Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:15:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172681 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13475 on: August 19, 2019, 08:38:30 AM

I finished up all 4 extant acts of Kentucky Route Zero and have finally started on Planescape: Torment.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13476 on: August 19, 2019, 11:25:15 PM

Apparently a FF8 remaster is coming out on September 3rd.  Was only a month or two ago that I was looking into buying the Steam edition of the old version, but the horrific graphics and other little issues gave me pause.  So this is interesting.  I always really liked this one for some reason, but the drawn out battle animations always soured me.  I don't see a specific fix for this, but they are doing some kind of 3x speed up things, so maybe that will help it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13477 on: August 21, 2019, 03:51:09 PM

I think I'm done with Surviving Mars. It's a decent game, but it gets way too fiddly without a UI that can support that fiddliness. I'm like 200 years into colonies, and I have domes spread out all over, mainly because I need to chase resource deposits. When I want to shift production from one dome that was built solely to exploit this one deposit, I literally have to click on every colonist in the place and manually tell them to move somewhere else or they just sit their either unemployed or employed in a job they don't have the specialization for. And every one of those takes like 3 to 4 clicks to do it. WTF? Other than just destroying a dome, which I suppose I could do, is there not just one button to say "Move all colonists to this dome" and they find appropriate jobs there? Not to mention there doesn't feel like any danger whatsoever. I have had meter storms cause fractures in domes that have sat around leaking forever and no one dies. The few untimely deaths I have had have been to suicide or starvation and even those haven't affected me that much. This was even after I added the Space Race and Green Planet DLC's which do add some nice stuff but also extend the game into the terraforming. I didn't get to that part because the fiddlieness of the UI makes the game start to feel grindy.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #13478 on: August 22, 2019, 04:30:36 AM

Why would you even want to shut down a dome just because it's resource is used up? I use shuttle hubs to service small outlying domes. With enough of them, everybody eats and the factories all get serviced too. I tend to put my factory domes in a central location with lots of automated storages to hold the resources. Factories go in those central domes and I keep the microdomes sitting near deposits letting the shuttles move them to the factories.

Once the deposit runs out I usually tear down a few apartments and put in some more bars and restaurants. The newly homeless will immigrate to somewhere with space and everyone is happy. I suppose if I wanted to empty them out I could turn off "Accepts Colonists." (At mid-game I just have a couple of large domes producing children. That way the population doesnt get out of control and not every dome needs schools and nurseries.

Note: If you can't use shuttle hubs Tunnels are also very helpful for easy travel. And of course linking all of your domes with passageways so they can share facilities is good too.

(If you have outlying domes not getting repaired, it tells me you need more shuttle hubs and each dome needs a universal storage depot so that the shuttles have somewhere to store the repair materials.)

Don't quit before you get to the terraforming. It's so cool when you see the green spreading out over the land.

There's also no harm in installing a mod the get rid of the grindy parts you hate the most. Steam Workshop has loads of them.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13479 on: August 22, 2019, 07:01:51 AM

Modded games, or even just ini or cli configurable games, have really spoiled me. I was looking at the last couple PS4 store sales and several titles reminded me that I like them because I tweak stuff to my liking.

Even 7 Days to Die, which I have an ungodly amount of playtime with, I turn off a few things on the cli (weathersurvival off is a good one to avoid the coat on/off dance, great idea in theory that turns into an unfun chore in reality).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13480 on: August 22, 2019, 08:28:12 AM

Why would you even want to shut down a dome just because it's resource is used up?

Because it serves no other purpose once it's one function was rendered moot? It's just taking up resources, power, oxygen, food, repair. It's connected to the rest of my domes with a passageway, but it's far enough away that the geologists I had moved there to gather metals weren't moving somewhere that they were useful. In some cases, I'd actually manually move one only to watch them go back. Not to mention it's just way too many clicks to do something like that when you have 10+ domes and 300+ colonists.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #13481 on: August 22, 2019, 12:14:44 PM

What about tearing down the housing? Homeless will always emigrate to where there's more space. Also, you get milestone points for successively higher populations. Build the Mohole wonder somewhere central and never worry about metals or rare metals again. The Excavator fills all your concreate needs. And the Artificial Sun generates 1,000 electricity with no workers. Moisture Vaporators and big, big water storage facilities solve your water needs too.

Another good reason to keep some of those unnecessary domes around is to build a Hawking Institute and generate more research points. You can never have too many research points. Some of the breakthrough techs are game changing. By the end of the game you can be living on a Mars with a breathable atmosphere that's fully self supporting whatever population you want to maintain.

If you aren't using Triboelectric scrubbers you should be. Any outside building in range of one stops needing maintenance and your need for polymers and machine parts drop drastically.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13482 on: August 22, 2019, 12:51:43 PM

Never gotten anywhere in any Fire Emblem, but I'm into Three Houses. It's got that Persona level of anime (perhaps a bit less), but got a great blend of story, social exploration, and combat. If you pick this up, do play it on Hard (you can play without perma-death). Otherwise, it's a bit easy if you even pay the smallest amount of attention to the social aspects or attempt to min/max in any fashion.

Chose to go with the Black Eagle house. It's a good cast and it goes to some awfully dark places seemingly out of nowhere. The plot surprises were heavily foreshadowed, but still satisfying. Since I go on a work travel trip to Houston for a couple weeks in September, I may actually get through it all.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13483 on: August 22, 2019, 01:16:11 PM

I decided to finally start playing Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden instead of continuing with Surviving Mars. So far I like it, but holy shit, it is unforgiving. Every combat past the tutorial has required me to do multiple runs at it, some because I had forgotten stuff from the tutorial (I played through that part months ago and only now picked it back up). It just does not fuck about, and it gives you very few resources at the start to mitigate the difficulty (things like grenades and smoke grenades seem to be pretty rare). Still, it's a decent RPG/tactical combat game - it's like if X-Com removed the strategic elements and added a mostly linear RPG to tie the set pieces together.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13484 on: August 22, 2019, 06:19:47 PM

Never gotten anywhere in any Fire Emblem, but I'm into Three Houses. It's got that Persona level of anime (perhaps a bit less), but got a great blend of story, social exploration, and combat. If you pick this up, do play it on Hard (you can play without perma-death). Otherwise, it's a bit easy if you even pay the smallest amount of attention to the social aspects or attempt to min/max in any fashion.

Chose to go with the Black Eagle house. It's a good cast and it goes to some awfully dark places seemingly out of nowhere. The plot surprises were heavily foreshadowed, but still satisfying. Since I go on a work travel trip to Houston for a couple weeks in September, I may actually get through it all.
I was on Hard/Casual, turned it down to Normal/Casual, and regretted it. I have to deliberately hold MC-san back because he's already an overleveled slaughtering machine. I'm also on the Black Eagle route, just got past the time skip and returned to the monastery. The post-time-skip monastery options seem sorely limited compared to before, and even though it makes sense from a lore perspective, I'm missing the earlier options.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13485 on: August 22, 2019, 09:24:52 PM

Why would you even want to shut down a dome just because it's resource is used up?

Because it serves no other purpose once it's one function was rendered moot? It's just taking up resources, power, oxygen, food, repair. It's connected to the rest of my domes with a passageway, but it's far enough away that the geologists I had moved there to gather metals weren't moving somewhere that they were useful. In some cases, I'd actually manually move one only to watch them go back. Not to mention it's just way too many clicks to do something like that when you have 10+ domes and 300+ colonists.

Gotta say, I rarely specify any one colonist to any one job -- I just move housing around and set dome filters and let them sort themselves out.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13486 on: August 22, 2019, 10:52:04 PM

I was on Hard/Casual, turned it down to Normal/Casual, and regretted it. I have to deliberately hold MC-san back because he's already an overleveled slaughtering machine. I'm also on the Black Eagle route, just got past the time skip and returned to the monastery. The post-time-skip monastery options seem sorely limited compared to before, and even though it makes sense from a lore perspective, I'm missing the earlier options.
I finished up Golden Deer on Hard/Classic (not really different from Casual imo, considering the time rewind ability) and spent most of the post-timeskip weeks just resting or doing seminars (after 1 exploration each month, obv)... didn't see much point in grinding battles at that point, and it's not like you can recruit people at that point either.

Overall I think this game has the best systems of any FE game to date (and so many of them!). Even on Hard it is a bit too easy compared to the last game (and WAY easier than Fates:Conquest) due to how powerful most of the player units are, and how broken a few abilities can get... but it was still a really really fun romp. I especially liked the design of paralogue / story maps with side objectives putting some time pressure on the player... with all the tricks for turtling and grinding down a numerically-superior force without too much danger to the characters, forcing offensive play is the way to go in these games imo.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 10:56:54 PM by Zetor »

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13487 on: August 23, 2019, 08:05:16 AM

Age of Wonders is just ok. Pretty bland. Wouldn't recommend it at the moment.

Gonna try Remnant From the Ashes.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13488 on: August 23, 2019, 08:11:17 AM

Gonna try Remnant From the Ashes.

report back, i'm staring at it

i just hate giving money to chinese companies directly
Rasix

Reply #13489 on: August 23, 2019, 08:31:55 AM

I've heard good things and absolutely horrid things.

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13490 on: August 23, 2019, 09:26:16 AM

Watched Cowboy play it and it looked boring as fuck.

Also, if you're in it for the multiplayer, the final boss is broken.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #13491 on: August 23, 2019, 03:27:52 PM

Apparently a FF8 remaster is coming out on September 3rd.  Was only a month or two ago that I was looking into buying the Steam edition of the old version, but the horrific graphics and other little issues gave me pause.  So this is interesting.  I always really liked this one for some reason, but the drawn out battle animations always soured me.  I don't see a specific fix for this, but they are doing some kind of 3x speed up things, so maybe that will help it.
Supposedly the Remaster will practically include a gameshark with the game.   

Among the included list of "Bonus features" are: 
- Battle Assist: The ability to always have maxed out HP and ATB, and trigger Limit Breaks at any time.
- No Encounters: An enemy encounter option that allows players to enjoy the storyline uninterrupted. While enemy encounters are turned off, players can still enjoy the story’s event battles.
- 3x Speed Boost: Play through the game with three times the speed.
- The Steam version will also receive additional functions, including All Items (possess all items except for a few certain items), All Abilities, GF Max Level, Max Gil, Max Magic, All Limit Breaks, and All Cards (possess max number of Triple Triad Cards except for Rare Cards).

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13492 on: August 23, 2019, 09:55:57 PM

According to Jim Sterling's First Impressions video, Remnant is "piss easy" on solo mode, but absolutely, brokenly difficult in multiplayer, as well as being boring and unimaginative.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13493 on: August 24, 2019, 02:22:31 AM

If you're wanting a different souls like, Surge 2 is looking pretty fucking swanky.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13494 on: August 24, 2019, 09:11:14 AM

Kinda unimpressed with Remnant. Visually dull, none of the flavor of a Souls game. Will give it a bit more--trying to play it in coop with my kid when she's got time.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13495 on: August 24, 2019, 11:42:37 AM

Picked up a PS4 Pro. Store runs properly now. I didn't want the full backup to take six hours so I deleted every game except FFXIV and P.T. beforehand. Now I'm re-downloading a different assortment, including The Deadly Tower of Monsters. I forgot how funny this game is.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13496 on: August 25, 2019, 03:58:31 AM

Supposedly the Remaster will practically include a gameshark with the game.   

Among the included list of "Bonus features" are: 
- Battle Assist: The ability to always have maxed out HP and ATB, and trigger Limit Breaks at any time.
- No Encounters: An enemy encounter option that allows players to enjoy the storyline uninterrupted. While enemy encounters are turned off, players can still enjoy the story’s event battles.
- 3x Speed Boost: Play through the game with three times the speed.
- The Steam version will also receive additional functions, including All Items (possess all items except for a few certain items), All Abilities, GF Max Level, Max Gil, Max Magic, All Limit Breaks, and All Cards (possess max number of Triple Triad Cards except for Rare Cards).

I am assuming all that can be toggled on/off, so no big deal.  The thing that has me worried is I don’t see a “skip the extremely long and drawn out summoning animations”.  That is the sole reason I never finished this game, or even made it more than a couple hours in subsequent attempts.  Surely it’s gotta be there somewhere?  Maybe the speed boost will be enough, assuming I even want it enabled in the first place.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13497 on: August 25, 2019, 07:15:10 AM

I finished up all 4 extant acts of Kentucky Route Zero and have finally started on Planescape: Torment.

Ah so Act 5 still not out? I decided to not ever touch this game until it's complete, but I thought it would be by now. No, eh?

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #13498 on: August 25, 2019, 07:51:55 AM

I'm in the same position, stopped after Act 1 to wait for it to finish. I think Act 5 is supposed to be released this year?

Re: FF8 - I remember playing it with an emulator was a god-send just for the ability to speed things up, whether it's summoning animations, grinding or just plain old boring travel.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13499 on: August 26, 2019, 06:37:59 AM

(FF8) Yeah, but you could use those overly long animations to boost the power of your summons!  Although it took me about 30-40 hours into the game to realize that.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #13500 on: August 26, 2019, 10:39:43 AM

AOW Planetfall is certainly scratching a 4X itch I didn't even know I had.

I am the .00000001428%
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13501 on: August 26, 2019, 01:37:35 PM

Finally got everything (just some things) downloaded on the new PS4 Pro. Inquisitor: Martyr loads in less than 1/4 of the time it did on the old white PS4. New controller is pretty nice, too.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #13502 on: August 26, 2019, 10:05:38 PM

AOW Planetfall really looks interesting. I loved the early AOWs but the previous one just seemed bland for some reason and never gripped me. Planetfall is working better then?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13503 on: August 27, 2019, 04:36:52 AM

(FF8) Yeah, but you could use those overly long animations to boost the power of your summons!  Although it took me about 30-40 hours into the game to realize that.

wut

Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #13504 on: August 27, 2019, 06:54:46 AM

If you've never taught your GFs boost it's probably an easy oversight.
Rasix

Reply #13505 on: August 27, 2019, 09:17:14 AM

Beat Fire Emblem. Good Switch games are evil. I'm not sure how I managed to power through 45 hours worth so quickly, but I did. Last fight is hilariously difficult compared to the rest of the game. I was not set up for it well, as my squad was fairly low mobility. I think Black Eagle is more geared toward infantry, which has difficulty with some of the particulars of that encounter. Still, excellent game and the First Emblem that has drawn me in. Others I'd put down after a few hours in.

Since I'll be traveling, I'll probably start up a new play through (NG+), but try on a harder difficulty and see how the Golden Deer side of the story plays out.

-Rasix
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13506 on: August 27, 2019, 10:54:23 AM

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13507 on: August 28, 2019, 03:59:26 AM

wut

Teach each summon the Boost ability, then I believe you needed to hold select during their attack animation and you could mash the square button to boost their strength.  They even made a little minigame out of it where sometimes an X appeared over the square icon and you had to stop mashing for a few seconds or the boost would restart from 0.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13508 on: August 28, 2019, 04:06:07 AM

Huh.  Well, nice I guess.  I do sorta recall seeing some kind of "boost" option, and thinking "meh, I don't understand, so skip it".

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13509 on: August 28, 2019, 07:58:09 AM

I finally got frustrated with Mutant Year Zero and quit. It's a decent game but the difficulty level is crazy high (even on normal) and it wasn't what I wanted. I expected an RPG with tactical X-Com style combat. What I got was instead a highly punitive stealth assassination game with X-Com like combat. If you don't sneak around the map and pick off guys one by one, you will get swamped and absolutely ROFLSTOMPED by waves of enemies. Save scumming is mandatory (unless you play on Ironman mode, at which point, GOOD LUCK). If you don't mind the difficulty curve, it's a decent game but I just got frustrated by it.

I decided to finally play Dishonored instead. I'm liking it so far, though I have to get used to the fact that it's more Assassin's Creed than Thief.

Pages: 1 ... 384 385 [386] 387 388 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: