Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:14:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMOG News 5/7/04: Our Expanding Universe 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: MMOG News 5/7/04: Our Expanding Universe  (Read 4814 times)
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

on: May 07, 2004, 07:52:35 AM

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 08:04:11 AM

The image designer revamp is a fucking piece of shit.  They didn't want to actually change the character models by adding new hair, or tatoos like they really wanted, instead they have... "Particle Effect Emotes".  WHAT THE FUCK?

I mean shit like musical notes hanging around your head and fucking bubbles coming out of your scalp.  One looks like a giant pokemon is dancing on your head.  Or a big skull that hangs over your head.  They are fucking incredibly lame and have NOTHING to do with image design.  SUCKITY SUCK SUCK.  I don't know a singe ID who is happy about the upcoming changes.  Nobody wants them.  Massive disconnect on the devs part.  No surprise there.  Effects like that would fit better for entertainers, as they already have all sorts of particle effect things they can trigger off.  And those that actually like playing entertainers really like that kind of thing.  But it matches NOTHING that the IDs wanted.

And new levels to EQ?  Ugh.  New engine could be nice, but new levels?  ACK.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 08:29:15 AM

Quote from: Alluvian

And new levels to EQ?  Ugh.  New engine could be nice, but new levels?  ACK.

Jes~ And if you look at the screenshot section, you'll notice that at level 70, you too can be fighting... RATS and BATS all over again! Just like the good old days of level fucking 1. How. Lame. EQ.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 08:30:08 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what's so spiffy about that new EQ engine. The screenshots give me no frame of reference other than maybe the newer, just as shitty rats.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 01:27:20 PM

For more MMORPG related entertainment you can read a Warcry interview with David Allen blaming 98% of the game industry for him never finishing any products here: http://www.warcry.com/scripts/columns/view_sectionalt.phtml?site=15&id=102&colid=2760
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 01:49:01 PM

Wow, David Allen is such a messiah complex prick.

Of course, he has some valid points about not just the game industry, but the tech industry in general. They overpayed during the Net boom for employees, office space, investments, etc. and now they are cutting salaries and staffs to the bone to make those same businesses profitable. IMO, the fact that almost every game dev I've ever talked to takes 80 hour work weeks during crunch time to be par for the course is sad. Just one of the reasons we have a lot of shitty products being released buggy as hell.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 01:57:23 PM

Quote from: Velorath
For more MMORPG related entertainment you can read a Warcry interview with David Allen blaming 98% of the game industry for him never finishing any products here: http://www.warcry.com/scripts/columns/view_sectionalt.phtml?site=15&id=102&colid=2760

What a fucking tool.

The past few years have been miserable. Dealing with what happened at Artifact and the continued malicious behavior by the company and its members paired with a tanking industry where investors stopped writing checks; well, it was bad to say the least.

Maybe investors stopped paying you because you never made a fucking successful product?  I love how they say he is no stranger to the gaming world and then list fucking MORDOR as his main product.

He was in the wrong fucking industry.  Good riddance.  Go spend some other investors money on some other failed product.  Maybe group up with the infinium labs people.  I hear they are hiring.
Flashman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 04:34:40 PM

And SWG sinks deeper into becoming EQ in space.....what was originally supposed to be a no-loot/no-camping system has in one year become exactly that.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2004, 12:03:04 AM

Quote from: HaemishM
Wow, David Allen is such a messiah complex prick.

Of course, he has some valid points about not just the game industry, but the tech industry in general. They overpayed during the Net boom for employees, office space, investments, etc. and now they are cutting salaries and staffs to the bone to make those same businesses profitable. IMO, the fact that almost every game dev I've ever talked to takes 80 hour work weeks during crunch time to be par for the course is sad. Just one of the reasons we have a lot of shitty products being released buggy as hell.

I'll agree that he had some points, although it's shit we've all pretty much known for a while now.  But damn, I don't have an especially high opinion of Warcry to begin with (they're the ones who recently brought us the Wild West Sim interview), but why even bother interviewing David Allen?  So he can tell us about the Diablo II clone he was working on that so fucking original that he can't describe it, right after telling us it's pretty much D2 with some more quests and shit?  Or talk about how 20' tall quest-giving DM-controlled angels is where MMORPG's should be at right now?  I'd love to find out who the hell invested in any of this guy's ideas.  God knows I could use a fucking free ride for a few years with no product to show for it at the end.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: MMOG News 5/7/04: Our Expanding Universe  
Jump to: