Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:51:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172670 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #13370 on: July 05, 2019, 06:12:45 AM

It is part of the whole sunk cost fallacy. People think they are losing out on the time they “invested” if they walk away.

I noticed in Tera how fast leveling has become, even after you leave the “noob island”. I think that is a consequence of the F2P thing where cosmetics and a few QoL items appear to be the only thing that makes the devs money. In the subscription MMO model, you wanted the journey to take longer because it meant more sub money.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13371 on: July 05, 2019, 08:46:26 AM

That can easily be remedied by stopping to play at max level and move on to the next game, though. If the journey was worth it, then there is no harm done. I never understand that "The same game has to entertain me for years or it is a flop" mentality.

You are right, and that's what I do. If you do it at the right time you also carry away with you some lingering feeling that "you should come back at some point", except you shouldn't but at least the memories are good.

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #13372 on: July 05, 2019, 05:21:05 PM

I never understand that "The same game has to entertain me for years or it is a flop" mentality.

It's in the nature of the beast I think. A "good" MMORPG invites/compels you to live in it's world.  Identify with your character.  Invest not just time but emotional and intellectual energy. And even build social connections with other RL human beings around it.  It also programs you to expect to continue to get "better" or at least more powerful.  So when the ride ends (max level, no more content), or the fundamental game changes so the things you enjoy are no longer available (end game, NGE, nerf patch, etc.) you feel like you've put (and lost) a lot more than the dollars into it, and it has betrayed/abandoned you. 

*shrug* It's not entirely rational, but it is very human.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13373 on: July 06, 2019, 09:53:55 AM

That's why I was always saying something like Planetside was a better mmo: more about the gameplay and action than leveling (which in some ways made the game worse, actually).

Content-based level progression games by nature reach an end point. I'm kind of amazed there are even still mmoe's around.

That's why I like stuff like Civ (more board gamey) and especially Madden/Rocksmith, basically years of "content" because repeating it is fun and the very nature of the game.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13374 on: July 06, 2019, 12:23:49 PM

Finished Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter after about 47 hours.  That’s like 180 hours for the trilogy.  I have never powered through something contiguous like that with such vigor.  And turned right around and bought Cold Steel.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #13375 on: July 06, 2019, 01:07:00 PM

So I like the gameplay of Tera for the most part. But the rescaling of XP they did at some point to make leveling easier (assuming for alts or people joining others) is a bit too fast for people new to the game who actually want to play through at least some of the stuff. The dungeon finder thing works well, but you get into these groups and no one even says hi, and they just take off and blaze through. It is nice for XP (get about 2-3 levels per dungeon) and it is the way to get materials/some good items but you basically can't do the dungeons when you have the quests because you are way over-leveling the quests. It is nice that once you get 6-8 levels above a dungeon, you can solo it to do the group required quests if necessary.

There is a surprisingly healthy number of people, I have had no problem getting a dungeon group through the finder within 5 minutes at pretty much any time of day.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13376 on: July 06, 2019, 04:09:33 PM

TERA was a blast the last time I played it, probably 4 years ago at this point. My only complaint back then was a gap in available dungeons in terms of level range, so you couldn't level exclusively that way. Plus the standard KMMO RNG enchanting problem, of course.

Finished Trails in the Sky 3rd Chapter after about 47 hours.  That’s like 180 hours for the trilogy.  I have never powered through something contiguous like that with such vigor.  And turned right around and bought Cold Steel.
Does Trails in the Sky end after the 3rd chapter? I kinda stalled out on Cold Steel 1 (haven't started Sky) when I heard that there was a 4th game with no US release date yet.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13377 on: July 08, 2019, 12:26:02 AM

It actually ends in a way after the Second Chapter.  The third is all about a related event that spawns from the main story of the first two.  It is structured completely differently.  I don't know yet how any of it bridges into Cold Steel, but I get the feeling that you can entirely skip the Third Chapter in Trails of Sky. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13378 on: July 08, 2019, 03:41:19 AM

Cold Steel is having the third chapter released in the West in a few months, and you can be assured the fourth chapter will be imported too. Also, the porting of the first two I have is stellar. Dual audio, save everywhere, turbo mode... everything you need to enjoy a classic JRPG in full.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13379 on: July 08, 2019, 03:46:18 AM

Yeah, after 3 hours into Cold Steel, this is an excellent port for sure.  Zero issues, much better than the Sky series.  And looks really crisp and buttery smooth in 4k.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13380 on: July 08, 2019, 07:10:19 AM

TERA had really good combat, but the combat from Black Desert was even better. I'd suggest playing that but ignore 50% of the content. BDO has the best combat (imo) of any MMO ever.

Too bad the game is a mess.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13381 on: July 08, 2019, 07:48:40 AM

Black Desert also keeps getting better and better. They just added the umpteenth new class a few days ago, and the world size is immense now with I don't know how many areas. They also revamped the marketplace which makes it easier to get super high level gear as long as you can earn the money for it. Previously, you were forced to gamble forever with the enchantment roulette or the marketplace roulette.

It's its own thing Black Desert, incredibly confusing due to itse uniqueness, but so sweet if you can get into it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13382 on: July 08, 2019, 09:14:57 AM

The rotation at the moment is The Sinking City, Bloodstained, and Borderlands 2 - Handsome Collection. I have a plain PS4 so I haven't been able to check out the super-duper version for the PS4 Pro.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13383 on: July 08, 2019, 10:10:37 AM

Black Desert also keeps getting better and better. They just added the umpteenth new class a few days ago, and the world size is immense now with I don't know how many areas. They also revamped the marketplace which makes it easier to get super high level gear as long as you can earn the money for it. Previously, you were forced to gamble forever with the enchantment roulette or the marketplace roulette.

It's its own thing Black Desert, incredibly confusing due to itse uniqueness, but so sweet if you can get into it.

Looks like a child class with a boomerang.

I think I'd come back to try the game out again with another magic-like class like the witch/wizard.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13384 on: July 08, 2019, 10:59:31 AM

It's a shitty child with a boomerang, yes. Their perk is that they start with some bonus ranks in the crafting professions. Also their combat animation and all look like fun but I can't bring myself to play a fucking child with a boomerang.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13385 on: July 08, 2019, 11:09:51 AM

I liked the combat in TERA better than BDO; mobs in general seem much weaker in BDO so the TTK feels trivial. I spent more time running from pack to pack than I actually did fighting things. Difficulty scaling was kind of all over the place too; either you killed 20 mobs all in a single combo, or you missed and died very quickly. The biggest reason I quit BDO the most recent time was that they removed their battle royale mode; there were a lot of people exploiting it, but it was still the best PVP in the game by far because it was a level playing field. If they ever patch it back in, I might come back.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13386 on: July 08, 2019, 11:16:12 AM

I'm back in 7 Days for a bit. Pro-tip for folks who like to return for every 'alpha' patch (or newbs, I noticed someone bought it on Steam recently): this build plays well as a scav, the usual tower defense style gameplay is on the back burner due to overpowered mob str vs blocks (which can be fixed via ini).

Luckily, I was already playing scav style this time because of the sheer amount of new POIs built out as mini dungeons and the trader quest system. Really nice combination and refreshing to play completely differently despite having played, I dunno, 7 alpha builds now? And the promise of the quest system is subtle, since it looks like it's iterated on the old sleeper system that became a trigger system (on top of the modified sleepers) that became a trigger to load a POI config.

For instance, I got a quest to clear/fetch at a POI within my previously-scavved area. After you accept the quest, it gives you a giant dopey ! in the world. Interact with it and you can see some subtle resetting of items/spawns in the POI. The flexibility of the xml system and scaling meshes well. It's nice to see how all these systems have grown and changed over the years.

Oh yeah, new vehicles, too. Still pretty wonky, but I expect this title will always be wonky to some degree. But they're fun and very useful, especially with quests sending you kilometers away at times.

I think they're pretty close to a final product. If they just tweak and balance to support the various playstyles that have dominated each alpha, it would be a miracle but also really awesome.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13387 on: July 08, 2019, 12:51:10 PM

I got Slay the Spire during the Steam sale.  So that's what's happening now.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #13388 on: July 08, 2019, 02:09:14 PM

Ni No Kuni II on PS4.  It's a JRPG, with kingdom management too.

Fun enough so far.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13389 on: July 08, 2019, 03:37:39 PM

And a minimalistic Total War-style RTS thrown in for good measure.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13390 on: July 08, 2019, 03:40:24 PM

instant turnoff, cool, can ignore
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13391 on: July 08, 2019, 03:50:23 PM

Anyone knows if Neoverse is any good? It's supposed to be like Slay the Spire with anime girls and 3D graphics, but the ratings are very positive.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13392 on: July 08, 2019, 03:59:06 PM

Anyone knows if Neoverse is any good? It's supposed to be like Slay the Spire with anime girls and 3D graphics, but the ratings are very positive.
No idea but I bought it based on Slay the Spire + anime because it was $11.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13393 on: July 08, 2019, 04:26:25 PM

This is the tutorial for the army battles for those wondering what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0EQaPZp3_g

schild
Administrator

Reply #13394 on: July 08, 2019, 04:51:03 PM

nope nope nope
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #13395 on: July 09, 2019, 08:40:16 AM

Ehhh, it's not really that bad.  It has a weapons triangle, and you have to kind of work at it to actually lose if you fight at the recommended army level.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13396 on: July 15, 2019, 07:54:49 AM

Decided to give Generation Zero a whirl. Something about it kept nagging me, it looks like a Simon Stålenhag painting come to life (and I'm not the only one there). And I have a high tolerance for eurojank if they get immersion and exploration right.

Initial impressions, played an hour or two:

It does give off a strong SS vibe, so I'm happy. Good immersion, sound design is really strong and positional audio is on point. Turn off music, the subtle robotic purrs and coos get lost in it. I don't care for electronic music, but this score is really well mixed for headphones, so I'm (almost) bummed to zero out the music slider.

I'm getting notes of Horizon Zero Dawn, hiding in shrubs fighting robots. There ends my comparison, as HZD is superior in almost every way. But it is a strong likeness in that aspect. Also a bit of Far Cry 5, in that POIs can be a bit of a puzzle to figure out.

Even right off the bat, the game rewarded me poking around with a couple flares and a propane tank...I was able to sneak into a POI after watching the guard paths, place the tank in a spot they all converged, and lit them up from my hiding spot. Nice!

Exploration seems good but limited, and not necessarily in a bad way.  I'm also playing 7 Days and the new POIs are so well laid out as mini-dungeons, I'm a bit biased. But also, having all buildings explorable can be a negative, so I don't mind having it more limited in GZ. Weapons, ammo, attachments, and what looks like TONS of customization and clothing options, many of which feature some gameplay effect.

The game doesn't mind killing you to death as you learn. I'm not seeing much in the way death penalty, which makes me happy because I find them to be a shitty mechanism in general. Die, respawn at safe house, try again. So what could've been a frustrating introduction turned into me just relaxing and exploring the countryside and taking a much more tactical approach to the situations.

I'm looking forward to spending some more time in the cold, rainy woods stalking robots. I'm a ho for atmospheric open worlds.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13397 on: July 15, 2019, 08:52:44 AM

This is something I have been very interested in for a while and I still am. Thanks for the writeup. The only reason I am waiting on it is because I get the distinct feeling that it's one of those projects where the longer I can wait and the better it will be.

Also, a question: Is it more an infinite sandbox like 7 days to die or is there a story with a beginning and end?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13398 on: July 15, 2019, 09:36:03 AM

Too early to tell. I'm super slow in these games, spend a lot of time just enjoying the vibe. I was stalking a couple dogbots (what I call em) that had taken me out earlier on the road. I decided to sneak up a path and approach them from the woods. It was nearing dusk and started to rain. The sound design is SO GOOD, the rolling thunder and rain patter was on point, combined with the environmental effects and overall design...just nailed the feeling of the scene (Apparently their woods are very similar to the Adirondacks). Then layer in the game part, trying to outflank the robots, hearing their little digital blerps and boops as they scan around and talk to each other.

I think Mr Noisy has done the co-op. I can see that being a lot of fun, but also taking away a lot of the immersion that I enjoy it for.

Anyway, I'd say overall it's not as open-ended as 7 Days, which is built as an open-ended builder. No building, doubtful there are mechanisms like the escalating hordes for tower defense, etc.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13399 on: July 17, 2019, 06:30:41 PM

I decided to see if the Gathering Storm DLC improved the diplomacy in Civ VI appreciably.

Answer: not really. A bit, I guess. But the NPCs still do incomprehensible shit and they do it a lot, e.g., it's still a major part of the gameplay. Like, Teddy Roosevelt suddenly getting pissed at me in the early Industrial Era about trying to go to the moon. What?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13400 on: July 18, 2019, 08:09:44 AM

Fucking Teddy. :)

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13401 on: July 18, 2019, 08:15:09 AM

Civ VI is just trying to model modern American politics and leadership.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13402 on: July 21, 2019, 08:09:14 AM

I've really been digging Generation Zero but found a flaw that's killing it for me. Mobs respawn, loot doesn't. So as I play the game, I'm slowly running out of ammo.

Kinda bummed about it, because it's otherwise a really strong game (for me). The graphics and sound come together really nicely and the gameplay gets it done.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #13403 on: July 29, 2019, 05:56:45 PM

I've really been digging Generation Zero but found a flaw that's killing it for me. Mobs respawn, loot doesn't. So as I play the game, I'm slowly running out of ammo.

Kinda bummed about it, because it's otherwise a really strong game (for me). The graphics and sound come together really nicely and the gameplay gets it done.

I've enjoyed the time I played it co-op.  The trick is to never backtrack - just keep plowing ahead.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #13404 on: July 30, 2019, 10:28:25 AM

Funnily enough, playing Skyrim. I had bought it and all the DLC at some point, but never got around to properly trying it out. It's funny wanting to talk a lot about a game that everybody else finished with years ago.

It's a tough game for someone with my sense of completionism. Hard to walk past a dungeon without clearing it, which is making for very slow quest completion.

Some thoughts -
  • For a 2011 game, it really holds up well. Using the static mesh improvement mod, it looks gorgeous on a 4k display. The animations are at times janky, particularly with characters skating over the ground, and facial animations are often off. But over all, really good.
  • Relatedly, I'm very impressed with what the modding community has done. I've kept things fairly vanilla so far, but it's unbelievable the effort that has gone into totally reworking the graphics, AI and gameplay.
  • I'd been hoping to play on my TV using my Apple TV's Steam Link app. Surprisingly, Skyrim doesn't fully support "big picture" mode. Once you're in the game, you can use the controller. But you can't launch the game without a mouse/keyboard. I dare say there are workarounds, but I figured that by now, they'd have patched in proper big picture support.

In my next post, no doubt I'll be telling you about how much I enjoy Tetris.
Pages: 1 ... 381 382 [383] 384 385 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: