Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:40:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173044 times)
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13090 on: February 07, 2019, 11:21:14 AM

The question that begs:  are there other JRPGs out there that follow this old school formula?
That's the problem. No, not since Persona 5. And that's why I bought DQ11 and kept playing it too much even though I was so unhappy with it.
Depends on what you mean by "this old school formula".

Edit: adding quote, new page
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:24:13 AM by Trippy »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13091 on: February 07, 2019, 12:18:52 PM

Yes. Personally, what I miss and what I mean by "old school formula" is turn based with no timers whatsoever, party based where you control all characters, and class based.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13092 on: February 07, 2019, 12:19:53 PM

Etrian Odyssey!

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13093 on: February 07, 2019, 12:41:55 PM

7D2D looks kind of janky. Not that jank has stopped me from enjoying games. Hell, I loved Elex. Minecraft mods might be OK, but I'd have to make sense of what the hell my son has done with the Minecraft install.
Janky AF. But it's got a certain something. Not the least of which is a really strong config system...if you're ok with editing the inis or whatever. I like to turn down/off the flying mobs that are more annoying than interesting, slow down a few OP zeds (cough dogs cough), stuff like that. Not enough to kill the flavor or danger, just make it a bit more casual friendly. But I'm an old-school Romero guy, shamblers please.

I'm still surprised at how much I liked Elex. After getting pirated out with Risen, I'd been missing the series. Played maybe 3/4 of Risen 2 and the intro to 3. I should probably go back to Risen 3 and play more, but I've learned I don't like pirate or cowboy themes. Sci fi I like more than I'd thought, there's just been so much shit scifi that I forget I like it.

Minecraft: not sure how long it's been since you've played, but for the mod scene you just install the Twitch client (they bought out Curse). It's bloated, updates too much and is generally a piece of trash...but it makes managing modpacks easy as heck. And you can run multiple profiles, both at the user level and at the modpack level. So you can both have your own Twitch accounts, or share an account and have separate modpack profiles, or whatever. I still keep a list of tweaks I like to make to certain packs, but even that is better with modern minecraft, since many modpacks expose the configs right in the GUI now (with tooltips!).

The stuff the folks who played on the f13 server tend to like are a bit more advanced, since we know a ton of ways to achieve a goal through different mods. But many modpacks come with quest books that guide you through the different mods in the pack and help you tech up or whatever. Though there is really no getting around liberal use of the wikis when you play modded minecraft.

I sprung for Mudrunners on PS4 as a sale deal, it seems fun but I'm not sure how much I'll dig into it (no pun intended). Also got Steep and Portal Knights from Plus, but Portal Knights looks a bit too far outside my taste. Mostly playing (still) The Golf Club 2, Madden, and Rocksmith. That CDLC really opens it up, even being as mixed a bag as it is (VERY mixed, mostly poorly implemented...I'm trying to resist the urge to learn how to create my own).
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13094 on: February 07, 2019, 12:44:20 PM

If you want to try modded Minecraft Rasix, I've still got a server up with Enigmatica 2. I haven't been on much (thanks POE) lately but I'd hop back on to help show you the ropes; it's also got a pretty good questbook to guide you through most of the major mods.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13095 on: February 07, 2019, 01:17:51 PM

May as well pm me the deets for that, Ren. I'm bound to come back around to minecraft before spring.

I was getting somewhere with StoneBlock, but wouldn't recommend it for a newer player because the quest book is extremely (boringly) sparse. The idea of a skyblock without the sky is so good for new players, though, it's a shame they dropped the ball on the guide.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13096 on: February 07, 2019, 01:44:34 PM

Yes. Personally, what I miss and what I mean by "old school formula" is turn based with no timers whatsoever, party based where you control all characters, and class based.
So like I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, and Octopath Traveler (Switch-only)?
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13097 on: February 07, 2019, 02:21:04 PM

May as well pm me the deets for that, Ren. I'm bound to come back around to minecraft before spring.

I was getting somewhere with StoneBlock, but wouldn't recommend it for a newer player because the quest book is extremely (boringly) sparse. The idea of a skyblock without the sky is so good for new players, though, it's a shame they dropped the ball on the guide.
PM sent.

I agree on StoneBlock's subpar questbook; I was having a lot of fun since my two biggest complaints about SkyBlock are falling to death and the initial cobble grind. I petered out due to lack of direction and the OP quest rewards (in particular, the sword that one shots everything with Looting 99 or whatever).

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13098 on: February 07, 2019, 02:35:25 PM

So like I am Setsuna, Lost Sphear, Battle Chasers: Nightwar, and Octopath Traveler (Switch-only)?

Thanks for the recommendations Trippy, I will check those out.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13099 on: February 07, 2019, 05:38:21 PM

I checked those out. Turns out they were all in my Steam wishlist but for different reasons I've never pulled the trigger on any of them. Both Setsuna and Lost Sphear don't seem to be really good games despite the traditional formula, and Battle Chasers might be a winner but isn't really Japanese so the J from JRPG is missing. It seems that the closest thing to what I am looking for, and was in my wishlist too but I have completely forgotten about, is the "Trails" series. Trails in the Sky, Trails of Cold Steel. Thoughts?
I might actually get one of those tonight, although to be honest every time I need a classic JRPG fix I load up an emulator and play one of the greats from back then.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13100 on: February 07, 2019, 05:55:15 PM

Trails of Cold Steel is good; I played the first one but don't think I finished it. It's similar to Persona in that you can spend time socializing with various party members during downtime, which is fun. I was playing it on Vita, and don't remember why I stopped.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13101 on: February 07, 2019, 11:39:16 PM

So wait....that comes from this Trails series where "Trails in the Sky" is the first?  Are they all good, or are you simply advocating the most recent one?

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13102 on: February 08, 2019, 04:10:47 AM

Screw it, I just went ahead and bought the original Trails in the Sky.  Only like 8 euro, so it can’t possibly go wrong.  Now, I simply have to muster the inner strength to not fire it up until DQXI is done with.  I predict failure.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13103 on: February 08, 2019, 07:37:30 AM

Technically they're all part of the Legend of Heroes series, yea. I haven't played Trails in the Sky though, just the Gagharv trilogy (released as LoH II, I and III in the US) and the first Cold Steel.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13104 on: February 08, 2019, 07:51:37 AM

From what I have read, the three Trails in the Sky ("Trails in the Sky", "SC", and "The 3rd") are an actual trilogy and share characters and story elements. I hear that the third one is the least essential. Then the two Trails of Cold Steel are their own thing and should be played in order. In fact, it looks like they were supposed to be one game but ended up being split cause it was too big. The first one ends on a huge cliffhanger.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13105 on: February 08, 2019, 08:01:02 AM

There are 4 games in the Trails of Cold Steel series, plus a duology set at the same time called the Crossbell series. Only the first two ToCS have been translated, with the third coming later this year for PS4 (and hopefully PC). Neither of the Crossbell ones have made it stateside, but I think fan translations are in progress.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13106 on: February 08, 2019, 08:46:45 AM

For those of you keeping score at home, I made it 30 minutes before firing it up.  30 minutes.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Looks good so far.  VERY dialogue heavy.  Like very.  OTOH, the dialogue itself is superb, and I already love Estelle.  Here’s hoping my interest doesn’t wane, this looks like another good throwback.  Or I guess, it’s more of an update.  Looks pretty good in 4K.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13107 on: February 08, 2019, 09:24:59 AM

Resonance of Fate is on Steam if you want an interesting and different JRPG. It's not for everyone, but I enjoyed it. However, it is really difficult and the battle system can be a bit daunting.

The Tales series is on Steam as well. They're OK. Battle isn't turn based but they're JRPGs through and through.

Grandia 2 is something that I enjoyed when I played it. They anniversary edition was just released on Steam. Heh, I played this back when I was still pirating games.

Buy a PS2. Go nuts.

-Rasix
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13108 on: February 08, 2019, 02:03:52 PM

I really like the Tales series but as you said, no turn based. Really worth it though.

schild
Administrator

Reply #13109 on: February 08, 2019, 04:25:21 PM

If you buy a PS2 the correct answer is Rogue Galaxy. What a fucking game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13110 on: February 08, 2019, 06:10:28 PM

Or get the ROM and emulate it. Or are we against it?

https://www.emuparadise.me/Sony_Playstation_2_ISOs/Rogue_Galaxy_(USA)/151192

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13111 on: February 08, 2019, 06:54:06 PM

Rogue Galaxy isn't turn based though. I also found it to be worse than Dark Cloud.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13112 on: February 08, 2019, 07:26:22 PM

Without the obnoxious picture taking system with miss-able photos in Dark Cloud 2, though!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13113 on: February 09, 2019, 06:51:00 AM

Hey. Dark Cloud was already on it but I just read five minutes ago that Rogue Galaxy just got added to the Playstation Now subscription, their game-streaming service. They have lots of PS2 jrpg, they even have stuff like Wild Arms 3.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13114 on: February 09, 2019, 04:51:59 PM

I didn't play Dark Cloud 2.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13115 on: February 10, 2019, 02:13:02 PM

Oh, well then.  Never mind!
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13116 on: February 11, 2019, 03:59:41 AM

I basically binged Trails in the Sky over the weekend, which is something I seldom do.  Figure I am getting close to the halfway point, maybe 15 hours in.  This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  It is an interesting approach they have taken with the story, in that there is surely something big going on in the background, but for the most part you are just a happy-go-lucky little duo going on an adventure.  Hits a lot of good chords.  Items of note, both positive and negative:

- It feels like a FF7 era JRPG.  Still on the cutesy end of the spectrum, but way more fleshed out than even something like DQXI (ironically).
- The dialogue is very extensive.  Feels like reading text is the thing you do most.  Very well written to be sure, but it would turn many off.  Not just shallow bullshit either, it goes deep.
- Combat system is good.  The more I play it, the more I like it.  Positioning on your little grid matters, though it isn't totally within your control.  The "Arts" and "Crafts" systems are both well done, particularly the latter.
- The magic system (Arts) they use is a little tough to get to grips with, but it works well enough. 
- The monsters you fight suck.  They are strange and often unidentifiable, and small.  A strange mistake in an otherwise meticulous game.
- The whole "Bracer" idea, in that you are just wandering around doing your job and trying to level up within the guild is cool.  It makes all your side quests make complete sense for once.
- OTOH...all too often I pick up a side quest, but get wrapped into the main story somewhat against my will, only to have the side quest expire.  Kinda dumb, especially as this is an important source of income.
- The map itself is too on-rails.  I don't hate it, but I'd prefer a bit more openness to it.  That said, the sense of epicness of the journey is there.
- Considering all the care that went into crafting the world, the towns, the environments, etc....they could have done a better job of sprinkling little rewards, treasures and little surprises here and there.  I always thought the older Final Fantasy games did this very well, rewarding you for checking out the nooks and crannies.  This game generally does not.
- Party members pop in and out of your life in a way that makes sense, and it dynamically changes the difficulty.  Your duo will struggle in some situations where having a powerful third would make things far easier.  I am also unsure if I should sell all the loot of party members who have left?

In general, though, I am totally sold.  I will play this through to the end for sure, and fairly certainly pick up the next one in the series shortly thereafter.  No way I am touching DQXI in the meantime....I like it just fine, but despite being way prettier to look at, it is incredibly shallow in comparison to Trails.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13117 on: February 11, 2019, 07:08:06 AM

Apex Legends is rather fun, even if I'm not terribly good at these things.

Coming 2nd squad when my teammates had quit on start and left me on my todd was a particularly proud moment.  Finding out the other squad was down to the last guy was irksome though.  It could have been mine !

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13118 on: February 11, 2019, 07:26:38 AM

Finally started Etrian Odyssey Nexus and it's everything I wanted it to be. If anyone here likes Wizardry style games and has a 3DS, pick this one up.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13119 on: February 11, 2019, 08:14:20 AM

Still having to draw the map with the stick, eh?

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13120 on: February 11, 2019, 09:24:53 AM

It has a full automap option for filthy casuals. why so serious?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13121 on: February 11, 2019, 10:22:16 AM

Sold!

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13122 on: February 11, 2019, 10:40:16 AM

I'll drop my Guild Card here once I figure out how to conjure it up; post yours if you pick it up.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13123 on: February 11, 2019, 11:02:44 AM

Started on GTA V (very late to the party, but it took me a while to forget the boring awfulness that was GTA IV).  So far so good.  Not a single HEY COUSIN NIKO phone call yet!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13124 on: February 11, 2019, 11:08:37 AM

Rogue Galaxy is available on PSN store for PS4, for the lazy, as is Dark Cloud 2. I was already emulating these but now I can play on the sofa ... and get those photos I missed.

Downloaded The Last Remnant remake on PS4. Loved it and almost finished it on original release.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 [375] 376 377 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: