Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2017, 10:11:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 728942 times)
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12145 on: November 06, 2017, 05:50:59 AM

I've played an ungodly amount of Super Mario Odyssey. A really, really great game that left a grin on my face for the whole time. I'd recommend not going after 100% completion though. The post-game suffers from the same issues most of the 3D Marios do. Lots of bullshit difficulty tasks. Nintendo has the notion that post game has to be punishingly difficult and has to contain lots of bullshit challenges and that every Mario game has to include some iteration of "re-do this level again but now its even more arbitrarily difficult". Also every game apparently has to include one or more "Champion's Road" type level which only Twitch streamers and AGDQ-attendees are able to complete. (The final challenge level took me probably 8 - 10 hours over multiple days to complete once)

It's all about "how about re-doing this hard boss-fight but now with ice-physics" or "how about this particular Koopa race but now you need to do a five move combo to get to a shortcut to win" or "how about a ten minute level without any checkpoints and one fuckup kills you and makes you restart from the top" or "how about a six stage boss rush with 1/6th gravity and no checkpoints or health refills".

Granted you don't need to do any of it to see all of the game and the rest of the game is enjoyable and great fun and a nice change of pace from all of the "the end is nigh" dark grim dystopian stuff. Probably the best 3D Mario yet.

Also the best control set is with two Joycons detached from the console and each held in one hand. It's even recommended on the intial loading screen with the other methods (Joycon grip or Pro Controller) being relegated to "there are also other control schemes". You can complete the game with a Pro Controller (it was how I played the game) but the "two Joycons held seperately" input scheme makes the game significantly easier since you need the "waggle" to get to some of the harder moons or because it makes some of the moves easier. (There is at least one moon you can't reach without shaking the controller to move even faster).

For me Mario Odyssey and Zelda BotW alone make the purchase of a Switch worthwile.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12146 on: November 09, 2017, 08:19:27 AM

My son would agree with you.

The more recent trend of Super Mario games to allow you to save the princess without completing the game is probably a fine choice.  Then the people who like challenges can optionally do those challenges while grown-ass men who may have played the original but are no longer very good at video games can still rescue the princess and wank about it.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #12147 on: November 09, 2017, 09:50:52 AM

I get what theyíre doing but

A: I bought that game and so help me god Iíll experience everything it has to offer
B: Iím not old and can still do that shit (yeah, right)

why so serious?
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #12148 on: November 09, 2017, 10:46:36 AM

B: Iím not old and can still do that shit (yeah, right)
My family still likes watching me run through video games like this with amazing skill every so often (I amaze my 10 year old). Yet all I can think of is how my reactions are finally slowing down and nowhere as finely tuned anymore now that I'm almost 40 vs 10. But I wonder how much of it is old age vs me not devoting 2-5 hours a day playing anymore...
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

Reply #12149 on: November 09, 2017, 11:00:45 AM

For me itís both.

At 42 I am at the point where itís basically ĄI think I could still do this but with more practice than in the pastď, then I get destroyed at anything involving twitch reflexes by my ten year old nephew.

Iím also more often now at the ďfuck this, thereís so much I could play insteadĒ point that comes with lots more disposable income.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #12150 on: November 12, 2017, 10:15:50 AM

Playing Nioh on PC and its working great on my gtx 760 which is below minimum requirements. Like it so far, even though I suck at it right now.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #12151 on: November 12, 2017, 06:46:29 PM

Playing Mario + Rabbids right now.  It's pretty good.  I normally don't go in for the tactics kind of games, but this one is enjoyable.  And the kids like it too, although it's a little bit more difficult at times than I anticipated. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12152 on: November 13, 2017, 08:50:14 AM

Got in the new xbox on Friday and played a bit of Madden over the weekend.

Holy crap do they throw options at you fast and constantly. I did manage to dumb my league down to 'I just want to call plays and play on the field, not micromanage every aspect of the team'. After playing half a season as teh Curbstompers I mean Patriots, I'm about ready to dial some of the management stuff up a bit, as well as the difficulty (I've always loved playing D line and am a sack master but half my games have been shutouts, so...).

Looks fairly decent, plays as janky as ever. Also there doesn't seem to be an option to have Belichick as coach, so I made my own and named him thusly. My football buddy has dubbed him the cryptkeeper.

Teugeus
Terracotta Army

Reply #12153 on: November 13, 2017, 09:45:25 AM

Doom Switch is awesome ! It doesn't match the PC version of course but playing it on the go is a revelation, feels unreal and my 10 year old self would be so jealous with his monochrome Game Boy  awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 346 347 [348] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: