Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172690 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13230 on: April 01, 2019, 05:15:10 AM

Played around a bit with Destiny 2 finally.  It's not a bad game, but man, as someone trying to wade through their gigantic backlog, I am getting really annoyed at how terrible 99% of all game tutorials are.  It's just amazing how often you are forced to sit through information you already know or don't need, while information you DO need to know is just kind of brushed over or not mentioned at all.  It's like it's specifically designed to be as unhelpful as possible.  Are we really still THAT BAD at this?

Like, Destiny 2, for example.  The first Destiny never came out on PC, so if you're grabbing the PC version, you'd think maybe there'd be some expectation that you never played the first game, so they'd explain the setting or something.  They don't really do that.  All the backstory you get is this two minute video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXDmX5rJC8E which basically says "this big ball thing came to Earth and it was pretty great but a bunch of aliens wanted it and you'll have to fight them" which might work if that was all the relevant info, but, of course, it's not.  The game starts in medias res (I am seriously starting to hate when devs do this) with explosions and combat and characters you don't know screaming terms you don't know while you have to fight with abilities you don't know so you can lose them all in five minutes... so that when you gain them all back ten minutes later it'll feel like "progress."

Basically:
*explosions, fire*
Guy 1: "Guardians! Get to the command ship, I'll defend the last city!  That's apparently a place that exists!"
HUD: BLUE CUBES +3
Guy 2: "A ghost is telling me these guys are Red Legion, but that can't be!  For some reason!"
Guy1: "Move, move, move!!!"
HUD: ATTENTION AN UNLABELED STATUS BAR IS MOVING TO THE RIGHT BEEB BWOOOOOP
Girl 1: "They're putting a device on the traveler!  I'll get to the speaker!"
Guy 2: "HURRY EVERYONE IS DYING"
HUD: MEGA BURST READY
Robot: "It's blocking the light!  I'm losing all my traveler powers, like the ability to de-entangle all your equipment slotted phase nodes!"
*player is automatically beaten up in cheesy cinematic*
Villain guy presumably: "I bet you weren't expecting ME!  I've captured this other guy now, you have no chance!"
Other guy: "I blame you for this failure!"
*cinematic of bird and triangle doing weird prophecy stuff*

----TUTORIAL-----
Press W to move forward!
Me: I KNOW MY FUCKING KEYBINDS ASSHOLES WTF WAS ANY OF THE REST OF THAT

Nice  awesome, for real

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #13231 on: April 01, 2019, 08:47:56 AM

Played around a bit with Destiny 2 finally.  It's not a bad game, but man, as someone trying to wade through their gigantic backlog, I am getting really annoyed at how terrible 99% of all game tutorials are.  It's just amazing how often you are forced to sit through information you already know or don't need, while information you DO need to know is just kind of brushed over or not mentioned at all.  It's like it's specifically designed to be as unhelpful as possible.  Are we really still THAT BAD at this?

Like, Destiny 2, for example.  The first Destiny never came out on PC, so if you're grabbing the PC version, you'd think maybe there'd be some expectation that you never played the first game, so they'd explain the setting or something.  They don't really do that.  All the backstory you get is this two minute video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXDmX5rJC8E which basically says "this big ball thing came to Earth and it was pretty great but a bunch of aliens wanted it and you'll have to fight them" which might work if that was all the relevant info, but, of course, it's not.  The game starts in medias res (I am seriously starting to hate when devs do this) with explosions and combat and characters you don't know screaming terms you don't know while you have to fight with abilities you don't know so you can lose them all in five minutes... so that when you gain them all back ten minutes later it'll feel like "progress."

Basically:
*explosions, fire*
Guy 1: "Guardians! Get to the command ship, I'll defend the last city!  That's apparently a place that exists!"
HUD: BLUE CUBES +3
Guy 2: "A ghost is telling me these guys are Red Legion, but that can't be!  For some reason!"
Guy1: "Move, move, move!!!"
HUD: ATTENTION AN UNLABELED STATUS BAR IS MOVING TO THE RIGHT BEEB BWOOOOOP
Girl 1: "They're putting a device on the traveler!  I'll get to the speaker!"
Guy 2: "HURRY EVERYONE IS DYING"
HUD: MEGA BURST READY
Robot: "It's blocking the light!  I'm losing all my traveler powers, like the ability to de-entangle all your equipment slotted phase nodes!"
*player is automatically beaten up in cheesy cinematic*
Villain guy presumably: "I bet you weren't expecting ME!  I've captured this other guy now, you have no chance!"
Other guy: "I blame you for this failure!"
*cinematic of bird and triangle doing weird prophecy stuff*

----TUTORIAL-----
Press W to move forward!
Me: I KNOW MY FUCKING KEYBINDS ASSHOLES WTF WAS ANY OF THE REST OF THAT

Nice  awesome, for real

More of these.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13232 on: April 01, 2019, 09:29:47 AM

Like, Destiny 2, for example.  The first Destiny never came out on PC, so if you're grabbing the PC version, you'd think maybe there'd be some expectation that you never played the first game, so they'd explain the setting or something.  They don't really do that.  

To be fair to Destiny 2, the first Destiny didn't explain shit worth a good goddamn either. I played it about 10 hours on the PS4 and I still went into missions not knowing what bobbin I was supposed to be 'sploding.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13233 on: April 04, 2019, 01:53:53 PM

"I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain!"

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #13234 on: April 07, 2019, 10:00:16 AM

Finally made the jump on Subnautica as it was on sale this weekend. I don't have a clue what I'm doing but damn its fun. Its really good about moving you along without giving you any tutorials at all, and its beautiful as hell.

So nice to be in a somewhat well crafted experience.

Hic sunt dracones.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13235 on: April 07, 2019, 10:18:04 AM

I absolutely loved Subnautica and practically lived in that game for weeks, then something happened that shot my immersion right to hell and I bogged down and never made it to the end.

I should probably go bitch about it in the actual Subnautica thread as to not give spoilers, and it is quite possible that what pissed me off will not even be a thing to you...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13236 on: April 08, 2019, 01:00:37 PM

Good to hear. I'm torn between starting Stoneblock 2 or Project Ozone 3. PO3 (even on normal) certainly seems more dickpunchy, and they've opted for some sort of quest currency instead of random loot to mixed results. SB2 on the other hand is being described as more of an incremental upgrade to SB rather than a major new version, which has me hesitant.
Went back to Stoneblock 2. I was actually digging my skyland world in PO3, but the (I'm guessing here) Abyssalcraft demon animal screeches were driving me insane. I may try it again without that mod, or see if something is exposed in the config file that's not in the in-game config (to remove the screeching). Loud blood-curdling screams every 30 seconds or so? Why?
And now I'm torn between gutting Abyssalcraft from PO3 (and hoping it doesn't bork the pack somewhere) on the one hand; and adding refined storage and journeymap (deleting the janky minimap in SB2, though I'll probably leave AE2 so I don't bork something somewhere else).

AE2 is one of my favorite mods, but not worrying about all the dickpunchy stuff the original author fucking loved is just amazing.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13237 on: April 15, 2019, 07:53:16 AM

So I finished my 7th season coaching the Browns , which was my 1st turning off the AI control of trades and salaries and whatnot. Survived my first draft (only got two of the players I wanted, but I've won multiple superbowls, soo...also didn't help that I used to give up picks for trades in season 6 when I first started manually filling some holes the AI created). Nice to have the team starting to really gel with players in the right positions to support the way I like to call and run plays.

My main issue was that my top players kept losing their xp buffs (Star/Superstar) because of the way the game sets that against other players stats in the league and the AI uses longer quarters to sim, so ai players rack up more stats in general...so I've begun editing star players with some roleplaying caveats (I'll let older players slide down naturally, I just boosted the rookie HB that ran for 4 TDs in his 1st pre-season game from Quick to Star, etc).

Madden is still a wonky, quirky version of football, but for some reason it really clicked with me this year.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #13238 on: April 17, 2019, 08:32:11 AM

Picross S3 is out on the 25th so i know what I’ll be doing next week.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13239 on: April 17, 2019, 08:32:44 AM

Picross S3 is out on the 25th so i know what I’ll be doing next week.

oh shit
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13240 on: April 18, 2019, 12:32:09 PM

FML I started playing Farm Sim 19 on PS4 and actually enjoying the shit out of it. I am exploring therapy, but every place is booked up.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13241 on: April 18, 2019, 12:49:40 PM

The only reason I stopped playing Farm Sim 17 was a bit of motion sickness while driving the trucks to town. I was digging it otherwise.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13242 on: April 18, 2019, 12:55:23 PM

old people
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13243 on: April 18, 2019, 01:14:35 PM

Beats the alternative  why so serious?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13244 on: April 18, 2019, 03:46:51 PM

I'm back playing...*alt-tabs to the game to double check his sanity. Failed *

Everquest 2.

<=== Old Senile Man

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13245 on: April 18, 2019, 04:04:54 PM

A couple of weeks ago I considered relaunching EverQuest 1. I didn't simply because I read people don't group up anymore since everyone has minions now.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13246 on: April 18, 2019, 04:13:39 PM

Every now and again I get the urge to roll up a human monk and hang out in the karanas with a spider eye.

The last time I followed up that urge, I played on Project 1999. It was slow af, I guess having a life and not smoking weed makes EQ a lot less interesting.

(That said, I'd probably play a little if there were an offline single player version, to be honest)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #13247 on: April 18, 2019, 04:14:23 PM

Several years ago I logged back into EQ1 to check out my old rogue...it was entirely unplayable, and I had no idea WTF I was doing.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #13248 on: April 18, 2019, 08:18:00 PM

I'm rolling along on finishing games I started but got distracted from. So I just finished Soma. Really good thoughtful story, I could have done without the Monsters wandering about as I felt they were pretty much a distraction from the protagonists story. PLUS its fucking annoying having to avoid the things without looking at them to figure out where the hell they are.

Aside from that, I can recommend it as a good bit of old fashioned Sci-Fi asking questions about conciousness and being.

Hic sunt dracones.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13249 on: April 22, 2019, 01:26:51 PM

I've been playing the Torchlight Frontiers alpha.  For an MMO, it feels very lonely.  I only started last week but since then I've seen only about 5 or 6 players that seem to be actually playing.  They're introducing the Railmaster class next.  It sounds totally insane!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13250 on: April 22, 2019, 01:43:20 PM

I'd play if I were in it. Heh.
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13251 on: April 22, 2019, 10:15:58 PM

I was playing City of Heroes last weekend, but then 4chan happened to the server or something
« Last Edit: April 22, 2019, 10:20:33 PM by Zetor »

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13252 on: April 23, 2019, 12:36:38 AM

The only reason I stopped playing Farm Sim 17 was a bit of motion sickness while driving the trucks to town. I was digging it otherwise.

PSA because I know you have expressed moderate interest in VR stuff:  It probably isn't for you if you can get motion sickness from flat screen gaming.  Don't mean this as a dig, VR motion sickness can be profound and takes some serious getting used to.  Of course now I am wondering how you ever managed the Nvidia 3D stuff  Head scratch

Currently playing several games simultaneously.  Getting towards the end of Trails in the Sky #2 I think.  Close to the 50 hour mark.  I just love this series.

Vampire the Masquerade - thinking I am getting fairly close to the end?  Not sure how long it is.  Made it to the Giovanni mansion, and got my ass handed to me.  Not sure what to do here.  Sewers were not nearly as bad as some of you were making out, but that may be because I am both a stealth and brawling powerhouse.

And....just for grins I re-installed GTA 5 after many years.  After having to get my account back from some Russian asshole (wtf Rockstar?  Second time it has happened).  I wanted to see if I could run it in 4K.  Turns out I can, and at max settings more or less.  It looks glorious.  I still think this game is a masterpiece, maybe top to bottom the most impressive game ever created.  I get (sorta) why some people don't think it is fun, or are offended by this and that, but damn.  Anyway, it has sucked me in a little, so I will probably keep playing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13253 on: April 23, 2019, 06:47:41 AM

Of course now I am wondering how you ever managed the Nvidia 3D stuff  Head scratch
Small doses. I was getting used to it, slowly, though. There's probably some fov setting or something in the farm sim that I could tweak to help out. I think part of it is that the scale seems fine on the farm but seems wonky af once you go to town. That's the only place I had an issue, but it may have been that I had been playing for a long time and it finally caught up with me.

Though I wonder if I'll ever play minecraft in VR, because my 970 can't run it smoothly at 1080p right now (with mods, texturepack and shaders). I imagine it would catch fire if I tried running at a (next gen, high res) VR res with ray tracing (because RT has elevated the game, check out the video I posted in useless gaming news).
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13254 on: April 23, 2019, 09:06:03 AM

There is one notable from the current gaming going on in my house.

Joker was inexplicably added to Smash Ultimate, and after a (short) lifetime of dedication to Nintendo properties my son is playing Persona 5. He has been heard saying it is awesome.

I lacked internet for five days and simply played more Last Remnant. Otherwise it's FC New Dawn or Path of Exile, but that will change soon.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13255 on: April 23, 2019, 09:32:16 AM

Of course now I am wondering how you ever managed the Nvidia 3D stuff  Head scratch
Small doses. I was getting used to it, slowly, though. There's probably some fov setting or something in the farm sim that I could tweak to help out. I think part of it is that the scale seems fine on the farm but seems wonky af once you go to town. That's the only place I had an issue, but it may have been that I had been playing for a long time and it finally caught up with me.

Though I wonder if I'll ever play minecraft in VR, because my 970 can't run it smoothly at 1080p right now (with mods, texturepack and shaders). I imagine it would catch fire if I tried running at a (next gen, high res) VR res with ray tracing (because RT has elevated the game, check out the video I posted in useless gaming news).

970 does Vivecraft just fine, but only tried that with vanilla plus a texture pack or two.  It probably would collapse under a bunch of other mods.  OTOH, you would not play it for the same reason as you currently play Minecraft, so it may not matter.  Vanilla Vivecraft is fucking glorious, just digging holes in the ground, building little castles, and then jumping off the towers.  A one meter cubed block is a one meter cubed block, and there it is right in front of you.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13256 on: April 23, 2019, 12:01:23 PM

Seriously, watch this and imagine it in VR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jD0mELZPD8 (edited to add: it takes them a few minutes of jibba jabba before they get into the demo)

Now imagine it with at least a 64x texture pack and more interesting things to build/do.

I'd keep a pack of dramamine and a puke bucket next to the sofa if I could run all that on a highres headset!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13257 on: April 23, 2019, 12:12:25 PM

I tried PSVR for like 5 minutes and had to rip it off because I felt like I was going to vomit. I could feel the bile starting to make a run for it.

Of course, this is from the person that couldn't finishing Half Life 1 or 2 due to motion sickness. Yay.

-Rasix
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13258 on: April 23, 2019, 10:51:20 PM

Yeah, that looks amazing.  I am half tempted to see if it can be done in VR, but sounds like that guy with the 2080Ti is already pushing the boundaries, so I guess that's a big fat NO.

Regarding motion sickness, there is a bunch of stuff that doesn't really cause it at all in VR.  It is really first-person and other fast moving stuff that will cause it, and some of those have teleport movement built in to combat that.  And there are other technologies that work that you can overlay (using your own head-bob and arm movements?), but since I don't have a problem with first-person movement anymore, I haven't been force to look at them.

And PSVR is probably not the best measure for how bad your motion sickness would be, but I am not 100% certain about that.  I think it only runs at 60fps per eye, which is less than ideal for exactly this issue.  I might be wrong.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #13259 on: April 28, 2019, 05:04:01 PM

I've been playing BG EE again somehow.
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #13260 on: April 29, 2019, 01:27:29 AM

Back into playing City of Heroes, since the server for it (including the never published final update with a new tanky blaster class) was leaked.

It works perfectly and is just as much fun as I remember. I missed that game so damn much. Heart
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13261 on: April 29, 2019, 05:09:37 AM

Does it actually run well? I joined the Discord for the new server(s) but hadn't made a character because they kept posting in #announcements about lag, crashes, reboots, etc. and I didn't want to deal with a buggy ghost of a memory.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #13262 on: April 29, 2019, 06:49:50 AM

Due to the public servers having massive queues I mostly used a local install for soloing. That one hasnt crashed once, but it might be different if there are 2000 people on. Obviously no lag either in that case. Should also be fine for private grouping.

Edit: The admins of the public servers also indicated that the problems are caused by their hardware being overloaded right now.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:36:28 AM by cironian »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #13263 on: April 29, 2019, 08:51:30 AM

Oh good.  I loved that game, too.  I guess I'll try and play it solo too, if I can.

Between Torchlight Frontiers alpha and the New World alpha (which I can't say anything other than that because of NDA), I've just been hopping around games trying to find something that sticks.  I can't do too much alpha because it annoys me after a while.  I even played some of the new expansion from ESO on the test server.  Of course, I don't want to over do that one, either, because I want to play the expansion.  I'm definitely at one of those very annoying between games times.  I hate it.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13264 on: April 29, 2019, 09:02:56 AM

I am playing Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel (1). In my neverending search for JRPG to love I had somehow missed this until I think Trippy reminded me of its existence. I bought it with very little expectations and now I am officially a fan, of the game and the whole series (which spans across 14 games). I will probably expand on this in the future as I am tempted to write a proper review. It definitely shares some traits with the Persona games in the school life and relationship development aspects, and that's a huge bonus to me. The game is massive, big world, immense cast of characters in a universe built across more than ten games so full to the brim of callbacks and cameos, and an overall direction that has pushed me to seek out other Takayuki Kusano's games as he and I clearly like a lot of the same things.
So far (50 hours in), this is rising fast in my personal all time JRPG rankings.

Pages: 1 ... 377 378 [379] 380 381 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: