Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Ravinica Release 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ravinica Release  (Read 2834 times)
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

on: November 02, 2005, 05:43:55 PM

Well, all release events are officially a go now.

I'm in the middle of my first draft,  moving on to Round 2.  Heavy W/G,  splash of Red.  I busted a photohydra (5cc, 1/1, prevent damage done to it, instead add that many counters), 3 Warsong Trumpeters (pseudo R/W Master Decoy), and a pack of great cards for my deck type.  I churn out tokens like a mad man.

I also have a Dark Confidant and the fucking insano BU "target player mills 10 cards" card.  Forgot the name.  Can't play because I have piddling little Black or Blue.  The 10 tix it's going for just funded me for a while, though.  cheesy

I'll say... seems like a great set to draft.  Round 1 was very close (2-1, me),  but we both seemed to be throwing down great cards.  Not much cheese evident so far.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 06:42:11 PM

Jesus, release events already started?  I just bought Fear and Civ 4!  Can't these fuckers give my wallet some healing time?  :-D
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 10:42:30 PM

By the time I got on at 7:11 all the leagues for 11/2 had started, so I logged off and will try again another day.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 01:34:02 AM

5 minutes after one closes another one opens.

I am in a league right now. So far my impression is that Rav is a *lot* more fun than 9th or Kami. Lots of interesting cards, both myself and my opponents spent a lot of time thinking about plays. In 9th the game almost plays itself, here it isn't straightforward at all a lot of the time.

My card pool sucks so right now I'm 1-2. I haven't seen too many cards I would consider super bombs. I got a Sisters of Stone Death but she costs a lot of mana to deploy and a lot of mana to use. I built a red-white-green deck then switched to green-black-blue after I realized that saproling tokens by themselves just aren't so hot when you don't have Overwhelm (big +/+ to all creatures) or some large things to convoke into. An army of 8 1/1s really doesn't get the job done.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 04:42:34 PM

5 minutes after one closes another one opens.

I am in a league right now. So far my impression is that Rav is a *lot* more fun than 9th or Kami. Lots of interesting cards, both myself and my opponents spent a lot of time thinking about plays. In 9th the game almost plays itself, here it isn't straightforward at all a lot of the time.

My card pool sucks so right now I'm 1-2. I haven't seen too many cards I would consider super bombs. I got a Sisters of Stone Death but she costs a lot of mana to deploy and a lot of mana to use. I built a red-white-green deck then switched to green-black-blue after I realized that saproling tokens by themselves just aren't so hot when you don't have Overwhelm (big +/+ to all creatures) or some large things to convoke into. An army of 8 1/1s really doesn't get the job done.

Combine your tokens with sac effect creatures.  Elvish Skysweeper(G; 1/1; G4, sac a creature and destroy target creature with flying) is a bomb.  Some of the Golgari (G/B creatures) have great sac effects.

I've made it to the finals in two drafts with a G/W/r deck.  Especially with a Moldervine Cloak or other recurring pump.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 06:25:32 PM

This is a league so I'm stuck with what I've got - lots of great token creation but no way to pump them up, sac them, and nothing worth convoking. But unlike other leagues losing is still fun. (Except for one game when I went 10 turns without drawing a land - that was no fun at all)

Edit: I started 0-2 but won the last 3. I'm in top 32 right now but it won't last. Still I should be set for a couple of boosters at least. My MVP was probably Sewer Dreg, 3/3 Swampwalker for 5. I don't think I played a single person who didn't have swamps. The Selsnya guildmage (put token into play or +1/+1 to each creature) as also very handy, as was the GW put token into play gold guy. A lot of games boiled down to Sewer Dreg doing his thing while tokens chump blocked huge creatures.

Match 1 I played RWG, match 2 GBU, match 3-5 WGB. Took me a while to find the right combination. In the end I had a pretty nice deck where I was happy to draw just about any card in it.

Tip I'm stealing from a MTGO article: For sealed deck line up all your cards in the following order: Red, Boros, White, Selsnya, Green, Golgari, Black, Dimir. That way you get a good sense of how strong your various colors are.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2005, 12:20:10 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: November 04, 2005, 12:38:06 PM

This set is AWESOME
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Ravinica Release  
Jump to: