Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:22:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Lots of Stuff Today 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lots of Stuff Today  (Read 6675 times)
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

on: October 31, 2005, 11:54:59 AM

In preparation for the official start of Beta, we will be performing a character wipe on Thursday, November 3rd. While we do our best to avoid these wipes, this one is necessary in order to accommodate some of the new features in the Thursday update, such as character last names. Following this character wipe, we hope to avoid another one for as long as possible but there is always a chance if the situation necessitates it. We appreciate everyone’s understanding with this and look forward to hearing your feedback on the Thursday update.

As a reminder, we have an event scheduled for Tuesday, November 1st. During this event all characters will automatically gain four times the normal XP when they complete quests. After the event, the XP bonus will be double the normal gain until the character wipe. This will be your chance to earn a lot of bonus XP so you can gain that extra level or two and check out some new quests and areas before the character wipe – and, of course, don’t forget to give us your feedback on these on the forums and in the dungeon surveys!. The event starts at 7pm EST and ends at 10pm EST.

The new forums are available! In order to use the new forums you will need to retrieve your unique forum registration key by logging into http://beta.turbine.com with your Alpha account. After you have your key, you can go to http://betaforums.ddo.com/register.php and use your registration key to create a new account. We hope you like the new forums!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 12:03:28 PM by Calandryll »
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 12:36:23 PM

Cool! Character wipes are a fact of life in testing- people really shouldn't sweat them. My PC is up and running again, so I will get to check in sometime this week. Maybe after the Thursday update.

Thanks for heads up, Cal!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 03:00:29 PM

I'm really hoping the Thursday update will fix things like the spell point exploit (I just became aware of this one last night) and the massive loot farming.  If that's the case, it'll be worth the wipe to bring all the power levels back into equilibrium - I was getting tired of being the only gimp in every group I joined who hadn't fully decked himself out over the course of twenty Irestone runs.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: November 04, 2005, 02:13:38 PM

Can I have some chat bubbles, please?  You don't have to give them to anyone else and I won't tell.  I need them more than other people.  I'll die without them.  If you give me some, I'll be your best friend.  If you don't, I'll run over your dog.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #4 on: November 04, 2005, 02:19:00 PM

Can I have some chat bubbles, please?  You don't have to give them to anyone else and I won't tell.  I need them more than other people.  I'll die without them.  If you give me some, I'll be your best friend.  If you don't, I'll run over your dog.

Signe and her moped... beware.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2005, 08:36:46 AM

I think there should be a separate forum on the official boards for people to discuss story arcs and lore... at least, when they get some.  They ARE planning on getting some, right?   I can tell people are itching to talk about it, there's just no place to do it really.  I've heard people say that the game kind of, sort of feels like the PnP D&D but doesn't feel at all like Eberron.  I don't know what they mean, really, but I bet they'd be more willing to discuss it if they had a dedicated forum.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2005, 10:21:25 AM

There was a "Content" forum on there, but most of the posts I read were along the lines of "OMG WHEN I FARM IRESTONE FOR THE SEVENTEENTH TIME IN ONE DAY I DONT GET AS MUCH LOOT FIX THIS OR I QUIT".  Or maybe those were just the ones that I remember most vividly.  In any case, I didn't see any discussion of actual story content in there.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2005, 10:37:43 AM

But they are going to have some, right?  Otherwise, it's just a game where people group together and do instances.  Perfectly fine for friends who want to play D&D but aren't in the same geographic location or people looking for a simple diversion.  In that case, and I don't think IS the case, then it's NWN, really.  Nothing wrong with that although I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for it.  No reason not to supply those who buy the product with a toolkit to create their own campaigns and stories.

I'm sure they'll be working on story content and lore... there's probably plenty of time for it.  I don't know what they are projecting the release date to be, but as it's only just left the alpha stage, it's probably quite a bit down the road.  I think they say first quarter, 2006... but you know how those things go.  Surely way to early to make any sort of decision on whether or not to buy, but, of course, people will do just that anyway. 

Damn people... it's no wonder they are all hated by other damn people.  People are like klien bottles filled with poisoned M&Ms, arent they?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 07, 2005, 07:55:15 AM

Otherwise, it's just a game where people group together and do instances.  Perfectly fine for friends who want to play D&D but aren't in the same geographic location or people looking for a simple diversion.  In that case, and I don't think IS the case, then it's NWN, really.

Had my first real play session last night. Initial thoughts were, damn this happens really fast for D&D. Too fast. Seems a lot like Guildwars, "Only BETTER AND FASTER". I really found myself wishing for a turn-based mode.  Did I mention, that for someone of my advanced age, things happen too fast? Maybe a "bullet-time" button would be helpful.

Then I found I could jump on top of a crate and snipe everything in a mission, not have it attack me and it went a lot better. Also having one person agro the mobs and run them all over the place and another person snipe them is a bit too effective.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: November 07, 2005, 08:49:11 AM

This is why we can never play super twitch games again... we either have lost our twitch or we have started to twitch too much on our own.  We'll never hang with the cool kids again.  That's ok, though... we have wisdom. 

Right?

(I don't think it'll get too twitchy in DDO, though... hopefully)

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #10 on: November 07, 2005, 11:12:31 AM

I personally like the "twitchy" (twitchy in quotes because it's still nowhere near the average FPS but is still leagues past most MMOs)  combat - I consider it a plus that I can't play the game and surf the web at the same time.

I did notice Furiously having trouble with the melee combat, though.  My girlfriend got a bit confused when I started yelling at the screen "JUST WHACK IT!  WHACK IT!"

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 07, 2005, 11:59:44 AM

I think 1/2 of it was the damn mouselook. Need to figure out what the autoattack key is also. Doing a bit too much mouse work.

Tab key is a bit funky too - monsters have too be very close to use it. Then half the time I end up targeting a chest or barrel.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: November 07, 2005, 12:20:29 PM

Tab key only targets a crate if you're in that one particular mission with the special targetable crate that you're supposed to protect; it'll only target monsters in most cases.  But yeah, it only works in melee range; if you want to shoot stuff you'll need to click on it to target it.

Auto-attack is configurable; I think it's number 1 on your hotkey bar by default, but you can drag it elsewhere (or remove it).  It shows up as "Attack" in your feats list.  As of Beta 1 they also added an "auto attack" to the focus orb, so once you have something targetted you can click on it there to keep swinging.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13 on: November 07, 2005, 12:24:47 PM

Just hit the keyboard 1 key after you target or put the attack icon where you want it in your hotkey bar.  I agree about the targetting, there needs to be much more distance.  Sometimes I can't even click on a mob with the mouse until I'm almost on it, too

Here is a list someone posted recently to the beta boards:

General

/alias -- text alias support
/bug -- Usage: /reportbug < code | content > < description >
/exportoptions -- Usage: /exportoptions <filename>
/hart -- Usage: /hart <add <type (0-5)> <description> | close <ID> | list>
/help -- Usage: /help <cmd_name>
/importoptions -- Usage: /importoptions <filename>
/loc -- gives your location
/location -- same as /loc
/reportbug -- Usage: /reportbug < code | content > < description >
/shortcut -- Usage /shortcut < numbers on | off > | < text < shortcut location> < text string > >
/squelch -- Usage: /squelch add < name> : adds player to squelch list
/squelch remove < name > : removes player from squelch list
/squelch status : displays the players on you squelch list
/suilcide -- speaks for itself, very handy. Usage: /suicide < text >

Communication

/chat -- Usage: /chat [ addwindow | addtext ]
/chatfont -- Usage: /chatfont set < text type > < font type> < text type >
/chatfont fonts
/chatfont colors
/go -- Usage: /go <msg> - sends <msg> to all officers in your guild.
/gu -- Usage: /gu <msg> - sends <msg> to entire guild.
/p -- Usage: /p <msg> - sends <msg> to party
/say -- Usage: /say <msg> - general chat
/r -- Usage: /r <msg> - sends <msg> to last person who sent you one.
/reply -- same as /r
/retell -- /retell <msg>
/tell -- Usage: /tell <target_name>, <msg> - sends a private tell to a player

Emotes

/e -- Usage: /e <text>
/em -- Usage: /em <text>
/emote -- Usage: /emote <text>
/emotelist -- lists all emotes

/angry
/beg
/bow
/cheer
/clap
/cower
/cry
/dance
/kneel
/laugh
/lfh (looking for ham)
/nod
/point
/salute
/shakehand
/shrug
/sit
/sleep
/wait 

There is a quick start .pdf in the game folder but it's not very useful.

I don't care much for clicking and I resort to it way too often in this game. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Lots of Stuff Today  
Jump to: