Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:33:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Names 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Names  (Read 3311 times)
jpark
Terracotta Army

on: November 05, 2005, 09:42:58 AM

I am a bit out of the loop but I am told there was a notice sent out by CoH that if you were not currently subscribed - current subscribers creating new characters could choose and obtain a name you had on our inactive account.

Anyone have any details on this?

It's good that it recognizes the power of a name - which holds great appeal to a lot of players - but I am not sure this implementation is the best way to go about it.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: November 05, 2005, 10:44:57 AM

This was the email:

City of Heroes® and City of Villains™ Character Name Policy Change

Starting 10/24/2005 the City of Heroes® and City of Villains™ character name policy will change. Names for characters under level 35 on game accounts that have been inactive for over 90 days will be changed to unreserved status. This means that those names will become available for new character names if picked by an active player. This policy is being enacted in order to free up character names based on player feedback.

If your game account is inactive for over 90 days and you reactivate your account you will need to log back in to any characters affected by this policy to move them out of unreserved name status. If your old character name has been taken by an active player, the game will prompt you to rename your character. You will be given only one opportunity to rename your character. It is possible that your character name may still be the same if an active player has not chosen to use that character name. Your global handle will not be affected.

All characters in an unreserved name status will be shown in your character selection screen; however, their photo will not be shown, indicating that they are in unreserved name status.

If you do not log into the game with a character in unreserved name status, the character’s name will remain available to any active player until you log that character into the game. Logging into the game with the affected character will change the character’s name status back to reserved

I think they have the info about it on the CoH site in the News section.  I think they also clarified that inactive means unapid, not just unused.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #2 on: November 05, 2005, 12:24:14 PM

What Signe said.

If your account is closed for 90 days or more, your names are "up for grabs".  If you resub and go to play one of those characters, a prompt will pop up asking you to rename them.

Names I've stolen thanks to this:
Mimic
Gravastar
Strix

Contempt and Horde were already unused before this policy, believe it or not.

But I have some serious name equity on Virtue now.  I bet my account is worth like two thousand dollars because of those names.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 01:10:26 PM

I got Trouble, Queen Maleficent and Creeping Ivy... I bet mine is worth eleventy-one thousand dollars.  At least.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 10:05:57 PM

Fortunately I managed to retain my names Moon (healer defender) and Jitters (Ice Controller) but lost most everything else.

I just don't know that I am too crazy about this policy.  It means for example my friends list from several months ago is likely permanently useless.  I just wonder if this erodes the community somewhat by placing perhaps too much weight on those with active subscriptions.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 10:26:28 PM

It means for example my friends list from several months ago is likely permanently useless.

Friends lists are automatically updated.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2005, 07:04:53 AM

Too bad my main was only 24 due to the grind setting in. Looks like I was right, I'm done with CoH for good. I used to like playing 2 months a year, every six months.

I understand the need, but that was a shitty way to implement it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: November 07, 2005, 07:05:46 AM

I'm sure I've lost "Issues" (Empaty/ Psychic) Def and "Radiance" Fire/Rad controller. So sad.. but then I only had passign thoughts of playing again.  Usually quelched by finding a console game to occupy me instead.  Anyone who wants those names on the Guardian server go ahead and give 'em a try.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 07:39:56 AM

You don't have any time anyway, Sky.  Remember?  You've told everyone all over the intarwebs that you don't have ANY TIME AT ALL EVER to play games.  You are the busiest man in the world! 

No, I don't know why I'm picking on you.  I just got this urge....

I'm better now. 

I also don't play the game consistently but enjoy it every so often.  I have cancelled for more than 90 days and returned, twice.  The next time I cancel will probably be the last time I play.  The game doesn't have enough content to keep me happy long term, but the combat (and travel powers! woot!) are very entertaining from time to time and that's why I quit and return so often.  The name thingy, while it might be a good peace offering to subscribers to make up for the whole ED thing... is probably enough to make me not bother again once I leave. I'm very lazy about that sort of thing.  Well, that and I'm pretty sure they'll throw another spanner in the works if they think people might still be levelling too quickly.  Must keep them subbed as long as possible, you know!

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 07:51:31 AM

I really wish I had a level 50 Gravity Controller. I really do. What exactly I would do at lvl 50, I don't know...But still.

I never will though. I can't. Even if I had a desire to grind, the rest of my being would go "Nah, to hell with that." I'm naturally disposed to avoiding it.

I've gone and will get....Nowhere in this game. And it's a damn shame.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 08:06:57 AM

I've gone and will get....Nowhere in this game. And it's a damn shame.

Same here. Nevertheless, I will give city of villians a try.  rolleyes

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 08:14:38 AM

You don't have any time anyway, Sky.  Remember?  You've told everyone all over the intarwebs that you don't have ANY TIME AT ALL EVER to play games.  You are the busiest man in the world! 

No, I don't know why I'm picking on you.  I just got this urge....
Well, that's true and all...BUT DON'T TAUNT THE HAPPY FUN CLOWN!

:-D
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Names  
Jump to: