Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:45:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: So..Since I can't be a monk 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So..Since I can't be a monk  (Read 13656 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

on: November 21, 2005, 09:20:28 AM

Anyone got something fun to play?  So I can play along.

Just a heads up, I've never been a fan of D&D wizards.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 09:48:44 AM

Cleric and rogue are probably the best solo classes - cleric because they can heal, rogue because they can stealth past things.

I've been finding all of the classes pretty fun, though, at least of the ones I've played.  Wizards in DDO are definitely easier to play than standard D&D wizards, what with the 15 spells per "day" to start rather than 2 or 3, and the 20 bonus hit points.  The standard fighting classes are pretty fun to play if you like wailing on shit.  Bard is fun in groups because you start the game with some very nice group buffs that can turn the tide of a fight.  Really, it's pretty much all good.  Play whatever sounds fun.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 10:11:50 AM

Here, play this first and act accordingly.

Evidently I'm short, fat, feisty and insane.    :-(
Chaotic Neutral Halfling Fighter

Chaotic Neutral characters are unstable, and frequently insane. They believe in disorder first and foremost, and will thus strive for that disorder in everything they do. This means that they will do whatever seems 'fun' or 'novel' at any given time.

Halflings are short and fat, like minuature people. (Think 'Hobbits') They enjoy the easy life, but aren't averse to the idea of an adventure from time to time. They get along with all races, and are known for their senses of humor. Halflings also tend to be light of foot, and can move quietly when necessary.

Fighters are the warriors. They use weapons to accomplish their goals. This isn't to say that they aren't intelligent, but that they do, in fact, believe that violence is frequently the answer.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 10:42:39 AM

I am liking Barbarian for wailing on things and decent soloing, Cleric for grouping (not a strong a soloer once past the first few quests, at least not at first level). I'm about to start testing out the Paladin, maybe over Thanksgiving weekend.

Characters are now:

Jhazira (level 2 human female cleric)
Barghest (level 1 dwarf male wizard)
Khonan (level 1 dwarf male barbarian)
Kuk (level 1 warforged paladin)

Agree though -- play whatever sounds fun. Rogues, if the group is smart and lets them do their thing, add a lot to the success of a quest. If everyone just plays kill-whatever-moves-and-run-towards-anything-shiney-and-sparkley, then the rogue might as well just hang back and be an archer.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Xilren's Twin

Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 11:17:15 AM

Agree though -- play whatever sounds fun. Rogues, if the group is smart and lets them do their thing, add a lot to the success of a quest. If everyone just plays kill-whatever-moves-and-run-towards-anything-shiney-and-sparkley, then the rogue might as well just hang back and be an archer.

Heh, that doesn't work so well in some quests.  Was in a trap filled crypt of undead goodness last week.  Lots of traps, including on chests, and room where doors would close behind you releasing mobs once someone passed a certain point.  Made people stay together and let the rogue work if they wanted to live smiley  I thought it was great.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 01:38:58 PM

lol Signe.

I've always suspected I was evil.

Neutral Evil Gnome Thief Mage

Gnomes are also short, like dwarves, but much skinnier. They have no beards, and are very inclined towards technology, although they have been known to dabble in magic, too. They tend to be fun-loving and fond of jokes and humor. Some gnomes live underground, and some live in cities and villages. They are very tolerant of other races, and are generally well-liked, though occasionally considered frivolous.

Thieves are the most roguish of the classes. They are sneaky and nimble-fingered, and have skills with traps and locks. While not all use these skills for burglary, that is a common occupation of this class.

Mages harness the magical energies for their own use. Spells, spell books, and long hours in the library are their loves. While often not physically strong, their mental talents can make up for this.

Neutral Evil characters believe in Number One. Their personal gain takes precedance over all else, and they will work with whomever necessary and whatever institutions necessary to further their own goals
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 01:40:29 PM

You can multiclass in this right?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 01:50:54 PM

Yeah, just like in D&D 3E.  Signe was a fighter/cleric before the wipe and it seemed to be working well for her.  I tried a rogue/wizard and didn't like it as much; most of what makes that combo work in PnP is being able to use spells creatively, which is a lot tougher in a MMOG.

I took that test and got "Lawful Good Half-Elf Fighter Ranger."  I think now I have to smite all of thee or something.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 01:59:13 PM

Go on, just try and smite us.  Hat will slink into the shadows and zap you with his Evil  Zapping Wand... you won't even see it coming.  I'll just sit in the corner, drooling and giggling insanely.

sigh.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 02:07:21 PM

Oh, man.

Neutral Good Elf Ranger Bard

Just shoot me now ;)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 02:15:37 PM

Hahah, elf wasn't even on my '+1' list.

I win.

Except, I lose.

Add me to the guild.

Amber the Harlot L1 Thief
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 02:17:53 PM

I think Xilren has to have you close enough to stab you with his cursor to join.

Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 02:20:31 PM

Wow -- I can't even play this in DDO since there are no gnomes:

Chaotic Good Gnome Bard Ranger

I guess I could be a dwarf/halfling bard/ranger

That would make me a dwarfling or a halfarf.

Funny, it got a couple of things right:

Chaotic Good characters are independent types with a strong belief in the value of goodness. They have little use for governments and other forces of order, and will generally do their own things, without heed to such groups.

Race:
Gnomes are also short, like dwarves, but much skinnier. They have no beards, and are very inclined towards technology, although they have been known to dabble in magic, too. They tend to be fun-loving and fond of jokes and humor. Some gnomes live underground, and some live in cities and villages. They are very tolerant of other races, and are generally well-liked, though occasionally considered frivolous.

Primary Class:
Bards are the entertainers. They sing, dance, and play instruments to make other people happy, and, frequently, make money. They also tend to dabble in magic a bit.

Secondary Class:
Rangers are the defenders of nature and the elements. They are in tune with the Earth, and work to keep it safe and healthy.

Deity:
Finder Wyvernspur is the Chaotic Neutral god of the cycle of life and the transformation of art, although he leans heavily towards Good. He is also known as the Nameless Bard. Followers of Finder believe that everything must change in order to grow and thrive. Their preferred weapon is the bastard sword.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 07:37:16 PM

Looks like I won't be playing anytime in the near future:

Open up Orien

Analyzing .dat files...

Then the client doesn't load.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 07:58:45 PM

Kill the launcher (it lives in the systray) and start DDO again.  That always fixes it for me.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #15 on: January 09, 2006, 02:04:24 PM

Oh, man.

Neutral Good Elf Ranger Bard

Just shoot me now ;)

Welcome, fellow mangina.

Chaotic Good Elf Druid/Bard

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #16 on: January 09, 2006, 03:38:35 PM

I got
Lawful Good Elf Mage Cleric
Follower Of Mystra

Elf thing aside, that pretty much fits.  That page is very much Forgotten Realms focused, and I'm all for following in the latter footsteps of Elminster. (He was a cleric before he was a incredibly powerful wizard)

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #17 on: January 09, 2006, 03:46:35 PM

How do alignments affect the game?

"Me am play gods"
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #18 on: January 09, 2006, 04:51:42 PM

How do alignments affect the game?

Almost not at all, unfortunately.  The only place that I've seen it have any impact is in items that are tied to specific alignments, e.g. "armor of Stability" gives a special +2 AC bonus to neutral characters.  There doesn't seem to be a way to change your alignment.

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 01:37:44 AM

I've seen no quests, nor items, nor anything that has to do specifically or even sidewise with Alignments. There are quests that have multiple chapters to them - which is about the most "specific" part of this game. Otherwise it's  is not that complicated. This is one of the things that disappoints me, to be honest. There is no variation and what I was hoping for from DDO, which was a lot more player based interaction "in some way", just is not there. Maybe it just wasn't possible.

On the upside though, there are quests that are not so easy to complete solo so the need for interaction is there, the game is beautiful graphically speaking, in my opinion and it does have voice chat which personally, every game should have.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #20 on: January 10, 2006, 04:25:34 AM

I'm pretty sure this is a broken character...

Lawful Neutral Dwarf Ranger Paladin
Follower Of Silvanus

Alignment:
Lawful Neutral characters believe in the triumph of law and order above all else. It does not matter whether the leader is for good or evil; the leader will be followed, because the order they provide is the most important thing.

Race:
Dwarves are short and stout, and easily recognizable by their well-cared-for beards. They are hard workers, and adept at stonework and engineering. They tend to live apart from other races; generally in deep, underground excavated systems, and as such tend to be distant from other races.

Primary Class:
Rangers are the defenders of nature and the elements. They are in tune with the Earth, and work to keep it safe and healthy.

Secondary Class:
Paladins are the Holy Warriors. They have been chosen by a God/dess to be their representative on Earth, and must follow the code of that deity, or risk severe penalties. They tend towards being righteous, but not generally to excess.

Deity:
Silvanus is the True Neutral god of nature. He is also known as the Patron of Druids. His followers believe in the perfect balance of nature, and believe that nature's bounty is preferable to any other 'civilizing' method. They wear leather or metallic scale mail, constructed of leaf-shaped scales. Silvanus's symbol is an oak leaf.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #21 on: January 10, 2006, 04:30:21 AM

I always wind-up as a Ranger and Chaotic or Lawful Good on these things, depending on my mood.  No big surprise here except that I'm an elf.  I figured I'd wind-up human.

Chaotic Good Elf Ranger Fighter
Follower Of Solonor Thelandria

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #22 on: January 10, 2006, 10:24:13 AM

No big surprise here except that I'm an elf.

That's not surprising at all, but then I always picture you as a showering elf chick.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #23 on: January 10, 2006, 01:56:15 PM

Funny how avatar identification kinda sinks in. That's why I like to keep it mobile....should bring back the evil clown, though. But really, my soul is an old bluesman. In a crackerass cracker shell.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #24 on: January 10, 2006, 02:02:42 PM

Y'know, I'm a little pissy that I can't be a druid or a monk.

Cause it sounds like everyone wants to be a rogue.

And aside from those 3, the D&D classes don't really do it for me.  Bards  or Sorcerers... eh, maybe.  But Barbarians, Clerics, Fighters, Wizards, Paladins, just not my type.

Now give me a Hexblade from the Complete Warrior or something from the Expanded Psionic book, and we'll talk.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 02:36:30 PM

Lawful Evil Human Ranger Bard

Alignment:
Lawful Evil characters believe that a nice, orderly system of life is perfect for them to abuse for their own advancement. They will work within 'the system' to get the best that they can for themselves.

Race:
Humans are the 'average' race. They have the shortest life spans, and because of this, they tend to avoid the racial prejudices that other races are known for. They are also very curious and tend to live 'for the moment'.

Primary Class:

Secondary Class:
Bards are the entertainers. They sing, dance, and play instruments to make other people happy, and, frequently, make money. They also tend to dabble in magic a bit.

Deity:
Iyachtu Xvim is the Lawful Evil god of fear, hatred, malice, and tyranny. He is also known as the Godson and the Son of Bane. He appears as a gaunt, naked, scimitar-wielding man, or as a black cloud with glowing green eyes. His followers are working to strengthen his position in the world by converting (often by force) other deities' worshippers. They wear black robes with dark green trim, and wear black iron gauntlets with green eyes on the backs. Iyachtu Xvim's symbol is a black hand, inset with green eyes.

Ummm.....

How come the rest of you are fruity good elves?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 02:37:35 PM

Large ears. It gives it away.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 02:45:38 PM

How come the rest of you are fruity good elves?

Because we're generally good people who deep down believe we're better than everyone else.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #28 on: January 10, 2006, 03:08:08 PM

No big surprise here except that I'm an elf.

That's not surprising at all, but then I always picture you as a showering elf chick.
Funny how avatar identification kinda sinks in. That's why I like to keep it mobile....should bring back the evil clown, though. But really, my soul is an old bluesman. In a crackerass cracker shell.

Note to self: If you ever wind-up at E3 with Sam or Sky lock the door to your room securely and do not get too drunk.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #29 on: January 13, 2006, 02:07:19 PM

If they do, then everybody better have some friends. Because you can't play as a rogue without grouping. A LOT.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 02:25:42 PM

If they do, then everybody better have some friends. Because you can't play as a rogue without grouping. A LOT.

Then I'll probably go Rogue and just stick it out when everyone else gets tired of them.

By the way, what's the penalty for dying?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 02:27:14 PM

Penalty for dying on some missions is you have to redo the mission. On most though, you have to sit in the tavern for a few minutes to heal back up to full, then rejoin the mission.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #32 on: January 13, 2006, 04:29:11 PM

You also get a little bit of XP debt on death, which is dependent on level, I think.  This got tweaked in the latest patch and I haven't yet tested it out across multiple characters levels, so my numbers may be a little off, but last I checked there was no loss whatsoever at level 1, and a loss of something like 200 XP at level 4, which is pretty piddling compared to the reward for finishing a quest successfully.

There's also an XP penalty for re-entering an adventure in progress, which is independent from the death penalty, but the two go hand in hand if you're soloing or if your group isn't able to get your ghost to a resurrection shrine.  I think it's something like -10% to the XP reward for that quest for each re-entry.  (If the adventure resets entirely because you're outside of the instance for more than five minutes, or you abandon the quest, or the quest fails outright, this does not apply since the next time you enter it's with a clean slate.)

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: So..Since I can't be a monk  
Jump to: