Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:36:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Roma Victor"? Rome AD 180 MMORPG 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Roma Victor"? Rome AD 180 MMORPG  (Read 7822 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

on: October 12, 2005, 08:22:27 AM

Anyone following this?  http://www.roma-victor.com/sotw/

There's a lot there in terms of things we're used to (crafting, PvP, housing, etc.)  but seems to be very indy-dev.  I don't see any news past July and any indication when they will be leaving Beta (or how one applies to enter Beta).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 08:29:55 AM

It should be called "Spartan Victor".

Seriously though, I hope that's not an example of the "state of the game" as it stands now. It's lacking....things.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 08:53:05 AM

All I know is that mixing Latin and English an a title with no meaning like 'Roma Victor' makes me grumpy.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 09:05:06 AM

It's been a while since Latin Class but Roma Victor seems like a perfectly fine way to say Rome Victorious.  Since they are both nominitive singular nouns in apposition.  But I may not be remembering the definition of apposition correctly.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 09:31:53 AM

yes graphics seem rough, but there's a skill system, crafting, trade... it's different, historical, no elves, so I'm interested.  And since playing Mount&Blade I'm getting used to non-polished but good games
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 09:46:59 AM

From my beta experience, it's not polished and it's not good. At all.

If the devs of this game played mount & blade, they'd throw in the towel. Well, so would most devs. "Hey, we spent 45 million making our game, how come this one is more fun?" "We should research that!" "ANOTHER 45 MILLION TOWARDS FUN!"
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 10:34:36 AM

From my beta experience, it's not polished and it's not good. At all.

If the devs of this game played mount & blade, they'd throw in the towel. Well, so would most devs. "Hey, we spent 45 million making our game, how come this one is more fun?" "We should research that!" "ANOTHER 45 MILLION TOWARDS FUN!"

I was going to make the comparison to M&B as well. The sketchy graphics reminded me of it. If one of the behemoth dev studios were smart, they would buy Tale Worlds and steal the combat system for the next great RPG or MMOG.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 10:39:33 AM

NDA

What if EA or SoE are listening?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2005, 10:58:33 AM

NDA

What if EA or SoE are listening?

That's fine. They have both proved they don't care about The Fun.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 11:02:56 AM

Anyways, since I have played this and it's the topic of the thread, here's what I remember.

The game has a pretty interesting user interface. It reminds me of Ultima Underworld, and how you had just 1/4th of the screen up in the top left where you could see the action. When you play this, at least what I saw, it's a lot like that.

I made a barbarian, instead of a roman, and I started in some village. When I walked, it was incredibly slow. Like I was a big fat barbarian. There was a ton of 'head bob' to indicate, yes, I was in fact taking steps.

I figured that since I was a barbarian, I'd have a weapon and some attack animations or something. I had an "axe" in my inventory, and when I 'looked' at it, or tried to ID it, it said "axe".

I equipped it but I couldn't see it on me anywhere, and I couldn't figure out how to go into "attack mode" and wield it.

So I tried to walk out of town but nearly got sick from all the bobbing, plus the fact that it took me like 2 minutes to go about 150 yards.

I'm not even sure if I still have it installed, I guess I'll see if I can get an UPDATED version of BobbingSickSimulator50AD.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: October 12, 2005, 11:15:00 AM

Was "axe" spelled in all lowercase like that too?

This would be important.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 12, 2005, 11:22:37 AM

How could I forget a huge detail like that?

"axe".
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 09:22:38 PM

One of the devs was supposed to be hooking me up with some beta slots, but I haven't heard anything from them in months. I take this to mean either the beta isn't at a "ready for loudmouth whiny bitch" stage, or they are really busy.

Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #13 on: October 27, 2005, 02:16:52 PM

If you get in please do the whole Lineage 2 review bit, I'm between games and a bit short of good stuff to read.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #14 on: October 28, 2005, 03:13:01 AM

ROMAAAANS IIIIIN...... ROOOOOME!

Doesn't have quite the same ring.  I miss Imperator  Sad Panda

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 29, 2005, 03:04:17 PM

That's the only mmo where you're required to pay for betatesting.
All you cna test is crafting. To get resources for crafting, you have to buy them off npc (no other way implemented). To buy them off npc, you need ingame money.
Dev's answer on how to get money: buy it form us with your CC, but be beware that we consider it as donation and might not credit it for final release.

Game totally lack content, have sluggiest graphic engine I have ever seen (and I have seen a lot past last 15 years or so) and retarded devs.

I think it's gonna beat Mourning, if they ever dare to release it.
subbob
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 10:39:38 AM

Played a very little in Beta for RV - from my perspective, way too buggy yet to even be in beta. My MTC (mean time to crash) was about 15-20 minutes.

I don't mind participating in a beta and helping test - that's what it is all about.  However, when I spend as much time re-logging back in as I do playing, I quickly lose interest.
Marku
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 11:41:36 AM

ive also beta tested, but i hear at the time of me playing alot of content was taken out to be fixed(combat, npc's etc)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Roma Victor"? Rome AD 180 MMORPG  
Jump to: