Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:45:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Help clear something up for me please 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help clear something up for me please  (Read 3748 times)
Wasted
Terracotta Army

on: October 31, 2005, 02:44:17 PM

CoH never got an Australian release as far as I saw, so I was a bit surprised to see CoV on the shelves.  I had thought this was an expansion for CoH but I cant see anything on the box that says it requires CoH to play.   So is this an expansion or a stand alone client?  I'm all confused now.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 02:46:48 PM

Yes to both.  It can be used alone, but is also billed as an expansion.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 03:50:58 PM

You can either upgrade your CoH account (expansion), pay the same (well, they actually raised the sub 0.04 USD but that's another story) - OR - if you don't have or want CoH, you can use it as a complete game for the same sub fee as CoH.  If you already own CoH, however, there is no reason not to reactivate it if you've cancelled and upgrade to use it as an expansion.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:47:24 PM

ok thanks.

So buying CoV alone means I am limited to creating villain characters only?  Will there be zones and parts of the game I wont have access to?  Most games seem to make it pretty clear whether its an expansion with original client included or whatnot, I dont know whether i'm having a stupid moment or if they made this more confusing than it needed to be.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 07:04:19 PM

You will only experience the villain side of things.  No Heroes.  No hero zones.

City of Villains is a complete game on its own.  It's not a "new" game, per se, but it's complete and can be played entirely without City of Heroes.  You even get to PvP with heroes- you just can't join them or go into their "safe zones".

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Swede
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 11:58:08 PM

So... If I just have CoH, will I be able to do PvP vs Villians?

Lax
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 01:28:34 AM

Initially, my understanding was that you would have to have both titles to do PvP.

However, since Issue 6 (the patch for CoV) has been released, everyone has been able to enter the PvP zones (Warburg, Bloody Bay, Siren's Call) regardless of whether or not they own City of Villains.  I can personally attest to this.

So, unless this changes and I doubt it will, yes, you can PvP with the opposing faction even if you only own one or the other of the two titles.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 01:55:45 AM

Initially, my understanding was that you would have to have both titles to do PvP.

However, since Issue 6 (the patch for CoV) has been released, everyone has been able to enter the PvP zones (Warburg, Bloody Bay, Siren's Call) regardless of whether or not they own City of Villains.  I can personally attest to this.
Which explains this painfully long 1.6 GB download I'm doing right now.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 06:08:50 AM

Yes, that's another point.  If you're adding CoV to your existing CoH account, you'll download the CoV zones as part of the Issue 6 patch.  There's no need to install anything from the CoV CD.  You'll only need the CD key (which you can buy right from NCSoft online, btw).  You just launch CoH as normal and you can create villains and access the villain-only zones right from the same screens as you do your heroes.

Over and out.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 10:48:48 AM

Could I get a CoV key (I dont have CoH) and d/l the game?  If so I might, I can't stand going to gamestores and buying another stupid box and cd case that just sits around getting in the way.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 10:51:58 AM

Hmm.  I know a friend of mine did that for CoH when it was first released so I'd think you could do it for CoV, too.  But I don't know for sure.

Over and out.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 11:20:50 AM

I think so, too.  This takes me to the page where you can buy instantly, but I think you have to be logged into your PlayNC account to access it.  It doesn't seem to work if I'm not logged in.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Swede
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 03:00:17 PM

Yeah you can do that, I grabbed both CoH and Guildwars tru their site. Which rocks.

Lax
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 07:16:21 PM

Could I get a CoV key (I dont have CoH) and d/l the game?  If so I might, I can't stand going to gamestores and buying another stupid box and cd case that just sits around getting in the way.
You should be able to. Go to:

https://store.plaync.com/home.php

and click on the CoV Buy the Game Instantly... link.

The installer download can be found here:

ftp://ftp.cityofvillains.com/client/US/
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Help clear something up for me please  
Jump to: