Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:08:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Computer Problems.... 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer Problems....  (Read 3850 times)
Jacob0883
Terracotta Army

on: May 07, 2004, 09:30:09 PM

Hello,

I just came home for the summer to find out that my little sister has broken her computer again.  I can usually fix stuff, but this time I am lost.  I think that the hard drive is done, but I am not sure.  I need help!!!

It's a Emachine from Wal-Mart.  One of the $500.  It is good enough for what she needs though.  Anyway, whenever it starts up it apologizes and says windows can't start because there was some sort of problem.  It give me a couple of choices to do.  Start normal windows, go into 3 different safe modes, or use last good configuration.  I have tried all 3 of these, but all it does it just restart again and bring me back to this screen.  She said the last time she used the computer, she had to turn it off by flipping the switch on the surge protector because the power button wasn't working.  I am have no idea what is wrong, or what to do.  So, any help is great help.  

Thanks guys!
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 09:46:32 PM

Blaster or Sassy sounds like.

google the problem, you'll get the answer.

This post bothers me.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 09:48:34 PM

I agree there is something unsettling about it's structure.
Jacob0883
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 09:57:20 PM

What bugs you so much about it?  Is it the fact that someone is not complaining and bitching about why this site sucks now?  Geez, I am just trying to get a little help here.  I don't think it is blaster or sassy(I did google this already and with no prevail).  From what I have read, they only seem to mess up the internet and slow down the computer.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 10:01:20 PM

Hey hey now, don't get defensive, we're trying to entertain ourselves, if we had an answer to give we woulda given it.

Though, without knowing more specifics (like VERY specific stuff) about the problem, the most likely answer will be boot off a cd and reformat.
Jacob0883
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 10:11:48 PM

Yeah, I guess that is what I am going to do.  Hopefully I can find the stinking CD though.  Sorry about the little skirmish, I had a nice 9 hour drive today.   Needless to say, drives don't put people in good moods.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 08:26:02 AM

I don't think it is blaster or sassy(I did google this already and with no prevail). From what I have read, they only seem to mess up the internet and slow down the computer.

Actually, when I had blaster it would just randomly restart my computer.

Sassy did the same thing to our work computers.
Lanei
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2004, 10:14:30 AM

Depending on where during startup it is failing, it could have a number of causes.  

A virus/worm/etc can be possible, since those can corrupt the windows install.
Windows could have been corrupted some other way.
The hard drive could have gone bad.
The hard drive controller could have gone bad.
The power supply could have gone bad (if its not delivering enough voltage, the psu will cause symptoms resembling hard drive or controller failing)

First thing, try repairing the windows install, once you find the CD.  Especially if you want to try to back up data.
Second, format and resintall windows.  If symptoms persist during or shortly after windows install, look hardware causes.  
Throw a multimeter, if you have one, across the red and black wires (black is negatve) on an unconnected dirve power connector, with the computer on.  It should be about 5 volts.  If it's much less than 4.5 get a new power supply.
If you don't have a multimeter, replacing the power supply with a cheap 250-300 watt one from the local computer center is a good first step.  If the problem is power, this will fix it, of the problem isn't, you'll still have a good spare PSU for the next computer mishap.

That ought to get you started.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 11:26:34 AM

If it's an E machines, they are notorious for having cases that are near impossible to get a replacement PS that you would buy anyplace locally to fit inside their preform cases. The only option IF it's a PS issue would be to buy a new case/PS, and then transfer the guts out, which is only slightly more expensive than a PS anyway (E-machines also sometimes require breaking pop rivets to get the MB out).

If it is booting into Safe mode, it could also be a bad sector in an OS file, especially if the last problem was a non windows shutdown. What OS are we dealing with here? Exact computer configuration, OS, MB, Mhz, RAM, HD size, is all something that could aid with this issue.

Easiest thing to do, if you don't believe it's a virus and have a stable machine, with AV software, is to remove 4 screws and transfer the drive to another case and diagnose it through Windows. This process also allows an OS file check, scan-disk, and data back-up with the easiest steps and least time consuming answer.

I always use format/reinstall as a last resort.

Just a little note Schild, what exactly as a site admin was your constructive posts in this thread contributing? Troll-bumping is so 1987... I always remember some advice my wise old grandmother (and most of them I know have said this) "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all."

{Pls feel free to stalinize this, because it makes the admins look worse not better}

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Jacob0883
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 08:12:16 PM

I went ahead and reformatted because the only thing she lost was her Sims saved games.  I really don't know what the problem was though.  There is something weird going on again, however.  As soon as she turns it on, 10 - 20 different ad wares download themselves.  This does not happen to any other computer in the house and they are all set up the same way.  It is windows XP home, 128 MB, 40 GB HD, Athlon 2200.  I have had to run spy sweeper on it 5 times since the format, this afternoon, and every time it finds nearly 1500 traces.  This is just from turning the computer on too.  Like I said though, this doesn't happen on any other computer in the house and they are all connected to the same router.  I even set her security up to high on IE and it still downloads everytime.  With the little memory she has, this really brings the cpu to a standstill.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 10:26:29 PM

ok, call me stupid, but if this is the 4th or 5th time you have "reboot, watch PC snag add crap" then try this:

Download the newest version of add aware,
Download the newest version of Spybot search and destroy
Download the newest version of any other Spy/Add bot remover you feel inclined to

Install all of them.

Run all of them.

UNPLUG THE PC FROM THE INTERNET and reboot.

Run them all again.

Repeat once or twice and THEN reconnect the PC online and see if it keeps dowlnoading spyware.

Also, a good idea is to get Zone Alarm (or any other good firewall program) and install it as well.

Finally, go here and get Process Explorer (you might have to find and install the Microsoft Debugging Toolkit as well, it should be listed on their site).  This nifty little program is like the XP task manager on steroids, and can let you find and kill those annoying little spambot programs that sit resident in memory and cant be deleted becauyse they are still running.  Find their home directory, kill them dead, and then delete the bastards before rebooting.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 10:31:21 PM

It may almost be faster to reformat, install windows XP, and leave it unplugged from the internet until you have your firewall and everything else set up.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2004, 10:41:26 PM

true, very true, however, I still feel it is nice to give him a couple of options to try :P

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
UD_Delt
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 07:10:21 AM

Do eMachines come with a real copy of XP or one of those rebuild type disks. I remember buying a cheap PC that came with Win 2k but it wasn't a real MS version it was an HP (I think) disk that loaded 2k and all kinds of other HP crap along with it.

I'm not sure if XP works the same way or not as I got a no-registration needed copy of XP-Pro from our MS consultant here at work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Computer Problems....  
Jump to: