Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:56:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173268 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #455 on: September 18, 2008, 11:05:34 AM

I did not play it (Fate 2) more than ten minutes since it did not seem to have any significant updates.  Also, I'm excited about Diablo III.

Edit for top-of-pageness to add context.  Also to say I have mostly been playing LotRO.  My wife has been playing Oblivion and I have dabbled in it as well since I have never finished the main story.  Some GTAIV also, but mostly LotRO.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 11:08:09 AM by Yegolev »

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #456 on: September 18, 2008, 02:51:44 PM

Still playing Just Cause on the 360 when I have a chance to play games. It's glitchy and buggy and full of questionable design decisions but still remains to be fun. I think a big part of that is the pretty. I hope to knock it over this weekend so I can start on another game.

awesome, for real

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #457 on: September 28, 2008, 01:45:51 PM

Last week I finished Penny Arcade Adventures Ep 1 and the single player campaign in WH40K Dawn of War (with corpses turned off and shadows on medium - otherwise I would get a driver crash on my bleeding edge 512MB HD 4870 card).

Last night I started the single player Order campaign in DoW: Winter Assault. I reached the end of the first mission, and got a "Fatal Scar Error" that prevents it from being completed. The very first mission. In a game that's been out for three years.

I won't be playing Winter Assault again tonight.

Note to Relic: Nice QA, guys. In the future, try to make sure the first few missions are rock-solid and unbreakable, so your customers don't return the game in disgust. Just my opinion, of course.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: September 28, 2008, 07:21:12 PM

That sucks, I had a ton of fun with all the DoW expansions and Company of Heroes (I didn't get the CoH expansion).

I never had any problem with any of them.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #459 on: September 28, 2008, 07:30:30 PM

Neocron.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #460 on: September 29, 2008, 07:22:58 AM

Two Worlds - Epic Edition.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #461 on: September 29, 2008, 09:19:43 AM

I didn't get the Epic Edition because the last one was so awful I couldn't play more than a couple of hours without falling asleep.  For me it was really an epic waste of $$. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #462 on: September 29, 2008, 09:29:44 AM

Warhammer Online and NHL 09 are pretty much it right now.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #463 on: September 29, 2008, 09:44:42 AM

Two Worlds Epic Edition worth it? I stumbled upon my old Two Worlds recently and almost installed it again.

Playing Hellgate London right now, just so that I can finish and deinstall it. But i'd rather do something else.
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #464 on: September 29, 2008, 09:47:43 AM

King's Bounty: The Legend and Wipeout HD.  Both Awesome.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: September 29, 2008, 09:57:18 AM

I didn't get the original Two Worlds, I don't think the new edition is worth it for owners of the original unless you play multiplayer.

I'm enjoying it. Mostly run around and hack and slash, but it's fun. I'm surprised the loot whores don't like it, it's got a decent loot system. I've got about 7 hours into it according to my saved game counter, still a ton more content ahead. I'm playing as a paladin type, 2h and healing, but I'm interested in the magic and stealth content, too.

I'm not sure why people bitched about the horses, they work fine. They're just not magic legs, they have an AI and balk, but it's done sensibly. Just know if you go out near a ledge, it's going to get annoying...so don't do it.

Note I have a high tolerance for Eurorpg quirks, I love the Gothic series, even if the third wasn't the best. Ironically, Two Worlds is kinda like Gothic 3.5. My biggest gripes are voice acting and having a huge open world that has roads to everything of interest. I like to explore, and not always on a road...
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #466 on: September 29, 2008, 11:15:19 AM

I like Gothic 1 & 2, but not 3.  I didn't like Oblivion, either.  I was able to muddle through a fair bit of Gothic 3 and, though the worst of the lot, I thought it was tons better than Two Worlds.  There is yet another Two Worlds game, completely new, coming out next year.  Either March or May, I forget.  I'm sure I won't buy it so this is a just sayin'....

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #467 on: September 29, 2008, 11:18:33 AM

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots and WAR.

Mostly the former, as it really is a masterpiece and it's hard to put down. A bit long winded and the plot at this point is extremely convoluted considering all baggage this game brought with it.  They seem to be tying off a lot of the plot threads, but there are just so many (seems to be some reconning, but I can't be sure). Still, this game has me engrossed.  Everything it does, it just does so well.  It's beautiful. It oozes style and polish out of every pore.  The action is fun and the stealth is serviceable (not as good as other sneakers, imo, but the Eastern Europe mission showed it off well).  Glad I picked it up despite some reservations about it (heh, last Metal Gear I played about 2 hours of Metal Gear Solid).

WAR, I took a few days off. Considering my late start, I'm going to be the guild lowbie forever. I imagine most alts will hit max level before I do.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #468 on: September 29, 2008, 12:22:23 PM

Last week I finished Penny Arcade Adventures Ep 1 and the single player campaign in WH40K Dawn of War (with corpses turned off and shadows on medium - otherwise I would get a driver crash on my bleeding edge 512MB HD 4870 card).

Last night I started the single player Order campaign in DoW: Winter Assault. I reached the end of the first mission, and got a "Fatal Scar Error" that prevents it from being completed. The very first mission. In a game that's been out for three years.

I won't be playing Winter Assault again tonight.

Note to Relic: Nice QA, guys. In the future, try to make sure the first few missions are rock-solid and unbreakable, so your customers don't return the game in disgust. Just my opinion, of course.

I am thinking perhaps your install is corrupt in some way, neither I nor a couple other people I know had any problems like that. Rampant unit balance issues? That's another kettle of fish.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: September 29, 2008, 01:34:28 PM

I installed VMWare Fusion 2 demo to see if I can't play some XP games without needing a partition or Boot Camp.

Installation was a SNAP, and XP installed in like 15 minutes as opposed to the hour it took in Boot Camp last year for a normal OS install.  All I did was put in my XP S2 disk, put in the key, and I went back into Macland and let XP install.

In use it makes OSX a bit pokey, and it takes some time to get up to speed when you start it.  (Just like real XP!)  I haven't tested any modern game, but Baldur's Gate ran TOO FAST.  Icewind Dale with all the fixins and at high res ran a bit too slow, though playable.  I might try a few things to speed it up.  See, VMWare actually uses its own drivers and such in XP so XP doesn't really "see" my ATI HD2600 video or anything.  Hell, ATI tools didnt even acknowledge there being an ATI video system!

So I need to tweak.  With 2 gigs of ram some of it stays for OSX no matter what, so I REALLY recommend 4 gigs or more if you want to use Fusion to its utmost.

I'll try some more games and different settings (apparently using 2 cores might actually be slowing Fusion DOWN) and see what I can see.

But as an emulation platform for old games it really does rock.  Make a virtual HD similar to DOSBox with Fusion and you can have multiple OSes all running stuff.  I might buy a full copy of 98SE to run all those apps that XP loathes.  Give it 50 gigs and I can play Warlords 3 again!  Moo2 in its Windows form!  The old Warhammer 40K SSI games!  Final Liberation with video actually WORKING!

Hell, it can even do Windows 3.1! 

They keep updating it too, but 2.x is the first time I have bothered.  (No Direct X 9 support?  That means no DoW!  No Chaos mans killing Space Marines makes Little Washuu cry.)

Oh, and I am playing Dragon Quest 4 on the DS because Etrian Odyssey 2 became a pain in my ass because the level 15 boss is a douchebag.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #470 on: September 29, 2008, 01:48:40 PM

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't VMware only use some form of VGA emulation driver, so essentially you can't really play anything that requires a 'real' video card? BG might work, since its so old that the processor can probably do all video handling without a problem, but anything older than, say, 2003 might be an issue. That is, unless I completely misunderstood how VMware handles video.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #471 on: September 29, 2008, 02:09:03 PM

I am thinking perhaps your install is corrupt in some way

I didn't have any other problems playing the game, though I can't discount that absolutely. I lean towards the botched-testing hypothesis because Scar ("SCripting At Relic) is DoW's mission building language. I suspect I completed the objectives in some way that the scripting didn't expect and couldn't handle.

- Henry Cobb
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #472 on: September 29, 2008, 02:10:41 PM

I didn't have any other problems playing the game, though I can't discount that absolutely. I lean towards the botched-testing hypothesis because Scar ("SCripting At Relic) is DoW's mission building language. I suspect I completed the objectives in some way that the scripting didn't expect and couldn't handle.

Ah. Well, you should skip the Winter Assault campaigns and move on to the free-form Dark Crusade or Soulstorm campaigns anyway, they're more fun.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #473 on: September 29, 2008, 04:31:33 PM

correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't VMware only use some form of VGA emulation driver, so essentially you can't really play anything that requires a 'real' video card? BG might work, since its so old that the processor can probably do all video handling without a problem, but anything older than, say, 2003 might be an issue. That is, unless I completely misunderstood how VMware handles video.

Im not sure.  I know it CAN do DX9 games.  Hell, they show it running Gears of War (poorly, but running it) in a youtube video.

Apparently some folks have even gotten Warhammer Online running, albeit in a slideshow fashion.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #474 on: September 29, 2008, 08:11:25 PM

Lego Batman.  It's exactly what you might expect.
Started the Beyond Protocol beta and it's actually very interesting.  It won't win any awards for graphics but it makes up for that with an incredibly complex game system.
Also LotRO when I can... which is right after I post this.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: September 29, 2008, 08:49:01 PM

Samurai Showdown 2.  awesome, for real

God I love that game.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Oz
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: September 30, 2008, 08:04:06 AM

WAR and wipeout HD...
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #477 on: September 30, 2008, 09:33:55 AM

Game called on account of LotRO fall festival. Must collect useless crap they don't give you enough storage space for.

- Henry Cobb
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #478 on: September 30, 2008, 09:41:45 AM

I kept meaning to get to (er, find) the Fall Festival but somehow I couldn't tear myself away from all the hobbit-errands I was wrapped up in.  Saw a hobbit with a neat pumpkin helmet, though.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: September 30, 2008, 09:47:23 AM

Ah, wonder if EQ2 has any new masks this year.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #480 on: September 30, 2008, 11:48:41 AM

Ah. Well, you should skip the Winter Assault campaigns and move on to the free-form Dark Crusade or Soulstorm campaigns anyway, they're more fun.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

This. I tried playing the Winter Assault campaign because I love Imperial Guard, but I got 3 missions in and just couldn't take it. The constant switch between Elder and Imp. Guard DURING THE MISSION was annoying as hell. Dark Crusade was much better.

Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: October 01, 2008, 06:24:59 AM

I've been playing King's Bounty: The Legend mostly.  If you like HOMM, download the demo.  I've had a blast with it.

I downloaded Hinterlands yesterday as well.  I really like the concept and its a fun little game but I want more complexity. 

Also, Wipeout HD.   Heart

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: October 01, 2008, 04:36:47 PM

Got stuck on Hinterlands after checking it out a bit. Won't keep me glued to the monitor for weeks, but its a fun little game.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: October 02, 2008, 10:09:40 PM

I started a Dark Crusade campaign as the Tau. My first attempt to attack anything, in a nutshell:

"Hi, we're the Tau! We control all but one strategic point on the map."

"We are Necron. Strategic points are for the weak. No weapon you possess can really hurt us. Don't even think about attacking our invulnerable, Green Energy (TM) chain-casting base. Plus, all our units respawn every few minutes."

handful of Necron units destroy the entire Tau army, including commander, vehicles, and heavy mechs

Ha ha ha! Isn't that funny? Lern 2 play, n00b.

quits and uninstalls
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 10:11:20 PM by Stormwaltz »

- Henry Cobb
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: October 02, 2008, 11:01:49 PM

Tau was is the hardest to play for me. I find the best way to play them is to put a scout unit (I think they are built at strategic points) in the squad, and kite the enemy.

Once upgraded you can pretty much lay waste to everything, shooting off-screen almost. But once something comes close, they are toast.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: October 03, 2008, 09:30:25 AM

After the debate and ensuing discussion at my house, I fired up the pc and game ennui took over...I was kind of getting burned out on Two Worlds. Figured since the computer was on, I'd at least head back to where I was questing (I had saved in a city after a massive shopping trip). Then I figured I'd run up the hill and zomg tons of zombies and necromancers with cool voices come barreling out of this tower, and behind the tower...undead horse! Woo!

Definitely a fun loot whore hack-n-slasher. Wish the dungeons had a bit more to them, even Oblivion does better. Maybe about like Morrowind's dungeons.

Also, with all the cool armor, I ended up with a matched suit of this horrid black and red zome EBIL stuff. Great stats, but I look like some kid's wankfest of a soopercool badass. Blah. Thinking of taking the armor class and stat hits by starting to upgrade a new suit. The system is really nice, though. You get a bonus for wearing a full set of anything, there are hundreds of sets, and you can upgrade all the pieces and each upgrade carries it's stats. So my 205 AC piece could be upgraded one class by another 205 AC piece with +8 str and be 260 AC +8 Str, for instance.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #486 on: October 03, 2008, 11:01:15 AM

Lego Batman is great.  So is Force Unleashed.  And LotRO.  I play these now.

FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: October 03, 2008, 02:03:18 PM

I loved the equipment system in 2worlds, Sky.

Even if it really makes no sense, it was fun to play around with.

Bandit
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: October 08, 2008, 06:24:43 AM

I've been playing King's Bounty: The Legend mostly.  If you like HOMM, download the demo.  I've had a blast with it.

King's Bounty has consumed me right now.  It has the "one more turn" quality to it.  Definitely an, albeit better, HOMM Clone.

KB definitely eating into my LOTRO time.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #489 on: October 09, 2008, 03:36:03 PM

I'm in Chapter 2 of Icewind Dale now.  Paladin, Ranger, Dwarven Fighter Thief, Druid, Bard, and Elven Fighter Mage.  (Heart of Winter and Luremaster packs installed.)

Sigh.  The Infinity Engine games would be SOO MUCH BETTER if they were true turn based.
Too much die load repeat/buff spell in some of these combats.
(Then of course you camp to get spells and HPs back.)

It was tough as hell beating the Lizard King till I had my Druid cast Entangle and my Mage cast Web the second the King declared an attack, then having my Bard and the Mage shoot their Bows and Crossbows and kill most of the lizzies before they could reach us, with a couple extra spells from the Druid for buffing purposes.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: