Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Positron Task Force Mission 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Positron Task Force Mission  (Read 7621 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: May 07, 2004, 09:59:47 AM

I've reached 12, and may make 13 by Saturday and wanted to do the Positron Task Force mission before I level past it. Since I can only do that kind of thing on weekends, I figured I'd try this Saturday or Sunday.

Who wants to join me on Saturday around 5 pm CST (6 pm EST)? I'm assuming I don't need anything but a group to start the thing off. Meet up at Positron in Steel Canyon (Blyde Square area) and we'll go from there.

I think we need a minimum of 4, maximum of 8, and the more folks, the longer it takes. That's about all I know about it.

WayAbvPar

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 10:01:23 AM

I am only 1/2 way through 10th level, but I would be happy to join ya. I think my wife is working tomorrow, so I should have the afternoon to myself.

Edit- I should be able to catass myself to at least 11th by then. Is that high enough not to be a detriment? My shortbus playstyle is enough trouble...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 10:21:06 AM

Quote from: HaemishM

Who wants to join me on Saturday around 5 pm CST (6 pm EST)? I'm assuming I don't need anything but a group to start the thing off. Meet up at Positron in Steel Canyon (Blyde Square area) and we'll go from there.

I'd love to join but a friend of mine has promised he would come over and play hitman contracts on Saturday.  The thing is, my friend always says he's coming over, then at the last minute his work fucks him and he has to work.  I figure that's whats going to happen tommorrow, so if it does I'll meet up with you guys at (3 pm PDT right?) and if there is a spot left I'll join.  If there are no spots left or if you guys are trying to keep the group small and you don't need me then that's fine.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 11:15:30 AM

Yeah, 5 pm CDT is 3 pm PDT. The Cubs game should be over by then. :)

Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 11:25:07 AM

how do you find out about these Task Force missions anyway... are they specifically noted by a Contact or found independantly?

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Valmorian
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 11:46:13 AM

Yeah, 5 pm CDT is 3 pm PDT. The Cubs game should be over by then. :)

What are the Max/Min levels?  I have a level 14 and a few level 8-9's...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 12:01:42 PM

I think it's 12-14 or 15. Could someone who has done the mission before tell me if that's right?

schild
Administrator

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 12:36:14 PM

Task force missions are:

Positron in Steel Canyon (Blyde Square): 10-15
Synapse in Skyway City (just east of yellow line): 15-20
Some girl in Independence Port: 20-25

etc.etc.

After you finish one, it points you to the next one.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 01:23:10 PM

Woops, I just levelled past Positron :(

It'd be nice if there was a way to find this shit out beforehand, ingame.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 02:53:11 PM

I think the leader has to be 14-15 for the Positron one and the rest have to be 12-15.  I could be wrong on that.
schild
Administrator

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 02:58:15 PM

Nope. A group of level 10's can do it.
Delf
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 10:48:34 PM

I'm up for it, as well.

Aren't Task Force missions still broken, though?
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 10:51:30 PM

Yes.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: May 08, 2004, 12:55:07 AM

The missions are still pretty fun though, and an ok way to level.  Just don't go into them expecting to actually be able to finish the TF, expecting a reward, and don't grind through 12 hours of missions trying to get to the end unless you were planning on being on that long anyways.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #14 on: May 08, 2004, 01:07:10 AM

Alas, both The Nanites and Conjecture have hit lvl 16, so I'm out.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: May 08, 2004, 02:07:52 AM

On a related note:  http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=general&Number=349495&bodyprev=#Post349495

I was wondering where that SO in my inventory came from.  I'm not too happy about the major TF problems, but I've got to give these guys credit for coming through with the compensation.  Not something I'd picture Mythic or SOE doing.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: May 08, 2004, 08:03:45 AM

I have a level 11 something or other and I'd like to give it a go.  I'll have to check back later, though... today we're looking at new flats as I want desperatly to move from this crappy, over-priced one.  I may be very, very grumpy tonight in which case you won't want to know me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Delf
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 09, 2004, 08:07:22 AM

If you missed it, you missed a long night that ended in frustration. We had a good time, died a lot (2 blasters, 2 scrappers and a controller) and worked around the first bug we encountered. But we ended up in a situation where all of the contacts we'd encountered in the TF were telling us we were in the middle of somebody else's quest step, but our mission list was empty. Since it was getting close to 1 AM Pacific time, we hung it up.

On the plus side, at least two of our number leveled during the TF, I leveled about four mobs after we broke up for the night, and I've scientifically verified that the XP debt system caps out at 5 bubbles of debt. (Around 2500xp at 11th level.) You're welcome.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #18 on: May 09, 2004, 08:50:56 AM

Sorry I didn't tag along, my friend actually showed up.. we played hitman contracts and got really fucking drunk and talked about how fucking cool PvP MUDs were and how we miss them.

In news that I am praying is completely un-related, my thumb hurts..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
WayAbvPar

Reply #19 on: May 09, 2004, 04:59:42 PM

Man, it was a grind. My wife was unthrilled by how long I played (I thought she was working later than she was, so she came home and was ready to go to a movie or dinner or something. Doh!). It was fun, however. Poor Delf's scrapper got some serious mileage running to and fro from the hospital (we were severely overmatched most of the night).

I would like to give it a try again if they fix the goddamned things. Also, I would be thrilled if I could find something besides recharge reduction enhancements (at two total separate points, I had 6 and then 7 of the fuggin' things).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
schild
Administrator

Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 05:16:10 PM

In other news the group can be as small as 3 people. It's also much easier if you have NO MORE than 4 people doing the missions. That's why I limit the task force groups I lead to 4.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 10, 2004, 05:05:12 AM

Given the abscence-of-missions nonsense that seems to go on around the end of each level band, is there any good reason a group with only a few hours to play shouldn't start a taskforce with no intention whatsoever of completing it?

The idea of a continuous run of instanced missions without all of that 'kill 15 generic mobs' building up in the arteries of the team mission sheet sounds appealling, unless there is some godawful penalty for not finishing successfully?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lanei
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 10, 2004, 07:47:40 AM

Quote from: eldaec
Given the abscence-of-missions nonsense that seems to go on around the end of each level band, is there any good reason a group with only a few hours to play shouldn't start a taskforce with no intention whatsoever of completing it?

The idea of a continuous run of instanced missions without all of that 'kill 15 generic mobs' building up in the arteries of the team mission sheet sounds appealling, unless there is some godawful penalty for not finishing successfully?

There is no penalty for quitting a TF before finishing it, except the lack of reward from the end of it.  Since that reward is broken anyway...
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #23 on: May 10, 2004, 11:56:49 AM

Actually, that might not be a bad idea for mission dryout in the 18-20 range.

Just do the Synapse missions with a group bigger than 4 but smaller than 8 (to get more bad guys to maximize xp, but trying to minimize death), then when someone drops, all quit the TF, then restart it with the new group.

You could spend a good Saturday catassing doing that and never really deal with lag or mapserver errors for the most part.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #24 on: May 10, 2004, 12:32:27 PM

Jesus Christ that shit was a hard grind. It was fun, don't get me wrong, but my computer chair is teh sux and my back was fucking killing me. I didn't play all Sunday because of it. Instead, I tried to install WinXP on a spare HD I had, and gave up when I couldn't get it to work ICS with a Win98SE machine. I'm a fucking idiot.

The missions were damned fun. I think we could have died less, but we went into the first few fights with the RAAAAAAAAAAAAAGHHHH mindset and got smoked like Elton John smokes pole. I mean smoked like a pack of Kool's Menthols. We had no defender/healer. Poor Delf learned the way back to the missions from the hospital quite well. Once we started using stratergy, we actually did much better. We had 5 in the group, the 5th being Lady Discord, a pickup mutation controller, who helped a lot. It might not have been so bad with 4 (less mobs) or 6 (more killers). Weirdly enough, instead of front-loaded missions, we seemed to get a front-loaded TF. All the first 3 missions were a bitch and a half, and they fell off to cakewalks after that. I dinged to 13 during the whole thing.

Handy tip, even if you aren't going to lead the thing. Reboot before you log in, especially on Win98SE. I'm not sure if there is a memory leak or not, but performance went to shit after the 5th or 6th hour.

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: May 10, 2004, 12:49:32 PM

Haemish, my boy, you have GOT to enter a contest to win an uber computer. WIN98SE? Didn't they drop support for that already?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: May 10, 2004, 12:59:12 PM

When Microsoft starts giving away WinXP Home CD's or I get a sugar daddy, I'll upgrade. Until then, I works with what I gots.

Being broke is teh suXx0rz.

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: May 10, 2004, 01:10:41 PM

Whats your box like? I think I've got a few (5 or so) legit copies of xp or 2000 lying around from Intel promotions that i got during my Best Buy days...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #28 on: May 10, 2004, 02:28:18 PM

I've got a 1.3 Ghz AMD Athlon w/ 256MB RAM (DDR) and 40GB HD, as well as a P3 800 Mhz with 512 MB RAM.

WayAbvPar

Reply #29 on: May 10, 2004, 03:16:12 PM

Grab another 1/2 gig of RAM and that should work fine. My system is only marginally better with a LOT more RAM (GeForce Ti200 128 MB vid card and 768 MB DDR RAM), and I rarely have trouble. I have noticed that my system is a little sluggish after I quit to desktop, but other than the occasional error, no real issues for me.

I bet an OS upgrade would do wonders for you as well =)

schild
Administrator

Reply #30 on: May 10, 2004, 03:53:41 PM

Yes, WayAbv is correct, by at LEAST 1/2 gig of ram and put Windows XP on there. If you're REALLY adverse to being warez-y about it, I may be able to hook you up if necessary.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: May 11, 2004, 01:17:27 AM

Handy tip, even if you aren't going to lead the thing. Reboot before you log in, especially on Win98SE. I'm not sure if there is a memory leak or not, but performance went to shit after the 5th or 6th hour.

I'm pretty sure there is a memory leak - I get the same thing whatever I'm doing after about the same time. Very reminiscent of preSI daoc.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: May 11, 2004, 09:29:09 AM

The first thing going in the computer is either more RAM or a beefier power supply to keep me from having to unplug it for a minute between reboots. It's not a critical thing, but can be a huge pain in the ass for installing some stuff. It's just a matter of which I can afford first. Down the list is better video card, OS upgrade for both machines and a router/new DSL modem.

My grasp exceeds my reach.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Positron Task Force Mission  
Jump to: