Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173199 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15330 on: January 27, 2023, 04:55:02 AM

I've been playing Death Stranding and so far I'm not getting the raves about it. It's about 70% cutscenes, 30% fetch quest in slow motion. I'm on the verge of just giving up on it but I hear it eventually becomes worth it even if it is super strange and not very exciting to play.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15331 on: January 27, 2023, 05:59:35 AM

For Death Stranding, the journey is the destination imo. Though I do agree it could drop 90% of the cutscenes and be a better game. Building your first travel network over the mountains is one of my favorite moments in gaming.

edited to add: Deadpool is a nice addition to Midnight Suns. Voice actor is ok, though RR definitely set the bar and they don't reach that, thus far (unlike the guy who does a great RDJ Tony Stark). Voice work is pretty good across the board, only real weak points are Cap and Agatha, maybe Banner. And of course the male protagonist, though I'm not sure if that's just dissonance for me because he sounds like the stiffest white dude ever and yet in my game he looks like Purple Rain-era Prince.

Anyway, DP is of course over the top, but the game benefits from a little of that, especially in the combat VOs. I only ran the mission to unlock him, as I'm still only about halfway through the story missions.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 06:57:46 AM by Sky »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #15332 on: January 27, 2023, 07:57:47 AM

Forspoken has eaten up the last few days. A bunch of gamer dorks have shit on it as being watered down Elden Ring with “cringe” dialogue but I’m loving the hell out of it. The worldbuilding is solid and the combat/traversal mechanics are cool as shit.

I saw a few gameplay vids - looks like a fun game, it is a Square Enix game right?

Just a word of warning, it's reviewing extremely poor, and that's not limited to the cringe factor. The entire Giant Bomb crew hated it. There are some glowing reviews out there, so maybe it's more of a personal taste sort of thing combined with some odd design decisions.

There is a demo out there if you want to try it. Just realize in the retail, it supposedly takes a while to build to the power level you get with the demo.

-Rasix
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15333 on: January 27, 2023, 09:51:45 AM

I've been playing Death Stranding and so far I'm not getting the raves about it. It's about 70% cutscenes, 30% fetch quest in slow motion. I'm on the verge of just giving up on it but I hear it eventually becomes worth it even if it is super strange and not very exciting to play.

I gave up on it.  I would have tolerated and perhaps even enjoyed the slogging gameplay if I could get into the world, but I never got to the point where any of it made sense.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15334 on: January 27, 2023, 10:04:58 AM

It sounds like you haven't yet reached the part where the game opens up and gives you a lot more freedom. If you don't like the hiking simulator part of the game you probably don't want to keep going but if it's the constant cutscenes that's the issue you might want to keep going. There's still a lot of cutscenes but they are spaced much further apart, unless you are trying to progress the story as fast as possible.

If you look at this map:

https://mapgenie.io/death-stranding/maps/world

it sounds like you are still on the continent on the far right. When you get to the big middle continent the game opens up.

Edit: this is our DS topic, the first 2 pages are light on spoilers and more about impressions and basic tips: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=26126.0

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 10:15:21 AM by Trippy »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #15335 on: January 27, 2023, 04:42:58 PM

Forspoken has eaten up the last few days. A bunch of gamer dorks have shit on it as being watered down Elden Ring with “cringe” dialogue but I’m loving the hell out of it. The worldbuilding is solid and the combat/traversal mechanics are cool as shit.

I saw a few gameplay vids - looks like a fun game, it is a Square Enix game right?

Just a word of warning, it's reviewing extremely poor, and that's not limited to the cringe factor. The entire Giant Bomb crew hated it. There are some glowing reviews out there, so maybe it's more of a personal taste sort of thing combined with some odd design decisions.

There is a demo out there if you want to try it. Just realize in the retail, it supposedly takes a while to build to the power level you get with the demo.

Every bad review I’ve seen has been of the “I’m too cool for games like this”, variety.

The story’s compelling, the protagonist is a likable, if selfish asshole with mommy issues who make a couple of dumb, forced decisions obviously meant to move the plot forward but the gameplay, her evolving power sets and my desire to get to the bottom of it all has made it worthwhile.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15336 on: January 28, 2023, 09:56:41 AM

I had a number of false starts in Death Stranding--mostly just annoyance with the appropriately described "combined hiking simulator + door dash deliveryman" thing and the fucking weird world-building and storyline. But yeah, once I hit the point where I was building a travel network, I got really hooked.

I never liked the cutscenes and story, though.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15337 on: January 30, 2023, 06:23:07 AM

It sounds like you haven't yet reached the part where the game opens up and gives you a lot more freedom. If you don't like the hiking simulator part of the game you probably don't want to keep going but if it's the constant cutscenes that's the issue you might want to keep going. There's still a lot of cutscenes but they are spaced much further apart, unless you are trying to progress the story as fast as possible.

If you look at this map:

https://mapgenie.io/death-stranding/maps/world

it sounds like you are still on the continent on the far right. When you get to the big middle continent the game opens up.

Edit: this is our DS topic, the first 2 pages are light on spoilers and more about impressions and basic tips: http://forums.f13.net/index.php?topic=26126.0

I'm now in the middle part of the map and encountered my first partially rebuilt highway. I'm almost ready for South Knot City I think. It's an interesting game though it really is "Fetch Quest: The Game" combined with super bizarre world building. I think the last thing I did last night was reunite the Junk Dealer with the girlfriend he thought was dead. I found that quest really bizarre because I had to carry her back to his bunker. I literally said out loud at least twice "She's not walking to his place why?"

It's a weird game. I find I can't play it for long stretches because I hit that "oh god, I have to go here to get this and then take it there" fatigue really quick in the game because that is the entire gameplay loop. I am intrigued by a few of the characters though not Sam really. He is oddly kind of bland for my tastes but I'm intrigued by Fragile and a few others at least.

I still don't know if I'll finish the story or just burn out when I have to carry yet more heavy stuff across the damn map. I suppose time will tell. I'll check out that forum thread, thanks.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #15338 on: January 30, 2023, 06:46:06 AM

You keep saying 'fetch quest' but it's literally a game about a delivery guy. What did you expect?

If you're not into the traversal and exploration parts, may as well quit now. If you're in it mostly for the story, I guess we found the one person that was for :D
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #15339 on: January 30, 2023, 08:53:09 AM

One of the easter eggs I liked about Death Stranding was if you call out when it is your birthday, the echoed responses will wish you a happy birthday. That caught me off guard but found myself smiling.

Otherwise, I enjoyed the game and all it's bizarre situations and encounters.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15340 on: January 30, 2023, 01:26:07 PM

I'm now in the middle part of the map and encountered my first partially rebuilt highway. I'm almost ready for South Knot City I think. It's an interesting game though it really is "Fetch Quest: The Game" combined with super bizarre world building. I think the last thing I did last night was reunite the Junk Dealer with the girlfriend he thought was dead. I found that quest really bizarre because I had to carry her back to his bunker. I literally said out loud at least twice "She's not walking to his place why?"
She can't go by herself cause she doesn't know the (safe) route. As for why you need to actually carry her I can't remember if there's an in-game explanation for that.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15341 on: January 30, 2023, 04:19:47 PM

She can't go by herself cause she doesn't know the (safe) route. As for why you need to actually carry her I can't remember if there's an in-game explanation for that.

It just amused me. I have a truck now and people are rebuilding highways. Just got the ziplines but haven't put one up and now I have to go to a Mountain City. The oddness of the game really messes with me and I do have to take breaks either because something super weird just happened or I get tired of hauling stuff around though it is about 10000% easier now that I can stick a shitload of stuff into my truck.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15342 on: January 30, 2023, 08:31:31 PM

The zipline building is what absolutely hooked me hard.

But it might be different if not too many people are playing it now--that was where the implementation of quasi-multiplayer felt kind of cool.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15343 on: January 30, 2023, 08:45:25 PM

I haven't checked but I would think the game can just use build events from other players in the past as you progress through the game.

I speculated in the original thread that the game is "selective" in what other player build events show up in your world. E.g. it will always, from what I saw, make you invest at least some materials in each major road segment so that you feel like you are contributing. Or in the mountains, when building zipline towers, it'll put up some by other players but leave you to fill in the "gaps" and connect things together.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15344 on: January 31, 2023, 08:30:28 AM

I am getting notifications fairly consistently about players putting materials into stuff, even stuff I haven't even looked at myself. Last night people were trying to build a race track it seems, for example. I've been obsessed with trying to build roads though haven't really found a good method to insure I have enough mats. I tend to take as much as I can from nearby locations and occasionally hit Mule camps.

Anyway, I should probably stop before I derail the thread. Next week I'm going to play Hogwart's Legacy I think. I'm super torn on it and even talked to a friend who has two non-binary children. She understood how I both don't want to support Rowling but don't hold the devs, artists, voice actors, etc responsible for Rowlings views. She suggested I donate to a charity that supports LGBTQ+ if I want to try the game and am feeling guilty about it so I think that's what I'll do. And as she said "Your money is pennies to that woman, so don't worry about that."

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #15345 on: January 31, 2023, 09:27:01 AM

I am getting notifications fairly consistently about players putting materials into stuff, even stuff I haven't even looked at myself. Last night people were trying to build a race track it seems, for example. I've been obsessed with trying to build roads though haven't really found a good method to insure I have enough mats. I tend to take as much as I can from nearby locations and occasionally hit Mule camps.
There are an endless number of standard delivery missions with materials to get what you need to build. You will need to wait a bit for them to regenerate, though.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15346 on: January 31, 2023, 11:19:49 AM

WRT to the Hogwart's game, I think before I ever get into Rowling's social media escapades, I'm kind of grossed out by the idea that a big part of the questlines involve suppressing a goblin rebellion in 1890, unless they've managed to flip the script on that and have the characters siding with goblins. This is down to Rowling's really weak world-building, in the end--she wants there to be wizards all over the world and for wizards to be relative equals but she also wants her world to track against British history--so in 1890, are British wizards engaged in the imperial conquest of wizards abroad or maintaining quasi-racial hierarchies over non-human magical beings like goblins and house elves? Kind of takes the fun out of it unless you've been itching to play your own version of Draco Malfoy.
Terracotta Army

Reply #15347 on: January 31, 2023, 06:00:19 PM

WRT to the Hogwart's game, I think before I ever get into Rowling's social media escapades, I'm kind of grossed out by the idea that a big part of the questlines involve suppressing a goblin rebellion in 1890, unless they've managed to flip the script on that and have the characters siding with goblins. This is down to Rowling's really weak world-building, in the end--she wants there to be wizards all over the world and for wizards to be relative equals but she also wants her world to track against British history--so in 1890, are British wizards engaged in the imperial conquest of wizards abroad or maintaining quasi-racial hierarchies over non-human magical beings like goblins and house elves? Kind of takes the fun out of it unless you've been itching to play your own version of Draco Malfoy.

That's fair, but no one playing the game is going to be going that deep into things, myself included.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15348 on: February 01, 2023, 06:50:01 AM

I seriously doubt the game devs would take things that down the Imperialism route.. They went out of their way to be inclusive. If Imperialism comes up it'll probably be something like "dark wizards helped conquer nation X today." but I suspect they'll avoid the subject altogether.

As for the goblins, my guess is Rowling said something like "no Dark Lords, there weren't any at that time." and they wanted some big evil for players to fight so decided on making the Goblins the enemy because "orcs and goblins are always bad right?" I doubt more thought went into it than that. The only potentially troublesome issue is that some people think Rowling coded the goblins as Jewish stereotypes. I can see where people get that idea but I took them at face value personally.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15349 on: February 01, 2023, 07:45:35 AM

I don't really think they went out of their way to be inclusive if they have players fighting a bunch of anti-Semitic stereotypes who are rebelling against wizards who have enslaved them.

I mean, the books canonically establish that wizards enslaved house elves, who were once independent. I can't say that I'd enjoy playing a game in that universe were all about keeping house elves subservient to wizards.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15350 on: February 01, 2023, 04:12:40 PM

I just want to cast magic spells and maybe fly around on a broom, and have literally zero interest in trying to read into the political bullshit. Also I really doubt the kids of Hogwarts are going to be capturing and enslaving house elves. swamp poop

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15351 on: February 01, 2023, 07:46:53 PM

I don't really think they went out of their way to be inclusive if they have players fighting a bunch of anti-Semitic stereotypes who are rebelling against wizards who have enslaved them.

I mean, the books canonically establish that wizards enslaved house elves, who were once independent. I can't say that I'd enjoy playing a game in that universe were all about keeping house elves subservient to wizards.

I suspect they'll take the easy way out and either not have house elves around at all or if they are, it'll be one and give you a good/evil quest option. Good option being to free it of course.

We only have what the devs have said and that they have made the character creator so you can have a male/female body, male/female voice and choose a wizard/witch dorm without any kind of gender choices being made. I'm not sure how the game will handle pronouns if at all.

I didn't know the goblins were enslaved but I've never done a deep dive into Potter lore. I read the books once, years ago and enjoyed them but read them more or less on a surface level. I also saw the movies and enjoyed them as well. I didn't realize the goblins were anti-Semitic because I simply read them as typical fantasy goblins with a bit of fantasy dwarf mixed in and in the movies my main thought was "oh, that's the Willow actor! ". I can see where it is easy to read the goblins as anti-Semitic stereotypes though I don't know if it was intentional or not.

The main thing I know about Rowling is her TERF stances though she does seem to be accepting of the rest of the LGBTQ+ community so it weirds me out that she has a blind spot for trans people. Then again, I've heard even people within the LGBTQ+ community are not as accepting of trans as you'd think.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15352 on: February 02, 2023, 06:14:34 AM

I'm not sure stereotypes in this kind of stuff are ever conscious, intentional, etc.--I don't think Gene Roddenberry said "I know, let's have the new alien enemies in TNG be money-crazed perverted sort of Jews" but that's kind of how the Ferengi came off. I think it's more that you want a creative person to stop and say "so hang on, I've decided that the goblins are bankers who are little guys with big noses, maybe I need to rethink".
Terracotta Army

Reply #15353 on: February 02, 2023, 10:23:11 AM

Read the books and watched the movies several times and paid attention to the goblins - skimmed right over that abbreviated back story. The house elves played a way bigger role in the books (probably left out of the movies for the very reasons Khal is getting at) but I saw that as filler with a small side of activism with Hermione. I just saw it as a story of the boy wizard making it thru school with a huge curse and target on his back.

If you want to read into it as some allegory to oppression in history, have at it and it would make for some interesting connections, but I doubt it will phase any HP fans who want to play out their school age wizard fantasies in a video game.

Now if the game sucks for gameplay/balance reasons, I am sure you'll hear about that continuously rather than how goblins are being portrayed.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15354 on: February 02, 2023, 10:35:00 AM

If you want to read into it as some allegory to oppression in history, have at it and it would make for some interesting connections, but I doubt it will phase any HP fans who want to play out their school age wizard fantasies in a video game.

I'm sure you're right in that for anybody who is still willing to purchase a Harry Potter product at this point, this wouldn't be the straw that breaks it for them.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #15355 on: February 02, 2023, 05:31:03 PM

Pretty much this. I have to think that the devs on this are now on hyper-alert about how much their content is going to be read over under a microscope, so...if they make an obvious fuck-up at this point that is an unforced error as opposed to having to carry Rowling's weak world-creation, that's on them.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15356 on: February 02, 2023, 06:22:59 PM

Pretty much this. I have to think that the devs on this are now on hyper-alert about how much their content is going to be read over under a microscope, so...if they make an obvious fuck-up at this point that is an unforced error as opposed to having to carry Rowling's weak world-creation, that's on them.

In fairness to the devs on the Rowling issues, her views didn't become widely known until 2020 if my quick googling is right. Another quick Google showed that the game devs are owned by WB and footage leaked as early as 2018 and the formal announcement was in late 2020. So the game was in development before people really began to know about her terrible views. I am sure back then the worst things people had to say was basically "ugh, why does she keep talking about stuff like Dumbledore being gay and never actually show it in the books?"

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #15357 on: February 03, 2023, 04:58:21 AM

Have new things emerged or are her terrible views still that she is a TERF, like many first wave feminists?

Because these are some "Judean Peoples Front vs. the Peoples Front of Judea" shenanigans if there isn't anything more to it.

Nothing a game company could reasonably predict in 2020 would affect game sales.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #15358 on: February 03, 2023, 05:08:55 AM

Have new things emerged or are her terrible views still that she is a TERF, like many first wave feminists?

It’s pretty much just that, she’s just uniquely vocal in her TERFiness, missing no opportunity to remind everyone that each and every every trans woman is a rapist in sheep’s clothing.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15359 on: February 03, 2023, 05:10:34 AM

Because these are some "Judean Peoples Front vs. the Peoples Front of Judea" shenanigans if there isn't anything more to it.

Nothing a game company could reasonably predict in 2020 would affect game sales.

TBH, I don't pay much attention to her. I never saw the newest films and still enjoy the older films in spite of knowing what she is like because of the talent in front of and (usually) behind the camera. I don't know how serious the "goblins are jewish stereotypes" thing is or if she has said anything that reveals she is an anti-Semite. I'm a bit iffy on the goblin thing because, sure, they're bankers with big noses but...they're goblins? I mean...goblins are always greedy and have big noses (and ears). I mean, by that standard are Dwarves from various fantasy novels and games anti-Semitic stereotypes too?

In actual game talk I suspect I'm nearing the end of Death Stranding. I was told that after I drop a body off at a lab my next stop is the city I've spent the whole game trying to reach. I have no idea if I'll have a boss battle against the main antagonist of the game though if I do I have no idea how I'd win since this is clearly not an action game and I don't have any powerful weapons. I suspect it'll be a fight to the death. In a cutscene.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 05:12:32 AM by Riggswolfe »

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #15360 on: February 03, 2023, 07:25:55 AM

I mean, by that standard are Dwarves from various fantasy novels and games anti-Semitic stereotypes too?

Yes.  Our modern idea of dwarves is based on Jewish stereotypes going back to Tolkien.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15361 on: February 03, 2023, 07:40:39 AM

I mean, by that standard are Dwarves from various fantasy novels and games anti-Semitic stereotypes too?

Yes.  Our modern idea of dwarves is based on Jewish stereotypes going back to Tolkien.

I wish I was more surprised but I'm not. Anyway, I have a very large helping of crow to chow down on for making a statement without knowing the facts...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:42:02 AM by Riggswolfe »

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #15362 on: February 03, 2023, 08:59:06 AM

Yes.  Our modern idea of dwarves is based on Jewish stereotypes going back to Tolkien.

It needs to be remembered that Tolkein and his pal C.S. Lewis were not exactly the most progressive thinkers. They were both very very deep into the whole "white anglo-saxon protestants are the chosen people"  mindset. And it is reflected in their works.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #15363 on: February 03, 2023, 09:26:57 AM

My kid doesn't really give a shit about any of the Rowling stuff. I've never seen him this excited to play a game before. I just hope it doesn't suck.

As for me, I'm just slumming it in Valheim. PoE league ended for me as always: I try to make a budget version of some high powered streamer build (cause I'm poor), it ends up sucking complete ass, and in the process I've destroyed all of my currency. WOOO. This league's going on until April. So, at least I get to rest my elbow/arm while I kill it playing tennis.  awesome, for real

Marvel Snap is still fun, if I bit more fun if you're a whale.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 09:29:50 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #15364 on: February 03, 2023, 09:39:45 AM

I refuse to engage with Harry Potter franchise stuff, period (never read the books or watched the movies) so the Rowling drama/game thing is meaningless to me  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I am still playing quite a bit of FFXIV, Horizon: Zero Dawn on the PS5, and I went back and re-started playing FF3 on my phone while I was on vacation (I never got super far after buying it back when it was first released). I downloaded FFVII "remastered" from PS+ last night and started a game. I kinda want to re-visit all the classic Final Fantasy games which may end up with me just hooking up my original Playstation to my TV somehow since it looks like that is going to be the most likely way to be able to replay FFIV and FFVI (if I can track down the playstation re-releases of those) and I own 7,8, and 9 already.

Maybe I will need to buy a used SNES and the cartridges for them O.o

But I may just nope out of this idea lol.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: