Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Eye Candy? Phat Lewts? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eye Candy? Phat Lewts?  (Read 4664 times)
jpark
Terracotta Army

on: September 26, 2005, 12:42:40 PM

Where is it?

My level 16 bruiser inspected a level 45 Monk yesterday.  I did it because I thought the guy was a peer - I had no idea he was 45 - his gear did not look much different than mine.  Fuck its bad - excluding plate wearers (marginally) - the higher level gear visuals are unremarkable.  Even this Monk's staff - at level 45 - looked blah - wood like mine - with a carving at the end of it. 

I dunno - it kills me when you can look at characters 30 levels higher than you in the game - and not really notice it.  In WoW you could never make this mistake - in EQ2 - it's not immediately obvious at all based on gear visuals someone is near max level.  Meh.

They hiring any artists soon?

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 27, 2005, 07:42:19 AM

They have some lame excuse that has something to do with that they have 32 race/gender combinations and every gender/race combination can be any class sooo... thats a crap load of art for each new model.  I'm not even going to start on how this decision makes everything plain and generic looking.

IMO they borked thier art direction at the design phase and no-one on thier team had the balls to tell them it was unworkable.

There is quite a bit of art floating around from early beta that shows unique race/class combination armor and robes and such and some of it looks amazing, all of that got cut before launch though because someone high-up has a 'vision'.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #2 on: September 27, 2005, 08:39:11 AM

The bigger problem is that they decided to go with "real" over interesting. This meams they are stuck with greys and browns mostly. I am not a big fan of "peacocking" in MMOGs though. I would rather they let everyone dye their armor whatever color they want.

I have never played WoW.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 09:14:55 AM

On the permutations involved for customization - EQ has more to offer than EQ2 - e.g. there are racial armor appearance differences.

Anyway, a guy in my group commented that almost no one in EQ2 shows their helm - the visuals are turned off.  Of course I thought - once you slap full plate mail on a Kerra - and show the helm - you would almost never know it's a Kerra anymore.

Referring to the thread going right now on the importance of customization in another forum - the lack of this ability to differentiate armors in EQ2 is indeed ironic.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2005, 09:17:28 AM by jpark »

"  HaemishM.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 10:51:33 AM

once you slap full plate mail on a Kerra - and show the helm - you would almost never know it's a Kerra anymore.

True, except that some helm have Kerra ear armor (and look stupid for doing so).
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 11:05:16 AM

Color modification would be very nice. As for art assets. I think there is a lot of body type sharing.

Of course... WOW doesnt have

/cutemode

shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 11:13:01 AM

EQ2 definitely blew it in the art design. The game could really use some flare in armor/weapon/outdoor design.

I have never played WoW.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 11:16:47 AM

I fiigure that will be in the next expansion...

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2005, 08:17:01 AM

Did I mention /cutemode?

« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 07:30:12 PM by Furiously »

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #9 on: September 28, 2005, 02:56:22 PM

Wait....you cannot be serious....cutemode?

EDIT: (googled, confirmed) Wow....well, at least they're trying Something.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 03:36:14 AM

/cutemode
Damm you. Now I am tempted to acutally subscribe to that game  evil

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 09:06:59 AM

Cutemod.  Now that is funny - even "charming" and creative.

Obviously an aberration in the game.

"  HaemishM.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 10:16:13 AM

They had me at the quest "Snakes, he hates snakes".

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 09:40:39 PM

They have some lame excuse that has something to do with that they have 32 race/gender combinations and every gender/race combination can be any class sooo... thats a crap load of art for each new model.

Lame indeed.  Sorry Sony, but amateur hour is over.  If you have a shitload of possible race/class/gender combinations, you expend the resources to make every last one look good.  If that means your budget is a hundred million dollars, then you spend a hundred million fucking dollars.  Otherwise you can stand there and cry while Blizzard eats your lunch and feels up your girlfriend.  You can sit on the niche-game shitheap, with products developed by companies which at least have the excuse that they didn't expend those resources because they didn't have them.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #14 on: October 01, 2005, 10:25:13 PM

They have some lame excuse that has something to do with that they have 32 race/gender combinations and every gender/race combination can be any class sooo... thats a crap load of art for each new model.

Lame indeed.  Sorry Sony, but amateur hour is over.  If you have a shitload of possible race/class/gender combinations, you expend the resources to make every last one look good.  If that means your budget is a hundred million dollars, then you spend a hundred million fucking dollars.  Otherwise you can stand there and cry while Blizzard eats your lunch and feels up your girlfriend.  You can sit on the niche-game shitheap, with products developed by companies which at least have the excuse that they didn't expend those resources because they didn't have them.

Still playing UO, eh?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 04:16:59 AM

Still playing UO, eh?

Thank you, now I have to clean my keyboard AND my monitor, again.
 :-D

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 12:50:36 AM

Still playing UO, eh?

Don't get me wrong.  Blizzard spent a hundred million dollars making a game for retarded kids, and hit the jackpot because retarded kids love Blizzard.  But the bottom line is that they came to the marketplace willing to expend the resources required to dominate.  Electronic Arts, on the other hand, hires retarded kids to do the artwork for UO because they can pay them in peanut butter sandwiches.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 08:54:28 AM

Recently patched in quest exp increase is meaningful and most excellent. Only taken me about 8 hours of playing (not pure grinding) to get more than halfway through 40.

I have never played WoW.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #18 on: October 10, 2005, 10:00:23 AM

Don't get me wrong.  Blizzard spent a hundred million dollars making a game for retarded kids, and hit the jackpot because retarded kids love Blizzard.  But the bottom line is that they came to the marketplace willing to expend the resources required to dominate.  Electronic Arts, on the other hand, hires retarded kids to do the artwork for UO because they can pay them in peanut butter sandwiches.

I do agree with you on this point, and was just jabbing at your current preference.  Another major difference in attitudes between Blizzard and Sony seems to be over graphics and gameplay.  WoW went for a more cartoony feel where as EQ2 went for a more realistic feel.  Key here is you are making a GAME.  In UO's defense they do not need to do this so much since they are more of a sandbox mentality; of course they attempted to deviate instead of designing to their strengths, but we have already established a big FUCK YOU to EA. 

Yeah, realism is good for about 5 minutes, but in the long run it will most likely hinder performance (I had to double my RAM just to fucking play EQ2).

Moral of the story?  Spend money to build up your games strengths, and keep your Project Leads at your company. 

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Eye Candy? Phat Lewts?  
Jump to: