Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:32:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Serenity spoiler thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Serenity spoiler thread  (Read 54123 times)
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #210 on: October 10, 2005, 01:57:05 PM

This is because Zoe (2nd in command) gave Mal (captain) a hard time about not saving that extra from the Reavers.

Okay, that kind of makes sense to me, but I'm still having trouble making the jump from "Scolding: You don't care about helpless people" to "Action: take dangerous, unstable weapon aboard ship, putting self, ship and crew in danger". That latter bit seems to contradict the character at this point, because he's put up some dialog about putting his crew and ship first and strangers later.

Jayne points this out but Mal has already made his decision.  As for shooting the Alliance officer, he was really pissed at the time, and he fought against them in the war.  This shows Jayne's role as the "bad extreme" or "shoulder devil" since he doesn't have Mal's sense of loyalty and whatnot, and is counterpoint to Zoe as Mal's conscience.

It is bad that there could be confusion without the backstory, but if you thought you might like the movie if you knew what the hell was going on, Netflick the show and try again.

I don't know how to spell conscience, and I don't plan on learning that today.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #211 on: October 10, 2005, 02:10:56 PM

Dafoe and Pare beating the shit out of each other is classic.

If there are two words which occur too infrequently in cinema, they are the words "sledgehammer fight".

EDIT:  Regarding Ironwood's "queue" problem, I hear Serenity is actually doing okay for itself in the UK.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2005, 02:12:50 PM by WindupAtheist »

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Fargull
Contributor

Reply #212 on: October 10, 2005, 02:36:19 PM

As for shooting the Alliance officer, he was really pissed at the time, and he fought against them in the war.

I also took it to mean with no survivors any readers the Alliance might have will not realize that Serenity was there...  That and the fact Book just died in his arms moments before and it was a good point maker for the whole your staying here or going with, or if you get me angry I will shoot you next...

"I have come to believe that a great teacher is a great artist and that there are as few as there are any other great artists. Teaching might even be the greatest of the arts since the medium is the human mind and spirit." John Steinbeck
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #213 on: October 10, 2005, 04:52:54 PM

Well, thanks, now that makes sense.

This movie needed ushers handing out cheatsheets or something before the show. A lot of this material comes from the TV series and I can identify maybe a few lines in the movie meant to reference each fact.

It's a tough call, because going in I was worried that they would waste 30 minutes of the movie with backstory exposition. Having seen the entire series, I was glad that they didn't. He did cover most of the key relationship points in the opening minutes, but it was brief. I can see how someone coming in to the show cold would be left wanting more though.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: October 10, 2005, 05:13:39 PM

And maybe go buy the DVDs... ;)  Who's to say they really cared so much about a sequel movie as increasing the residuals value.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: October 11, 2005, 09:44:24 AM

As for shooting the guy in cold blood - well, that's just the tone of the show.

Heh, like the best scene of The Train Job - after the crew has got the drop on a couple of Niska's henchmen, they're bound just outside Serenity's cargo bay.

Mal: Okay, so you take back Niska's money and we're even, job declined.

Niska's Henchman 1: Big mistake, I'll hunt you down, you'll never get away with this, blah blah.

Mal kicks Henchman 1 into running Serenity engine. Goes over to Henchman 2.

Mal: Okay, so you take Niska's money back, we're even.

Niska's Henchman 2: Sure! No problem! Sounds great!
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #216 on: October 11, 2005, 01:56:05 PM

And maybe go buy the DVDs... ;) 

Done.

Found them onsale and order these plus the first season of Battlestar Galactica. 

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #217 on: October 11, 2005, 07:03:11 PM

Just got back from watcing this movie.  Le Brilliance.  I knew I would enjoy it, but holy shit was it good!

This was just pure genius in the making.  The musical score alone was well thought out and executed.  Plot was well thought out, characters developed well (I have yet to see Firefly), and the ending left me yearning for more.  Of most important is the little details.  I am a detail person; I blame my time in the military for this.  There were just so many little details, from the dropping of some foreign language to the way the fights developed, to the fact that they had to repaint the ships name on the side.  I am assuming those of you who were complaining earlier in the thread about the fact that they had to fly (sail?) to Mr. Universes pad to deliver the message are not very technology oriented.  Seriously, I can think of multiple reasons as to why they had to travel there, of prime importance it was obvious that Mr. Universe was in trouble and there was no way the message would be delivered if they had just e-mailed it or whatever.  Notice Mal brought Reevers with him?  It was not to have tea. 

Final thought, WUA you can suck shit.  I sorta agreed with you up until I saw the movie, but it is obvious you were flaming in the thread to increase e-peen. 

edit.  This was all my opinion obviously, and not pre-assumed bias thanks to my apparent F13 bias.  I expected to enjoy it, but the level I enjoyed it was very surprising. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 11:24:36 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #218 on: October 11, 2005, 10:52:26 PM

Good thing you caught it when you did.  It'll be out of the theaters in another week or two, as owners use their screens to display something more profitable.  Like the umpteenth week of Corpse Bride, or that dreadful-looking Doom flick.  :-D

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #219 on: October 11, 2005, 11:21:40 PM

What's your point?  That people will line up week after week to watch complete crap because it's shiney, has shitty cgi and an equally shitty plot (don't forget Hell and MONSTARS!!!)? That some good films do poorly while other good films do good based on the notoriety of director?  You mean movies that don't do well don't stay in the theatre because Joss Whedon says so?

Wow. Deep, man. Deep.

You can really shut the fuck up anytime now. 

-Rasix
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #220 on: October 11, 2005, 11:25:55 PM

Good thing you caught it when you did.  It'll be out of the theaters in another week or two, as owners use their screens to display something more profitable.  Like the umpteenth week of Corpse Bride, or that dreadful-looking Doom flick.  :-D

I'm serious, man. I'm having trouble determining what the deal is with you and this thread.

Is it a joke? Do you think it's funny? Do you like being mean and being loathed? Is there an overarching, arrogant point? Are you testing reactions as some sort of a social experiment? Is this satire?

Why are you bending over backwards to purposefully be an asshole? I'm honestly asking. I'm incapable of comprehending your motives.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #221 on: October 11, 2005, 11:30:07 PM

It is a manifestation of his psychosis.  Obviously he has some education, but still remembers when he was mocked and derided throughout his childhood and teens.  Online we all have washboard stomaches and rippling muscles, yet his school money is still being stolen by the bullies. 

edit.  Its Bruce.  I know it is.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 11:33:47 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
schild
Administrator

Reply #222 on: October 11, 2005, 11:33:07 PM

Might want to fix that last sentence there chief, it's a grammatical abortion.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: October 12, 2005, 01:17:39 AM

I still haven't seen it.  The trouble with actually having a life is that when your schedule goes to shit it's hard to reschedule.

Did I ever mention that I hate life ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #224 on: October 12, 2005, 09:59:13 AM

Cheddar's edit has it.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #225 on: October 12, 2005, 10:02:43 AM

Y'know I blew that off when I first saw it, but now that you mention it again..
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #226 on: October 12, 2005, 01:10:48 PM

I like to hate things.  F13 hates to like things.  But I like to hate things that F13 likes, and F13 hates it when I like to hate the things it likes.  Sometimes I like to like things which F13 hates to like, and it hates that.

Meanwhile, in other news:  Nerds won't go down without a fight!

Quote from: Some schmuck
Increase the payoff, ensure a sequel.

I went last night and took a girl who knew nothing about it. Now she's going to take her friends tonight. And I'll be doing the same thing. That's at least 10 tickets sold that I'll be directly responsible for selling.

And, no. She didn't let me kiss her.

She just likes you as a friend.  Pussy.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #227 on: October 12, 2005, 01:56:53 PM

F13 is not an entity. That's your first mistake. With this Me vs Them mentality, you set yourself up to be an bigger asshole than the rest of us.

Me vs Them is really the defining factor between all "unique" assholes who've passed through here. Bruce, Hyu, Geldon (Maybe? -- Still undecided on that).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #228 on: October 12, 2005, 02:12:19 PM

Hyu's too damned clueless to be qualified as an asshole.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #229 on: October 12, 2005, 02:14:44 PM

<snip the horror>
Goddamn dude. I'm really sorry that Serenity came over to your house, drank all your beer, pissed on your carpet, killed your dog then stole your girlfriend. I can really understand the h8.

rolleyes
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 08:53:22 AM by Daeven »

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #230 on: October 12, 2005, 08:42:04 PM

« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 08:46:48 PM by WindupAtheist »

schild
Administrator

Reply #231 on: October 12, 2005, 09:02:57 PM

PS:

LOL

Obviously, you made that. But it doesn't matter. Because it was funny.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #232 on: October 12, 2005, 09:23:08 PM

How are estimated marketing costs not applicable? Clearly the movie had marketing, I've been seeing commercials for it for months.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #233 on: October 13, 2005, 02:25:14 AM

I thought I'd post this as amusing before Nutsack posted it as 'meaningful' :

http://www.columbian.com/lifeHome/lifeHomeNews/10102005news9829.cfm

schild
Administrator

Reply #234 on: October 13, 2005, 03:08:05 AM

I thought I'd post this as amusing before Nutsack posted it as 'meaningful' :

http://www.columbian.com/lifeHome/lifeHomeNews/10102005news9829.cfm

That's not "meaningful" or "amusing" - that's a Whedon Cultist. It's the sort of shit a Buffy/Angel fanboi does. Comparing him to a trekkie was 110% spot on.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #235 on: October 13, 2005, 03:33:51 AM

Yeah and I agree.  It's nonsense and should be ridiculed as such.  You don't find Trekkies amusing ?  Or cultists ?  I do.

What I didn't want is for anyone to post it and say "hahhaha, teh taers of tah jaded and ownnnt.  Lollll!!!"1)"

If you see what I mean.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #236 on: October 13, 2005, 01:26:51 PM

hahhaha, teh taers of tah jaded and ownnnt.  Lollll!!!"1

Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #237 on: October 13, 2005, 01:31:43 PM

That name change is the coolest invention ever.  Even cooler than this:

Well, maybe not cooler.  But they are on the same plane.

Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #238 on: October 13, 2005, 07:37:06 PM

How are estimated marketing costs not applicable?

I think it means not available.  Quite a number of the movies I was looking at are marked that.

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
WindupAtheist^2
Terracotta Army

Reply #239 on: October 13, 2005, 09:16:31 PM

Oh noes!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #240 on: October 14, 2005, 03:04:48 AM

Oh noes!

"WindupAtheist^2"

Okay now...

I don't think even SirBruce took it this far. Even he knew when to can it.

Why do care so much that no one here likes you? Why do you feel the need to make an alt profile and post...Again? Act like a fucking man and leave. Or just shut the fuck up for a while.

[edit] Oh noes!

Eh, didn't see the other thread...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2005, 03:10:25 AM by Stray »
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #241 on: October 15, 2005, 11:30:59 PM

Just saw it.  Loved it.

When they find the tape on the poor scientist lady's ship, Mal says something about her ship being old and Serenity not having equipment to play the tape thing.  Fairly sure....

Also, the point about installing her player in Serenity doesn't bother me, they don't have a computer geek in the crew... kinda like asking your auto mechanic to get MythTV installed for you.  Maybe they could have done it, but they may not have thought of it.

I'd worry more about the fact that Mr. Universe had a seekrit player setup with the exact right drive all set to go.  They should have had the robot fix up something out of the broken stuff.

The whole Miranda thing was pure genius IMO, much better than that Clone Wars crap.  You just know there are people in government right now who would be willing to try something like that.

Why don't you try our other games?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #242 on: October 16, 2005, 01:39:32 AM

but they may not have thought of it.

That's kinda the only thing I have trouble with.  I can suspend disbelief on a lot of crazy crap, but having a crew that includes multiple genius-level IQs not spot an easy answer isn't one of them.   wink

The whole Miranda thing was pure genius IMO, much better than that Clone Wars crap.  You just know there are people in government right now who would be willing to try something like that.

Agreed.  And I was very happy that they had rational explanation of some sort for the Reavers.  The whole "went mad on the edge of space" thing always sounded like a load of crap to me.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #243 on: October 16, 2005, 05:57:39 AM

Hrm, talking about continuities, one thing _did_ seriously bother me after seeing the film:

About the Reavers. How the hell is it that they are completely batshit insane (as explained by the vid they find on Miranda), yet are still somehow able to operate very complex machinery such as spacecraft (particularly the big cruiser-type ones that would require large numbers of them working in unison) with any semblance of cohesion? Furthermore, why have they not turned on each other and self-destructed as a society in the ten years that they've been floating around in "Reaver space", since i would imagine they'd get pretty bored after a while. I know Wash mentiones them sending out raiding parties, but on how large a scale? Enough to satisfy the collective insanity of several hundred thousand (or however many there are)?

- meg

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #244 on: October 16, 2005, 07:15:25 AM

Same way Chaos Space Marines have been doing Black Crusades every few 1000 years....

(Anyone else think reavers=Warhammer40K Khorne Chaos army?)

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Serenity spoiler thread  
Jump to: