Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:58:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Rush to World 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rush to World  (Read 24807 times)
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #70 on: November 02, 2005, 10:25:38 AM

That's just it. As a gold digger in the Wild West there was nothing more threatening than claim jumpers, and other thieves. To remove claim jumpers is to leave the player with a sieve and a stream. Click pan for gold, wait for animation, repeat. Without the claim jumper that game is the worst kind of grinding shit fest.

But some people like that grindfest. Different desires cause conflicts. Some desires seek to avoid conflict, which is just as valid as the guy who wants to generate conflict.
  That players might stumble upon a game which doesn’t suit them is no reason to say that such a game cannot, or should not, be made. Virtual Worlds are not invalidated as a concept because there exist, somewhere in the world, players who wouldn’t want to play it. Too often it seems that people are responding as if there is only one MMOG in the world and that to make a different one would destroy, or otherwise make invalid, any previous world.

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #71 on: November 02, 2005, 11:27:06 AM

Too often it seems that people are responding as if there is only one MMOG in the world and that to make a different one would destroy, or otherwise make invalid, any previous world.

This is probably due to the obsessive compulsive behaviours most MMOG's engender in their crappy ass mechanics.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: November 02, 2005, 09:20:39 PM

I don't think it is fruitful to argue what is fun.

It may be somewhat fruitful to argue what most people think is fun, but it certainly isn't fruitful to argue what we personally think is fun.

What more important for these games are:

1: Is it clear who the game is for? What sort of experience is offered?
2: Does the implementation match #1?

It's quite possible for me to make a game that appeals not at all to some PvP players but appeals a lot to others. That's fine if that was my intention. The problem a lot of games have is that they have unclear intentions and they end up just attracting whoever without understanding why.

Where are you aiming, and are you hitting your mark? A lot of people create some system, people bitch, maybe they mess with it a bit, people keep bitching, etc etc. Because they have no end goal or target audience.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #73 on: November 03, 2005, 07:17:39 AM

Or you can be like A.net you can 3/4ths the way to hitting your target and turn 180 degrees and alienate your original target.

"Me am play gods"
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Rush to World  
Jump to: