Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Burning Crusade info 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Burning Crusade info  (Read 22158 times)
Phred
Terracotta Army

on: October 28, 2005, 09:40:14 AM

« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 10:08:55 AM by Phred »
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 10:39:23 AM

Fascinating.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 11:01:56 AM

Outland, eh? Hopefully the Alliance race is a flightless waterfowl.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 11:03:18 AM

Question from a non-WoW-lore-nerd:  What the heck does a Draeni look like? 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 11:07:55 AM

If you've played WOW they're the guys in the northern part of Swamp of Sorrows or wandering around the Blasted Lands.  If you haven't played, they look kind of like the grey-brown guy from Deep Space 9 who always hung-around in Quark's bar, Morn.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 11:25:45 AM

I've played but never gotten that far.  Your link didn't work for me, so I found this: http://www.garrisonent.com/morn/.   huh
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 11:34:44 AM

Collecting confirmed info. I generally ignore even the most well-prepared rumours until then.

IGN's got a writeup. Blizzard's got an Official Expansion Site. Plus a FAQ.

Here's some facts. Mostly this confirms what we knew.
  • Yes, level 70.
  • New Talent points to spend, but this includes new Talents and revamping of existing talents.
  • New world- Outland (formerly Drenai)
  • Flying Mounts- Work in Outland only. Gotten from arduous quest.
  • New Horde Race- Blood Elves.
  • Alliance Race still not yet announced.
  • New content for the old world too, specifically things like Caverns of Time (Tanaris) and Medivh's Tower (Deadwind Pass). Very cool descriptions of content here. Caverns of Time lets people visit existing zones as they appeared before the events of Warcraft III (like when Southshore and Tarren Mill were both Alliance, Orc were in internment camps, Hyjal was being attacked, and Medivh was opening the Dark Portal). Medivh's Tower is supposedly enormous, with save points, a Opera House that will spawn a random boss, and a gryphon/flight point near the top.
  • New profession: Jewel Crafting. They create Rings, Trinkets, and Jewels.
  • New equipment slot: Slotted Items. Insert Jewelcrafted jewels into slots. Probably like Diablo 2. They haven't decided yet things like removability and whatnot.
IGN's piece has some details on Patch 1.9. Basically, a new 20-man and 40-man Raid zone in Silithus, a new race of insects, and the opening of the Scarab Wall into Ahn'Qiraj through a dynamic world event apparently everyone can partake in some way across many levels.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 11:42:06 AM

I am very much looking forward to this expansion. It genuinely looks good and looks like it will be fun.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 11:44:05 AM

I wonder if the elfy dance will make the Orc's breath hard and sweat....

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 11:57:43 AM

At some point, amidst all of the rumors, I read a bullet point that said in the expansion that BGs would be linked between the servers, so that queuing will be less of a PITA.. has anyone heard if that's true or just some bullshit fantasy?  Cuz if it's true, it's the only thing I really care about.. well.. that and Horde Boobies..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 12:03:52 PM

I see that there are actually a decent handful of 5-man instances! Holy shit!

Naturally, nothing for the players under 60 and new players. Same old chain of instances, same old quests, no new zones, no new equipment to differentiate the twinked out by a level 60 friend masses. A flying mount quest that will probably be even gayer than the insane amount of cash or time required for the epic mount. Go Go catasses.

Edit: Also, could I mention how much I hate whoever decided to make all these factions that require endless hours of grinding to get to friendly/honored, much less exhalted? Seriously, they deserve to die. Fucking sadistic prick.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 12:17:57 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 28, 2005, 01:31:57 PM

Naturally, nothing for the players under 60 and new players.

Er, two whole new races with new zones would definitely be something for new players, or any players that want to roll a new alt.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: October 28, 2005, 01:39:44 PM

As a sample of 1, my wife has been infected with the bug and is already planning her Blood Elf and drooling for the expansion.  She is in no way shape or form what I'd label a 'gamer' but she's genuinely excited that the Elves are being included for the Horde.  Despite voices to the contrary, I think this is really going to help out the pop imbalance.  Of course, now the Horde gets to know the joy that the Alliance does, where every other person you meet is an elf.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13 on: October 28, 2005, 01:41:45 PM

Er, two whole new races with new zones would definitely be something for new players, or any players that want to roll a new alt.

One race doesn't count.  I'd rather shave my balls with a chainsaw than play a Blood Elf. Thing is, the new alliance race won't mean much to me either because they already have elves (this really started to bug me when we played on Moonrunner).

I was hoping so desperately that it wouldn't be Blood Elves.  Yah, it was a futile hope, but at least it was hope.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 01:43:32 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 01:42:36 PM

I dunno if some new racial traits and just enough quests to get you to level 10 really counts as anything significant.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 28, 2005, 01:44:19 PM

The Blood Elf architecture looks like Hibernia from DAoC.  Ugh.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #16 on: October 28, 2005, 01:57:07 PM

Heck, even existing lowbies can use those to level up... unless they're as far off as say, the night-elves...  the run to anyplace useful from the Night-Elf newbie area is rather dangerous at level 12ish...  Why I decided to run to a different place, I do not recall...  I just recall it being a serious PITA.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 28, 2005, 02:13:25 PM

New profession: Jewel Crafting. They create Rings, Trinkets, and Jewels.
While bows and arrows still materialize from thin air. It's a kind of magic!

I am sure other uses could be found for a "woodworking" profession, like making shields, staffs etc. and not just bows and arrows.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #18 on: October 28, 2005, 03:12:55 PM

At some point HRose should pop in here and point out that the information he posted on his site http://cesspit.net/ a while back has been shown to be entirely correct. Oh, never mind, I just saved him the trouble.

Of particular interest is the fact that Outlands will be flagged for PvP on all servers.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #19 on: October 28, 2005, 08:22:15 PM

Metzen basically said that the Blood Elves were modelled after Legolas.

Only, more moody.

Fucking elves.  At least make their fucking eyes glowy red or something, not cock-sucker blue.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 08:55:18 PM

Yes, hrose posted. So did a zillion other people, particularly when Jeff Green's 1up piece leaked some stuff and some folks got creative with that Italian Magazine article. Blizzard's about as secure as Paramount was with Star Trek information these days, which kinda sucks when I think about it. Blizzcon is costing them a lot of money, and there was a lot of benefit to going if you wanted to be the first to talk about it. But that flies in the face of the publishing industry which was going to print weeks ago, and thus had the information well before that.
At some point, amidst all of the rumors, I read a bullet point that said in the expansion that BGs would be linked between the servers, so that queuing will be less of a PITA.. has anyone heard if that's true or just some bullshit fantasy?  Cuz if it's true, it's the only thing I really care about.. well.. that and Horde Boobies..
That continues to be the rumour. Nothing substantiated yet.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 09:22:53 PM

Heh, somebody give me an explanation on the Elf hate around here. I'm not saying I like them or hate them -- I just don't get it is all. Is this a geek thing or what? Maybe I haven't been exposed to Elves enough (WoW and otherwise).

The way I see it though (as far as Alliance goes):

Druid and Hunters = For the first, you have to be an Elf. For the second, well....It's pretty silly not to be one.

Dwarves and the Dwarf starting area look cool and all....But I'm just not a dwarf kind of guy, if you know what I mean.

Humans = Neanderthal and cleft lipped to boot (if you're male, that is). I made a human not too long ago, and while I liked the quests and newbie areas, I realized how much I hate the look of the humans in this game (Hell, most of the races look pretty lame actually. Taurens, Dwarves, Male Orcs, Elves, and Human Females -- Those are the good choices imo).

Gnomes = No comment

Also, I'm not much of a roleplayer. If I can, I try to just represent myself as best as I can in games (No, that doesn't mean I look like a Night Elf, but I am tall, skinny, and sorta dark). It's simply the best out of the 4 choices for me. I could give a fuck about Legolas, or whatever reason people "supposedly" play Elves for.

[edit] Ah yes. I forgot.

Blood Elves.

Eww. The pasty pink skin doesn't do it for me.

And ummm....I'm surprised that no one has really commented on the new level cap. A shitty mmo just became even shittier: This is news folks.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 10:31:03 PM by Stray »
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #22 on: October 29, 2005, 12:27:56 AM

Just got back from BlizzCon. Funny thing was, I had to come home and look online to find out half the information about the expansion. The ONLY thing they really said about it was a short 5 minute video that kept looping, with very little real info in it. Also, "Playing" the expansion was just running around the Blood Elf starting area, or playing a ready made lvl 60 with tier 2 epic armor, but you coudlnt really do any thing.

All in all, for information about the expansion, Blizzcon was a major let down.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 29, 2005, 05:09:24 AM

There's so little information about what else they'll be doing to the game mechanic that having a strong opinion about level is a bit hard. Will they cap entrance to the current endgame zones? Will the 10 extra talent points we get only go to brand new tiers and trees (they did say they'll be modifying the other talents, but there are already issues with them)? Will this accompany an increase in Profession skills or are level 70s still supposed to still love all of relevant stuff from 300-skill?

Battlegrounds should be unaffected, since they're already capped.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #24 on: October 29, 2005, 08:01:04 AM

Do you think the Blood Elves will skip and tumble?  I hope so because it's REALLY annoying.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 29, 2005, 01:39:29 PM

One of my guildies was Playing on Tich from Bizzcon yesterday, had a few interesting tidbits about the level cap raise:

First off, you DO get a new talent point for every level you go up, so 10 new talent points.
Second, yes, you CAN now do a 31, 30 build if you wanted to, or any combination in between, However:
Third, they are EXPANDING the talent trees, so there will now be 41 point talents.

Should be interesting.

And i really dont get the gripe about the level cap increase. Hell, most 60's will have maxed rest exp, which means that you will probably hit level 62-64 within about 4 days or so of gameplay.  I figure it wont take much more then a single month for most people to crack the 68-70 barrier.  And then it will be back to the "end game raid dungeon dance" and whining about lack of new content.   Hell, when this thing hits, there will be more Raid dungeons then you could effectively run in a week.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #26 on: October 29, 2005, 02:03:08 PM

I was hoping for Spellbreakers.

Still, Blood Elves are cool.

No, I don't give a shit that you all hate them.  I've spoken on this before.

Perhaps if Blood Elf Warriors are unique enough, one might be able to approach a duplicate of the Spellbreaker.

I'm undecided.  I probably won't buy it.  At least, not until a long time after release.  (Same way I bought WoW.)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2005, 02:51:18 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #27 on: October 29, 2005, 02:41:10 PM

So, did they can heros?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: October 29, 2005, 04:13:11 PM

And i really dont get the gripe about the level cap increase.

The game needs more depth. Not width.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 29, 2005, 04:14:32 PM

Hero classes were never going to happen. They are just a way of enticing people to stay subscribed even though they have hit 60.

This expansion is utterly predictable. A raise in the level cap, a couple new races or classes, some new raids - exactly the same as basically every other expansion for every other MMORPG ever made.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 29, 2005, 04:39:48 PM

Hero classes were never going to happen. They are just a way of enticing people to stay subscribed even though they have hit 60.

This expansion is utterly predictable. A raise in the level cap, a couple new races or classes, some new raids - exactly the same as basically every other expansion for every other MMORPG ever made.
In other words, Blizzard are following a successful precedent?
Say it ain't so!

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 29, 2005, 05:18:56 PM

Err, considering over a quarter of the game has been 60 for months now (according to Blizzard), I doubt the vague far off promise of a non-existent Hero Class has any hold over people. Even the most patient eventually get bored and wonder why they keep getting charged $14.99/mo for a game they haven't launched in months.

However, I agree the expansion is predictable. Even the flying mounts only working in Outland is predictable. Some stuff they mention in various articles seems compelling, but we're a long way from release. Heck, at this point I wouldn't wager anything we know will remain.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: October 29, 2005, 05:19:51 PM

You say that like its bad.

I am the .00000001428%
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #33 on: October 29, 2005, 05:36:59 PM

What I find funny is, knowing Blizzard, you wont see this expansion 'till Q4 of 06 if not 2007.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #34 on: October 29, 2005, 06:04:49 PM

What I find funny is, knowing Blizzard, you wont see this expansion 'till Q4 of 06 if not 2007.

That's pretty much what the CM said a few months back when word that an expansion was being worked on was let out to the public.   Nobody believed them at the time, but really, it's BLizzard and as we've said in the past they're still running like it's a singleplayer game, not a MMO.  Rehash rehash.. all that needs to happen now is someone has to come in and mention all the great changes EQ2 has made in the last 2 months compared to blizzard's last year.

[strongbad] The circles and the ages and the ages.. [/strongbad]

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: Burning Crusade info  
Jump to: