Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:24:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  AGC '05  |  Topic: MMOG Rant session - realtime shit, yo 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMOG Rant session - realtime shit, yo  (Read 95281 times)
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #35 on: October 30, 2005, 07:37:37 PM

So how is Shadowbane doing these days?  Got any decent "nuetral" links on its status?  o how I yearn for the days when it was considered PK Mecca. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #36 on: October 30, 2005, 07:52:22 PM

So how is Shadowbane doing these days?  Got any decent "nuetral" links on its status?  o how I yearn for the days when it was considered PK Mecca. 

Start a new topic in MMOG Discussion to discuss this, Cheddar.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #37 on: October 30, 2005, 08:32:49 PM

Well, I'm glad she's finally here. I have Sachant to partly thank for one of the better experiences I've had in online gaming (I think?!).
Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #38 on: October 31, 2005, 07:11:48 AM

That almost sounds dirty.   tongue

Sachant
Bartle Test Killer  73% , Socializer  60%, Explorer  60%, Achiever  6%
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #39 on: October 31, 2005, 09:04:53 AM

I did get your response.  Twice!  I am preparing my response to your response.   tongue 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #40 on: October 31, 2005, 10:56:51 AM

Phew.. as long as my response to your response went through even with subsequent responses and now I will look forward to your response and most likely respond accordingly.

Sachant
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #41 on: October 31, 2005, 12:05:58 PM

Gordon – What’s the smallest possible scale I can do this on and get people playing together. You can build Runescape for a couple million instead of $50. You need to get people playing games on the web. We’re PC game nuts. We buy new machines. We’re self-reinforcing a hobby instead of looking at the mass. What we do will never be done by 10s / 100s of millions of players. But we’re chasing the hardcore. We’re in a pond, I want to play in the ocean. The pond is interesting, but it won’t change the world. A few 10 million won’t change the world, you have to go to a different playing field.

Haven't read the whole thing, but I've been saying this shit for years. I  Heart this man.

Also, I love how Mulligan shits on WoW as they dance with money hats on the grave of her dreams.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #42 on: October 31, 2005, 02:45:08 PM

That almost sounds dirty.   tongue

It was. You burned my city to ashes, I think.

It was fun though  smiley
Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #43 on: October 31, 2005, 03:27:46 PM

Ooooh.  Burning cities to the ground IS very fun.   evil

Sachant
Psychochild
Developers

Near Death Studios

Reply #44 on: November 01, 2005, 06:19:36 PM

Also, I love how Mulligan shits on WoW as they dance with money hats on the grave of her dreams.
Popular doesn't mean good.  Most people have realize that WoW is just one of a line of Diku clones.  Sure, it's made a lot of money but what has it done to really move the industry forward?  About the only things I can see is that it's shown that a good brand name (both Warcraft and Blizzard) means big sales, it's shown that dumbing things down is popular, and it's shown that Diku clones are still popular.  Hey, good on them that they've made tons of money, but those of us interested in more than just pure profit wouldn't mind something more.

Have fun,

Brian 'Psychochild' Green
Former Developer, Meridian 59  http://www.meridian59.com/
Blog: http://psychochild.org/
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 02, 2005, 08:48:37 AM

I'd say it shows polish can lead to profit.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #46 on: November 02, 2005, 09:48:48 AM

It also brought at least a good 3 million people in who weren't playing MMOG's before. When those people get tired of WoW, there's all these other things they can try too. It expanded the market, something I'm sure other games will reap the benefits of in the 3-4 months before WoW's expansion releases.

It also showed that fun was good, casuals will stay if you have a shallow leveling curve instead of a punitive grind, and that PVP isn't anathema to everyone if you put some restrictions on it.

It's also fun.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 02, 2005, 11:52:25 AM

;)

You seem to be developing an eye tick. You might want to get that looked at.

Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #48 on: November 02, 2005, 01:21:14 PM

Yeah I'm due for a checkup.  :)

WoW is fun at it's core.  It's polished, it's smooth and it's pretty.  Yet, It just couldn't hold me for as long as I would have liked.  Once you start watching paint dry in molten core or killing Onyxia over and over you just lose sight of what was fun to begin with.  I'll probably get the expansion and start my account again just to see it.  I like seeing what other games are doing anyway.  I've been jumping into games here and there and I think I want to start keeping a comparison chart of all the different games and what they offer.  I think it would be interesting to see who is using what more comparitively and who is finding success with which things.

I'm still somewhat dissapointed in the minimalistic PvP in WoW.  It's also fun and takes a degree of skill but not really as much as I'd like.

Sachant
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #49 on: November 02, 2005, 02:02:45 PM

For some reason, it's just very, very easy to walk away from WoW.

I have friends there, was invested in the social aspect as anyone could expect to be, was up to level... 42 or 43, well on my way to getting my own mount, decently equipped, and not HATING the game... but I don't know.  I just one day said, "You know, I really don't care to continue this."  Sent all my gold to a good friend of mine, logged out and cancelled the account.  And I haven't looked back (except at the Blood Elves, but I'm a sucker for badass elves- night elves are too fluffy).

I can't really explain why it was so simple for me to walk away.  I think I was as invested as one can be to a game.  Just one day my interest went poof.

At a guess, knowing that the end game was largely raids and that I didn't have much to look forward to probably played a role.  This was before battlegrounds.  But I don't much care about those either.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #50 on: November 02, 2005, 03:24:52 PM

For some reason, it's just very, very easy to walk away from WoW.

I find it very easy to just walk away from all MMOs nowadays. I haven't agonized over quitting since EQ or UO.  Might be a maturity thing, dunno.

-Rasix
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #51 on: November 02, 2005, 05:28:47 PM

Both WoW and Guild Wars were very easy to quit.

DAoC was not easy to quit.  I finally had to sell my account (you didn't hear that) to put the final "DONE" stamp on it.

CoH has been so hard to quit that I haven't quit since release.  Even when I was playing WoW or Guild Wars and almost never logging in to CoH, my account was open.  At that point I was completely bored but I still couldn't quit.  And I've been having fun again since the release of Issue 5.

Horizons was laughably easy to quit.  A couple weeks into it I thought "I've been playing this game for a couple weeks, I still don't know what the fuck is going on, I'm bored with the gameplay, it looks like shit, and there's nothing interesting happening in the story. Cya."  And serverwide unlockable races sounded so cool.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #52 on: November 02, 2005, 05:39:08 PM

I had a similar experience with WoW really, one day I was in RedRidge on my way to just solo in the blasted lands or something for the hell of it and I happened upon two shaman who were in their mid 30's attacking all the 18-2x alliance players who were acting like morons.

So I take my priest, which is a great 1v1 but not so much with the multiple enemies that aren't too stupid to stay out of pbaoe range, and kill them both.  I ask for some help corpse camping them from the newbs, but nobody listens.  I start to leave and the rez (GY is right by town) hop in the water and go back to killing newbs.  I stop, get off mount and come back down, kill them again.  This time I try to corpse camp them both, they come back, I kill, they come back, I kill, nobody is helping me from the newb population.  They are rezzing within a minute and they've dragged me out into the water.

Each time I'm also loosing about 5% mp when the next fight starts.  Eventually after about 6 times of  and a few chases they rez and finally kill me.  I rez, and they are camping me.  I kill them both despite the half hp/mp (they really were dumbass').  I promptly log off and never logged on again.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #53 on: November 02, 2005, 07:24:25 PM

I had a similar experience with WoW

AC2:  I was perching gear knights on a 5 foot tall rock with my human female alt named "Bunny Lebowski". Basically this involved getting these mobs, that could destroy me in a heartbeat, stuck running into the geometry, jumping up on the rock, and then stripping down to my skivvies so I could autoattack them "for the win" faster while the gear knight runs into the rock like an energizer bunny stuck on autopilot.  Rinse, repeat, for hours. That should say enough, but there's more. Some uber template human mage comes up, destroys me in like 5 total seconds, hops up on the rock, and then starts perching away himself.  In attempting revenge, I run into some soul crushing rubber band lag and basically have to portal out due to the lag.  Then trying to bitch to my guildies about how much I suck at this game and how cheesy that occurrence was:  the chat server crashes.

So, it was time to quit. Then, trying to transfer the account to a guildie of mine without divulging my credit card info, I get charged for two extra months (that each lasted like 5 minutes).

Anyhow, we should rerail this at some point or perhaps put this out into a "amusing MMO quitting story thread". 

« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 07:28:40 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #54 on: November 03, 2005, 07:18:11 AM

It also brought at least a good 3 million people in who weren't playing MMOG's before. When those people get tired of WoW, there's all these other things they can try too. It expanded the market, something I'm sure other games will reap the benefits of in the 3-4 months before WoW's expansion releases.

It also showed that fun was good, casuals will stay if you have a shallow leveling curve instead of a punitive grind, and that PVP isn't anathema to everyone if you put some restrictions on it.

It's also fun.

Lies.  It's only successful because it's got a big name brand! That's why Star Wars did so well! Oh wait, no it didn't. Shit, that makes that argument look bitter and hollow now.

Umm.. no, wait, only idiots like it!  Dumbing things down is for lamers, it should all be complex and archaic and "Deep"! Just like how we should all be on text-based OSs like Unix instead of a simple, unified GUI like Windows! What? You mean that the PC revolution wouldn't have happened without some kind of simple to use UI?  Accessiblity is a GOOD thing? No, that can't be right.

I'll have to come up with some other way of tearing thsi apart.. I'll be back!

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #55 on: November 03, 2005, 04:34:52 PM

Thank you.  I found your blog, and have added you to my list of people to stalk.  I meant admire!  People to admire, god I always fuck that up.

I worry about you some times Cheddar, despite having no idea who the fuck you are. That's not good.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #56 on: November 03, 2005, 06:22:44 PM

I am mostly harmless.  I have an addiction for blogs/news sites, and as such bookmark them every chance I run across an interesting one.  I do wish Sachant would talk more theory though, her laundry is really not that interesting :(

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #57 on: November 05, 2005, 08:39:39 PM

Sorry.  It's my blog and I'll babble about everything I want to. ;p  Sometimes that means you have to hear about my laundry and potty training. ;)

Sachant
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #58 on: November 05, 2005, 09:51:57 PM

Sorry.  It's my blog and I'll babble about everything I want to. ;p  Sometimes that means you have to hear about my laundry and potty training. ;)

Naw, I am down with the potty training.  Its hot.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #59 on: November 05, 2005, 11:44:17 PM

potty training. ;)

Don't get me started.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #60 on: November 09, 2005, 12:32:34 PM

some unrelated stuff

Signe, did Schild really generate your .sig quote?  I must have been sick that day.

Good work, Schild.  This is a great thread.  I'll give textual thanks for now.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #61 on: November 09, 2005, 12:36:26 PM

He said it today in that crazy SWG thread.  It's not actually what he meant to say, but although I don't usually quote people, that one came out funny enough to make it an exception.

He's just adorable when he fucks up his words.

schild
Administrator

Reply #62 on: November 09, 2005, 02:25:17 PM

Christ. I just realized the problem with that sentence. I hate myself today.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #63 on: November 09, 2005, 02:44:27 PM

I -rm'd so it'll die... unless you piss me off or something then I'll bring it back, along with other stuff you've even forgotten you said, I bet.  I wrote them all down. :-D

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #64 on: November 10, 2005, 11:50:56 AM

I -rm'd so it'll die... unless you piss me off or something then I'll bring it back, along with other stuff you've even forgotten you said, I bet.  I wrote them all down. :-D

If anyone doubted you were female....

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  AGC '05  |  Topic: MMOG Rant session - realtime shit, yo  
Jump to: