Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:31:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172893 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12145 on: November 06, 2017, 03:50:59 AM

I've played an ungodly amount of Super Mario Odyssey. A really, really great game that left a grin on my face for the whole time. I'd recommend not going after 100% completion though. The post-game suffers from the same issues most of the 3D Marios do. Lots of bullshit difficulty tasks. Nintendo has the notion that post game has to be punishingly difficult and has to contain lots of bullshit challenges and that every Mario game has to include some iteration of "re-do this level again but now its even more arbitrarily difficult". Also every game apparently has to include one or more "Champion's Road" type level which only Twitch streamers and AGDQ-attendees are able to complete. (The final challenge level took me probably 8 - 10 hours over multiple days to complete once)

It's all about "how about re-doing this hard boss-fight but now with ice-physics" or "how about this particular Koopa race but now you need to do a five move combo to get to a shortcut to win" or "how about a ten minute level without any checkpoints and one fuckup kills you and makes you restart from the top" or "how about a six stage boss rush with 1/6th gravity and no checkpoints or health refills".

Granted you don't need to do any of it to see all of the game and the rest of the game is enjoyable and great fun and a nice change of pace from all of the "the end is nigh" dark grim dystopian stuff. Probably the best 3D Mario yet.

Also the best control set is with two Joycons detached from the console and each held in one hand. It's even recommended on the intial loading screen with the other methods (Joycon grip or Pro Controller) being relegated to "there are also other control schemes". You can complete the game with a Pro Controller (it was how I played the game) but the "two Joycons held seperately" input scheme makes the game significantly easier since you need the "waggle" to get to some of the harder moons or because it makes some of the moves easier. (There is at least one moon you can't reach without shaking the controller to move even faster).

For me Mario Odyssey and Zelda BotW alone make the purchase of a Switch worthwile.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12146 on: November 09, 2017, 06:19:27 AM

My son would agree with you.

The more recent trend of Super Mario games to allow you to save the princess without completing the game is probably a fine choice.  Then the people who like challenges can optionally do those challenges while grown-ass men who may have played the original but are no longer very good at video games can still rescue the princess and wank about it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #12147 on: November 09, 2017, 07:50:52 AM

I get what they’re doing but

A: I bought that game and so help me god I’ll experience everything it has to offer
B: I’m not old and can still do that shit (yeah, right)

why so serious?
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #12148 on: November 09, 2017, 08:46:36 AM

B: I’m not old and can still do that shit (yeah, right)
My family still likes watching me run through video games like this with amazing skill every so often (I amaze my 10 year old). Yet all I can think of is how my reactions are finally slowing down and nowhere as finely tuned anymore now that I'm almost 40 vs 10. But I wonder how much of it is old age vs me not devoting 2-5 hours a day playing anymore...
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #12149 on: November 09, 2017, 09:00:45 AM

For me it’s both.

At 42 I am at the point where it’s basically „I think I could still do this but with more practice than in the past“, then I get destroyed at anything involving twitch reflexes by my ten year old nephew.

I’m also more often now at the “fuck this, there’s so much I could play instead” point that comes with lots more disposable income.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #12150 on: November 12, 2017, 08:15:50 AM

Playing Nioh on PC and its working great on my gtx 760 which is below minimum requirements. Like it so far, even though I suck at it right now.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #12151 on: November 12, 2017, 04:46:29 PM

Playing Mario + Rabbids right now.  It's pretty good.  I normally don't go in for the tactics kind of games, but this one is enjoyable.  And the kids like it too, although it's a little bit more difficult at times than I anticipated. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12152 on: November 13, 2017, 06:50:14 AM

Got in the new xbox on Friday and played a bit of Madden over the weekend.

Holy crap do they throw options at you fast and constantly. I did manage to dumb my league down to 'I just want to call plays and play on the field, not micromanage every aspect of the team'. After playing half a season as teh Curbstompers I mean Patriots, I'm about ready to dial some of the management stuff up a bit, as well as the difficulty (I've always loved playing D line and am a sack master but half my games have been shutouts, so...).

Looks fairly decent, plays as janky as ever. Also there doesn't seem to be an option to have Belichick as coach, so I made my own and named him thusly. My football buddy has dubbed him the cryptkeeper.
Teugeus
Terracotta Army

Reply #12153 on: November 13, 2017, 07:45:25 AM

Doom Switch is awesome ! It doesn't match the PC version of course but playing it on the go is a revelation, feels unreal and my 10 year old self would be so jealous with his monochrome Game Boy  awesome, for real
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12154 on: November 21, 2017, 11:44:59 AM

Picked up Agents of Mayhem and all its DLC for half price on the Xbone. Its got its issues, but if you had fun with Saints Row 4, this is much of the same. Not as good, but still fun.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12155 on: November 21, 2017, 03:25:07 PM

Playing X-COM2 finally. Took a little bit to get adjusted to the differences from the first, but it's a perfectly enjoyable game. The issue I'm having is the multitude of bugs, all which are extremely annoying. There was some very basic QA that just was not done here. How can you fuck up UI transparency so bad? Ran into other stuff that ran the gamut between visual glitches to "ohh shit, my character won't move and this is an extraction mission".

I'm just filling time between now and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I know my family would rather I save it for a low effort Christmas present, but I'm too eager.

-Rasix
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #12156 on: November 25, 2017, 04:20:59 AM

Once again I'm playing CK2 since the new DLC was just released. The new CB are great (but should have been part of the free update instead of being part of the DLC). As for the China portion of the DLC I haven't really touched it since started as a tribal chief in the north of Ireland (currently expanded to leading a merchant republic consisting of Ireland, Wales and England).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12157 on: November 26, 2017, 10:35:15 AM

Finally finished Persona 5, clocking in somewhere around 110 hours. This may be the best game I've ever played. It drug on a bit and seemed to over tell its story but I'm legit sad that I won't have new adventures with these characters anymore. This game was so well written, so stylistic, it's easily game of the year.

I think I'm going to finally play Final Fantasy VII as my next long-term gaming project. Yes, I realize I'm like 2 decades too late.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12158 on: November 26, 2017, 05:19:06 PM

VII..... did not age very well, IMO.  I thought it was the most amazing thing ever when it first came out, but went back to play it again a few years back, and the age shows.  Might still enjoy it a lot (at the very least, you'll finally get a lot of pop/nerd references), but I think it was one of those 'time and place' gaming hits.

On the flip side, I have yet to ever play a single Persona game yet.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #12159 on: November 26, 2017, 05:45:09 PM

If you haven't played it, you're far better off playing FFVI.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #12160 on: November 26, 2017, 05:57:18 PM

Absolutely.  Series peaked there, though I still have nostalgic fondness for VII and even VIII (yes, I know  awesome, for real).  Last FF I played was X, and haven't touched another one since.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12161 on: November 26, 2017, 07:02:11 PM

Finally finished Persona 5, clocking in somewhere around 110 hours. This may be the best game I've ever played. It drug on a bit and seemed to over tell its story but I'm legit sad that I won't have new adventures with these characters anymore. This game was so well written, so stylistic, it's easily game of the year.

I think I'm going to finally play Final Fantasy VII as my next long-term gaming project. Yes, I realize I'm like 2 decades too late.

You bought a PS4, right? Just wait for the remaster of VII if you really feel you must play it. It should be out soonish. The visuals as-is look really shitty and the gameplay is pretty uninspired. You could also try the XII re-release for the PS4. Not sure how much better it looks, but that was one of my favorite of the more modern FFs. FFVI (play the rom, not any of the updated graphics shit) is also a fantastic recommendation. Don't trust anyone that likes IX, though.

I'm playing Risen after beating XCOM2. Janky as fuck, but I'm liking it. Doesn't play well with the ultrawide, so everyone is fat.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12162 on: November 26, 2017, 09:14:10 PM

I had bought the PC version of FF VII on sale a while back and I have an physical aversion for buying games twice. I already bought the X/X-II remaster on the PS4 when I bought the system, but I really wanted to go back and play the one that everyone always talks about. It's not like I can't shitcan it if I don't like it. I think I actually have the VI rom on my tablet. I played XIII on the 360 and holy shit was that terrible - beautiful but terrible and linear.

If I had had Risen installed on my PC, I think I would have played it over FF VII because it'll take less time. I'm really trying to whittle some of my backlog.

I also bought Madden 18 (and I like it) and am trying to make sense of Black Desert Online.

schild
Administrator

Reply #12163 on: November 26, 2017, 10:26:10 PM

Do not play the original ff7

It is bad and always was bad

The remaster should be tolerable
Teleku
Terracotta Army

Reply #12164 on: November 26, 2017, 10:53:03 PM

Totally forgot they were doing a remaster till this thread.

Went and looked at specifics.  They aren't remastering it, they are 'recreating it', meaning they are going to re-write the whole thing and add in a shitty live action combat system.  What a disaster.   Facepalm

-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12165 on: November 27, 2017, 04:59:58 AM

It's also going to be released in 3 parts. swamp poop

I would say just play the original VII; the graphics aren't great but the gameplay still holds up well. I've been replaying it off and on lately.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #12166 on: November 27, 2017, 06:42:30 AM

VII definitely holds up better than VIII and IX do, although the only reason to play any of the PSX-era Final Fantasy games is to see what all the fuss was about.  The SNES era was peak-Final Fantasy as others have already said, and the PS2 games had more polish than the PSX ones.  I replayed IX recently and battles were sloooooow.  XII is the best of the modern ones for sure, although I'll say that X was fun.

For the sake of full disclosure, I will admit to thinking that X-2 was also enjoyable once you ignored the all the cutscenes.  Last good use of the job system.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12167 on: November 27, 2017, 07:41:07 AM

Playing only Hyperlane with Stellaris and the game is humming along pretty nicely. It's pretty compelling now.

I still think the Science Vessel mini-game needs more attention. Maybe if there's a stealth unit for Science Vessels that lets them go after Special Projects in otherwise closed territories, and more mid-game/late-game Special Projects, I dunno.

The internal political factions also need much more personality--something approaching Crusader Kings-ish narrative flavor, maybe. I just ignore them 95% of the time.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #12168 on: November 27, 2017, 09:15:39 AM

It's also going to be released in 3 parts. swamp poop

I would say just play the original VII; the graphics aren't great but the gameplay still holds up well. I've been replaying it off and on lately.

3 parts? Fuck that. I'll stick with my PC Port version of the original. I'm ok with the graphics. It may be one of those situations like I had with the original Baldur's Gate. I got 20 hours into it, my hard drive died and I did not have the energy to try to redo those 20 hours. QOL improvements in RPG's and the inherent shittiness of 2e D&D mechanics wore me down. Plus, between that and Dragon Age 1, I realized I really fucking hate Bioware's "real-time/pause" combat systems.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #12169 on: November 27, 2017, 09:24:10 AM

With the release of the new Titan Quest and Grim dawn expansions, I decided to go on an ARPG binge.  After some time in both Titan Quest and Grim Dawn, I realized just how much I enjoyed Torchlight 2. 

So... playing Eternal and Torchlight 2 a lot. 

I need therapy.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12170 on: November 27, 2017, 10:06:19 AM

I agree, I went through disk 1 recently and after I got over the shock of the polygons it was fine.  Also it's fun to laugh at all the characters beefy arms.

Finally forced myself to play Nier again and I'm glad I did.  I love the characters but man it really rubbed me the wrong way after I hit the main world the first time I played it.  The camera and lock on controls are really sloppy and feel terrible.  You have to play all the combat holding down L2 to lock on, holding down R1 to shoot and hitting R2 to dodge while attacking with face buttons.  Invisible walls  swamp poop.  STILL, once I got over all that I started really getting into it.  I like the story and the some of the side quests really sell the feel of the world they are going for.  Currently working on the second play through.

Give Van Helsing a look if you're on an ARPG binge and haven't played it.  It's a little rough around the edges but I liked it way more than Grim Dawn.  I liked Torchlight quite a bit but Torchlight 2 didn't catch me the same way.  Not really sure why, it's been too long.  Possibly just burned out on the first game.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12171 on: November 27, 2017, 12:07:07 PM

I finally bought The Warriors and I think it must have been really awesome when it came out.  I mean, controls of that era were universally terrible, right?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #12172 on: November 27, 2017, 03:57:38 PM

Bought No Man's Sky on sale on Steam. Really, really enjoying it. Almost 40 hours in.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12173 on: November 27, 2017, 05:40:26 PM

Finally forced myself to play Nier again and I'm glad I did.  I love the characters but man it really rubbed me the wrong way after I hit the main world the first time I played it.  The camera and lock on controls are really sloppy and feel terrible.  You have to play all the combat holding down L2 to lock on, holding down R1 to shoot and hitting R2 to dodge while attacking with face buttons.  Invisible walls  swamp poop.  STILL, once I got over all that I started really getting into it.  I like the story and the some of the side quests really sell the feel of the world they are going for.  Currently working on the second play through.
The original or Automata? If the original, is it available on PC or just last-gen consoles?

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12174 on: November 28, 2017, 07:02:31 AM

The original or Automata? If the original, is it available on PC or just last-gen consoles?

Automata.  I don't think that I'll play the original but I may read the plot after I've finished this one.  The beginning of the second play through was good but now that I'm basically playing the same thing again it's wearing on me.  I'm just trying to power through it at this point to see the rest of the story.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12175 on: November 28, 2017, 10:45:50 AM

Grabbed Little Nightmares (among others) in the Steam Sale and am probably about halfway through that.  Would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone who liked Limbo; it's a beautiful game with a Burton/Gorey goth/steampunk aesthetic, gameplay is pretty straightforward platformer/puzzle stuff.

Next up might be GTA V (which FINALLY hit 50% off).   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12176 on: November 28, 2017, 12:15:42 PM

I'm planning on another playthrough of GTA V after RDR, maybe even finish this time around. Such an awesome game.

Coming around to the last bits of Elex, currently just traveling around savoring the scenery and finding stuff I missed, now that I'm wicked OP to everything in the game (level 40).

The AI gutted my team in the offseason of Madden, I don't really want to get into the whole draft/signing/retention thing so I guess it's single-season franchises for me there.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12177 on: November 28, 2017, 01:51:43 PM

I'm planning on another playthrough of GTA V after RDR, maybe even finish this time around. Such an awesome game.

I hope you know that your endorsement is a large part of what convinced me to grab it, so if it's as disappointing as GTA IV it's entirely your fault.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12178 on: November 28, 2017, 07:46:09 PM

I'm used to it. I still think San Andreas is the high point, but I was living in LA in the time they set it in, so I'm biased. I just love the 90s hip hop vibe and the whole big smoke thing.

Still, I think V is a great sandbox. Generally by the time you're tired of knockoff Soprano you can jump over to knockoff CJ and then psycho Trevor who is probably the embodiment of the franchise in a lot of ways.

I liked IV as well, but I do agree with the general consensus that it's not as good as other entries back to Vice City (I only played 3 at a friend's house a couple times).

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #12179 on: November 28, 2017, 08:56:00 PM

I played the crap out of III, Vice City, and San Andreas, so the fact that I couldn't bring myself to finish IV was pretty damning.  Really hoping V recaptures the old magic.

Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] 349 350 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: