Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:10:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172831 times)
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12495 on: April 02, 2018, 09:28:53 AM

I was riding along in the back of a pickup being driven by a fellow named Hurk. Someone messaged me on Steam so I jumped out to respond. When I jumped back in, I accidentally shot Hurk through the back of the head with a .44

Hurk fell out of the truck. I walked over, helped him back to his feet (he thanked me) and we got back in. We drove off and eventually completed the mission of retrieving his Daddy's campaign truck.

Hurk drove us back to Daddy's house. Jess and I got out and walked over to tell Daddy about our success. Hurk then drove the truck off of a cliff and exploded. We failed the mission.

I'm fairly certain I've seen that Tarantino movie.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #12496 on: April 02, 2018, 10:16:13 AM

A number of my pubg matches came to mind actually  why so serious?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12497 on: April 02, 2018, 07:11:25 PM

OH FUCK do I hate the "you have no choice but to be captured and tormented by the bad guy" thing that the Far Cry series is just goddamn addicted to. It's such a bad gaming trope.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12498 on: April 02, 2018, 08:22:49 PM

Yeah, that shit got old really quick.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12499 on: April 03, 2018, 01:18:02 AM

OH FUCK do I hate the "you have no choice but to be captured and tormented by the bad guy" thing that the Far Cry series is just goddamn addicted to. It's such a bad gaming trope.

It's the "we wrote this story so we make damn sure you listen to it" Trope of open world games.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12500 on: April 03, 2018, 04:32:58 AM

Sick and tired of Fallout 4 doing the "Game hangs in transit so you are stuck watching something spin forever" thing. Would love to put on the unofficial patch but you need all the DLC for that. Grr.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12501 on: April 03, 2018, 05:00:47 AM

It's just so freaking stupid, and the Far Cry people have an especially dumb version of it that they're hooked on. Like, ok, my stealthy guy has been sneaking through the base and then he just walks up to a door with a window in it and waves at John Seed? I don't try to unlock it? I don't try to blow up the door with the dynamite I found? I don't wait and quietly see if maybe he's going to come out again? And then I get the whole speech about wrath and yadda yadda yadda. I fucking hate it. It throws me out of the game entirely, it's absolutely clownshoes writing. It's enough to make me just bag the whole thing, honestly.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12502 on: April 03, 2018, 08:46:34 AM

I dig this redneck chick I found out in the woods so much I see her as my main companion in the game. They probably reuse her VO work for lots of the randomized NPCs (I've seen at least one physical twin of her), but she's pure gold. Even the fiancee likes Amy. She just loves to cuss and shoot shit (and she taunts and revives me at full health). I've altered my usual stealth style because it's more fun pulling up in Death Wish and letting her rip with the big gun while chanting USA! USA!

Such a fun game.

I tried using Dogmeat (whatever) but he wouldn't jump in the truck with me, and 'round these parts we roll in Death Wish. Also seems to have been a timer on a story mission that I missed.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12503 on: April 03, 2018, 10:07:03 AM

Yeah, most of the time it seems that if an NPC says "Let's go do this" they expect you to follow them and do it immediately. I liberated Fall's End last night, and met that preacher for the first time in the bar cutscene that followed.

Boomer, Precious, and Cheeseburger will not get in the truck with you, but they do a pretty good job of keeping up. There's currently a petition on Reddit to let Boomer ride in the truck.  awesome, for real

I played a bit last night with Stewie in co-op, and damn is the wildlife more aggressive when you don't have Jess with you.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12504 on: April 03, 2018, 01:17:22 PM

That's why I keep good ol' randomgen Amy around..."FUCKIN BEAR!! AAAAAAAAAA!"

One of my favorite and most memorable NPCs ever is an unscripted randomgen.

Anyway, it's interesting they've built some robustness into the main quest lines, did you not have the mission where you're helping the preacher before Fall's End is liberated, then? I met him on a mission west of US Auto.

edited to add: And that screenshot I uploaded to Steam...I had just gotten the recipe to make cheap molotovs, so I decided to chuck on at a bear that was mauling that dude...bear caught fire and ran off through the woods, igniting absolutely everything in the area. Me and Amy had to hoof it to get out of the impending wildfire, and I still had to break out the heavy cal to take the bear out as it charged me from the charred remnants.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 01:19:54 PM by Sky »
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12505 on: April 03, 2018, 02:46:26 PM

I basically beelined from the Pumpkin farm all the way down the highway to open up Fall's End. Felt like I needed an established base in the area. I'd already done 3/4 of the north area, so I was pretty tough - but the fights up there were getting hard so I wanted to divert south to earn a few more perks.

Game doesn't seem to care much about what order you do things in, or if you were given a mission. Stewie and I airdropped in to the big Father Statue and blew the shit out of it in his game, just because it seemed like a fun thing to do.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12506 on: April 03, 2018, 04:21:11 PM

There is fantastic and unpredictable emergent behavior. Which is what makes the "time to shoot you with bliss and make you do shit that's narratively required" so fucking dumb. Imagine Skyrim where they constantly interrupt you and force you to go up and talk to the guys on the mountain or make a choice right! now! about whose side you're on or kidnap you in the middle of a dungeon or a dragon fight to listen to a scripted cutscene. That happened to me, literally--I'm on Widowmaker going after one of John Seed's truck convoys and the game decides "it's time for the pre-programmed narrative" so magic bullets knock me out and I get to be in an Eli Roth film for a little bit.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12507 on: April 03, 2018, 07:34:40 PM

I understand the complaint, but it gets the job done as far as spreading the narrative out over the game fairly evenly. In comparison, you get Fallout 3 where I stumbled on to a garage in the middle of nowhere, found a button leading to an underground bunker, and promptly skipped 50% of the main storyline. Realistic, but kind of sucky.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12508 on: April 03, 2018, 07:37:46 PM

Same thing happened to me in Elex.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12509 on: April 03, 2018, 08:39:46 PM

I understand the complaint, but it gets the job done as far as spreading the narrative out over the game fairly evenly. In comparison, you get Fallout 3 where I stumbled on to a garage in the middle of nowhere, found a button leading to an underground bunker, and promptly skipped 50% of the main storyline. Realistic, but kind of sucky.

I would rather have this happen then the awful shit Khaldun's talking about.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12510 on: April 04, 2018, 02:07:02 AM

There's a middle ground between "game taking you hostage and demanding the release of 100 political prisoners" and "accidentally skipping 20 hours of gameplay". Both extremes are bad game design.

You could for example tie access to that bunker to the main story in a way that makes you "naturally" encounter it at the right time. In the same vein there's probably a better way to deliver story to the player than tying them to a chair and forcing them to listen like a Vogon reading poetry to you.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12511 on: April 04, 2018, 11:08:04 AM

In the same vein there's probably a better way to deliver story to the player than tying them to a chair and forcing them to listen like a Vogon reading poetry to you.

Love Letters

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12512 on: April 04, 2018, 11:40:24 AM

There is fantastic and unpredictable emergent behavior. Which is what makes the "time to shoot you with bliss and make you do shit that's narratively required" so fucking dumb. Imagine Skyrim where they constantly interrupt you and force you to go up and talk to the guys on the mountain or make a choice right! now! about whose side you're on or kidnap you in the middle of a dungeon or a dragon fight to listen to a scripted cutscene. That happened to me, literally--I'm on Widowmaker going after one of John Seed's truck convoys and the game decides "it's time for the pre-programmed narrative" so magic bullets knock me out and I get to be in an Eli Roth film for a little bit.

Yes. I’m in a fucking helicopter thousands of feet up and then, boom! Cut scene! You will accept the bliss!

Dafuq?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #12513 on: April 05, 2018, 11:44:09 AM

Hah. I just got a quit message from Surviving Mars saying "Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you."

And no. You still can't learn to play without watching a youtube tutorial.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #12514 on: April 05, 2018, 11:48:02 AM

Sad Panda
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12515 on: April 06, 2018, 03:52:31 PM

Eternal (digital ccg) is running a really great idea, that may need a little bit of fleshing out.

10k gold gets you minimum 11 packs plus probably at least 4 from leaderboard rewards. Its a month long league, basically you start with X pack sealed pool, make a deck, play 10 games + up to 20 tiebreaker games (can't make your placing worse, can help you go higher) then every week or so you get another pack added to your sealed pool and get another set of leaderboard games.

I think.

Its new and I didn't read the fine print, busy week. But either way its pretty sweet. Highly recommend. Like everything else in Eternal limited, you keep what you open.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12516 on: April 06, 2018, 04:09:46 PM

Eternal (digital ccg) is running a really great idea, that may need a little bit of fleshing out.

10k gold gets you minimum 11 packs plus probably at least 4 from leaderboard rewards. Its a month long league, basically you start with X pack sealed pool, make a deck, play 10 games + up to 20 tiebreaker games (can't make your placing worse, can help you go higher) then every week or so you get another pack added to your sealed pool and get another set of leaderboard games.

I think.

Its new and I didn't read the fine print, busy week. But either way its pretty sweet. Highly recommend. Like everything else in Eternal limited, you keep what you open.

Saw this, but don't really understand it.  I'm assuming that the leader will be based on 40 games (10 per week) and the top players differentiated by tie-breaker games. 

Does this sound right to you?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12517 on: April 06, 2018, 08:39:47 PM

Drifted back to modded Skyrim. Running Axe/Shield with only a hint of stealth archery; just finished the civil war for the first time ever. Also cleared the Thieves Guild because fences are important. Starting Companions now; never got far in their story.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #12518 on: April 08, 2018, 07:17:51 PM

I think.

Saw this, but don't really understand it.  I'm assuming that the leader will be based on 40 games (10 per week) and the top players differentiated by tie-breaker games. 

Does this sound right to you?

I believe it may have multiple leaderboards or yes it will work like that. I'm not sure but we will know tomorrow I think?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12519 on: April 09, 2018, 06:40:54 AM

Cleared the Valley in FC5, so I spent my entire session yesterday just flying around enjoying the view and doing some hunting and fishing. It's nice that it seems like chapters, so you can relax and enjoy the open world a bit between them.

My random npc archer companion did decide that flaming arrows was a good hunting choice, though. Not sure I agree.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #12520 on: April 10, 2018, 07:36:38 AM

My daughter bought Rocket League using her steam monies. After my usual bought of frustration with PUBG was over for the night I ended up playing this for two hours straight. Hah.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12521 on: April 10, 2018, 09:58:55 AM

I quit FC5 the moment I saw what the final confrontation was all about. Not interested in doing this particular schtick again--I hated the similar version of it in FC3, these guys are hung up on doing this same bullshit each time in their games. Not going to be buying an FC again ever. And that's liking a lot of what they have in their games.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12522 on: April 10, 2018, 11:39:54 AM

Care to give us a spoiler? The shine wore off on FC3 before I got to the end but I've been debating picking up 5.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12523 on: April 10, 2018, 12:53:38 PM

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12524 on: April 10, 2018, 12:57:12 PM

Ugh, wow that is stupid. I remember hearing that about FC3 too, now that you mention it. Can't we just have our sandbox modern-Nazi-killing sims without weird hallucinatory plot twists and "ohoho the writers are so clever" moments?

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12525 on: April 10, 2018, 01:10:52 PM

If the goal was to make me feel bad about gaming itself and to consider not buying more games, I suppose they could count it a creative success. I feel self-loathing for having enjoyed any part of the experience. Congrats, Far Cry developers, well-played.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2018, 01:14:31 PM by Khaldun »
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12526 on: April 10, 2018, 04:41:46 PM

Cleared the Valley in FC5, so I spent my entire session yesterday just flying around enjoying the view and doing some hunting and fishing. It's nice that it seems like chapters, so you can relax and enjoy the open world a bit between them.

My random npc archer companion did decide that flaming arrows was a good hunting choice, though. Not sure I agree.

They released their first 'live event' a little while ago (kill x animals with fire) and I finally got around to doing it.  Not gonna lie - shooting cows with incendiary ammo at night in a grass field is fucking hilarious every fucking time, since the cows run off leaving a blazing trail of fire.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #12527 on: April 12, 2018, 09:39:19 PM

Fuck, really? I just finished off the last underboss.

Fuck that. I'm going back to The Division.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12528 on: April 12, 2018, 11:23:32 PM

Ohh wow, that's brutal. I don't see myself getting it until a deep discount now.

Finished Shadow Run: Hong Kong.  Wish I didn't go half pistol/half decker.  Decker was useless with how good Is0bel was. Would have rather gone long range DPS and just left Duncan on the boat. Gaichu was fun to bring when I could swing it. Anyhow, this one wasn't as good as Dragonfall. They got the talk to action balance wrong, and the matrix implementation was complete ass. Still, it was fun for what it was, and the story was kind of neat.

Now onto.. Elex maybe. AC4? Buy a PS4 because my wife bought a ridiculously expensive coat?

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12529 on: April 13, 2018, 06:51:39 AM

Who plays open world games for the story? It's a fun game, well worth the dough.

I just skip over the Seed family cut scene stuff.

I mean, other than the Witcher 3 and maybe Planescape Torment, writing in video games is horrible trash. It would be like obsessing over the writing in a space opera. Kind of missing the point of the experience, in my opinion.
Pages: 1 ... 356 357 [358] 359 360 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: