Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 07:32:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Looks like I've been sucked in. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Looks like I've been sucked in.  (Read 2920 times)
Special J
Terracotta Army

on: November 02, 2005, 10:59:09 AM

So once you've been on the 5-colour crack you never really ever kick the habit. There's a reason those tournament packs are about the same size as a pack of cigarettes.

I played from Revised up to the Urza block where my interest tailed off.  Just dusted off my monster boxes of cards to play with a pal and I picked up the core game set to get the latest rulebook and a few shinies.  Well, since you get the same set of cards and a MTGO account I'm playing online as well. 

I can't really get my head around buying boosters that don't physically exist though. Especially since I pay $3 CDN for a real booster versus $3.69 US for a 'virtual' one. Though I may take a crack at the Ravnica release league.

Anyway if you see specialj99 around you can challenge my all commons burn deck if you like.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 05:46:29 PM

Ahhh, welcome!

Most of us here are a bunch of draft nuts,  though Raging Turtle and I are into Constructed as well.

If you're going to bust a pack,  you might as well buy 3 and ante up the 2 tix to draft.  You get a fun game,  and even if you're just drafting for cards it's your choice.  You keep all cards you draft.

If you get to be decent at draft,  or just damn lucky, you can win a fair amount of packs.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 06:40:59 PM

Check out regular leagues too - Lots of games, everyone starts on equal footing (One tourney pack plus a few boosters, so you can't buy more cards to do better than someone else).  Theres more info on these boards.

Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 08:48:20 AM

Talk about being out of practise.  Stupid plays, bad decks or just clickin the wrong thing, I'm learnin the hard way.

Oh, and I hate the goddamn interface, that has cost me a match on its own. Spend all my time trying to figure out how to do shit that I run out of time or screw it up.  Had a brilliant play lined up to win a match (Fiery conclusion to tap a regening flyier, hunted dragon, give him double strike, and finish with a lightning helix the next turn) and I frig it up, getting burned for the 1 mana i would have needed to trigger Sunhome.  I tell you that is damn frustrating.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 03:42:13 PM

I screw up all the time. Probably one third of the games I lose in draft are due to some rule misunderstanding, a misclick or just some bonehead play on my part like miscounting.

It is very frustrating. I never had that problem in paper magic, I just don't pay enough attention when playing online.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 12, 2005, 03:00:46 PM

One thing I found helps a lot with the concentration is closing down the magic client and restarting it between each match.

The game has such a godawful memory leak I find the worst thing for my concentration is the slow response and stuttery graphics that start to kick in after 3 or 4 games without a restart.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Looks like I've been sucked in.  
Jump to: