Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:31:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: "Yeah, I'm gonna Break your Back alright..." 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Yeah, I'm gonna Break your Back alright..."  (Read 10903 times)
Miguel
Terracotta Army

कुशल

on: September 16, 2005, 03:47:04 PM

Well, it seems like it has finally arrived.  That's right...a movie about gay cowboys:

Brokeback Mountain

Did anyone else do a double take when they saw the preview for this?  To see that guy from Donnie Darko having sweaty man-sex with that guy from Knight Tales?  I was quite in shock to see this coming as a major theatrical release.  I did see it in a San Francisco theater, so that may have something to do with it.

You think the average popcorn-eating Coke-swilling moviegoer is ready to see this kind of 'action' on the big screen?

Ok, you can commence with more 'Broke Back' jokes...;)

“We have competent people thinking about this stuff. We’re not just making shit up.” -Neil deGrasse Tyson
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2005, 04:25:31 PM

It's set on a sheepherding ranch. Make your own joke.

Seriously, I'm suprised if they are going for a full release. Its got some pretty big star power and Ang Lee behind it, but that kind of suject matter makes rednecks burn down movie theatres.

I'll admit I'm biased in that I prefer my homoerotic movies to be about women. I'll just go watch my copy of D.E.B.S. again. :P

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2005, 05:57:37 PM

Well, if My Own Private Idaho and Velvet Goldmine didn't sop my underoos then this certainly will. Where the hell is Sobelius? Honey, we love this right? It couldn't get any better if (pardon my Savagism) Brad Pitt were blowing Ashton Kutcher.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 12:59:13 AM

MOST movies that are indy and/or made outside the U.S. are about gay cowboys.  Eating pudding.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: September 17, 2005, 02:18:48 AM

MOST movies that are indy and/or made outside the U.S. are about gay cowboys.  Eating pudding.

Insert obvious joke here.

Maybe pudding-pops.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 03:03:52 AM

Well, if My Own Private Idaho and Velvet Goldmine didn't sop my underoos then this certainly will. Where the hell is Sobelius? Honey, we love this right? It couldn't get any better if (pardon my Savagism) Brad Pitt were blowing Ashton Kutcher.

There's a difference between a story about a homeless, narcoleptic man-whore and....Gay cowboys. I don't mind stories that contain homosexuality or anything, but this just sounds like a film done to get people's goat (or sheep?....whatever).
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 17, 2005, 06:37:19 AM

Its all a part of the gay liberal agenda conspiracy plan.  Fortunately, no one can stop us from home-schooling our children in fear and hatred.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2005, 08:39:42 AM

See, again its a gender bias thing for me. I couldn't make it through Private Idaho, but I really enjoyed Better than Chocolate, even though by all rights it was a pure chick flick type of movie.

AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 17, 2005, 10:07:41 AM

See, again its a gender bias thing for me. I couldn't make it through Private Idaho, but I really enjoyed Better than Chocolate, even though by all rights it was a pure chick flick type of movie.
So, then: The "L" Word of Will & Grace? (Except the latter, being a family friendly sitcom, does not hame male-on-male smooching.)

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 17, 2005, 11:05:54 AM

Its all a part of the gay liberal agenda conspiracy plan.  Fortunately, no one can stop us from home-schooling our children in fear and hatred.

Not to turn a perfectly good gay cowboy thread into a politics thread, but I distinctly remember that when I participated in the National Spelling Bee like a third of the kids were home-schooled (and like four of the top ten).  There are similar disproportionate numbers in other high academic benchmarks- Westinghouse awards and the like.  The stereotype that homeschooled= dumb biblethumpers is simply untrue.  When done right, it is a far better education than one could hope to receive as one among hundreds/thousands in high school.

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #10 on: September 17, 2005, 11:36:29 AM

So, then: The "L" Word of Will & Grace? (Except the latter, being a family friendly sitcom, does not hame male-on-male smooching.)

I gave the L word a shot - even generous amounts of Mia Kirschner's lovely everything couldn't overcome the Melrose Placitis the show suffers from.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #11 on: September 17, 2005, 11:43:11 AM

(Except the latter, being a family friendly sitcom, does not hame male-on-male smooching.)

Not true; there was that one episode where Will kissed Jack to protest the lack of male-on-male smooching on network TV.  One of the few "good" episodes of Will and Grace.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 17, 2005, 11:54:30 AM

The stereotype that homeschooled= dumb biblethumpers is simply untrue.  When done right, it is a far better education than one could hope to receive as one among hundreds/thousands in high school.

This is wrong on a couple of levels.

Home schooling works well today because few people do it, and the people that DO do it are the people who generally are really into education. That has less to do with home schooling and more to do with the parent. I would bet anything that if you took all those home schooled kids and put them in school they would still do very well compared to average students. The problem with advocating home schooling is that home schooling only works for a few families, and those families are mostly already home schooling. People who talk about encouraging home schooling are off base.

Two, you forgot to mention that a lot of home schooled children have various emotional/maturity issues.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 17, 2005, 12:31:43 PM

The stereotype that homeschooled= dumb biblethumpers is simply untrue.  When done right, it is a far better education than one could hope to receive as one among hundreds/thousands in high school.

This is wrong on a couple of levels.

Home schooling works well today because few people do it, and the people that DO do it are the people who generally are really into education. That has less to do with home schooling and more to do with the parent. I would bet anything that if you took all those home schooled kids and put them in school they would still do very well compared to average students. The problem with advocating home schooling is that home schooling only works for a few families, and those families are mostly already home schooling. People who talk about encouraging home schooling are off base.

Two, you forgot to mention that a lot of home schooled children have various emotional/maturity issues.

I never said that everybody should do it or that it will work for everyone.  It works for most of the people doing it NOW for the reasons you described, among others.  I was simply addressing the contention that home schooled=stupid fundy, which you did not address.

And I seriously doubt that home schooled kids have any more problems than the school population as a whole.  Some home schoolers have socialization problems because they interact with no one and thus come to bad ends/do bad things, some public/private school kids become outcasts or are tormented mercilessly and the results are the same.  Pick your poison. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 12:33:55 PM by Triforcer »

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 01:45:00 PM

Well, if My Own Private Idaho and Velvet Goldmine didn't sop my underoos then this certainly will.

So far you and my girlfriend are the only two women I know of who have admitted that two guys getting it on does turn them on. (Signe seems to just enjoy griefing with it.)

Sadly for my girlfriend, it is a pleasure she will never know in reality.  Because I'm not making out with a dude.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 02:27:06 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #15 on: September 18, 2005, 01:03:15 AM

Well, if My Own Private Idaho and Velvet Goldmine didn't sop my underoos then this certainly will.

I don't know why, but underoos make me think of "granny panties."

That is nto a good thing. /retch

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #16 on: September 18, 2005, 12:09:31 PM

I don't know why, but underoos make me think of "granny panties."

That is nto a good thing. /retch

Underoos made me think of that scene in Charlie's Angels where Cameron Diaz is dancing around in front of a mirror in her underoos.

That's not really a good thing either.  Cameron Diaz tends to annoy the hell out of me.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #17 on: September 18, 2005, 02:29:59 PM

I loved Velvet Goldmine. So did my girlfriend.

<----- See avatar.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #18 on: September 18, 2005, 03:52:21 PM

Yeah cool flick. Iggy's pseudo name makes me  rolleyes though : "Curt Wild". Rofl.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #19 on: September 19, 2005, 10:45:12 AM

So far you and my girlfriend are the only two women I know of who have admitted that two guys getting it on does turn them on. (Signe seems to just enjoy griefing with it.)

Correction: seeing two hot guys getting it on. And it's more just fascinating than stimulating.

I recognized Morphiend's avatar right away. That guy was also in Bend it Like Beckham.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 19, 2005, 11:12:24 AM

Interesting sounding film with an unfortunate title. Sadly, the gay joke is likely going to be something along the line of "Bareback Mountain".

From what I've read about it, it sounds like it handles some of the most difficult aspect of two men falling in love when they are not in a position to be open about it -- especially in a rural setting during the early 1960's.

Plotwise, it's not something as many gay men have to face as they once might have. But it's still a modern-day reality, nonetheless, since the main characters go their separate ways, get married, have children, yet still long for each other. The universal story element here can be reduced to any two people in love who cannot be, or choose not to be, in a relationship with each other and the pain and difficulty of that.

A couple of other thoughts:

1. I wish they had cast two less recognizeable and "naturally good looking" men and opted instead for more everyday men. However, I have heard Ledge and Gyllenhall give excellent performances and prefer great performance over looks any day.

2. I am concerned that one of the conceits in the story -- that the men secretly keep meeting each other by telling their wives they are going on a "fishing trip" -- will cast a negative light on, or unfairly stigmatize, the practice of heterosexual men who truly enjoy getting away with their friends for a "guys weekend". Men, in my opinion, gay and straight, already suffer tremendously from not having opportunities to just "be" with each other and enjoy time together.

Regardless, though, I am looking forward to seeing this film.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Llava
Contributor

Reply #21 on: September 19, 2005, 05:56:51 PM

Correction: seeing two hot guys getting it on. And it's more just fascinating than stimulating.

Well yeah, but that's just assumed.  I can't imagine any guys who'd want to see Rosie O'Donnel and Ellen get it on.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: September 19, 2005, 08:10:52 PM

VL did say hot.... perhaps you can explain to the class how the two afore-mentioned ladies/industry powerhouses would characterize as "hot".  Well unless you're attracted to rich shugah mamas... ;)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #23 on: September 19, 2005, 08:13:41 PM

"None of you think power is sexy?"

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Llava
Contributor

Reply #24 on: September 19, 2005, 08:30:10 PM

VL did say hot.... perhaps you can explain to the class how the two afore-mentioned ladies/industry powerhouses would characterize as "hot".  Well unless you're attracted to rich shugah mamas... ;)

Well no, they're NOT hot.  That's the point.  She pointed out she specifically wants to watch "hot" guys get it on, and I said that's pretty much a given because I can list off a bunch of not hot girls that guys would NOT want to watch doing it.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: September 20, 2005, 12:10:09 AM

2. I am concerned that one of the conceits in the story -- that the men secretly keep meeting each other by telling their wives they are going on a "fishing trip" -- will cast a negative light on, or unfairly stigmatize, the practice of heterosexual men who truly enjoy getting away with their friends for a "guys weekend". Men, in my opinion, gay and straight, already suffer tremendously from not having opportunities to just "be" with each other and enjoy time together.

Women take note. When I go fishing, in no way do I actually intend to catch fish. I'm going down to the river to make crude jokes, drink a lot of beer, and fall asleep on the bank. If I do catch one, he damn well better be big enough to drag the pole into the water, because I ain't reelin his ass in. 

Some guys fish, some guys golf. Other hunt, or go rock climbing. Beware the ones that say they're going bowling.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: September 20, 2005, 05:37:15 AM

Women take note. When I go fishing, in no way do I actually intend to catch fish.

Damn skippy - amen Brother.

Beware the ones that say they're going bowling.

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #27 on: September 20, 2005, 11:41:34 AM

didn't the Kids in the Hall make a skit on someone making a movie just like this?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: "Yeah, I'm gonna Break your Back alright..."  
Jump to: