Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:10:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: List the names going back into the pot 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: List the names going back into the pot  (Read 4094 times)
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

on: October 13, 2005, 08:10:34 AM

My characters on Champion whose names will soon be available:

Happy Fun Ball
Tinderbox
Shadowcat
Eskimofo

I have never played WoW.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 01:38:40 PM

I don't know if many people who've had cancelled accounts for 90 days or more are reading this board.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 04:20:14 PM

You can have Signe.  I don't like it anymore.  You people have used it all up.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: October 13, 2005, 10:54:28 PM

8 names of mine will be gone, but not forgotten. Unfortunately they escape me. Someone will get Mr. Ripley though, and that makes me sad.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 12:36:34 PM

I don't know if many people who've had cancelled accounts for 90 days or more are reading this board.
Um...what? I guess I missed what this thread pertains to, but it doesn't sound good...
Llava
Contributor

Reply #5 on: October 14, 2005, 01:39:57 PM

If your account has been cancelled for 90 days or more, as of October 24th, your character names are "up for grabs."  That means someone can create a new character on the same server using the name.  If you reactivate and try to log that character in, you will receive a prompt asking you to rename the character.  If/when this happens, ALWAYS TRY THE ORIGINAL NAME FIRST.  Someone may not have taken it.

Characters are not being deleted.
Friends lists are automatically updated with the changes.
It requires that the account itself be cancelled for 90 days, not that you log in each individual character once every 90 days.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: October 14, 2005, 02:05:53 PM

Well, fuck. Is this the new "Please don't return to CoH" initiative?

I could see a year, but 3 months? And I was in the habit of resubbing every six months....so much for that shit. Color me no longer a Cryptic fanboi.

That really sucks.
8 names of mine will be gone, but not forgotten. Unfortunately they escape me.
Heh.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #7 on: October 14, 2005, 02:15:42 PM

I believe it's an attempt at regular customer retention.  I, for one, get more invested in a character with a decent name.  At this stage, nearly all names that refer to anything are taken.  Mythology, history, whatever.  Though I'll bet Paracelcus is available.

But believe me, this isn't out of nowhere- TONS of people have been asking for this.  Though I personally would have preferred that villains pull from a separate name database than heroes on the same server (so there could be a villainous Coyote and a heroic Coyote, for instance).  This was plan B for me, though, and I stand behind it.  Names are far more important in this setting than a fantasy setting (really, what's the different between Menalitus and Menalytus?) where, as mentioned in the News Thread, archetypal names are in high demand.

Hell.  On Virtue the name "Strix" is taken.  Seriously, who besides me even really knows what a Strix is?  (Oddly enough, though, Striga was available... wouldn't have thought so, given that it's the name of a whole damn zone)

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 03:18:26 PM

Right now they'll give you anything you want to distract you from the HUGE FUCKING ENHANCEMENT NERF.  Three months is not long enough.  A year, maybe, would be okay, if they must.  Who cares if tons of people want it... tons of people want pudding, too, but they don't get it, do they?  And rightly so.

Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 14, 2005, 03:33:10 PM

Right now they'll give you anything you want to distract you from the HUGE FUCKING ENHANCEMENT NERF.  Three months is not long enough.  A year, maybe, would be okay, if they must.  Who cares if tons of people want it... tons of people want pudding, too, but they don't get it, do they?  And rightly so.

Oh I will have my pudding. And I'm looking forward to getting another chance on snagging Rodent, some fucker took it but is never-ever online.

Wiiiiii!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 15, 2005, 09:04:20 AM

I don't understand this.  Set me straight.

Does this mean that if I cancel for 4 months:

my heroes will be gone?

or just that I need a new name for my Dr. Goodhead defender hero?

Bad, bad idea, either way, in terms of getting old players to come play again.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: October 15, 2005, 10:42:06 AM

Your characters will still be there but they will all be named "Generic Hero Dumbass" or something if someone has taken your old name.  I don't much care for the idea either.

Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 17, 2005, 03:28:41 AM

Even though I am in danger of losing all my character names I think CoH needed this. I think because the character generator was more fun than the game many people are tying up names with characters they never, ever play. Even better would have been if cryptic had announced the removal of names on any character under L5 unplayed in the past 3 months.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 06:46:42 AM

This is a stupid way to go about it, period. As has been mentioned, there is a strong tie to your identity in CoH. I was only 24th level or so (goddamned grind), but I generally only play the one character, and that's what I identify with in CoH. Making me be random jackass # 49993 just shits on my early participation in the game, but I guess it's clear that Cryptic only cares about what people have done for them lately.

My solution would've been applying it to all characters under level 10 or 20 or something, or all but the highest level character on a server, since I have a bunch of alts just reserving names that I could see being put back into the pool, as I never got to develop those characters.

But delete my main's name? I'll never be back and it pisses me off just enough to not buy CoV.

Stupid idea.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: October 20, 2005, 07:12:07 AM

But delete my main's name? I'll never be back and it pisses me off just enough to not buy CoV.

Stupid idea.

No loss. It'd still be the grind you left because of the first time, with new, improved gimping of characters.

I don't think I've ever seen a dev team more devoted to alienating their existing customer base than Cryptic. The people that were still playing liked the game the way it was. I doubt anyone will be tempted to return by hearing of the recent nerfs either so it's lose/lose imo.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: List the names going back into the pot  
Jump to: