Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:21:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: EQ: Depths of Darkhollow Review 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: EQ: Depths of Darkhollow Review  (Read 7298 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: October 19, 2005, 08:44:54 AM

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 08:50:54 AM

So wait, is she coming back in to WoW?  Shit I do believe that is the fastest turn around I have seen in a person (even faster then WUN turn around back to UO). 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 09:30:04 AM

Interesting.  SOE must be getting squeezed from every angle now that Blizz is so large.  This stuff does indeed sound rehashed.  I quit SWG months ago, but frankly their upcoming expansion sounds the same -- rehash, retreadmill.  You're right to be suspicious.  I wonder how Desert of Flames expansion for EQ2 is faring.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 03:36:59 PM

lol Cheddar..

I know that when I said I would be back I said see you in a week or month. This only took..two days.

and it's okay. I know you missed my wit.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 04:52:20 PM

I've never gone back to an MMO once I've quit.  I feel like I have to be dedicated to these games, the marriage always ends sourly after a couple months of feverish gaming.  Just the way I like it.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: October 20, 2005, 07:33:41 AM

Good job!  Sounds dreadful!  Well done!

Don't ever lose your angst.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 20, 2005, 08:14:43 AM

Thank you. I mourn for what EQ was and the potential it used to have.

Where oh where are the brains in SoE and why oh why haven't they come out to play.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2005, 12:58:22 PM

Thanks for that review.  I was very similar to you - the expansion intrigued me - I ALMOST picked it up.

Not now.

Did you hear anything about these evolving intelligent weapons from players who might have had them in game?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2005, 01:26:48 PM

Did you hear anything about these evolving intelligent weapons from players who might have had them in game?

Sounds like that was the cancel button...

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 06:46:36 AM

Thanks for that review.  I was very similar to you - the expansion intrigued me - I ALMOST picked it up.

Not now.

I heard nothing about evolving weapons from anyone. Anywhere. On multiple servers. I am not sure if really people hadn't found any, though you can find some information on them via some of the infosites out there. But those people I ended up asking simply didn't seem all that enthused or responsive about them. Or they just did not care.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 09:20:04 PM

From what I could figure out of the article the problem wasn't really in the content, but more in the presentation of that content.

It isn't a justification but I guess it's important to focus on what didn't exactly work.

Mobhunter pointed out a few specific problems but also started from the opposite perspective:
Depths of Darkhollow included some of the most innovative features in any of the ten previous Everquest expansions. The creativity of this expansion shows us how far this game has come and how far it can go in the future.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 25, 2005, 01:23:28 AM

Haven't we stopped long long ago to care about future promises? The elusive endgame fun after many levels of treadmilling, the potential something might have in some unforseeable future?

But maybe its only me that has become a cynic.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12 on: October 25, 2005, 01:37:35 AM

Yes, it's definitely just you.  Stop raining on our parade, mister!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 25, 2005, 03:12:25 AM

Haven't we stopped long long ago to care about future promises? The elusive endgame fun after many levels of treadmilling, the potential something might have in some unforseeable future?

No we haven't and we never should. We are paying consumers. We have the right to know and express what we want and what we like and dislike just as much as the companies and the developers have the right to disagree or agree and produce accordingly. There should always be a "bar" that these companies are held to in regard to the content they allow to be sold to their consumer.

SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 25, 2005, 03:18:34 AM

Also, HRose:

All of these issues came up at the last EQ community summit and I have faith that we will see them addressed in the near future.

That was a direct quote from the Mobhunter Article which by the way I think was very well done and well written.  However, these problems have been "being addressed" for years in some form or fashion and they get repeated over and over again with no fix.

It wasn't my intention to convey only the negative about Everquest. It was my intention to convey precisely what -I- felt I did. Disappointment in a game that I feel has been important, relevant, groundbreaking and original. In my opinion, it was these things so long ago and now what is being produced is "repetitive" because they think it's what sells.  I am the first to say that I was one of Everquests biggest fans and championed the game for years to people.

And got called many things because of it! *Eyes Haemish and Shockeye*

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: October 25, 2005, 07:40:34 AM

Mobhunter pointed out a few specific problems but also started from the opposite perspective:
Depths of Darkhollow included some of the most innovative features in any of the ten previous Everquest expansions. The creativity of this expansion shows us how far this game has come and how far it can go in the future.

And Mobhunter has always been known as a bastion of truth instead of a pack of brown-nosing SOE apologists.

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: October 25, 2005, 07:44:13 AM

I just wanted to mention that the Mobhunter article cracks me up.  Three sentences of glowing praise, then a "but no expansion is perfect..." transition, followed by a litany of broken loot tables and poorly thought-out encounters.  Are they obligated to say nice things?

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 25, 2005, 08:00:55 AM

I don't think it's quite understood yet that no one expects perfection. Just common sense and intelligence and maybe a little of I dunno.. i n n o v a t i v e   t h o u g h t.

Not that this is easy.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: EQ: Depths of Darkhollow Review  
Jump to: