Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 09:42:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Event Tonight 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Event Tonight  (Read 12251 times)
Calandryll
Developers

Would you kindly produce a web game.

on: October 25, 2005, 08:22:24 AM

Just a reminder that there is an event tonight in DDO. It will run from 7pm until 9pm. Basically we need people to log in and go into dungeons to help us test the servers with multiple instances open. Turbine admins will be online going into the dungeons and giving away cool items and bonus XP to folks. Hope to see you all there! :)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2005, 08:32:27 AM

You would have to do this the night I get my new computer, before I'll be able to even get the thing installed and running. CURSES!

Good luck with it, btw.

WayAbvPar

Reply #2 on: October 25, 2005, 08:51:00 AM

Sounds like fun! I am in even worse shape than Haemish, PC wise. Next time!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Calandryll
Developers

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2005, 10:22:42 AM

Sorry to hear that. We will be running events every Tuesday though, so hopefully you'll get to play in the next one!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #4 on: October 25, 2005, 10:44:09 AM

Sadly, real life interferes with my Tuesday nights, or I'd definitely be there.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: October 25, 2005, 11:56:03 AM

Do I get a prise for being the only one to attend?  I'd like to change my Robot Barbabian's name to Rosie.

Oh... and please give me red hair.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6 on: October 25, 2005, 12:07:03 PM

Only one shmonly shmone, if my copy of civ4 doesn't show up I can log in for a while - it's the SO's late night at work.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #7 on: October 25, 2005, 01:15:46 PM

Too bad this isn't Pacific Time, I could make that.  Getting in by 9pm est will be a little tight...

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: October 25, 2005, 06:50:31 PM

Good Grief!  What is wrong with you developers and your penchant for mass murder!?!  Sheesh!   tongue

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 08:09:35 PM

I logged in about a minute before the end.  When I finished loading the tavern I had four big nasty things trying to eat me for no discernible reason.  Then I died and respawned outside, at which point the server reset.

Um... woo?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 08:17:39 PM

I'm just glad these people are writing games and not foreign policy.  They are demented.

Calandryll
Developers

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 08:53:21 PM

At the end of the event we spawned monsters in the inns and the harbor. Before that, between 7 and 9, we were going in dungeons and giving out items. Sorry most of you missed it. We'll run more.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 09:41:53 PM

I didn't get any trinkets but I enjoyed all the death and destruction.  Actually, it was sort of fun to see some of the high level baddies.  The storm giant winked at me.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 06:06:46 AM

I went through the newbie dungeons, no phat lewtz. Some player did hand me a pair of gloves of elvenkind, but I missed out. Ah, well. I didn't see any of the npcs, either, since I was in dungeons most of the time. I did see a few players in nice gear though.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #14 on: October 26, 2005, 07:05:28 AM

I logged in about a minute before the end.  When I finished loading the tavern I had four big nasty things trying to eat me for no discernible reason.  Then I died and respawned outside, at which point the server reset.

Um... woo?

Heh.  While I missed all the fun of the event, I did hop on later and tried to do the next stage of the missing brothers chain (Amulet of somethingsomthing).  I have one thing to say...

Fucking baby spewing poisonous glass spider bitch!  I was THIS close to the end, I just know it. Augh!

Thank you; I feel better now.  On the plus side, anyone need some studded leather armor +1 that has a fire damage shield?

Xilren
PS Also did the first stage of Delena's Tomb and spoke to NPC named  ...  Deen Wermier?  I'm expecting him to put me on double secret probation any second now...

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #15 on: October 26, 2005, 07:59:13 AM

I mostly get loot I can't use because I've been playing a robot/golem/thingy.  Her name is Smegala.  She has some goggles +1 hide someone can have.  Since I have switched to a killing machine, the quests I have problems soloing are the ones where you have to protect a package... because there is just not enough time to kill all the critters... and the ones where you have to kill LESS of something.  Less?  I can't kill less!  I have to kill them all or they will kill me!  Some of that killing less than isn't optional either... if you don't do it... err, or not do it... you fail.  I think these are quests geared towards stealthy people, which I'm not.  I don't see how I can possibly do them even in a group.  Everything attacks me.  Maybe you HAVE to multiclass in this game or you just plain lose out on some stories. 

Killing machines make scads of money as there seems to be nothing to spend it on.  I am rich and lonely.

WayAbvPar

Reply #16 on: October 26, 2005, 09:02:05 AM

Deen Wermier?  I'm expecting him to put me on double secret probation any second now...

Ha! I love this kind of stuff. WoW had tons of little jokes like that- I hope this gang keeps up that tradition.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #17 on: October 26, 2005, 09:13:57 AM

goggles +1 hide

Heart

Xilren, we should try to meet up for that quest.  I soloed the first bit of the amulet quest (getting past the kobold blockade) last night, but the next bit involves some mandatory combat so I think I'll be needing a group.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #18 on: October 26, 2005, 02:50:00 PM

Xilren, we should try to meet up for that quest.  I soloed the first bit of the amulet quest (getting past the kobold blockade) last night, but the next bit involves some mandatory combat so I think I'll be needing a group.

Sounds good.  I redid the Kobold Blockade part successfully at lunch today so I'm ready for the next phase.  Sure enough, after that glass spider I was at the end.  Plus I'm starting to get CR 5-7 quests and they can be a wee bit hard solo.

Oh, I also have some gloves for +1 performing and goggles +1 for use magic devices, and a bunch of caster stuff like robes with damage shields, wands of burning hands, and assorted +1 weapons and armor.  Unsurprisingly, many people seem to be farming the hazard zones set top elite non stop for good loot. MMORPG players are nothing if not consistent in behavior patterns...

Xilren

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #19 on: October 26, 2005, 03:04:38 PM

Guh, that spider pit was a beast.  That and the wraith were the two things I couldn't sneak past.  The wraith I was able to kill (barely), but there were just too many spiders so I ran past them and prayed.  Sure enough, I was able to lose them in the water - phew!

I haven't done the hazard zones yet since they sound like they're all about combat, but it saddens me to hear that they're farmable.  The loot/XP handling in the standard quests has been absolutely excellent IMO, what with the diminishing rewards if you try to farm them.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 27, 2005, 06:13:09 AM

Unsurprisingly, many people seem to be farming the hazard zones set top elite non stop for good loot. MMORPG players are nothing if not consistent in behavior patterns...
Just one of many, many reasons I'll never be a mmog player again. I can barely stand the thought of the genre.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: October 27, 2005, 06:30:21 AM

Unsurprisingly, many people seem to be farming the hazard zones set top elite non stop for good loot. MMORPG players are nothing if not consistent in behavior patterns...
Just one of many, many reasons I'll never be a mmog player again. I can barely stand the thought of the genre.

Don't be such a baby!

I watched that film that your avatar is from last night.  It was damp and sticky.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #22 on: October 27, 2005, 08:18:35 AM

Why are most of the quests I've done repeatable, may I ask? Is this just an alpha thing, or is it there in case the quest is bugged? Is this intended to stay after release, because if it is, woof. The farmers/campers/min-maxers will have a field day with it.

Also, what movie is that avatar from again, Sky?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 27, 2005, 09:00:22 AM

House of 1000 Corpses. I haven't seen the sequel, the Devil's Rejects, yet. It's supposed to make h1kc look like a disney movie.
Don't be such a baby!
But....Baby is so hot! ;)

Hey - I found this icon, too!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2005, 09:08:14 AM by Sky »
Xilren's Twin

Reply #24 on: October 27, 2005, 09:05:48 AM

Why are most of the quests I've done repeatable, may I ask? Is this just an alpha thing, or is it there in case the quest is bugged? Is this intended to stay after release, because if it is, woof. The farmers/campers/min-maxers will have a field day with it.

They do have anti-farming code in place that lowers both the exp and treasure gained from repeating quests each time you redo it.  The exp never comes back but over time the loot rates will go back up.

IMHO it is neccessary to allow people to redo quests for several reasons.  Firstly, playing with friends.  Unless you have a solid dependable group that sticks together, it would stink to join a group and not be able to do quests some of the member had done but others had not.  Even if you get reduced rewards, you at least can still participate.

Secondly, and more importantly, is content useage.  Right now, quests are the only content in DDO, thus once you run out of quests, you're out of game.  There are about 130 quests in game right now, and it's unknown if this number will significantly increase during development.  Since the quests are hand crafted instances, adding them is no small undertaking.  You need to get maximum utility from the dev time investment, so making them repeatable is basically a neccessity.

I've read on the boards that loot farming is somewhat intentional.  Since it takes 10 times as long to level compared to P&P, they want people to basically earn 10 times the loot to go along with that, which is why you start seeing magic items and gear pretty much right away.  Let's face it, cool loot is a big draw in these games, and since you only get levels 1-10, you can't dole it out in a low magic setting like most of us were used to from our paper and dice days.  In those settings, all the non combat activities (i.e. exploring new areas unrelated to the main quests, talking to npcs, hunting clues, travel, crafting magic items, social times, etc etc) were content.  Such content doesn't exist today in DDO, so they pretty much have to ramp up what they do have.

That being said, I think they need to consider putting some anti-farming code in to prevent high level players from redoing low level quests set to elite.  That is apparently the source of most farming today as Elite status grants the best drops.  At least, I think they need to consider it if they plan to have any sort of player economy....

Xilren

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 27, 2005, 09:09:51 AM

I've read on the boards that loot farming is somewhat intentional.  Since it takes 10 times as long to level compared to P&P, they want people to basically earn 10 times the loot to go along with that, which is why you start seeing magic items and gear pretty much right away.  Let's face it, cool loot is a big draw in these games, and since you only get levels 1-10, you can't dole it out in a low magic setting like most of us were used to from our paper and dice days.  In those settings, all the non combat activities (i.e. exploring new areas unrelated to the main quests, talking to npcs, hunting clues, travel, crafting magic items, social times, etc etc) were content.  Such content doesn't exist today in DDO, so they pretty much have to ramp up what they do have.
Good summary of why DDO is probably a bad idea...
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: October 27, 2005, 09:26:41 PM

It may not be like PnP D&D, but I still think it's better than the other combat-based MMO offerings.  No foozles + hand-crafted dungeons = good.  And the D&D skill/feat/multiclass system is much nicer than an EQ/WoW single class setup IMO.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: October 28, 2005, 06:25:37 AM

If it weren't a good mmo, I'd have deleted it immediately (see: AA). It's nice, I just don't have the time to devote to playtesting.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #28 on: October 28, 2005, 06:47:45 AM

Such content doesn't exist today in DDO, so they pretty much have to ramp up what they do have.
Good summary of why DDO is probably a bad idea...

It's not a bad idea, at all.  But just like any other well known licenses, you better market it properly.  It's just going to be different than most people's assumption of what DDO SHOULD be.  Current MMORPG players will be looking for the things it doesn't have that their favorite game to date did (like PvP or 50 person raids, etc etc).  D&D fans will be looking for a game closer to the D&D ruleset, which with the actiony combat and fundamental differences with thing like spell point and rest spots DDO doesn't have.  They need to get the focus on what they DO have and do well.  It is paramount they do a great job of communication with what player expectations should be, what DDO offers else disaster.  And that communication needs to begin now.  We some of that already, like the Cleric creation thread prompted by the alpha journal on the public website, but that journal leaves a lot of questions unasked.  Understandable as thing are still subject to change, but just read the reactions in that thread.

Overall, IMHO even in it's alpha state, it's fun.  I like playing through the instanced quests much more than standard mmorpg hunting in an overland world.  My concern is simply not providing enought in addition to that to make this a game worthy of more than month or two of sub time.   They would either need to keep adding good quests at a decent pace (which sounds very unlikely), OR they new to add more imbedded game/play activities to the world.  DDO is closer to Guild War right now than it is to WoW.

That not a good thing or a bad thing, but it better be a KNOWN thing.

Xilren

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #29 on: October 28, 2005, 06:55:24 AM

I've found the forums to be a bit better lately.  I've actually been able to submit a couple of bug reports and read a little.  It still screeches to a halt now and then, but not as often.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: Event Tonight  
Jump to: