Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Game on? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Game on?  (Read 8088 times)
WayAbvPar

on: November 15, 2005, 12:01:33 PM

Anyone going to be about tonight to do some questing? I should be playing ~ 6pm PST or so. Might not be a bad plan to get a TS channel going as well...

I will be playing either Finn (crappy halfing bard) or Khorak Shattersack (dwarven warrior)- both are still 1st level (I R a n00b).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Xilren's Twin

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 03:09:37 PM

I usually get on around 10pm ish EST.  If you're on I can either come join you or fire up a new character.  Sadly, TS is usually just listening for me as I try not to wake the little ones.  Got a fair amount of basic +1 gear Im toting around since the bank's not working....

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 06:28:45 PM

I am on right now (8:30pm CST) trying to find any of you who might be on.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 06:33:02 PM

Most people posted their names and the friends list is working, I think.  I'm not on right now because I have a brand new anti-anxiety med which makes me happy and all I want to do is bounce up and down on my chair while saying "aaaaaaah" over and over.  I think I'll have another.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 07:08:58 PM

Most people posted their names and the friends list is working, I think.  I'm not on right now because I have a brand new anti-anxiety med which makes me happy and all I want to do is bounce up and down on my chair while saying "aaaaaaah" over and over.  I think I'll have another.

Keep the professors away from her. Far away.
WayAbvPar

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2005, 09:08:31 AM

Can you add names to the friends list without targeting the character? I was toying around with it last night with Xilren- I added his name manually to my friends list, but then had to remove that entry and add him again when I saw him in person in order to see that he was indeed online. I seem to remember refreshing the list, and that still didn't make him show up as online with the manually created entry.

For Cal- any way to make the friends list global for each account the way Guild Wars did? List all of an account's characters as AKAs? That made it MUCH easier to track folks down. That would be especially important in this game, since people will be playing alts a lot (or so I would guess).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Xilren's Twin

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 10:11:14 AM

For Cal- any way to make the friends list global for each account the way Guild Wars did? List all of an account's characters as AKAs? That made it MUCH easier to track folks down. That would be especially important in this game, since people will be playing alts a lot (or so I would guess).

Actually, i think it already is.  When I logged in the lvl 1 rogue, all of the friends were already on his list.  That how I knew Soeb/Jhazira was on.  BTW, i totally forgot I had made a guild named Bat Country that i should invite people to.  I think guilds actually work now...

Xilren
PS Boy adjusting my mindset from cleric in plate who can tank to a rogue who needs to avoid face up combat was tougher than i thought.  I kept wanting to go toe to toe with things
PPS What a run of bad luck; i failed to disarm even ONE trap last night.  Grumble.

WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 10:31:53 AM

Hmm...your alt rogue didn't show up on my friends list until I explicitly added you by targeting you. I wonder if it just needed to be refreshed? If that is the case, then the screen should auto-refresh every 30 seconds or so if it left open by a dolt such as myself... :-D

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 11:18:28 AM

Game off imo. If a rogue isn't playing like Garrett, I don't really have any interest in this game, and I don't like mmo in general. Doesn't seem rogues are going to be that kind of thing, unless you exclusively group, since combat is fairly mandatory. Not nearly enough custom content for each class, very generic.

These days an mmo has to be very compelling for me to even think about logging in, I can't muster the energy to log into DDO, I'd rather spend the time working on my guitar skills.

Sorry folks  Heartbreak
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 11:28:02 AM

You're getting old.  Soon your guitar skills will no longer increase as the arthritis sets in and your fingers go all stiff.  You might as well just play game.

Not twitchy ones, though, you old fart.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 11:39:12 AM

combat is fairly mandatory.

Wow, what quests were you doing?  I personally loved rogue because I was able to avoid most of the combat and I still got near full XP for most adventures.  I was always a terrible group player when it came to combat because I'd sneak ahead (leaving the rest of the group to fight the baddies), disabling every trap, looting every chest, and completing every non-combat objective before the rest of the party even got there.

I can run through the market access quests in Waterworks, solo, without baring my blade once.  Or at least I could the last time I tried - from the patch notes, it sounds like they're trying to make that sort of thing harder.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 12:37:45 PM

Sorry I wasn't around later to hook up -- I had to log off earlier than I had hoped. I actually got into a very good pick-up group (imagine that -- after my earlier pick up group rant!).

We did the Dueling Kobold Brothers quest; I was the only cleric (level 1 still). We had a level 2 sorcerer, level 1 rogue, and two level 1 fighters. The rogue died once from a trap -- he had been at near full hp. One of the fighters died because I was out of spell points and failed 3 times to stabilize him wth healing. (In by-the-book 3.5, I think healing auto-stabilizes someone.)

There was some confusion about how the rez shrine and shards worked. We thought you had to carry the shard to the shrine and click the shrine. Instead, it appeared the dead person had to click the shrine (self auto rez?). Not really clear about this.

Overall, the adventure was interesting -- the rogue helped find secret doors (although the full map view pretty much gave away that we had missed a hidden door/wall that required a lever to open, so we found it). As a cleric, I had to really watch the spell points -- the randomness of healing makes it tricky, and I'm hesitant to use my empower healing ability because it increases the cost of the spell by 50% with no real guarantee of increased healing performance.

I notice almost all "duraton" spells (buffs) have one minute timers -- I'm hoping that's a level-thing and that the spells will last longer the higher level I am (like most D&D spells). That will certainly give spellcasters more options since they'll have to spend fewer spellpoints on certain spells to keep them up, giving more points for other spells.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: November 16, 2005, 12:49:46 PM

There was some confusion about how the rez shrine and shards worked. We thought you had to carry the shard to the shrine and click the shrine. Instead, it appeared the dead person had to click the shrine (self auto rez?). Not really clear about this.

From my limited understanding of it, the dead ghost has 10 seconds to run from their corpse to the rez shrine. If they can't get to it in 10 seconds, they are returned to their corpse. A living party member can then take their soulstone to the shrine and rez them that way.

As I said, that is how I understand it. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2005, 12:54:06 PM

I dunno, stealth never seemed to work very good for me and several quests I was unable to avoid combat or it was an objective. I don't remember particulars because I haven't played much since alpha 0.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #14 on: November 16, 2005, 01:59:39 PM

From my limited understanding of it, the dead ghost has 10 seconds to run from their corpse to the rez shrine. If they can't get to it in 10 seconds, they are returned to their corpse. A living party member can then take their soulstone to the shrine and rez them that way.

As I said, that is how I understand it. It certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong...

You're right.  Your soul stone functions as an anchor for your spirit.  You can run outside of it's range for 10 seconds.  If you can make it to a rez shrine by then you can rez yourself.  If not, a party member has to carry your stone to it, then you can rez at 1 hp.

Sobe, most of the cleric buffs like Bless are 1 minute duration per level.  Some, like Divine Favor, are 60 seconds period.  Others like, Resist Fire, used to be 30 minutes so a lot of people were casting that on their party while inside inns, then swapping the spell out for something else before going into the dungeon.  I hadn't tried it since beta1.

Even though you can pretty well spot most secret areas on the mini map, it still takes you spot and search skills to be able to trigger the secret door.  Just like there are optional parts you can find with locked doors, rune door that need a min Int or Wis to open, or blocked/stuck doors that need high Str.

Way and I did the "Kobold's New Leader"  and "Sewer Rescue" last night.  On the whole, I find the longer quests just more enjoyable than the little bitty ones.

Sometimes. you can get one shotted by traps and tough mob's like Ogres (had one take me from 50 hp to -52 in one hit this week; they have some kind of self buf you really want to avoid) but on the whole it's rare unless your playing on Hard or Elite.

Most annoying thing right now for me are the Str draining mobs and traps.  It used to be the 2nd level spell Lesser Restoration would restore lost ability points.  Now it doesn't thus Spiders become more of a pita (watch for the animation that there about to try a poison bite and dodge/block get outta the way).  Using a Rest shrine only gives you back 3 points.  I got nailed by a Str draining trap in a Market quest and actually had zero Str.  Had to switch to by crossbow to hit anything. Gah.

Oh yeah, word to the wise, carry backup weapons.  Ooozes = breakage.

Xilren

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2005, 02:45:44 PM

I dunno, stealth never seemed to work very good for me and several quests I was unable to avoid combat or it was an objective. I don't remember particulars because I haven't played much since alpha 0.

Did you turn on "stealth mode"?  (Usually hotkey 5 by default, it's the icon of a guy being sneaky)  It took me a looong time to figure out that there was such a thing.  If you had the same trouble I did, stealth would appear to not be working.

If you use it, though, even with minimal hide/move silent skill ranks, you can walk right under the noses of most bad guys and they won't spot you.  Notable exceptions are spiders and oozes; spiders are very difficult to sneak past and oozes are impossible.  Kobold shamans also are a bit more perceptive than rank and file kobolds, although you can still sneak by them if you're careful or have lots of ranks.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 06:17:12 AM

Did you turn on "stealth mode"
rolleyes
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Game on?  
Jump to: