Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172740 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #12320 on: January 15, 2018, 07:48:57 AM

I feel like I'd like something in that space--that had other players, that wasn't sociopathic, that wasn't full of zombies, that let you build interesting things, that had a big world to explore with lots of surprises.

One of the really off-putting things about some of the big games in this domain is the "if you're offline, people can kill you/rob you/lock you up and destroy everything you've built" approach to persistance. That seems like such a bad bad idea at the core of it, even though I get how that makes persistence into something really...persistent!

Persistent multiplayer Kerbal Space Program sounds awesome though.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12321 on: January 15, 2018, 08:55:57 AM

socially-acceptable reason to shun people

Oxymoron much?

More LEGO.  This time Marvel 2.

I did start up Darklands yesterday.  I need to be sent on business trips so I will even play it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12322 on: January 15, 2018, 09:04:45 AM

I feel like I'd like something in that space--that had other players, that wasn't sociopathic, that wasn't full of zombies, that let you build interesting things, that had a big world to explore with lots of surprises.

One of the really off-putting things about some of the big games in this domain is the "if you're offline, people can kill you/rob you/lock you up and destroy everything you've built" approach to persistance. That seems like such a bad bad idea at the core of it, even though I get how that makes persistence into something really...persistent!

I'm in the same boat; I'll play with F13ers or RL friends/family but otherwise I have no time for games like this involving strangers. I really wanted to get into ARK, but it's not really viable solo and it didn't get a lot of interest here.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12323 on: January 15, 2018, 09:36:15 AM

I haven't bought ARK and I think about it but then I read another negative review and don't bother.  I've spent a very little bit of time on Conan and that might be okay.  At least you look good naked in that game.  Well, at least us females do.  And there's a single player mode.  I also have a game named Force of Nature that I haven't tried yet.  I bought it cheap and it's still only $8.  The look of it isn't exactly what I want but it's acceptable.  I'll probably take a look at it today.  These sorts of games tend to baffle me a bit and I need that single player mode or no pvp mode to sort out the mechanics.  It's even worse for sad people with no groove. 

Also, like Rendakor, I'll play with F13 people or my family/friends but I want the general public out of my face.  At least in the beginning.  I am also an oxymoron. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #12324 on: January 15, 2018, 01:03:58 PM

I thought I would, but haven't yet, give Conan Exiles another go since they claim to have worked hard on it since my last bout.  I'm wondering whether to use a few mods that have been made to make it a bit easier to get started and play in single player mode.  I haven't been playing much of anything lately.  I can't seem to maintain interest.  I play some of my past MMORPGs and twenty minute :sad_panda:s later I've wandered off.  I've modded the fuck out of some but eventually I lose interest.  I feel like a dinosaur waiting for a meteor.  

I think maybe a survival game that isn't horror, has crafting, building, single player or no pvp and can be played casually.  But not one of those cartoon-y or block-y ones.  Nothing too intense.  Is that Conan?

I have no groove left.  

I've always dropped into Conan as a single player and enjoyed it in small bursts, but it is no 7 Days to Die.

Have you tried Subnautica? Unless you have a phobia about water/drowning I wouldn't call it horror, and it is a fun underwater outpost builder game, with a bit of a plot.

Added bonus, it is out of early access on the 23rd, and I think is feature complete now.

Quick Edit: and it's a beautiful game, if you like underwater scenery.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12325 on: January 16, 2018, 02:36:37 AM

It's a horror game once one of those big fishy bastards grab your seamoth and throw it about like a tin can.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12326 on: January 16, 2018, 12:27:48 PM

So my sister or someone gave 7 Days to Die ages ago and I never played it and forgot it was there.  I can make it so no zombies spawn and get used to the building, crafting and controls.  The crafting is so easy I could do it in a coma.  Maybe that bit will get more interesting in the future.  I've only played an hour or so.  I can't seem to get the controller to work though.  It looks fun and when I turn it into the intended game, I'm sure it'll be even better.  I like games like this that lets me control most things... like spawn rates and difficulty.  The fact that, so far, the crafting times aren't horrendously long... those are the times I tend to wander off... is a plus.  Thanks for the suggestions, guys.  I love you all pretty hard.   

Next time Subnautica and/or Rust go cheap I may pick one up.  I don't know what a seamoth is.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12327 on: January 16, 2018, 07:33:40 PM

socially-acceptable reason to shun people

Oxymoron much?
Of course, but not just then. As an 'ambivert' I like to be a bit social, but then shun people when I want to. "I'm going home to work on my infrastructure in minecraft" or "I'm going to paint some miniatures" gets a look from mainstream people. "Going home to work on my drawing in the studio" gets support and praise.

I'm comfortable with the former, but it's refreshing to hear the latter.

Anyway. I'm onboard with Signe's quest, too. So far 7 Days seems to gel the best, though the building lacks what I've become used to in minecraft (modded out of course). And yeah, it's really configurable, so you can get it tweaked nicely, to the point where you can remove specific mobs, or nerf mob classes, or just dial back run speed on dogs or whatever. Really nice.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12328 on: January 17, 2018, 01:24:39 AM

I don't know what a seamoth is.

It's a mini-sub that you build and then you feel all smug and secure because the smaller fishes can no longer eat you and you think you're the big boss man of the sea and then you meet some of the bigger bastards.

There's always a bigger fish.

/quigon.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12329 on: January 17, 2018, 08:56:30 AM

You get a sub?  That's pretty awesome.

I got an email from Steam that "Solace Crafting", a survival/building/RPG-ish game that was on my watch list, has been released to early access.  It's only one man making it but he seems to have done a lot and is serious about it.  I like the bits that I've seen in videos... I especially like the little map that shows you how your placing things.  He seems to be able to get more done alone than a lot of dev teams I've followed.  So far, although so far in this instance means five or six people, everyone who reviewed it liked it.  Well, since it's only been alive for a few hours or so, that's no great shakes.  I'm still interested though.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12330 on: January 18, 2018, 09:36:46 AM

LEGO Marvel 2 was designed by crazy people.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12331 on: January 18, 2018, 01:01:35 PM

Finished the main story of Xenoblade Chronicles 2. This was a very well done JRPG. I'd highly recommend it to anyone that can stomach the genre. It's more anime-ish that most stuff I've played outside of Persona, but that honestly didn't detract from it outside of the early "I just won this fight but the cut scene says I lost". You can continue to play after beating it: it just marks your save, updates your title screen (which changes as you progress through the story), and dumps you outside the last fight. Some new bosses are unlocked when you get to the end of the game, so you can grind to your heart's content. Levels end at 99, but you can still max affinities and work on farming better gear.

Now to find something else to obsess over. I've been jumping from long game completion to long game completion for a while now it seems.

-Rasix
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12332 on: January 18, 2018, 01:14:42 PM

Dark Souls still kicking my ass.  One step forward, two back.  Took me hours to get out of Blighttown after killing the boss today and then I found out that I've probably seriously dicked my dps with my weapon choice.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12333 on: January 19, 2018, 02:16:14 PM

I remember the halcyon days of Blighttown.

Godspeed, fucker.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12334 on: January 19, 2018, 03:58:12 PM

I have such strange feelings about that game. I have to give it so much credit for creating a distinctive world AND distinctive feeling of game play. On the other hand, it's so massively unintuitive, e.g., you have got to read up on all the things you're supposed to do and even then some of them are hard. It's a bit like Monster Hunter in that way. I think I've said it before, but it's like the ultimate evolution of Dragon's Lair, where you have to memorize all the patterns and do them just right.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12335 on: January 20, 2018, 11:45:03 AM

Wow.

I hadn't really thought of that one.  Not a perfect analogy, but some parallels are there.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #12336 on: January 22, 2018, 07:59:14 PM

The last section of Divinity is not that much fun.

Alas, so close to being a great game!

I'm playing a bit of CS:GO again, but not especially enjoying it.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #12337 on: January 22, 2018, 09:00:55 PM

I'm playing a bit of CS:GO again, but not especially enjoying it.

Yeah I can't get into the hyper-twitchy FPSs anymore. PUBG is about as shooty as I can handle.

- Viin
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12338 on: January 23, 2018, 05:11:30 AM

Yeah, that last part of Divinity takes all the complexity and challenge of the combat and dials it to a no-fun place.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #12339 on: January 23, 2018, 05:58:49 PM

Yeah, that last part of Divinity takes all the complexity and challenge of the combat and dials it to a no-fun place.

I have a couple of major gripes with Divinity: OS 2.

1. Crafting is an inventory bloat with no fun elements at all and serves no point in a single player turn based combat RPG - even if you like crafting it is underdeveloped as a system here.

2. Equipment scales waaaaay too quickly, and it makes getting sweet loot less fun, as it will either be outdated the moment you get it, or you'll be stuck with underperforming gear for most of the game because it will be outdated the moment you get it... but you won't find any replacements soon enough.

3. They have a preferred or expected way everyone will play through the game, and make the levels of enemies, gear, etc all tie in with this. But then they provide almost zero signposts or gates to point players to play in this manner. So you end up solving quests in ways which make no sense, and out-level content too easily.

4. The final act is unfinished, involves unfun and nonsensical puzzles to some extent (tied in with point #3), and has some bugs.

5. The should have made the companion chat promote itself a bit more, rather than have to be lead by you, and they should have put in some inter-companion content.

6. The game doesn't teach you some of its basic concepts or fun elements, and you can go most of the game without knowing the exist.

Despite all this, the game is great fun and the best RPG for my tastes I've played in a long long long time.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:01:38 PM by lamaros »
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12340 on: January 24, 2018, 12:48:41 AM

Finished up a playthrough of the Krynn Gold Box games which I haven't revisited anywhere near as much as the Pools series. I've always thought that the Krynn games a bit meandering and not as cohesive as the other Gold Box stuff, but man Dark Queen of Krynn was really a slog to get through this time around. That is just not a good game.
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

Reply #12341 on: January 25, 2018, 12:22:43 PM

Playing Dungeons 3.  It's like a mashup of Dungeon Keeper 2 and perhaps Warcraft 2.  Insanely cheesy voice-overs, and scores of horrible jokes in the narrative aside, it's definitely scratches the Dungeon Keeper itch and it pretty fun to play with good mission variety.

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12342 on: January 29, 2018, 11:42:28 PM

I bought an Xbox One X, mostly because I wanted a 4K/HDR capable streaming device that also could play UHD BluRay discs as a companion to my 4K Sony TV.

It's undoubtedly a very Microsoft experience.

I didn't have that much time to play with it, just did the initial setup, tried YouTube and Netflix and a few BluRays and tried a few games via backwards compatability. I'd like to have a few words with the persons responsible for the UI and usability concept though. "Cluttered" is an understatement. The amount of MS advertorial content is entirely to much for a device I paid $600 for and the UI is a rather confusing mess that somehow can't decide what button I should use to access some function and that can't really be cleaned up. It's also like Windows 10, it shouws me a lot of ads for things I already own or subscribed to. (It still wants me to subscribe to Live Gold even though I already have a subscription and it's active on my account, just like my Win 10 Box that still tries to get me to sign up to Office 365 even though I already did)

The 4k setup was easy though. The system autodetects most settings correctly and even shows you what your TV supports. Nice: It even includes a calibration tool that allows you to do basic video calibration on your TV (contrast, Color etc.) it also includes tips and tutorial Information.

You can't transfer data from your 360 locally at all. The only things the Xbox One transfers is your account info and gamertag and cloud saves

Backwards compatability is a very mixed bag.

It works as advertised with disc based games. Huge drawback is that it doesn't install the game from disc. It just checks the game and game version and then downloads the rest from the MS store. Mas Effect 3 with all DLCs was a whopping 40 GB download. The download is fast if you have the bandwidth. It managed to max out my 50 MBit/s download link but if you have no Access to a broadband connection without data cap or only have a lower Speed DSL connection you are SOL. You can't Transfer from your Xbox 360 or your discs.

Games bought digitally work with caveats. For example I bought the UK versions of Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas from the UK MS store. The XBox One only downloads the German Version from the German Store though. It lists the english DLC but doesn't offrer me the english version of the game even though I legally own it.

In order to get my small library of 360 games up and running the console downloaded about 150 GB of data, Data that is already available locally, either on my 360 or on the original game discs. That's fucked up.

Cortana is disabled which means that speech recoognition doesn't work. That's because the XBox One X comes without Kinect and doesn't include a microphone array in the console itself.

Video playback works fine as far as I could check it but the whole UI is much more of a mess than the PS 4 and Switch UIs.

It's also exceptionally silent it makes less noise than both my PS 4 and my Switch. It is entirely living room compatible if you watch movies without loud fan noise.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12343 on: January 31, 2018, 06:49:31 AM

Fuck the Four Kings fight and Fuck the lack of people wanting to help me through it even though I've done it 4 times now for other luckless fuckers.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #12344 on: January 31, 2018, 08:04:45 AM

The Four Kings fight is a DPS race. Each King arrives a set time after the previous one.

No more than 4 Kings can be in the area at the same time. However since each King's HP are less then a quarter of the total boss HP you can actually fight more than four of them in total if you are too slow and you can actually finish the encounter with fighting only three if your DPS output is high enough (the Boss takes damage even during the death animation of a King).

If they screw you, your damage output is probably too low. There is an NPC summons (Witch Beatrice) but ONLY if you have summoned her previously during the Moonlight Butterfly fight. The walk back to the Boss is also a real bitch because there's no bonfire in New Londo if I recall correctly.

The most important thing is to always be aware of your surroundings so that a new spawn can't sneak up on you behind your back. Stay in melee range and dodge or block, except when he does the swinging attack to go for the grab or the shockwave attack then back off. The Kings' melee damage is much lower than their ranged damage. Also if you melee one, additional spawns sometimes back off and don't engage you. Always focus on one before you engage a new spawn.

This fight is significantly easier if you have levelled up a bunch and upgraded your weapon. High DPS makes it much easier.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12345 on: January 31, 2018, 08:32:39 AM

Yes, I know.  Alas, none of that helps with the knowing 'cause I get my shit pushed in.   why so serious?

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #12346 on: January 31, 2018, 08:44:15 AM

I was very overleveled by the time I fought them the first time and had almost no issues.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12347 on: January 31, 2018, 08:46:20 AM

Yeah, I've got to the stage where I tend to just go do the Library and do that instead to level.  Sadface though.  I clearly need more mates. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12348 on: January 31, 2018, 10:02:24 AM

Several days with a mild flu, playing the Awakening mod for minecraft. Pretty damned slick mod for the sheer size of it. A few tricky bottlenecks and it lacks the crafted world of Blightfall or Forever Stranded, but it's got a massive HQM tome that's fairly well constructed.

Some of the best cosmetic stuff I've seen, too. I've even left the music on thus far.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12349 on: February 01, 2018, 10:51:39 AM

I was very overleveled by the time I fought them the first time and had almost no issues.

Turns out putting on entirely Havels gear and just poking him solo with a Crystal Halberd makes it a cake wake.  Didn't realise summoning the NPC to help didn't help.  It hinders.

Done now.  Cool.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12350 on: February 01, 2018, 11:13:13 AM

I did a partial playthrough of BG2 this last week. I could see why we thought it was so great--I mean, the NPCs have actual lives (was this the first game to have the 'loyalty quest' as a mechanic? I kind of think so), they banter with each other, the visual design is pretty great for the time, the use of D&D mechanics was fairly meticulous. But it's also a real slog now and again--I'm amazed that we all put up with some of these kinds of mechanics for as long as we did. (The old Might and Magics had something of the same thing going on--the need to go all the way across the map to get something needed for a quest all the way on the other side of the map and then to have to go all the way back again, etc.) Mostly we did because we didn't know better, really--that's what "difficulty" meant, in some ways. Anyway, it's a fun thing to do again, but I think I'm ready to go back to more contemporary games.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12351 on: February 01, 2018, 11:42:06 AM

I tried playing BG1 a while back (not even the EE version) and had to stop after 20 hours or so. The lack of some of the QOL stuff that RPG's have done since then is one thing, but D&D mechanics, especially 2e? Those are utter shit and were only cool because we didn't know any better. It's also where I discovered that I really don't like Bioware's pause-real-time combat/RPG engine. It worked fine with KotOR and Mass Effect, but for fantasy, it's been terrible.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12352 on: February 01, 2018, 02:44:15 PM

1e AD&D was great....because it was house-ruled to hell and back. By the books or whatever version is enforced via crpg? Hell nah.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12353 on: February 01, 2018, 03:36:09 PM

Having a lot of fun with Subnautica and occasionally getting scared by giant monsters roaring at me. My cat will no longer sit in my lap while I play due to leviathan grumbling. I hadn't touched this since early access (alpha I think?), and there is definitely a lot more here. I just wish the texture pop in wasn't so damn bad.

FFXII is now on Steam. This is beyond tempting. It's probably my third favorite FF outside of VI and IV.

-Rasix
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #12354 on: February 01, 2018, 07:29:53 PM

I did a partial playthrough of BG2 this last week. I could see why we thought it was so great--I mean, the NPCs have actual lives (was this the first game to have the 'loyalty quest' as a mechanic? I kind of think so), they banter with each other, the visual design is pretty great for the time, the use of D&D mechanics was fairly meticulous. But it's also a real slog now and again--I'm amazed that we all put up with some of these kinds of mechanics for as long as we did. (The old Might and Magics had something of the same thing going on--the need to go all the way across the map to get something needed for a quest all the way on the other side of the map and then to have to go all the way back again, etc.) Mostly we did because we didn't know better, really--that's what "difficulty" meant, in some ways. Anyway, it's a fun thing to do again, but I think I'm ready to go back to more contemporary games.

What modern games do you prefer?

I can't play most of them, because they're all WoW-ified, with crafting inventory bloat, run of the mill quest spam, uninteresting FPS combat mechanics so on. BG2 has a lot of issues still for me, but not as many as most modern games.
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: