Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:33:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172777 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12390 on: February 15, 2018, 07:38:29 PM

Got 100% in LEGO City Undercover.  Playing LEGO Marvel 2 with the wife.  Also ARK on a private server with several adjustments to make it much less tedious.  Also casually spending time with AC Origins.

Need to pick up Wolfenstein again.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12391 on: February 16, 2018, 10:51:21 PM

So this new Metal Gear Solid abomination is kind of fun? I'm afraid to play with randoms, someone join me.  Beta is this weekend.

-Rasix
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #12392 on: February 18, 2018, 04:15:32 PM

Playing XCOM2 again, Monster Hunter World, and the SNES Classic I picked up when I was at Best Buy and just happened to notice one in stock. I got a RPi with emulators on it but I left it at a friend's place.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #12393 on: February 18, 2018, 05:25:37 PM

Replaying Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne which I consider one of the very best games ever made. It was wonderful to find out it works so well with the PS2 emulator, and in fact it looks better than ever due to 8x resolution. Also, saving wherever you want is what was needed not to lose your mind over a few too many Hama and Mudo.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12394 on: February 18, 2018, 05:29:09 PM

Loving Subnautica right up to the point I have to take the fucking cyclops down into the lava area. At which point it seriously starts to suck--I should feel excited, instead I'm just annoyed, mostly.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #12395 on: February 18, 2018, 06:07:20 PM

What is Subnautica like? No Man's Sky in water?

Rasix

Reply #12396 on: February 18, 2018, 06:29:52 PM

Loving Subnautica right up to the point I have to take the fucking cyclops down into the lava area. At which point it seriously starts to suck--I should feel excited, instead I'm just annoyed, mostly.

Just use the Prawn. I parked my Cyclops in down in the lost river. Pretty sure it was at about 900m. It's really too tight down there and the ghost leviathans aren't fun in that sucker. You'll need the Prawn anyhow for the kyanite nodes.

Just make sure it's well upgraded with the drill arm, grappling hook, upgrade jump jet, and it does pay to bring the thermal energy mod as well.

What is Subnautica like? No Man's Sky in water?

Best description might be that it's an underwater, exploration and crafting based survival sandbox that's story driven as well. The map is fairly static although there is some variance in resource node spawning and your actual spawn point of your escape pod.

You're stranded on an alien planet that is mostly ocean, and you've got to find a way to get home. That's the driving thrust. There's also some other mysteries to uncover. Most things push you toward exploring different and deeper areas of the ocean. "Combat" is mostly avoidance and deterrence outside of small animals and plants you can kill for sustenance.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:31:42 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12397 on: February 19, 2018, 05:05:16 AM

Yeah, I should have just parked the Cyclops in Lost River. Live and learn, I guess. But it's a design mistake on their part--it adds an element of annoyance at a moment when you want players to be the opposite of annoyed.

Subnautica is kind of the opposite of No Man's Sky, at any rate--it's carefully designed and there's a clear progression in the exploration, with a subtle underlying narrative. But I think it's not going to have much replayability.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12398 on: February 19, 2018, 05:51:46 AM

Alas, it doesn't really.  I played it over and over as they were adding new bits to it and fleshing it out.

Then I completed it and haven't been back since.

I look forward to the follow up tho.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #12399 on: February 21, 2018, 01:00:08 AM

I sunk about 50 hours into Subnautica over the 4 day weekend, finishing the main questline Monday evening.  It was a ton of fun.  Yeah not a huge pile of replayability, but on the other hand the sense of place you got from this entirely hand-crafted environment was fantastic.  I only poked at it a tiny bit during early access, so went in almost entirely cold and had a ton of fun.

My staging base off of the Lost River for mid-to-late game stuff:

https://imgur.com/a/QDbAU (more)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:02:53 AM by Quinton »
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #12400 on: February 21, 2018, 01:08:26 PM

30 to 40 minutes of world of tanks maybe 3 nights a week is about all I can stomach these days.  I think the time has finally come.  I am simply not interested in video games.  Ohhhhh, I see.
I hang out in Discord from time to time with the core group of people I have been gaming with for many years.  They are still going at it but I just can't find any real interest in gaming.  I guess it is a good thing? I am 45 and it is not like any of the people I spend time with on a daily basis game so...

It is a bit odd to think back on games like EQ, DAOC, Shadowbane, WoW, GW2 etc. and to just ponder about how many thousands and thousands of hours were spend during my 20s to early 40s in front of a screen "gaming".  To be honest it makes me shudder Get off my lawn!

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12401 on: February 21, 2018, 08:40:58 PM

Poor Fraeg.  I kind of know what you mean, though.  I started getting really bored with everything a few months ago.  I flitted from MMORPG to JRPG to just about anything RPG and couldn't stay interested.  It's a very sad situation.  So a couple of weeks ago or so, I started playing survival/crafting/building game, mostly the non horror/zombie ones.  I found them more satisfying.  Especially the ones offering a single player option.  Still, nowhere near the enjoyment I used to get from gaming.  Lately I've been thinking of trying a new MMO sort of game that I haven't ever played but it's hard to find one that looks good.  I'll try something and even have a bit of fun but I find that I don't have any motivation to log in again.  Bleh. 

Yesterday I played a couple of hours of Conan Exiles.  I cheated, too.   Ohhhhh, I see.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #12402 on: February 22, 2018, 03:24:11 AM

When I quit WoW back in 2013 I went through the same thing. All of my friends who kept me gaming had gone so it was a slow decline. I occasionally play an old game and did season 12 of Diablo III but I just don’t have the inclination or desire to spend most of my time gaming anymore. Maybe my parents insisting I’d grow out of it finally happened at almost 40...

My biggest problem is I can’t sit in a chair for hours on end anymore as it hurts my joints...
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12403 on: February 22, 2018, 04:12:40 AM

I was in the same funk when I finally stopped playing MMOs and MOBAs. I also have 3 kids now so gaming time is at a minimum. I'll probably end up buying a switch some time in the next year.

In any case, I now go through spurts in games like Path of Exile and games like Slay the Spire where I can get fun gaming sessions in small chunks.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12404 on: February 22, 2018, 05:22:58 AM

The hard thing for me is that I just can't bear stuff that I have to learn an elaborate set of moves for, because I just may not have the time to play them consistently enough to remember what to do next time. I started Horizon Dawn and three times now I've had to go back over the basic shooting, jumping, etc. stuff because it's been a week and a half since the last time. If it's on console, I can only justify hogging the TV for a little while.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12405 on: February 22, 2018, 09:59:40 AM

I'm dabbling with a little bit of SWTOR and it is really striking how little you can get done in a normal gaming timeframe. I really like the game, but there's so much filler time, it's just not a genre I can get into anymore. Similar thing when I found an art friend was into GW2. Great game, but way too time-sinky.

Minecraft is also kind of time-sinky, but for me it's much more of a relaxing 'hanging out building an insane town' kind of thing, I guess. Way more easy to jump in and out, get short term things done or work on long term projects as time allows.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12406 on: February 22, 2018, 06:31:33 PM

Done with Subnautica. Trying Stellaris with the new expansion tonight.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12407 on: February 22, 2018, 08:42:20 PM

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #12408 on: February 24, 2018, 06:22:26 PM

Hey F13! Long time no chat. After a massive hiatus on gaming during which I also stopped playing eve, I’ve recently picked up a switch and started playing my PS4.

Playing:

BotW what a good game. I know nothing about zeldas and love it.
Persona 5 cause Schild showed me a persona game once and it was cool, almost finished this.
SotC remake is also so good.
Bayonetta 2 but it’s hard to play the way I use my switch mobile cause there’s always someone beside me on the train looking askance as the witch dives crotch first into the camera.
Bloodborne. I’m no better at this than any DS game.

So yeah, playing all the all-star shit from last year and loving it. Switch is awesome too, I should hook it up to my tv someday.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #12409 on: February 24, 2018, 06:53:06 PM

SotC remake is very good and extremely pretty. However, the newer remapped controls made the game a whole lot easier to me. No complaints, I just wish it was a bit tougher.

It has been cold in Seattle so I have spent a good portion of the last three days wrapped in blankets and playing Skyrim on the Switch in bed.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #12410 on: February 24, 2018, 07:44:02 PM

Oh and Fraeg or anyone else, I had the same thing, hence the hiatus. I spent thousand of hours in eve, Daoc etc.  and just got to the point where those and FPS/rpg’s weren’t enjoyable anymore. After a break I’m really enjoying a bunch of games in genres I never really explored. It happens. Maybe buy a switch and try Mario Kart 8  awesome, for real

(It really is awesome for real)

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #12411 on: February 25, 2018, 02:38:22 AM

Just finished Season 1 of The Walking Dead. What an experience. Found it hard to play at times, because of the choices you have to make, but definitely worth it.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12412 on: February 25, 2018, 07:50:19 PM

So, as somebody who never played the original SotC, is it ok to start with the remake as my first exposure?  Or will I be losing something?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
schild
Administrator

Reply #12413 on: February 25, 2018, 07:58:21 PM

So, as somebody who never played the original SotC, is it ok to start with the remake as my first exposure?  Or will I be losing something?

Don’t play the original unless you like slowdown. Like 3fps in places. Just get the newest remake.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #12414 on: February 26, 2018, 04:26:41 PM

Oh and Fraeg or anyone else, I had the same thing, hence the hiatus. I spent thousand of hours in eve, Daoc etc.  and just got to the point where those and FPS/rpg’s weren’t enjoyable anymore. After a break I’m really enjoying a bunch of games in genres I never really explored. It happens. Maybe buy a switch and try Mario Kart 8  awesome, for real

(It really is awesome for real)

Played it with nephew who wiped the floor with me, yeah the switch and Mario Kart 8 is awesome... smug little 9 year olds not so much :D

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Rasix

Reply #12415 on: March 08, 2018, 10:04:38 PM

Currently on NG+ for Xenoblade Chronicles 2. Now I'm skipping cutscenes and seeing how fast I can power through the plot. Characters were all lvl 99 with decent-ish gear. Still missing one goddamn rare blade.

I played Darkest Dungeon for a while, but it kind of got boring. I should have probably gotten on a tablet or the Switch (bit overpriced). Once the novelty of the game play loop wore off, it just started being more of a chore than fun/interesting.

Tried Tales of Zesteria.  I really can't do two anime flavored JRPGs at once. This title has a lot of jank to it. Lot of weird systems with equally weird justification for their inclusion. I'll probably go back to it sometime.

What I'd really like is something with an experience akin to Subnautica. Something with exploration, discovery, survival and maybe a hint of story thrown in.

-Rasix
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12416 on: March 09, 2018, 03:22:27 AM

Kinda debating my next gaming purchase. I'm looking at either fallout 4 or Subnatica. I haven't played the Witcher 3 since I bought it, and really it was "Ok here is the combat tutorial... ok here are the 400 ways of fighting you need to learn" And I got a definite feeling of "ffs I just want to swing my sword and kill shit. I'm too old for this fucking Bollox." At least with fallout I could wander about and not have to learn how to reposte and do Errol Flynn impressions with a fucking machine gun.

I probably should just play the Witcher on baby easy mode and admit once again that I suck due to stiff hands and old age.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12417 on: March 09, 2018, 04:08:29 AM

I don't like overly complex combat either but I found the Witcher 3 pretty easy to get the hang of. But the story is good enough that you should in fact just turn it on super easy mode and play it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12418 on: March 09, 2018, 07:17:15 AM

I found Witcher 3 was much easier to get into from that respect. Oddly, that's exactly the reason I never played through Witcher 2, tutorial overload. But I agree that it's worth pushing through with 3, the Baron story alone is the high water mark in rpgs for me.

Finished off the last bit of the Jedi Knight story in SWTOR, I was like 95% of the way there from last time I played. Contemplating a smuggler run, not sure I want to continue into the post-launch story content rather than running through the remaining 4 story lines (smuggler, warrior, trooper, consular).

Still enjoying the Awakening modpack. Even though it's 1.7, it's forcing me to play in a very different way, which is usually interesting in minecraft. At first I was miffed at the removal of Big Reactors (as the modpack author is one of those 'shouldn't be too trivial' guys), but Advanced Generators has been ok enough.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12419 on: March 09, 2018, 07:57:02 AM

What I'd really like is something with an experience akin to Subnautica. Something with exploration, discovery, survival and maybe a hint of story thrown in.

Have you tried The Long Dark since it got released? I've played through about an hour or so before other stuff got in the way and it was good. Very survival focused (as in get food and water and warmth) but with a story.

Since they dropped the price of X-Com 2 War of the Chosen enough to make me jump, I bought it and finally started a playthrough.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12420 on: March 09, 2018, 08:06:00 AM

I can really recommend The Long Dark for a wee Subnautica type playthrough.

Though you ARE going to die.  There's nothing at all you will gain at the end EVER.

But I kinda like that.  Running around in the cold and dark with a pointless existence is pretty much the definition of Scottish.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12421 on: March 09, 2018, 09:52:55 AM

That's why I like the opening of Project Zomboid, 'this is the story of how you died'. No pretense of surviving.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12422 on: March 09, 2018, 02:53:48 PM

Going to give the Sea of Thieves final beta a whirl. An art friend is playing and the ocean graphics just looked to sweet to pass up.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #12423 on: March 11, 2018, 05:29:28 PM

Giving Fire Emblem Warriors a try. I mostly liked Hyrule Warriors, but thought it was a weird fit for this type of game and maybe it would work better with an FE story.  Unfortunately, FE Warriors is not an FE story, it's some kind of homage to FE stories, some crossover thing where characters from the other FE games are all warped in to some other world.  The problem is that I don't really know any of them, even the ones from games I've beaten I have trouble remembering details about.  With Hyrule Warriors, if you've played A Zelda Game at any point you know who Link is and who Zelda and Ganon are, so it doesn't really matter if you don't recognize Malon from Link's Awakening or something.  But with FE Warriors, half the missions begin or end with some guy in armor I've never seen before kicking down the door and going "Now these evil jerks will have to deal with ME!" and then turning to the camera and pausing, like they expect the studio audience to start whistling and applauding wildly going "oh, it's THAT guy, AWESOME".  Plus, the gameplay is just SUPER jerky, this was an issue I had with Hyrule Warriors too so maybe it's a Dynasty Warriors "thing" but the game is ALWAYS stopping to show you a tutorial or pop up a new objective or show you that a character has leveled up or that the button you pushed did a thing or something, which completely wrecks the flow of combat.  Trying to dodge an attack, in the middle of a combo, or something like that?  Too bad.

Also giving Metal Gear Survive a shot... I'm not really liking it so far, I've heard it's kind of slow to get started so maybe it gets better later, but so far I'm not feeling it.  It was kind of a gamble getting a Kojima-less Metal Gear, but the gameplay in MGS5 was probably the most fun I've had in years, I loved all that base building and resource gathering stuff, so I thought maybe this would be a fun side-series.  But there are just so many minor little snags everywhere it's hard for me to enjoy it yet.  The gunplay is fun, but guns are super expensive to fire at my early point in the game, so I'm mostly stuck with melee weapons, which are SUPER clunky in this engine.  The tutorial is incredibly obnoxious (constant pop ups, voice overs by people doing that really stilted fake robot voice), your character dies in two or three hits and there is no checkpointing so you go back to the save from the last time you left your base every time this happens, the interface is really obnoxious for KB/M users, hunger and thirst meters drop constantly and super fast so there's always a huge time pressure and I still don't know how to make water that won't poison me so I'm always vomiting and shoving more food and dirty water in my face and getting more sick and ugh.  A lot of what made MGS5 so fun was the experimentation, which was possible because the game was fairly forgiving with regards to resources.  This game is so much harder to survive and so much more of a setback to die and so much more work to find resources that it makes it really hard to enjoy so far.

The crafting is kind of funny, though. I don't have a whole lot of experience with these sorts of games, mostly Subnautica and Starbound, where your character has a kind of replicator thing that makes gear for them.  Here, though Puking Snake (or whatever his name is) gets stranded in Hell Planet and within a few hours has Robinson Crusoe-d a freaking 9mm semiautomatic with just his bare hands for tools and some empty buckets for raw materials.  There's some giant zombie monster out there somewhere, and I really hope that the idea is to have the player work their way up to build their own anti-zombie Metal Gear, and ride around on top of it shouting "MACGYVER IS A GIANT PUSSY".  But probably not.  Sigh.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:32:53 PM by Kail »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12424 on: March 13, 2018, 06:52:41 AM

Started playing Soul Worker, a KMMO that just launched in the US. It's got a lot wrong with it, including a shitty mobile-style energy system, but a few RL friends are playing it and the combat feels good.

Playing Radiant Historia on 3DS as well; it's very linear for a game about time travel, but it's pretty fun.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: