Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:57:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: First Impressions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: First Impressions  (Read 2907 times)
WayAbvPar

on: November 07, 2005, 10:25:53 AM

Ok, so I got a chance to play a bit over the weekend, and thought I would mention some pros and cons I see (forgive me if some of these are just from ignorance).

Pros-
Good character creation system. The facial features are very well done, IMHO, and it feels like D&D for the most part. I would like to see the choice to roll a few dice for attributes. This would be a min/maxer's paradise, but it would REALLY feel like D&D then.

I like the world so far. Has a distinctive feel to it. Some more storefronts (especially with legible signage) would be a nice addition.

I like that is shows dice rolls. Helps keep the PnP feel alive.

Quests are nicely done, at least the few I have been on. So far, they are a bit too linear, but I imagine that will change as they go up in CR.

Overall, I think it is reasonably fun, and seems to be pointed in the right direction.

Cons-
Combat is too fast. Ideally, I would like something turn-based (ala Temple of Elemental Evil), but I could live with something about 5 times slower than it is now. It feels too frenetic and clicky as it is now- more NWN/Diablo than PnP Dungeons and Dragons.

The GUI is nearly illegible at 1600 x 1200. I have to squint to see the chat words, and the icons on my quickbar are hard to distinguish at a glance. Any way to make the GUI bits stretchable? Just a bit bigger is all I would need.

It is hard to stay together as a party in a dungeon. That is partially player problems, but it is too easy to get separated. A /follow command would be useful if one of the party members knows where to go either outside or inside a dungeon.

Not enough to do in the inns/taverns while regenerating health and spell points. How about some min-games to keep people interacting and interested? Gambling  (dice/cards), darts, something along those lines.

More info on the screen- I never know how much coin I pick up without slowly clicking on the stack, reading the amount in the targeting window, and then picking it up. How about a pop up of some kind with the info on it? Similary- I would like to see some more information about what is happening in combat- what feats and spells are being used by my cohorts and I, and what is being used against us?

Would like the ability to be able to study another player and see what they have equipped. The only details I get now are their name and level, for the most part- am I missing something, or is a more detailed screen (like WoW) not available?

All for now. I am sure I will come up with more as I get further into it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2005, 12:37:48 PM

Female Human dancing....It's like watching someone with downs try to do the Elaine dance from Seinfield.

What's with the G-String undies and Body by Victoria bra? I had a slime kill my armor in a mission and was a bit embarassed to run around.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 12:45:00 PM

That's exactly what I said about the human dancing somewhere in this mess of threads.  I won't ever dance in this game... they really need to do something about most of the emotes, though.  They are simply horrible for the most part.  Not lfh, though... that one is cute.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: First Impressions  
Jump to: