Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:07:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Whats up with the Ninja Death Squads? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Whats up with the Ninja Death Squads?  (Read 4247 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

on: May 12, 2004, 11:34:01 AM

Just wondering if anyone else has been assailed by random groups of Ninjas yet?

Myself and a friend poped out of a mission map in steel-canion (i think) only to have my friend suddenly attacked by a squad of ninjas who just seemed to come running across the map from nowhere, slice him a couple of tims, and then rush off into the distance.

I tried to target one, to find out what villian group it was from, but they were gone before I even really had a chance to react.

Anyone know what that might have been about?

Needless to say, it was still pretty cool.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 11:36:52 AM

Perhaps Blake Edwards joined the Live team?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 11:46:17 AM

That was most likely a Tsoo hit squad.

I've had various characters in beta and launch attacked by Clockworks, Tsoo and Vahz, I believe.  Basicaly, when you're working through some of the story arcs, you will piss off certain gangs, who will then send a squad to kill you from time to time.  

I was hunting clocks in Skyway City last night, when a group of ninjas I'd run from (thought I ran into the group accidentally) appeared in the fight (about a mile away from the contact where I'd just grabbed a Tsoo mission).

Dude kept wanting to run, and we were both out of endurance, just activating powers as we could...but we managed to take out both the group of Clocks and the entire ninja squad.

Honestly, I wish it happened more often.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 11:59:31 AM

A bunch of times when I've completed 5th Column missions, about 3-4 Nazis will come running around a corner and start pounding on me when I step out the door. Really annoying when I decide to check my enhancements right after I step out the door.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 12:00:57 PM

I've run across one mission to kill some Skulls in King's Row around level 7-8, and there's always a small group that comes after you a minute or two after you accept the mission. Pretty nifty imo. It's happened each time I've run the mission (three of four total, with different characters).
Alrindel
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 12:20:19 PM

The times I have seen that happening, it has invariably been asshats deliberately training high level mobs into low level gathering areas, like level 20 Tsoos to the Positron-Valkryie statue in Steel Canyon.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 01:24:33 PM

If im not mistaken, when you accept certain missing they give you an oblique warning that "group X" might be gunning for you.  I've had it happen with gangs, clocks and vahz too.  The vhaz one was sort of funny as I had just sprinted by Cevik and when he msgged me a hello I stopped and promptly had a bunch of zombies try to eat my brain.  I think he set me up.

Actually that was also funny in that I was lvl 12 or 13 i think and had just left a mission in Kings Row so the zombie hit squad would have been red purple to probably most of the heroes in the zone.  Bet that cause some flinching when they appeared and started running through the streets.

Another hit occured right after I accepted a clock mission that had with it a temporary EMP Glove power.  I had no sooner added it to my quickbar and 3 clocks swooped down.

I like the variety.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 01:31:30 PM

Now that you mention the temporary power, the mission in King's I was referring to gives you a temporary flash grenade power. Maybe the two parts are linked?
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 01:36:30 PM

The flashbang grenades are a skull thing.

The EMP glove is the first of two (so far) temporary powers I've had in the context of clockwork missions.  I just did a kill 15 with a new, niftier temp power (killer damage and a stun) last night.  It seems to be something that tech (and maybe science or natural) players get to do....test out new weapons on the clocks.

I sort of like to think of it as the U.S. giving the Afghanis experimental weapons back when it was us vs. the USSR.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 02:30:27 PM

I've had it happen with gangs, clocks and vahz too. The vhaz one was sort of funny as I had just sprinted by Cevik and when he msgged me a hello I stopped and promptly had a bunch of zombies try to eat my brain. I think he set me up.

Cevik, your seekrit identity is out! We all know you are Doctor Vahz...admit it!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 02:30:40 PM

No link between the temporary powers and hit squads, but often the mission will have them both.    I've sometimes had hit squads come after me from a "capture x number of y villians" hunting mission.

The unusual thing about SurfD's experience is the ninjas ran off as soon as they appeared.   In my experience the hit squads are usually there to stay until defeated.

cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 02:38:24 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
I've had it happen with gangs, clocks and vahz too. The vhaz one was sort of funny as I had just sprinted by Cevik and when he msgged me a hello I stopped and promptly had a bunch of zombies try to eat my brain. I think he set me up.

Cevik, your seekrit identity is out! We all know you are Doctor Vahz...admit it!

And I would have gotten away with it if it wasn't for you pesky kids!

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Delf
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 10:47:15 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar

Urk. I'd just finished reading a thread named "Milking Dr. Vazhilok", uh, somwhere, and last night I was perusing a photo thread with Cevik's old "obese guy with sombrero" avator, uh, somewhere else. Damn you, Way, for the image your comment caused to form in my brain. Damn you to Hell. In a flaming car.

Back to the thread: I've had Nazis hit me as I left a 5th Column mission, too.

Perhaps this sort of thing was the reason a squad of level 40 Nazis appeared in Steel Canyon the other night?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 13, 2004, 12:32:13 AM

Quote from: CmdrSlack
temporary powers

Last weekend I got energy torrent (energy cone dd+knockback) as a temporary power.

That was fun.

I think you can get more or less any power as temp power if you are high enough and lucky enough.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Xilren's Twin

Reply #14 on: May 13, 2004, 06:01:46 AM

Quote from: geldonyetich
No link between the temporary powers and hit squads, but often the mission will have them both.    I've sometimes had hit squads come after me from a "capture x number of y villians" hunting mission

Actually, there might be.  Last night I got another hunt 15 mission with a temp power last night (this time hunting Lost with a cone dd and stun) and 30 seconds after accepting the mission, here comes the hit squad.  As I was grouped with Cevik and Way at the time, I think they scaled the squad for the 3 of us b/c they sent 10 of 'em, too bad I there we nowhere near me at the time.  :)  Thanks to hit and run tactics with fly and a handy police drone, i survived and got 5 of em.

That 2 temp power missions for me where I immediately got jumped.  I honestly can't remember the flashbang grenade one.  The other mission I do remember was one where I had to take evidence to a city offical and they flat out told me the hellions or skulls were coming for me.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 13, 2004, 07:10:59 AM

I sort of like to think of it as the U.S. giving the Afghanis experimental weapons back when it was us vs. the USSR.

Or when it was us vs the taliban....we'll never learn that everything we sow is eventually reaped.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 13, 2004, 07:16:03 AM

Quote from: Xilren's Twin
Quote from: geldonyetich
As I was grouped with Cevik and Way at the time, I think they scaled the squad for the 3 of us b/c they sent 10 of 'em, too bad I there we nowhere near me at the time.  :)  Thanks to hit and run tactics with fly and a handy police drone, i survived and got 5 of em.

I was in a 6 man group that had a higher average level then me when a kill team caught up to me, there was about 12 of them and they were all yellow to me.  As I did not have the rest of the team with me at the time I had no choice but to run for it.  Fortunately there was a highbie hanging out and they took out the kill team.

My point is the kill teams do scale with your group.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Whats up with the Ninja Death Squads?  
Jump to: