP scoresheet suggests that there's a bonus for completing the quest, but I could never find the "quest" part.  I even brought a large group down to Waterworks once and massacred every monster (including that damned troll), but didn't get anything beyond the 25 XP per encounter.  Did we miss something?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 01:56:17 PM

Addition to the patch notes:

"A new outdoor dungeon, Postern Gate Wild, is now accessible from the Harbor. This area has "encounters", much like the waterworks, Tangleroot Gorge, and Sorrowdusk Island (among other areas). You don't need a specific quest to enter it - simply walk on in and tackle encounters as you find them. We're very interested in getting your feedback on this more open-ended style of dungeon."

Though I know this is essentially the equivalent of camping zones, I think it's a good thing for the game. Not only will it give the munchkins somethign to do (and thus leaving the rest of us the fuck alone) so they can min-max every morsel of experience, it gives others something to do just to practice combat.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 02:02:16 PM

Speaking of encounters, is there a way to "complete" the Waterworks and similar areas?  The XP scoresheet suggests that there's a bonus for completing the quest, but I could never find the "quest" part.  I even brought a large group down to Waterworks once and massacred every monster (including that damned troll), but didn't get anything beyond the 25 XP per encounter.  Did we miss something?

That was my question too as the same hold true in places like 3 Barrel Cover.  The exp score sheet showed you could earn like 600 exp for completing the area, but knocking off the small encounter were only worth like 17 exp a piece and didnt seem to to count towards the overall completiont, just optional targets.

Be interested to see the new outdoor dungeon.  I hope it's not like a typical outdoor hunting area of wow or eq i.e. camping and grinding areas which I know people keep asking for...

Xilren

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: December 06, 2005, 03:01:07 PM

You can patch now.

:-(
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 03:13:24 PM by Signe »

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #20 on: December 06, 2005, 05:47:45 PM

I'm crying on the inside. 0% of 1070662806.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: December 06, 2005, 05:50:08 PM

You're the one wearing the Gilligan costume in that picture, aren't you?

(Don't fret too much, server is down anyway... someone said it was up briefly and they got in and there was a wipe.  They might be telling fibs, though)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 05:51:58 PM by Signe »

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: December 06, 2005, 06:19:53 PM

I confess. I was wearing the costume. :( It was all an evil plan really.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: December 06, 2005, 06:43:54 PM

The server doesn't say "down" anymore... it says "closed."  All a bit ominous, if you ask me.  Righ seems to think they are testing the warning messages but I think it's much more sinister.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #24 on: December 06, 2005, 07:41:07 PM

The server doesn't say "down" anymore... it says "closed."  All a bit ominous, if you ask me.  Righ seems to think they are testing the warning messages but I think it's much more sinister.
Everything is fine. Move along. Nothing to see here. ;)

Restart your client. It should show "up".
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 07:43:19 PM by Calandryll »
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: December 06, 2005, 08:08:22 PM

It's ominous! Bad things happening when you logged out in a dungeon. And for some reason...I see myself only in "death" form now at log in. I'm scared and I want a teddy bear.

P.S.

Everything else is peachy keen. Go Turbine for a not so bad patch/update day :P

That's impressive enough.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #26 on: December 07, 2005, 07:01:20 AM

Forgot to answer this yesterday...

Inside the waterworks proper, there is no adventure for you to complete. There are only encounters, which give XP individually. Currently, the XP scoresheet does not make this clear. This will be fixed in an upcoming patch.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: December 07, 2005, 08:02:25 AM

And there needs to be more encounters.  There aren't near enough in there.  And maybe some that are hard and give you good xp.  I like the new adventure instance in the Harbour area... the game needs more of that, too.  The area isn't very big and there's not many encounters and no new types of thingies to bash up.  Maybe there could be places to go in like cool caves and scary houses.  Maybe with grues and other thingys.  Ok... I should make another pot of coffee.

Is it me or does everything just look better?  Character creation is better, too.  Hey!  I think everything is getting better!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 08:04:56 AM by Signe »

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: December 07, 2005, 08:03:40 AM

Everything looks happier. Like Hello Kitty, only .. less ickish.

No, but seriously, it looks great in my opinion and char select is vastly improved over what it was. Good Job.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: December 07, 2005, 08:26:25 AM

I think I like the slower combat, only now I have to train myself not to cilcketyclickclick in combat.

Also, I suck at combat. I died way too many times. I feel like Garrett, in that if I get more than 1 thing on me, I'm hosed. Of course, I also have to stop thinking like an MMOGer and expecting to kill everything in the zone.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #30 on: December 07, 2005, 08:54:45 AM

Also, I suck at combat.

The fact that it's even possible to suck at combat in this game is a big selling point for me.   Thumbs up!

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #31 on: December 08, 2005, 06:14:14 AM

I was happy that my keybindings were still there, but they unstuck when I logged out and back in to fix another problem.   :-(

Lots of stuff wrong now, though, more than before, I think.  Tons of mobs don't fight back, others start shooting at you when you are well out of range or from a place where it hits a wall.  They sometimes strafe to adjust their position, but they don't move forward.  It's the casters and other ranged attack mobs that seem affected.  The whirl around thingy seems to be gone but it's been replaced by suddenly not being able to move at all for several seconds.  It might be lag, I'm not sure.  So far it's only happened while I've been alone. 

Sometimes if you move a bit, the mobs that don't fight will start attacking.  But I'm human... what can I say?  If I find a mob that won't hit me, I'll whack it til it falls over.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: December 08, 2005, 09:50:19 AM

The whirl about thingie is still there, but I also got the stand in place for a few minutes thing as well.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: December 08, 2005, 09:53:34 AM

Maybe they're teaching us something... a dance?  Whirl about, stand in place, whirl about, stand in place, jump to the left, a step to the right, lets do the timewarp again!

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: December 09, 2005, 07:37:39 AM

I've never seen any such thing as a whirl-around dance while playing.

I'm wondering if it's a matter of video drivers? I'm running a GF 6800 GT 256MB RAM 8xAGP. I have the latest NVidia drivers. Have never seen any of the video issues, other than a couple of times on the character screen having a "naked" character (but who is always fully clothed when I log in).

There was one moment the other day when the UI loaded slower than normal -- and for a brief moment I saw empty hotbars, then they suddenly populated. I am wondering if perhaps an empty UI is what you load with and if there is any kind of interruption in the populating of the UI with your particular configuration, it assplodes or creates others issues (i.e. does not recover gracefully from a failed load of the UI content). Perhaps the same thing happens with character clothing?

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Patch Notes for Tomorrow  
Jump to: