Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:44:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173443 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #315 on: August 04, 2008, 04:00:54 AM

I'm playing Dawn of War mostly, the initial campaign.  Maybe I will make it to the end before I get bored, but if not then I'll probably just skip to the next pack.

I found the initial DoW campaign much more fun (I finished it!) than the Imperial Guard expansion or the stuff that came later (none of which I finished).

Your comment is why I'm ignoring advice to skip the "boring" first campaign; that advice came from someone who really likes undead and really likes outer space.  I'm something of a completionist anyway, having a hard time picking up a series in the middle even if the first one is known to suck.

Contrary to the above, I'm playing Izuna 2 without having played the first.  It reminds me of Baroque except it's uglier, has a more "normal" story, and the main character is KAWAIII!  I might buy the first one anyway.  It's Success and Atlus, so I kinda have to.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #316 on: August 04, 2008, 04:10:28 AM

I haven't played Izuna 2 yet, I played through Izuna 1 but it wasn't HARDCORE enough.

My suggestion, skip Izuna 1 and get Mysterious Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer. Or whatever the horrible rename was.

Also, Torneko came out for the PS1 in America. If you can track it down, it's amazing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #317 on: August 04, 2008, 07:27:36 AM

I would not call Izuna 2 hardcore.  You get to keep your level and experience when you die, for one thing.

I suppose this is one of those "fushigi no dungeon" games I have heard about.  I'm sadly new to the genre.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #318 on: August 04, 2008, 07:39:18 AM

Yea, but instead of Mystery Dungeon, it's been neutered to be more like Pussy no Dungeon. Pick up Shiren the Wanderer if you get a chance. You'll know what it is when you see it because it has the worst cover on the entire DS shelf, next to Imagine Babyz.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #319 on: August 04, 2008, 07:44:11 AM

Actually Izuna is more like Titty no Dungeon, so that helps.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: August 04, 2008, 07:56:42 AM

Overlord. 10 bucks at EB Games. The minions crack me up but overall the game is just ok so far.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #321 on: August 04, 2008, 11:53:09 AM

I liked Overlord.  It was slow in places but generally fun.  It made up for possible shortcomings with humor.  The expansion has been considered, but I'm more apt to play the Oblivion and Mass Effect expansions first.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #322 on: August 04, 2008, 12:00:30 PM

I've toyed with the idea of getting Overlord since it hit bin pricing. The demo was a lot of fun, even if the mechanics seemed a bit kludgy.
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: August 04, 2008, 12:02:44 PM

Yea, but instead of Mystery Dungeon, it's been neutered to be more like Pussy no Dungeon. Pick up Shiren the Wanderer if you get a chance. You'll know what it is when you see it because it has the worst cover on the entire DS shelf, next to Imagine Babyz.

If I want to be abused in videogames I will just play the NES Ninja Gaidens.  Or for Roguelikes any of the many free ones on the net.

Oh wait.  Even free they are unfun shitfests.
schild
Administrator

Reply #324 on: August 04, 2008, 12:08:08 PM

Here's an idea, try playing it first, thx.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #325 on: August 04, 2008, 12:09:59 PM

I'm playing Dawn of War mostly, the initial campaign.  Maybe I will make it to the end before I get bored, but if not then I'll probably just skip to the next pack.

I found the initial DoW campaign much more fun (I finished it!) than the Imperial Guard expansion or the stuff that came later (none of which I finished).

Your comment is why I'm ignoring advice to skip the "boring" first campaign; that advice came from someone who really likes undead and really likes outer space.  I'm something of a completionist anyway, having a hard time picking up a series in the middle even if the first one is known to suck.

The 'style' of the campaigns changes after Winter Assault to a more Total War-esque world map/local fight sort of thing, so if you like the more story-based campaigns you won't want to skip ahead, since you won't have those from Dark Crusade on.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #326 on: August 04, 2008, 12:22:43 PM

The fushigi no dungeon is only abuse if you cannot let go of your RPG materialism.  Crying over losing your sweet branded and parasited sword in Baroque means you're not enjoying yourself properly; learning how to survive in the dungeon is the game, not collecting loot exactly.  It's a different mindset or take on the random-loot ideal, where your character is like a blank slate that you socket things to as you progress.  Baroque is probably the only game in which I have purposely thrown away powerful weapons, sending them to town for use on my next run.  I also don't have much fear of combining 90% of my inventory into new items that probably suck, just to see what I might get, because I'm just going to die anyway.

After a break, I'm playing with the Visual Studio C# Express again.  This fresh look could be the big breakthrough where I finally grok it.  It's not as exciting as some games, but I'm hoping for a big finale.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #327 on: August 04, 2008, 02:25:08 PM

Overlord. 10 bucks at EB Games. The minions crack me up but overall the game is just ok so far.

Same.  I've spent 10 bucks on a lot worse.  When it came out I didn't have the PC for it and it was overlooked.  Now that I'm bored, for 10 bucks I can't go wrong.  If I finish it and want more, the xpac for it is 8.99 off their site as a download. 

Also playing:
Wii Mario Galaxy
Wii Metroid Prime
PC Mass Effect
PC WoW

Waiting on:
WAR
WoW xpac
Witcher mega-patch
various others, but those are the bigguns. 
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #328 on: August 04, 2008, 02:43:05 PM

Do you only play games that begin with W? (or M?)
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: August 04, 2008, 05:32:47 PM

The fushigi no dungeon is only abuse if you cannot let go of your RPG materialism.  Crying over losing your sweet branded and parasited sword in Baroque means you're not enjoying yourself properly; learning how to survive in the dungeon is the game, not collecting loot exactly.  It's a different mindset or take on the random-loot ideal, where your character is like a blank slate that you socket things to as you progress.  Baroque is probably the only game in which I have purposely thrown away powerful weapons, sending them to town for use on my next run.  I also don't have much fear of combining 90% of my inventory into new items that probably suck, just to see what I might get, because I'm just going to die anyway.

After a break, I'm playing with the Visual Studio C# Express again.  This fresh look could be the big breakthrough where I finally grok it.  It's not as exciting as some games, but I'm hoping for a big finale.

See I don't like that sort of thing.  I like collecting cool stuff and kicking lots of ass in the name of Truth, Love, and Courage. 
For me, Roguelikes tend to be annoying, not fun.  I don't mind a challenge, but in my videogames I always want to feel I haven't wasted my time, and that my failures were generally my fault and I will get it next time.  However long it takes from my last save point anyhow.
I have a couple console Roguelikes and they really don't do anything for me.  The first Pokemon dungeon game which is pretty tedious, and Druaga, which is less tedious but has tons of cheap deaths and the whole equipment death spiral thing I hate.  (Many Roguelikes are sort of like playing Gradius.  Its easy peasy until the first time you die and lose all your powerups.  Then the game becomes impossible and you have to do everything over again.  That isn't fun to me.)

I gave Angband a try for a while.  But after the 12 dead character and they all pretty much doing the same thing but making it to different levels I just gave up. 

Hell, even back in the C64 days I used swap disk tricks to keep from losing my characters to bad luck in Ultima, Wizardry, and the Bard's Tale. 
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:11 PM

What are you trying to accomplish?

I've been playing um...watching Sergio Leone and John Carpenter movies. Last night I watched Once Upon a Time in the West and Big Trouble in Little China. Before that I watched Escape from New York.

Ninja Gaiden for the NES rules.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: August 05, 2008, 05:59:48 AM

Do you only play games that begin with W? (or M?)

Don't forget 'O' for Overlord.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #332 on: August 05, 2008, 06:24:22 AM

What are you trying to accomplish?

Going to make good on my promise to write a better MTGO than WOTC.  Well, it won't actually be MTG since I have my own design in mind, but I figure a card game will be an easy enough first project since graphics are hard and stuff.

voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #333 on: August 05, 2008, 07:16:45 AM

I'm now playing ZOMG iPHONE!!1!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #334 on: August 05, 2008, 07:39:21 AM

I'm now playing ZOMG iPHONE!!1!
I've heard of 3G. Is that the zombie generation phone?
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #335 on: August 05, 2008, 08:29:20 AM

I've heard of 3G. Is that the zombie generation phone?

If it is, all I can say is "Braaaiiiiins".

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: August 05, 2008, 08:43:00 AM

Need to train Death Rattle.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #337 on: August 05, 2008, 08:56:35 AM

My bad, I meant "Bra!nz".

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: August 07, 2008, 02:30:36 AM

I really wish the remake of Hired Guns had actually come out.

:(

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: August 07, 2008, 03:07:19 AM

I really wish the remake of Hired Guns had actually come out.

The Psygnosis Sci-Fi RPG from the early/mid 90s?  Or is there another Hired Guns game?

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: August 07, 2008, 03:42:35 AM

Yeah, that one.

Part of my childhood.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #341 on: August 07, 2008, 11:46:31 AM

Playing Uncharted again so I can get trophies.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #342 on: August 07, 2008, 12:42:56 PM

The boy has been bugging me all day to play a video game, so I finally relented and have him started on a new game of Super Mario Bros. 3.  His education begins today.

schild
Administrator

Reply #343 on: August 07, 2008, 12:48:49 PM

I hope your regiment is impossible games with a smattering of simple games. Like going from Mega Man 2 to Ducktales. It's the only way to raise a kid.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #344 on: August 07, 2008, 12:51:01 PM

I'll have to be flexible, he's already crying uncle and asking to play Mario Galaxy.  Maybe I'm too hard on him; he said he couldn't get past something and I said from the other room "Learn to jump!"

schild
Administrator

Reply #345 on: August 07, 2008, 12:51:55 PM

Better than what my parents would say "Go read a book! Go outside! Finish your shitty vegetables!" Should I lecture him on how easy he has it? You could've started him off on Mario 1 and Golf.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #346 on: August 07, 2008, 01:20:45 PM

FF: My Life as King is just too damn addictive. I really love this type of game and would really love to see something more detailed and with higher production values along the same line.  The ability to play it relaxed without angry monsters raping your base is a nice touch.

Still playing:
Digital Devil Saga
Super Mario Galaxy
WoW (barely, I fucking hate drama)

-Rasix
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #347 on: August 08, 2008, 12:25:46 PM

The boy is now playing Chibi Robo.  I'm OK with that because he had some time with The Incredible Machine 2 earlier today and he's getting pretty creative.  He has even started drawing Fantastic Contraption puzzles and solutions on paper.  In fact, he made a fucking flip-book of a Fantastic Contraption.  I still wish he could jump over a koopa, though.

I sort of feel bad for not making him go into the yard.

I started Planescape again yesterday.

schild
Administrator

Reply #348 on: August 08, 2008, 12:34:22 PM

Disgaea 3.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #349 on: August 08, 2008, 12:34:58 PM

Hey, fuck you, buddy.

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: