Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: More Dual Origin questions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: More Dual Origin questions  (Read 2651 times)
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

on: May 11, 2004, 09:18:49 AM

To continue from the "too many blasters" thread where the topic of DO enhancements was raised and answered... I've got more questions.  If you please.

OK... fundamentally... why are they called Dual Origin, whatsit mean?  And later, the even better / higher level ones are SINGLE Origin.  My guess is that a given DO enhancement will work with 2 'origins' (ie. Natural AND Magical; or Magical AND Mutant...) and the SOs only work with one.

Whether or not I'm correct about the nature of DO... is there any difference in a DO that I get from say, a Tech. oriented store as opposed to the one that is 'preferred' for Naturals. (I'm a Natural, obv.)  They (the tech. ones) were all phrased as being 'grenades' and such but they still slotted in the appropriate power.

I only saw one flavor of DO for Range but in my n00b experience there is one type of range enh. for single-target blasts and another for cone-spread powers.  Anyone know whether the DO Range will work or do I need another shop to find cone range.

Thx

COME ON YOU SPURS!
WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 09:41:35 AM

In my extremely limited experience (I finally found the mutie store SubGenetics or something in SC), I have concluded the following-

1) Dual Origin means that the enhancement can be used by 2 of the 5 different character origins (Mutation, Magic, Tech, Natural, ....shit, can't remember the 5th!). I am extrapolating that SO means only 1 origin (I am a genius, I know).

2) I don't believe the option to buy DOs is available to you unless you are in your 'origin store'. I followed Haemish into the Natural store (I think) and didn't see anything but the Training enhancements in stock- either the DOs were not shown, or I didn't scroll down far enough =P

Now a question- Is a level 15 DO more effective than a level 15 (or level 13++, for that matter) Training enhancement?

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 09:55:19 AM

You can see the DO's even in a store you can't buy them in. You could even buy them, but there are big red letters saying you can't use them. They are below the training ones.

And yes, a DO is much better than a training enhancement. I slotted a DO damage add into my crane kick, which against blues normally does about 35 points of damage with a training enh. of 15+. With the unaltered 15 DO (no +'s), I was doing about 45 points of damage with the same kick against blue mobs.

WayAbvPar

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 09:57:46 AM

Ahh ok. I wasn't sure if I scrolled to the bottom of the list or not...I was about half awake at the time (it was near the end of our TF marathon).

DOs can only be combined with other DOs, correct? When do they start dropping from mobs? No way in hell I can afford to deck myself out in the manner I see fit through purchases (them sumbitches is spendy!).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #4 on: May 11, 2004, 10:02:06 AM

Yes, they can only be combined with other DO's. I tried combining with training enh. and it would not allow it.

Yes, they be very spendy.

Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 11, 2004, 10:06:47 AM

Good point, Haemish.  I did see where SOME of the DOs offered in a tech preferred store had a big red warning in the description saying that I couldn't use them even though I could buy them.

So a DO is a DO is a DO no matter which store I buy it from (assuming that it doesn't say that I can't use it)?  That is good news.  Still, I'd like to find my 'au naturel' preferred store just for story continuity and whatnot.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
ClydeJr
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 11, 2004, 10:52:28 AM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
Now a question- Is a level 15 DO more effective than a level 15 (or level 13++, for that matter) Training enhancement?

I remember reading something from one of the devs that said a 2 training enhancements is worth one DO enhancement and 2 DO enhancements is worth 1 SO enhancement. I also remember something about how a training enhancement is an 8% bonus, DO is 15%, and SO is 30%, but not sure if those number are correct or just something that my sleep deprived brain just made up.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #7 on: May 11, 2004, 11:11:05 AM

Quote from: ClydeJr
Quote from: WayAbvPar

I remember reading something from one of the devs that said a 2 training enhancements is worth one DO enhancement and 2 DO enhancements is worth 1 SO enhancement. I also remember something about how a training enhancement is an 8% bonus, DO is 15%, and SO is 30%, but not sure if those number are correct or just something that my sleep deprived brain just made up.

No, you are correct.  I think the bonus is actually like 8.3% for a training, 16.7% for a DO and 33.5% for a SO (it's in the guide book but i thats at home).  There are a few specific enhancements that have different bonuses like 5%.

And yes, that means if you manage to put 3 SO enhancers on a power you are basically doubling it's effectiveness, and tripling in with 6.  

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 11, 2004, 11:35:06 AM

All correct information in the last few posts (the percentages change, but each better type is twice as good as the last).

Regarding the costs, they are not that expensive really.  When you first get to the level you can use them (level 12) you can probably afford only 1-3, but by the time you are 17 or so you will probably be fully decked out in them.  I had DO in all slots at level 16 in beta.  The money starts coming in faster and the levels start slowing down abit making purchases much easier.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: More Dual Origin questions  
Jump to: