Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:04:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172872 times)
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12985 on: December 28, 2018, 07:29:54 PM

Playing some Rimworld again, this time modded out to the nines. Fun game. Great emergent narratives.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12986 on: December 29, 2018, 07:09:17 PM

Playing some Rimworld again, this time modded out to the nines. Fun game. Great emergent narratives.

I'm probably just going to buy it next time I need something different. I'm done waiting for it to go one sale!

I'm still playing some StoneBlock modpack minecraft and GTA V. Which I rebought for the PS4 after stalling on RDR2. It runs much smoother than the pc version on my 970/Ultra, though I miss the variety/density of cars/npcs, and of course the fidelity is knocked down a bunch. The use of the controller speaker is nifty, too.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12987 on: December 31, 2018, 09:23:02 AM

Okami, RDR2, and Spider-Man. Not enough Spider-Man.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12988 on: January 03, 2019, 08:49:28 PM

I finally finished the first Uncharted. Fun game, and by God that ought to be Nathan Fillion as Drake - it sure sounds like him. I could have finished it a while ago but I get a lot of inertia in games like this. They are fun but after about 5-6 hours of play, it starts to get old as there's no new gameplay to learn and I have to slog through the rest of the story. At least the story is worth slogging through for what it is.

I've been playing the shit out of Magic the Gathering Arena and Cities Skylines. The latter has a lot of good DLC, especially the Mass Transit and Industries ones, which I got from the Christmas sale. If you like the original game, these two DLC really do what DLC should and expand on what made the original good.

I also started 2 JRPG's. The first was Disgaea (the original game ported to PC). It's... it's very autistic. Like I realize RPG's like this are ultimately about raising the numbers higher to fight more of the same enemies only tougher, but something about stripping away all the context of walking around in a world and the virtual novel way of presenting the story just wears me out on games like this. I think it's that the feeling of "THE TUBE" is very strong in that there's little attempt to disguise the go here to fight, then go here to fight meta of this type of game. That walking around context and cinematics really do add something, at least for me. Which brought me to playing Final Fantasy X, the HD remake on the PS4. I've tried playing FFVII and ran out of steam, as the combat system just didn't agree with me and the lack of modern conveniences was too much. This one is very, very odd. I'm not even sure I'm through the tutorial yet after many hours, because most of it feels like walking from one cinematic to the next, all of which are told with so much hesitation between the actors speaking the dialogue that there's tons of awkward silences. I like the combat better than VII though, so there is that. I'm not sure the story is going to make any goddamn sense though. Something about time travel and Sin and blitzball and summoners and guardians and... wut?

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #12989 on: January 03, 2019, 09:27:54 PM

FFX is a great story told terribly. Auron is my favorite character in the entire FF suite.

If you finish the game, search for a video that explains the story in detail. It will fill in a lot of gaps.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12990 on: January 03, 2019, 11:11:25 PM

I was like 99.5% through a FFX run a few months ago when my teenager decided that factory resetting my PS4 was a good way to solve a bug in something unrelated.  I have now played that game ALMOST to completion twice.  Have no idea how it ends. 

Come to think of it, I was probably 75% through an FF12 run, also for the second time, and have also not seen the end of that one.

Thinking back, I also never made it past about 80% of FF8.  And about the same for FF13.  Never finished any of numbers 1 through 6.  I have finished VII twice and IX once.

I have liked them all on some level, but seem to be pretty bad about seeing them through.  15 is still an unknown.  I have only ever put about 5 hours into that one, and it just doesn't grab me.  The action-oriented combat seems very spastastic to me.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12991 on: January 04, 2019, 07:43:42 AM

I had the flu over xmas week (yay), and at one point feverishly played Trevor in tighty whiteys and timbos, running up and down Venice Beach, just running into randos. If they wanted to fight, I did. Otherwise, just knocking people over. I laughed and laughed and did it for like two hours. I realized at that point I probably had the flu and not a cold. It was so stupid but so enjoyable.

Last night I was playing a bit, again as shirtless Trev in his basic grungy sweats and timbos. This time sober and coherent (me, not Trevor), just walking around the financial district robbing people at ATMs and trying to start fights with insults.

After an hour or so of that, I started getting curious as to why that was so much fun and RDR2 bored me. Weird.

Need to do more Rocksmith, my calluses just shed :(
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #12992 on: January 04, 2019, 08:02:52 AM

I am basically playing Ultima Online. I should make a post about it soon.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #12993 on: January 04, 2019, 08:23:50 AM

Disgaea 1 has some of my absolute favorite level design in a tactics game.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12994 on: January 04, 2019, 09:49:28 AM

I had the flu over xmas week (yay), and at one point feverishly played Trevor in tighty whiteys and timbos, running up and down Venice Beach, just running into randos. If they wanted to fight, I did. Otherwise, just knocking people over. I laughed and laughed and did it for like two hours. I realized at that point I probably had the flu and not a cold. It was so stupid but so enjoyable.

Last night I was playing a bit, again as shirtless Trev in his basic grungy sweats and timbos. This time sober and coherent (me, not Trevor), just walking around the financial district robbing people at ATMs and trying to start fights with insults.

After an hour or so of that, I started getting curious as to why that was so much fun and RDR2 bored me. Weird.

Need to do more Rocksmith, my calluses just shed :(

Well, if you are bored, 7 Days to Die just dropped their first major update in one and a half years. It's broken enough stuff to make it an entirely new game again, so....
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12995 on: January 04, 2019, 09:59:19 AM

Yep, I noticed they had finally put out A17, I've been watching Joel's update vids for a while now. Some really intense stuff and actually getting pretty close to release. My plan was to hold off for any inevitable hotfixes for a couple weeks and dive in. I always play the new Alpha release, and it's always worth it.

Overall, though, I think they're pushing hard against a popular direction of players wanting a safe base. Not necessarily easily defendable or easy to design, but it seems they want no safe place at all, and I'm not down with that. I don't mind fighting some zombies, but my primary focus is exploration and base building. So I'm happy to have been playing for as long as I have been!
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12996 on: January 04, 2019, 01:27:03 PM

Yep, I noticed they had finally put out A17, I've been watching Joel's update vids for a while now. Some really intense stuff and actually getting pretty close to release. My plan was to hold off for any inevitable hotfixes for a couple weeks and dive in. I always play the new Alpha release, and it's always worth it.

Overall, though, I think they're pushing hard against a popular direction of players wanting a safe base. Not necessarily easily defendable or easy to design, but it seems they want no safe place at all, and I'm not down with that. I don't mind fighting some zombies, but my primary focus is exploration and base building. So I'm happy to have been playing for as long as I have been!

I'm with you on that. I've only played a couple of hours on the new buggy build, but that was the impression I got too. Just constant danger and the zombies can rip through practically anything. Not the boat I want to float in either.

But that said, player mods will undoubtedly come to the rescue. I was already editing configs myself to make the Red Moons more survivable -- or just turn them off altogether. But I have no interest in a constant run and gun day and night. Is that something a lot of players really want?
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12997 on: January 04, 2019, 01:36:46 PM

Spider-Man. Don't forget the hyphen.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12998 on: January 04, 2019, 05:40:20 PM

I was already editing configs myself to make the Red Moons more survivable -- or just turn them off altogether.
Oh yeah, forgot bout that. I ~heavily~ alter the configs. The new spawn system really messed with that for me (in A16), I used to have it set up really perfectly customized. One nice thing about when it's 'released', hopefully it means the configs stay more similar from patch to patch.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12999 on: January 07, 2019, 07:36:42 AM

Just played Frostpunk which I thought was surprisingly fun.  I died on the main scenario with like 4 hours to go on the final day on my first play though and then absolutely destroyed it the second time around.  That would probably be my main complaint about the game.  Once you 'figure it out', I don't think there's much variety on the strategy you would take.  I might try one of the other scenarios and see how much it changes things but otherwise I had my fun with it and I think I'm done.

I also played through Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon.  Being a huge Castlevania fan, I thought I was going to love this game but it was just really underwhelming.  It looks great and the music is alright but everything else is just such a blatant ripoff it was really disappointing.  Most of the enemies are just 1 to 1 with Castlevania enemies with a slightly different look.  Every character and their moves are all directly from Castlevania.  Even some of the screen layouts, bosses move sets and level designs are just tweaked enough to not be 'copying'.  You can tell they put some real effort into the game, so I really wish they would have made it more original. 

They had a cool idea where there are multiple paths through the levels.  The problem is, the actual paths end up making no difference to the game and most of the time they are not really even different.  There's multiple endings in the game that you get by making choices during the first 4 levels, except the first time I played the game I had no idea I was even making a choice.   Also it's not fun enough to do 5 mostly identical runs to get the different endings.  The very little story that is in the game is just bad.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13000 on: January 07, 2019, 08:37:50 AM

That's the one that's more like the old school Castlevanias than SotN right?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #13001 on: January 07, 2019, 08:41:13 AM

Bloodstained: ritual of the night will be the full game, curse of the moon was their stretch goal

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13002 on: January 09, 2019, 04:01:55 PM

Finally got around to trying some custom DLCs for Rocksmith.

Decent selection, tabs can be dicey and so far the bass tones loaded in are...horribad. I can ignore the tabs, because a lot of what I'm after are songs I know or would just learn out of a book anyway. But the bass tones...going to have to figure that one out, the tone used for the Sabbath stuff is so bassy it rattles the houses a block over. Some weird omissions, guitarists don't often include bass parts. And the download sites make minecraft mods look legit, there's one host I havn't been able to figure out the key to download through their ad traps at all.

Still worth it to have Sabbath, Zep, Floyd, and a bunch of other great stuff. My first round, I added about 120 songs :D
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13003 on: January 09, 2019, 04:56:51 PM

I super stupidly bought Dungeons 3 thinking it was one of those "build a dungeon" things but instead so far it seems to be Warcraft 3 only you're evil. Which is really not what I was up for.
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #13004 on: January 09, 2019, 10:10:06 PM

War for the Overworld is the best dungeon builder I've played since the Dungeon Keeper games.  They even got Richard Ridings, the Dungeon Keeper narrator, to do their narration.  At best, the Dungeons series is mediocre.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #13005 on: January 10, 2019, 02:35:37 AM

I super stupidly bought Dungeons 3 thinking it was one of those "build a dungeon" things but instead so far it seems to be Warcraft 3 only you're evil. Which is really not what I was up for.

I got that one on a HB monthly ;  it was interesting at first, but the funny wore off really quickly, the gameplay enjoyment even quicker.

I'm still unsure why so many people look bad fondly on Dungeon Keeper ;  it wasn't a terribly good game and, for those old chaps among us, not at all what was promised initially as a game.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #13006 on: January 10, 2019, 04:51:31 AM

I'm still unsure why so many people look bad fondly on Dungeon Keeper ;  it wasn't a terribly good game and, for those old chaps among us, not at all what was promised initially as a game.

I’ve got to agree.  I was really underwhelmed by it as well.  It’s a charming game, but the difficulty ramp really sucks, and it just becomes an exercise in how quickly you can put out fires rather than any sort of grand strategy.

Populous, on the other hand, really stands the test of time and has never been done justice by any of its sequels.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13007 on: January 10, 2019, 07:56:10 AM

I think it was the idea of Dungeon Keeper. It almost reminded me of the early Wizardry where you wake up as the Foozle and battle your way back up the dungeon, killing player-character types on the way--the idea is fun. But the reality of Dungeon Keeper was disappointing, yeah. I keep hoping someone will do it right.

I might try this game Kenshi. It looks like ass, but a decent number of people say it's surprisingly compelling as a kind of open-world, emergent game, a bit like Mount and Blade.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13008 on: January 10, 2019, 09:00:18 AM

RDR 2 is getting really depressing. This story is really bleak. Side quests are still great and really emphasize what's going on with whatever version of Arthur you're playing. I think I'm pretty close to the end, so I'm trying to finish up on any available (non collect-a-thon) stranger missions.

Oh, my son is into Fortnite now. Yay. It's affecting his school work already.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13009 on: January 11, 2019, 07:08:29 AM

I added about 120 songs :D
Kinda got carried away last night, about 350 more songs...and probably not done.

Going to need to do some vetting and testing, one song crashed the game and one has odd audio settings. Still, I played about a dozen songs that were mostly great. Consistently the worst part is how people set up the bass tone, many clearly aren't bass players and just think it means you turn the bass knob to 10 and the treble to 0 so it doesn't step on your guitar tone. I laughed out loud at one guy's distorted guitar tone, as soon as the tone kicked in I chuckled, "guitar players, man".

Some glaring omissions yet, and in addition to some of the most popular tunes being on shit hosting (and basically not downloadable) and some odd choices (my main peeve is listing a Bon Scott album and it's a Brian Johnson version of the song, NOT cool)....so at some point I'll probably just learn how to make my own.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13010 on: January 11, 2019, 07:47:33 AM

Any of these you'd actually recommend for the bass parts?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13011 on: January 11, 2019, 09:52:28 AM

I'm primarily playing bass, because it's tough for me to read the guitar tab. Bass having less chords and two less strings helps.

Recommend in what way? I like a lot of stuff, the Maiden and Rush stuff has gotten by far the most play from me. I'm not sure how accurate the CDLC tabs are, because I tend to just go find real tabs if I care that much.

I guess this is my basic recommendation for the paid DLC:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:58:09 AM by Sky »
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #13012 on: January 12, 2019, 03:11:39 AM

I've noticed on the customsforge site there's a member, JamesPrestonUK, who's contributed quite a few songs (44 pages worth...) with only bass parts. Never really explored them myself as I don't have a bass but they may be worth looking at.

The theory is if he's doing exclusively bass parts he may be putting more effort into them?
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13013 on: January 12, 2019, 12:16:07 PM

Yeah, Holy Diver is probably my favorite song on there.  I'm not good enough to handle most of the Rush stuff, but I dig it as well.  To be honest, I kind of suck and don't play a ton but I keep going back to Dio, Tom Petty and REM.  If the tabs in the custom stuff aren't great then I'll stay away for now.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13014 on: January 12, 2019, 02:20:03 PM

The CustomsForge stuff is all going to be variable, like any content from a mod maker would be. However, I can say that in the time I've played it, I've gotten more good stuff than bad - I could probably count on one hand the number of unbearable, unplayable ones.

Baldrake
Terracotta Army

Reply #13015 on: January 12, 2019, 02:40:04 PM

My new year's resolution is to play every unplayed game in my Steam library. Even 10 minutes is enough, as long as I have played it at all.

Today's was Proteus. It got good reviews. I find myself walking around in a vaguely Minecraft-like world with nothing going on. The controls feel a bit off. I wander around a lot. Can't find anything actually happening or anything to do. Vague disquiet that I'm missing something - as in, the game.

I eventually give up and read the Wikipedia article. Doesn't look like I was missing anything. Apparently I was meant to be impressed by the procedural audio.

New year's resolution off to a good start. Ohhhhh, I see.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13016 on: January 13, 2019, 09:25:36 AM

Yeah, Holy Diver is probably my favorite song on there.  I'm not good enough to handle most of the Rush stuff, but I dig it as well.  To be honest, I kind of suck and don't play a ton but I keep going back to Dio, Tom Petty and REM.  If the tabs in the custom stuff aren't great then I'll stay away for now.
I've been playing a loooong time (34 years) and the first 12 years or so of that was a gigging band. We lost our bass player in 88 or 89 and I did the old woodshed trick, locking myself up with some great albums and a bass guitar. I remember ...And Justice For All, the first two Sabbath albums, Moving Pictures, and good ol' side B track 1 from Piece of Mind: The Trooper (my old triplet practice, 3-finger). Anything around those albums from those bands I'm going to be able to fake a lot better because they formed the basis of my technique. I'd recommend Tom Sawyer as an entry point to learning Rush, it's got a couple tricky passages but is a great into to Ged's technique.

I had a bit of ear training early on, which helped me improvise better, which was a lot of live ear training. That makes bad tabs apparent immediately.

Another thing is tab written in a weird position. Trying to learn it from an accurate, but out of position, tab means real-time translation and then ignoring the tab when you get it down. For some reason I don't really do riff repeater, but I often pause and work on a riff, so I guess I should.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13017 on: January 14, 2019, 07:41:21 AM

I had the long-cycle itch to play a golf game. Not wanting to drop $50 on whatever the big game is, I put $10 on The Golf Club 2. It's good enough to scratch the itch. I mostly wish they had a trajectory arc like whatever game I used to play back in the day. With this one I can't really dial in good slices around corners or whatever, because the game doesn't expose how it's doing it and the guesswork mostly leaves me swimming or in the trees.

Still, it's got a ton of pro- and user-created courses, and it's good enough for $10.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13018 on: January 14, 2019, 08:07:57 AM

Started Hitman 2. The only thing that bugs me a bit in both games is that I can't climb or jump down heights that an unobserved person on a sinister mission (or who needed to get the fuck out of Dodge) could do. If the engine was just a bit more open-ended, I'd be happier, because sometimes it really crosses into "puzzle-game territory" for me rather than "open-ended invention with interactable environments".
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13019 on: January 14, 2019, 10:43:46 AM

Really disappointed by Moonlighter.  The combat is stiff.   The dungeons are kind of annoying with around half the enemies that just charge right at you relentlessly rather than have any kind of patterns or strategy.  The shop keeping is really shallow and the town as well.  Also for a game about inventory management the inventory interface is awful.  It doesn't have any kind of sorting and the stack split mechanic is just terrible.  Plus your backpack is always full which makes everything a chore.

I still might play it a bit more, it's not horrible.  I just expected it to be much better.

Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: