Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:06:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172704 times)
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #11970 on: July 30, 2017, 05:13:18 PM

I miss shadowbane, but at least i'll get to scratch that itch eventually since Crowfall is actually looking like it might actually come out at some point.

I haven't been paying attention, how likely is a real game to be released? ETA?

- Viin
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11971 on: July 30, 2017, 07:30:51 PM

Went ahead and finished Tyranny. Fairly disappointing. Great idea, terrible execution even within the style/genre. Pacing was terrible--combat very hard early on, dull as dishwater by midgame. Character arcs unfinished, and then--I mean, I was kind of stunned at the narrative structure--game gets you worked up to what feels like a momentous decision to challenge the Overlord and it's just "oh I cast a spell, no problem". Yeah, I'm sure that was a sequel/expansion or whatever, but it feels horribly unfinished/underthought.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #11972 on: July 30, 2017, 07:40:41 PM

I miss shadowbane, but at least i'll get to scratch that itch eventually since Crowfall is actually looking like it might actually come out at some point.

I haven't been paying attention, how likely is a real game to be released? ETA?

Yes, it will make it to launch.  No idea when that will be.  Some time next year, I imagine, but who knows.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #11973 on: July 31, 2017, 12:00:18 AM

My son is making an odd progression through MOBAs. He's now onto Heroes of the Storm.  DOTA2's big update kind of turned him off that. I think he's liking that it's quick and easy to play (less complicated at least). Plus it has a pain free vs AI mode that actually gets you shiny things to open.

I'm sure the International (shit, already?) will get him to fire DOTA2 back up, but who knows. I'd rather honestly play HOTS if I'm going to be grinding up an account.

Went ahead and finished Tyranny. Fairly disappointing. Great idea, terrible execution even within the style/genre. Pacing was terrible--combat very hard early on, dull as dishwater by midgame. Character arcs unfinished, and then--I mean, I was kind of stunned at the narrative structure--game gets you worked up to what feels like a momentous decision to challenge the Overlord and it's just "oh I cast a spell, no problem". Yeah, I'm sure that was a sequel/expansion or whatever, but it feels horribly unfinished/underthought.

That's too bad. It was next on the single player docket. I thought the setup was fairly decent, but I haven't got that far into it yet.

-Rasix
Krushchev
Terracotta Army

Reply #11974 on: July 31, 2017, 01:25:54 AM

Been playing Playerunknown's Battlegrounds lately. Let me know if anyone wants to squad up.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #11975 on: July 31, 2017, 07:11:36 AM

I agree on the disappointment and that combat felt all over the place.. There were some parts of the story I enjoyed but they were few and far between. Part of the problem is that they had to create three separate storylines for part 2. There were also parts in second half of the game that felt particularly rushed, areas that felt fairly empty compared to early game.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11976 on: July 31, 2017, 07:44:14 AM

I was actually kind of into it at the end of Act I--it felt like Act II was going to be really interesting, going after the Archons one by one, trying to manage my companions' reactions. So I went off to meet Tunon thinking that this was just the warm-up and I'd be coming back to him later. But two conversations later and three Archons are dead or have submitted to me. One visit to Graven Ashe and the whole thing is done. I was like, wtf. It's like you get to the end of the first volume of Game of Thrones and then the next book is a one-page story that says, "And then some of the Starks got killed at a wedding and Danerys killed a bunch of slavers and finally got on ships with dragons and Tyrion killed his father and Joffrey died of poison and there are ice zombies coming. The End."
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11977 on: July 31, 2017, 11:48:49 AM

I wasted Sunday playing Fortnite (Fortnight?).  I guess I was having fun.  I mean, I'd have stopped otherwise.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #11978 on: August 03, 2017, 09:37:49 PM

Been playing Playerunknown's Battlegrounds lately. Let me know if anyone wants to squad up.

I'm surprised that there isn't more chatter about this game around these parts.  It's fucking fantastic.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11979 on: August 03, 2017, 09:56:04 PM

I'm surprised that there isn't more chatter about this game around these parts.  It's fucking fantastic.

I played it for almost a month.  Let me know when you get there and you'll understand why I took a break.

It's a great game mechanically... it needs some gameplay tweaks.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Krushchev
Terracotta Army

Reply #11980 on: August 04, 2017, 12:29:25 AM

I tend to agree with Nebu. I can't play the game for too long. One or two games per day tops.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11981 on: August 04, 2017, 08:02:45 AM

Trying to play FFXII Zodiac but then I get asked into Fortnite.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11982 on: August 04, 2017, 09:06:18 AM

I haven't been playing much of anything lately.  I haven't logged into ESO for a couple of weeks and I've been flitting around from game to game, updating and in some cases, modding the hell out of them.  I've also been checking out some of the games I've bought but never finished... some never even started.  I even played several hours of Kingdoms of Amalur... it is pretty fun, but very linear in too many ways.  I also am not crazy about games where you can't even jump.  So my latest is Saints Row IV.  I only scratched the surface of that one.

Anyway, I've been saving my pennies (but something always comes up) to eventually get a PS4 but only half halfheartedly since I'm pretty satisfied with pc games.  I figured I'd go for the PS4 because there are several games I'd like to play that you can't buy for the pc or the Xbone... but then I saw Cuphead....

Oh my.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #11983 on: August 04, 2017, 02:32:47 PM

Started playing Transistor. It's OK. It's very stylish, both visually and aurally impressive. The core gameplay just isn't that interesting IMO. I liked the straight ARPG of Bastion.

-Rasix
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11984 on: August 05, 2017, 10:20:37 AM

Started Shadow Tactics. Feels fussy and rigid to me compared to other recent squad-based games.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #11985 on: August 06, 2017, 08:43:24 PM

Playing Minecraft (Project Ozone 2) when my PC isn't overheating and crashing. New CPU cooler will be here tomorrow, hope that fixes it.

On my 3DS, I'm working on Monster Hunter Generations. Being able to play as a palico fixes a lot of my problems with the series: no need for harvesting tools, no sprint limit, adds a ding gratz element, etc.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #11986 on: August 06, 2017, 08:52:28 PM

Started Shadow Tactics. Feels fussy and rigid to me compared to other recent squad-based games.

Yeah I gave up on the tutorial mission, too many extra skills and the like.

I though it was going to be more like Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11987 on: August 07, 2017, 06:55:47 AM

Yeah, so did I, based on the reviews. It sort of is? But the maps are too crowded and too rigid in what they dictate. I hate stealth games that are pure puzzle-solving "how can you find the single right way to do this in order to get through?" in their feel. It's not quite that bad--there are a few ways to improvise--but it's close. I especially hate the huge numbers of guards from inside houses and carts that swarm all over you in seconds--I'd rather have a stealth game or squad-level tactical game use fog of war and LOS to challenge me and make me wonder whether a screw-up in a particular place is going to draw huge crowds of enemies or not.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11988 on: August 07, 2017, 07:19:16 AM

Playing Minecraft (Project Ozone 2)
Nice! I love that pack so much.

I'm still in 7 Days, nothing else is calling to me. Started my first medium-sized base, going to integrate the new electrical system in this one. Horde tore up my small pit base on day 28, so hopefully a bit more of an active defense will slow them down enough for me to build and even bigger base... The auger is loud af but man, it tears through stuff (and with current xp formulas, give a ton of levels).
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #11989 on: August 12, 2017, 06:09:30 PM

I am having entirely too much fun in West of Loathing, a very silly western-themed RPG from the Kingdom of Loathing folks.

PC, not browser based, so no "time" based mechanics.  Their art style translates incredibly well, the animation is fantastic, and the writing is hilarious.  $10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDmOmxv2U4k
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #11990 on: August 12, 2017, 06:47:53 PM

Played through Tacoma, thought it was pretty cool.  The story didn't seem as interesting to me as Gone Home, but as a sci-fi nerd the setting was way cooler, so in the end it's a wash.  Though it isn't exactly focused on the sci-fi stuff (I was kind of bugged by how vague they were about AI given how critical it is to the plot) the character stuff is still neat.  Took me a little over 2h, so maybe a bit pricey depending on how much you like walking simulators.  Or watch a playthrough on Youtube.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11991 on: August 12, 2017, 07:22:04 PM

Started playing Transistor. It's OK. It's very stylish, both visually and aurally impressive. The core gameplay just isn't that interesting IMO. I liked the straight ARPG of Bastion.

This was exactly my impression of it.  I LOVE the style their stuff has; they just need better game design.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #11992 on: August 13, 2017, 05:45:59 AM

Tried No Man's Sky again--permadeath survival mode. That adds a bit of interest to it regardless of the changes, but it also means I haven't yet gotten a great sense of the changes. I came across a building called "my base" but as far as I can tell there's no way to mark it or find it again, so...I don't get it. Maybe I missed something.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11993 on: August 13, 2017, 07:50:51 AM

Subnautica has had a lot of changes and improvements, but is still shit.

Why, then, does it swallow so much of my time?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #11994 on: August 13, 2017, 07:59:16 AM

I can only assume you have forgotten Factorio, which is not shit, and I would guess far more fun to play.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #11995 on: August 13, 2017, 08:00:36 AM

Wha?  Subnautica has been a ton of fun every time I've done a play through (it changes drastically every time as they roll out more and more stuff).  Why do you think its shit?

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11996 on: August 13, 2017, 09:52:48 AM

Tried No Man's Sky again--permadeath survival mode. That adds a bit of interest to it regardless of the changes, but it also means I haven't yet gotten a great sense of the changes. I came across a building called "my base" but as far as I can tell there's no way to mark it or find it again, so...I don't get it. Maybe I missed something.
I did, too. Some really nice HUD changes, the scanner is so much more useful now. But I've completely forgotten what I was doing, what elements I needed for what reasons, which elements I was storing or had marked for sale, and most of the controls. Ship is stuffed full of resources but don't really want to make new stuff to fill the new slots they created.

Overall it looks like there have been some really nice upgrades, so at some point I'll just start playing again to check out the new story mode, since I'm in the minority that really enjoyed the game for what it is.

I'm still in 7 Days, building my first medium sized base, though for day 35 my ability to make shotgun turrets is lacking for parts. Hopefully I can scavenge/barter for some for next horde night and the spikes and blade traps can get me through day 35 horde. I can still fall back to my first couple bases through the tunnel network, so here's hoping. Should probably pull back the horde size from 64 at a time :D

Though I'm not doing it soon, the DLP bulb just went. Have one on order, but weekend. Thought I had a few more days until it blew, was wrong.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11997 on: August 13, 2017, 01:06:43 PM

Wha?  Subnautica has been a ton of fun every time I've done a play through (it changes drastically every time as they roll out more and more stuff).  Why do you think its shit?

I have some fundamental issues with it.  For a building game, the resources are a pain in the arse.  The Recipe collection is a pain in the arse.  The realism, or lack thereof, is also a pain in the arse. (Seriously, don't tell me my titanium sub is at crush depth and then let me out to swim down a further 500.  That's just stupid.)

As indicated, I keep playing it, so I must enjoy it on SOME level, but I dunno what that level is.  Dismantling my entire base to then mantle it over there and forgetting foundations and then getting my sub eaten by a shark and then and then and then.

Sigh.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #11998 on: August 13, 2017, 02:17:07 PM

It took a while but I beat Bloodborne. I want to do a NG+ and all the optional stuff, but for now I'm burned out on soulslikes. Titanfall 2 is just what the doctor ordered, then Patapon Remastered.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #11999 on: August 13, 2017, 04:22:10 PM

I've had Dark souls 1 sitting on my steam account for ages. I think now is the time to die. Heaven help me.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 07:09:33 PM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12000 on: August 13, 2017, 05:21:18 PM

I've had Dark souls 1 sitting on my steam account for aces. I think now is the time to die. Heaven help me.
Yeah, I should really get around to that, too...
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12001 on: August 13, 2017, 08:04:58 PM

Basically, the things No Man's Sky has added are nice, but they can't really address two deep issues:

a) the action of the game is inventory management of the worst kind. Still. I spend more time in my damn inventory than anything else.
b) the procedural generation of planets makes for environments that look and feel the same. The animals feel the same, the planets feel the same. Minecraft, with a vastly simpler procedural set-up even without modpacks, generates by accident environments that feel more memorable than any planet I've been on in No Man's Sky. Every planet has the same approximate mix of things. There's very rarely a place on the planet where I say to myself, "That feels really memorably different". The creatures all end up looking more or less the same. There just is no wow factor, even the color palettes are just, "yeah, ok."
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12002 on: August 14, 2017, 01:20:37 AM

Yeah, that's what got me about the game.  Minecraft creates all sorts of random crazy environments that puts the explorer in me in awe, and I want to just keep going.  NMS potentially has so much more it can do.... yet they do absolutely nothing with it.  Same bland rolling hills and random mountains on every planet, with just a different shade of pastel.  Bleh.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Wasted
Terracotta Army

Reply #12003 on: August 14, 2017, 03:52:00 AM

There is no skill or tricks to exploring in NMS, you just pick a direction and go that way and hope the random generation gives you what you need.  In Minecraft normally the first thing you do is find a high spot and survey the land, yeah there is still a lot of randomness but very early on you can divide areas into worth and resources based on the biomes and start to craft a strategy of how you want to progress.

Beacons add a little bit of purpose in NMS but so much is just randomness smoothed out to a bland average.

I've played a little bit again with the new patch and yeah, its a better game but still fundamentally flawed.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12004 on: August 14, 2017, 08:10:58 AM

I felt there was some good variety to the planets, acidic planets felt toxic, burnt out planets were appropriately desolate, etc. That I liked the game doesn't mean I think it's perfect. Like, yeah, no game has touched what minecraft has done. Period. So, you kinda have to strike that comparison and just look at what it is against other procedural games (minecraft itself is boring and samey when compared to modded minecraft, as well). Note my played hours in NMS are nothing compared to 7 Days, because that's a better game on almost every level.

But just because there aren't massive volcanoes on burnt planets, or really much in the way of sensible flora and fauna anywhere, doesn't mean it's not a relaxing experience to putter around aimlessly. Procedural has to be laid upon a solid gameplay foundation, or it doesn't really work well. You get something like NMS, which is ultimately a bland, samey experience. But at the same time it can still be pretty and fun to zoom around in.
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: