Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172936 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12530 on: April 13, 2018, 08:00:40 AM

I even play trash games for the story. Even if it’s a story I have to make up for myself. The fact that they went for the laziest, most “I’m a fucking 12-year-old M. Knight Shymalan!” Ending just makes all the rest of it seem like a waste of a good open world.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12531 on: April 13, 2018, 08:32:05 AM

I dig this redneck chick I found out in the woods so much I see her as my main companion

Oh man, whaaaat?

in the game.

Whew!

Can't pause cutscenes in Farcry 5.  Good job, you fucking childless assholes.  The actual game part is banaynays and usually fun.  When it's time to be hauled in for Story Time, I just drop my pants and take it so I can get back to more fun later.  Otherwise I don't have any issues with the story.  Stories in games have always been shit, and they always will be.  If you want a story, read a fucking book.

Related perhaps, still playing Warframe in a duo.

Downloaded Stardew Valley and very nearly made it to the first evening to save.  Maybe next time.

Got back from the WWII museum in NOLA (which I recommend), after visiting many important locations in February (see Instagram) of 2018 and some in 2017, and somehow wanted to pick up Wolfenstein again.  Need more free time but will try to make some progress this spring.  The story is ridiculous enough that I'm finding it entertaining the same way smart people enjoy Steven King.  In fact, after my educational journeys I now find the brain-damaged ex-Nazi amusing for reasons.

Given up on Fortnite again.  Maybe will try again later if we get bored with Warframe.

AC Origins.  I'm seeing a trend of murdering pretend people in simulated environments while surrounded by asinine storylines.  Might do the re-worked Ezio ones after this, or some of the PS3 ones that I have installed there.

Finally, I want No Man's Sky to tickle me down there again because I think I have forgotten how much of a dumb-ass bitch she was last time we dated.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12532 on: April 13, 2018, 08:40:14 AM

I think it's the combination of the game interrupting what you're doing to compel you to do the story thing (even if you skip the cutscenes, you still get interrupted and have to do a bunch of dumb shit to get back to what you were doing) plus the pure unadulterated shittiness of the ending that really ruins it. I keep coming back to the analogy of how that would look in similar games--if Skyrim not only interrupted you in the middle of other stuff to force you to push forward the civil war plot but at the very end you found out that you were never actually the Dovahkiin but were just being manipulated by Paarthurnax and Alduin and you'd actually destroyed the whole world and everything you'd done in the game was irrelevant.

Also I really hated the way it handled save points; a lot of the side quests and story quests restart if you log off no matter how far you are in them.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12533 on: April 13, 2018, 08:45:14 AM

Finished X-Com 2: War of the Chosen and that was just a fucking excellent game.

I've been playing a little Civ VI multiplayer with some buddies and other than not being able to finish a game or even progress very far without someone having to quit, it seems ok. It's got lots of shit that it throws at you but I'm not sure it's as good as V. I've taken over from some AI leaders in multiplayer games and by God, it looks like the AI is just schizo and retarded. I have no clue what it was trying to do.

I've picked up Stellaris finally, though I don't have all the DLC yet. It is, however, scratching my itches pretty damn good in the early stages. The soundtrack is fantastic and it feels like a weighty game.

I may have finally quit League of Legends for good. The latest patch has taken the meta trend of season 8 and gone full fucking methtard. In the pursuit of making games shorter, they have turned every game into a full on retard team fight slap fest. Unless you are playing a tank, every team fight will go the same way. One person will step a nanometer too far in the wrong direction, immediately get chain CCed for the literal 1 second time it takes for the entire opposing team to melt that person down into a puddle of champ bits before moving on to the next victim. If you are the person making that wrong step, it becomes a frustrating experience because the minute you get hit, you realize there is absolutely nothing you can do to avoid the death. There are so few escape abilities that aren't compromised or countered by the waves of CC. It reminds me of early days of Dark Age of Camelot - stun, stun, stun, die. The team with the most tanks and/or crowd control abilities wins. And this starts from like minute 2 of the game. It used to be you could tell by minute 10-15 if the game was going to be lost or not - now it's by minute 5 and the comebacks are going to be super rare.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12534 on: April 13, 2018, 08:46:41 AM

I don't disagree with the Farcry points.  I'm not far enough along that I'm unable to pick the peanuts out of this turd.

I forgot to mention that I like Steamworld Heist.  But I really should get back to XCOM 2.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12535 on: April 13, 2018, 09:27:42 AM

As I said, I skip the scenes. I did let most of John's run, but they were so awful I just tried ye olde esc and voila. So for Faith's (I'm not quite halfway up her progress bar yet) I just skip them all. Saving the mountains for last because the environment is so amazing I just want to savor it.

I thought Skyrim mostly sucked. I never got the hype. And though the open world was ok, the story parts were pure garbage and I actively avoided it after a while.

If there were more companies writing stuff like The Baron from Witcher 3, I might give games a chance now and again. But hell naw.

Shirleybob, I do make up my own stories for it. Me and my two redneck girls who mostly raise hell, hunt, fish, and kill anything that gets in the way of those things (aka the peggies). So not only do I not care about the story, technically I roleplay that in how I play.

FC5 will easily sit in the top ten of my /played time on Steam. I don't play a ton of games like a lot of you guys, though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12536 on: April 13, 2018, 11:58:24 AM

Don't be jelly, I can't play all of them and I just buy them to fill a void in my soul.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12537 on: April 13, 2018, 12:14:11 PM

Don't be jelly, I can't play all of them and I just buy them to fill a void in my soul.

f13's new motto.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12538 on: April 13, 2018, 02:51:21 PM

I got like double and play less of them who jelly now bish  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12539 on: April 13, 2018, 08:06:00 PM

Fuck, really? I just finished off the last underboss.

Fuck that. I'm going back to The Division.

I played Ghost Recon Wildlands to the end and it had really unsatisfying, fuck stupid ending, too.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12540 on: April 20, 2018, 09:36:51 AM

I got like double and play less of them who jelly now bish  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

My PS2 backlog brings all the boys to the yard.

The rotation lately is more of a flip-flop between Warframe and Stardew Valley.  I created a Helminth Charger, and my friend with the "healthy" kubrow is super jelly.  Especially since he went to the clinic.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12541 on: April 20, 2018, 11:43:00 AM

Playing a lot of Elex. I guess I'm the audience for PB games, because I'm loving it. This one is even more unforgiving than Risen 1, but the QOL improvements the system has gone through are very welcome. Plus it looks fine (IMO), and runs great on my aging system. I like the combat system, although early on it takes some getting used to.

It is perhaps a bit overly difficult in spots. You ramp up rather slow, and I assume I'll just continue like this until I'm overpowered and plowing through everything. Of course, at this point, everything still damages you if you step out of line one bit.

Also playing LoL ARAMs, because it seems to be the only non-toxic game mode. Now that my new account is around level 20, I'm not seeing quite as many bot accounts. You know you're at a nice spot when you can lose a game after being one auto away from winning and it doesn't bother you in the slightest, and no one flames at all.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12542 on: April 20, 2018, 02:20:45 PM

Yeah, I think ARAM is the only place on LOL where you will see actual human like behavior because it has no real stakes attached.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #12543 on: April 20, 2018, 03:02:57 PM

Picked up God of War after all of the fawning reviews and played it for a bit.

The game seems ok so far. I'm not especially far in but after all of the "the kid won't be annoying" publicity, all I can say is I wish the kid would SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP.
I personally find the kid's American accent really grating as well - ruins immersion for me pretty badly. I'd much prefer a scandi accent but I'm sure most of the US audience won't really notice.

No spoilers, but here's a useful hint - do all the side shit as you come across it, since the game does not let you go back to revisit areas. I've just finished the first part, and followed the story instead of doing all of the crap on the fringes, thinking I should follow the kid and then I'd be able to go back and grab the things. Nope.

Combat (so far) is merely okay. It's not bad, but it's not the second coming.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #12544 on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:07 PM

My wife picked that up yesterday for the PS4. It makes my PS4 sound like a hairdryer, even though I cleaned it recently.

I've never played the series, so I can't really speak to whether it's an upgrade, downgrade, or what, but it seems pretty fun. She's enjoying it well enough.

There is a 7 gig patch that has a four line patch note, which seems weird.

I do like the camera work -- the cinematography flows fairly well between action and cut scene, and I don't really have a problem with the kid.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12545 on: April 21, 2018, 08:46:29 PM

My wife picked that up yesterday for the PS4. It makes my PS4 sound like a hairdryer, even though I cleaned it recently.

Is that just a PS4 thing? Horizon: Zero Dawn does that to mine too (first game I've played on it), and blows enough heat out to make me a bit uncomfortable sitting about eight feet away from it.

It's neat I can turn off the heat in the room when it's on, but kinda concerned about summertime.

In contrast, my XBone has always been relatively quiet.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12546 on: April 21, 2018, 10:12:49 PM

Is that a slim or original full-sized one? My full-sized PS4 standing vertically never did that when I was playing Horizon Zero Dawn on it.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12547 on: April 21, 2018, 11:07:44 PM

No spoilers, but here's a useful hint - do all the side shit as you come across it, since the game does not let you go back to revisit areas. I've just finished the first part, and followed the story instead of doing all of the crap on the fringes, thinking I should follow the kid and then I'd be able to go back and grab the things. Nope.
I don't know. There's a door you come across early on that implies you can come back to later. But yeah you do want to explore the side areas which have stuff you can loot and collect.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #12548 on: April 22, 2018, 07:39:58 AM

There are a whole bunch of things (mirror doors, red/blue vines, etc) that are not reachable when you first find them (I don't know the details but know it's something that unlocks later), which leaves me pretty convinced there will be opportunities to circle back.  That said, I explore as much as possible so I can upgrade as much as possible along the way...
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12549 on: April 22, 2018, 10:26:22 AM

Is that a slim or original full-sized one? My full-sized PS4 standing vertically never did that when I was playing Horizon Zero Dawn on it.

Older model, and I've got it sitting flat in a (vented) cubby in the entertainment center. I did buy it used though, so I probably need to take it out and give it a good cleaning then put it back in on some rails to lift it up off the shelf. I usually play with headphones so I don't notice the sound until I finish and take them off, then it sounds like Nick Fury is bringing the Helicarrier in for a landing.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #12550 on: April 23, 2018, 07:37:21 AM

Older model, and I've got it sitting flat in a (vented) cubby in the entertainment center. I did buy it used though, so I probably need to take it out and give it a good cleaning then put it back in on some rails to lift it up off the shelf. I usually play with headphones so I don't notice the sound until I finish and take them off, then it sounds like Nick Fury is bringing the Helicarrier in for a landing.
Mine's the same. I opened it up (requires a special screwdriver head though), and blew the dust out several months back when it was giving me similar problems. I suspect it's time to do it again.
Maledict
Terracotta Army

Reply #12551 on: April 23, 2018, 11:20:42 AM

Picked up God of War after all of the fawning reviews and played it for a bit.

The game seems ok so far. I'm not especially far in but after all of the "the kid won't be annoying" publicity, all I can say is I wish the kid would SHUT. THE. FUCK. UP.
I personally find the kid's American accent really grating as well - ruins immersion for me pretty badly. I'd much prefer a scandi accent but I'm sure most of the US audience won't really notice.

Combat (so far) is merely okay. It's not bad, but it's not the second coming.

There is nothing missable in the game. You can return to any area of the game.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12552 on: April 23, 2018, 05:06:22 PM

Yeah, I think ARAM is the only place on LOL where you will see actual human like behavior because it has no real stakes attached.

This is what I like about Mystery Heroes in Overwatch.  Even more so than Quick Play, nobody gets their panties in a wad because you can always blame a loss on the RNG, and more importantly you don't have people bitching about team comp or fighting over who gets to be Brigitte.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #12553 on: April 24, 2018, 05:21:11 PM

About all I play is random heroes but man for stretches of time that mode decides to be less random and more of a playlist of 3-5 heroes I really really don't like playing on infinite loop.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12554 on: April 24, 2018, 09:23:23 PM

Been playing a bit of God of War. It's pretty good, but it gets bogged down a bit with all the "search all these big areas for loot, crafting, and side quests" stuff.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12555 on: April 25, 2018, 06:12:16 AM

Since I enjoyed my day hunting in Far Cry 5 at least as much as, if not more than, the rest of the game, I decided to pick up the Hunter on sale. I don't need a heck of a lot of framework to enjoy a game that involves hanging out in the woods, I've found.

I winged my first two deer and chased them all over the map before stumbling across a deer bedding zone and hunkering down for an easy kill before going to bed. Going to take a bit of getting used to the more sim-like gameplay coming from FC5, but I like my initial experience.

Still playing FC5, there is a ton of stuff to do in that one. I'm not one to 100% stuff, especially when it's wonky (flight suit and driving can bite me). But I will probably nail most of the stuff in this one, since it's a framework for the aforementioned hanging out in the woods.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12556 on: April 26, 2018, 10:53:33 AM

Well, the War Bow seems a bit overpowered in Elex. Now that I've put some effort into getting it two upgrades, it's chewing through anything I throw at it. Groups of mobs can still be an issue, and I've made myself rather poor from all of the Elex potions (as well as making myself a human robot).

I got my first real flamefest in an ARAM. I accidentally ran over a health pack while another character was in full retreat and died right on the spot. It was kind of funny, but he proceeded to call me a "jew" for the rest of game. It was kind of amusing; he thought he was doing real damage with those zingers.

You assholes are making me want to get BattleTech NOW. I have heard that it doesn't play nice with 21:9 monitors. Anyone have experience to counter this? If it's like ShadowRun where you just get black bars on the side, that's cool with me.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12557 on: April 26, 2018, 11:51:11 AM

If you just want to OP through Elex, look up the old thread. There's one energy weapon on a certain mode that does knockdown and just trivializes the combat. The melee is actually decent and fun, but very LTP.

I didn't really do Elex potions until about halfway through, I think.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12558 on: April 26, 2018, 12:11:05 PM

Yeah, I caved, I'm installing Battletech now.

I am weak.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #12559 on: April 26, 2018, 12:19:09 PM

That's not caving, that's doing the right thing.

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #12560 on: April 27, 2018, 07:23:53 AM

Yeah, I caved, I'm installing Battletech now.

I am weak.
I'm waiting for a sale. My backlog is gigantic anyways.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12561 on: April 27, 2018, 10:53:08 AM

My front log is gigantic.

I'm really into Stardew because it's pretty much the least stressful thing I can fire up.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12562 on: April 28, 2018, 05:06:47 AM

I’ve been playing Swords of Ditto, a 2D Zelda Rogue-like published by Devolver Digital. Boy is this not a good game. They tried to mesh A Link to the Past with Rogue-like elements and combat that integrates souls-like elements (dodge roll, guard break, uncancelable animations but no block) and topped if off by giving the game a time-limit.

It works about as well as it sounds.

The games does so many little things wrong that the end result is a game we’re the individual influences and game mechanics never really mesh and instead lash against each other.

It also features a few really stupid decisions like for example that you can level your character and that the level is kept for successive runs but that the game adapts the world and the monsters in successive runs to your level. This makes subsequent runs actually harder because higher level enemies have more HP and more specials and the game also spawns more of them.

It’s also a game where you need to level grind each run to be able to play the (level-locked) dungeons, which goes great with the non-resetable time-limit.

I bounced off pretty hard after a few hours
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12563 on: April 28, 2018, 09:44:56 AM

I must be broken because I actually found Stardew stressful due to the way it requires you to be OCD and click on a million things. Plus figuring out what the people in the town want is really annoying at times.
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12564 on: April 29, 2018, 07:52:36 AM

Stardew can be stressful if you're running the farm "properly", i.e. all the farm animals, the full set of crops for that season, the greenhouse, the trees, the cave, plus the seasonal wild offerings.  And the secret forest for hard wood.  Did the pig wagon show up today?  I should hit the desert again.  Plus is it someone's birthday.  Oh lord the kegs are done.  This one's a bit annoying as I am brewing coffee as gifts (everyone likes it, except the two children) and the kegs are done every... 2 hours?  6?  I forget..

Then you run around town trying to keep people happy long enough to max out their relationship with you, or at least get everyone to 7, so they'll send you all of their recipes.

I certainly understand the problem.

I figure it's a year or two in-game of stress, then it'll settle down again.  Once the friendships hit max, they no longer decay.  Once you've hit whatever achievements you're looking accomplish, you can plant whatever crops you really need.  Maybe get rid of some of the farm animals, since you only need a couple of things from them.  Once you bring the farm far enough along, you never need to visit the desert dungeon for iridium again.  Unless you really want to.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: