Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:17:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Dear MMOG 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear MMOG  (Read 15285 times)
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: May 10, 2004, 07:36:46 PM

I think you have it backwards, but maybe Raph could shed more light.  I think Lucasarts looked to SOE as someone to make their MMOG and not the other way around.  I believe SOE's involvement up front was SURE we will, if you give us X amount of money and sign here, here, here, and here.

The deal may have been more cooperative than that, but it is not really SOEs game as I understand it.  They were the developers.
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: May 11, 2004, 09:04:35 AM

No, sir. SOE is not a risk-taking company in the MMOG department, and they don't need to be.

Several people have, in essense, asked MMOG devs to take more risks.  The top MMOG gaves are ones which did NOT take risks in their design.  UO was originally scaled for what, something like 30k users?  EQ was based on the well-established DIKU model.  Being firsts on the market helped, too (but counting MUDs, the market wasn't really new - the genre was ~20y old).  Also, it's worth noting that taking risks is easy to do when it's not your money, and since it appears that big risks are not leading to big rewards... really, what do people expect to happen?

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: May 11, 2004, 09:35:11 AM

Quote from: Roac
No, sir. SOE is not a risk-taking company in the MMOG department, and they don't need to be.

Several people have, in essense, asked MMOG devs to take more risks.  The top MMOG gaves are ones which did NOT take risks in their design.  UO was originally scaled for what, something like 30k users?  EQ was based on the well-established DIKU model.  Being firsts on the market helped, too (but counting MUDs, the market wasn't really new - the genre was ~20y old).  Also, it's worth noting that taking risks is easy to do when it's not your money, and since it appears that big risks are not leading to big rewards... really, what do people expect to happen?

And if I'm an investor? ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Roac
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: May 11, 2004, 10:23:27 AM

And if I'm an investor? ;)

Where's your game that solves all our ills? :)

-Roac
King of Ravens

"Young people who pretend to be wise to the ways of the world are mostly just cynics. Cynicism masquerades as wisdom, but it is the farthest thing from it. Because cynics don't learn anything. Because cynicism is a self-imposed blindness, a rejection of the world because we are afraid it will hurt us or disappoint us." -SC
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Dear MMOG  
Jump to: