Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 09:28:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Market Expansion or Fanboi Conversion? Wow, iPods... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Market Expansion or Fanboi Conversion? Wow, iPods...  (Read 3942 times)
jpark
Terracotta Army

on: November 17, 2005, 06:48:48 AM

I have seen some curious thinking on this point in other threads so I will summarize:

The MMORPG industry has not expanded with WoW large subscription base - it merely has taken its existing fanboi base for other products and brought it into this genre.  WoW subscription numbers do not represent market expansion for the MMORGP genre.

While the following comment has not been made, it seems to me the same logic would have to be applied if you believed it:

The portable music industry has not expanded with iPod retail sales - Apple has merely taken its existing die hard customer base for their other products and brought them into this industry segment.  iPod sales numbers do not represent an expansion of the portable music genre.

Where do you fall on these points?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 07:05:31 AM

Blizzard was already mega-huge, so yeah, it's a lot Blizzard fanboi's (not to mention previous mmo addicts).

The iPod has far more going for it than just an existing fan base. Also, Apple was still in recovery mode when the iPod was released. They didn't exactly have a huge enough fanbase to explain the massive number of iPods that started being sold.
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 07:24:42 AM

Far more people own iPods than own Macs.

Far more people play World of Warcraft than play other MMOs (admittedly the majority of which are in Asia).

Arguing that the market hasn't expanded for either is just patently silly.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 17, 2005, 07:57:36 AM

Far more people own iPods than own Macs.

The iPod explosion has bumped the Mac market segment up (or maybe it's just the grooviness of OS X…) — I believe last quarter the share of Macs amongst new PC sales went up to 7%, almost doubling from its typical 3-4%.  Perhaps the transition to Intel from PPC will put a lull in those numbers as folks wait until the new Intel machines roll out before making a new Mac purchase…

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #4 on: November 17, 2005, 08:55:57 AM

Well, I'll start on pint two:

I have never purchased an Apple product in my life until I bought my iPod last month. I bought an iPod because even though they have limitations, they have the features I wanted (music and photos), combined with a slick interface and a big shiny market presence.

As to WoW: Its the only current MMog I pay for. I bought it because it offered the basic type of game I wanted, combined with a really slick interface and a huge market presence.

The above is a little tongue in cheek, especially the WoW stuff. It doesn't really apply to what you asked either. That's mainly because I don't really believe that either of your initial statements are correct.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 09:42:27 AM

The MMORPG industry has not expanded with WoW large subscription base - it merely has taken its existing fanboi base for other products and brought it into this genre.  WoW subscription numbers do not represent market expansion for the MMORGP genre.

"The MMORPG industry has not expanded with WoW - it has merely brought some of their non-MMORPG players and brought them to the genre"

Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 10:03:56 AM

WoW is beyond the point of just recruiting fanbois and people already familiar with genre, heck I even know people who don't play games who has goten hooked on WoW.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 10:33:38 AM

WoW has certainly increased the MMOG user base.  It's just that right now those users are mostly using WoW, so it hasn't yet increased sales in other MMOG's, once they get tired of WoW there will be some portion of that group who will try other things.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2005, 10:43:25 AM

http://media.putfile.com/Who-is-Leroy-Jenkins

Have you guys seen this shit (Despite the fact the dumb ass's didn't know, still....)?  World of Warcraft as expanded in a huge way, and is very mainstream compared to all other MMOG's.  I personally know several people who don't even play computer games and have either stated playing, or asked me if I can teach them how to play if they get it ("since everybody else is doing it").

Yes, it has expanded the market.

iPod as well, since its a fad, and everybody who is hip and has money therefore must buy it, despite knowing nothing about it.  I imagine this will create a lasting expanded userbase in the portable music market.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2005, 11:09:49 AM

Holy shit, I think I just plotzed.

I wonder how much Blizzard had to pay to get that question in there.

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 11:23:52 AM

"The MMORPG industry has not expanded with WoW - it has merely brought some of their non-MMORPG players and brought them to the genre"

I think the point you are missing from the original argument is the question of whether or not these new players have been "brought.. [in]to the genre" or if they are simply Blizzard fans passing in the night, and when WoW fades they will not ever play another MMOG again (they are not fans of the Genre, but of the dev company)..

Now I think that argument is patently stupid, I enjoy playing games by id, for example, but I only spent 10 minutes putzing around with Doom 75 1/2 before I realized it sucked and id has lost their touch.. So I highly doubt that WoW pulled in a lot of people who are just sticking around in a MMOG because it's "teh Blizzard!11!" and not because they like the genre, thus I suspect that in 10 years (or however long they are able to milk WoW and/or it's sequels), the market will still stay expanded, sure it will shrink a bit as people walk of their cat shit smelling rooms to find a large yellow orb in the sky that burns the very essence of their being straight through to their souls.. but I suspect we've passed the point of no return, no longer are we forever doomed to be a niche market.. *shrug*..

I'm just happy that of the two biggies, WoW and SWG, that the virtual world flopped like a sad little dying fish, and the game drew in the players.. I enjoy playing games more than I do setting up generators to power my hat farm.. Sorry Raph..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Market Expansion or Fanboi Conversion? Wow, iPods...  
Jump to: