Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:06:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: What goes good with Storm Controll 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What goes good with Storm Controll  (Read 2043 times)
SurfD
Terracotta Army

on: May 11, 2004, 08:20:19 AM

I really like the idea of the Storm Controll power set (and I managed to snag a REALLY great name for a Storm type character on Victory), so i was wondering.

Which secondary power would you select for a Storm Deffender?

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #1 on: May 11, 2004, 08:50:12 AM

Of the ones I am familiar with..

Psychic is somewhat slow, does okay damage, and has an early sniper shot.  Also gets a sleep power.

Energy is good damage, and medium speed, and all attacks have a chance for knockback...  No hold, sleep, or root powers tho.

Radiation is lowish damage, but recycles very fast, which some people prefer.  Also has no mob control powers.

The other two I'm not very familiar with, but electrical does get a hold power eventually, and dark blast has an early sniper shot, and both AE root and AE disorient powers, so it may have the best mob control powers.

Control of mobs shouldn't be too big a deal for you, with storm as primary, it has several good control-type powers.

--
Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #2 on: May 11, 2004, 11:03:15 AM

Quote from: SurfD
Which secondary power would you select for a Storm Deffender?

In beta I used a Storm/Electrical defender; in live im a Storm/Enegry blast defender and I'm liking it better.  Storm has a bunch of knock back powers already plus all my Energy attack have knock back potential so it's all "yo ho ho and blow the man down".

The only power pool selections I've made thus far are Hover and Flight.   I'm really not sure Im going to take any others.  Maybe stealth down the road, but i don't feel like I have to have any of them.   I'd say I've solo'ed probably 75%+ so far and feel it does well.  This build isn't a group friendly simply because we only get a single target heal in the Storm line, but has some nice debuffs to throw.  Plus, I can tie up choke points like doorways or bottle mobs into corners and such.  Makes me wonder if the terra volta trial where you have to keep mobs out of the core room could be made very doable with 4 storm def/controllers just hurricaning mobs away from them.

Hurricane is love.

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: May 11, 2004, 02:59:45 PM

I have a Radiation/Storm Controller that I quite like.  She is getting more and more fun to play as she levels, too.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 02:46:10 AM

I went with electricity mainly for...

A) An actual stun (storm is mostly a cc line, but doesn't quite get a root, stun, or mez at any point)
B) Aim, which I thought would be useful for getting field powers to hit everyone, but since discovered that storm powers hit 100% of the time anyway.
C) Voltaic sentinel, which should stack well with lightning storm (stacking fields works really well with storm powers).

Oh, don't go elec for the end drain secondary effects - they are pointlessly small.

A lot of defenders have energy - mostly for the knockbacks. But I'm not sure you need that - as you will have a repel field in your primary line.

On the storm powers I've got high enough for so far....

1) Gale - pointless imo, it's a cone knockback - you have better knock back tools as a storm summoner.

2) O2 boost - heal, good, but you need to get it socketed up early on, or it won't scale well enough with your level. And you will never be a primary healer with just this skill; you can't keep up with typical battle damage without any aoe healing - storm is about stopping the bad guys doing damage in the first place - not about healing it after the fact.

3) Snow storm - Aoe slow + attack speed debuff, it's mostly useful for the slow recharge rate effect and for stacking with freezing rain. Note that it keeps pulsing forever so long as you still have end and the mob you use it on stays alive.

4) Steamy mist - pbaoe stealth + def buff + fire/cold/energy resist buff. Useful for avoiding aggro when standing near bad guys, and for damage reduction on clockwork missions (all those elec blasts are energy afaik). I don't notice a massive effect from the def bonus.

5) Freezing rain - location aoe dot + slow + attack speed debuff + knockup. Excellent for stacking with snow storm for an almost-root and severe attack speed debuff. Excellent on it's own for effectively stunning green/blue crowds with the continual knockup. However, the duration is a bit short, and the damage doesn't scale well (or in fact at all) with your level.

6) Hurricane. Pbaoe knockback/repel field + acc debuff + range debuff. Fucking rocks. You don't actually need a tank in the group at all with this power - just get more blasters and have them hide in the field. Even in a balanced group including tanks it's an excellent power in small rooms where you can effectively pin mobs to the wall in perma-knockback. In larger rooms with a boss you can do the same if you pin the boss in a corner. Less useful (other than to dismiss melee aggro) in large rooms or outside amoungst crowds of lowbie minions - as your scrappers will whine about not being able to reach the mobs as you toss them helplessly around the area while cackling manicly.

7) Thunderclap. Pbaoe disorient. Only seems to work on minions reliably. Duration is a bit short. On the plus side, the particle effect is pretty cool, and it doesn't use much end.

Haven't tried tornado or lightning storm yet.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: What goes good with Storm Controll  
Jump to: