Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 02:04:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Hit Lvl 40 yet? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hit Lvl 40 yet?  (Read 6472 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

on: May 06, 2004, 06:12:10 PM

This guy did:

http://boards.cityofheroes.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=353338&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

"152 hours. 8.4 million total xp"

Fuck(!), even if I didn't play my alts, I'd only be hitting 20 by now. Hope this doesn't bring an Assault/Dev nerf..
Kyper
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 07:31:29 PM

Do you smell that?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 07:33:45 PM

Smells like Exploitation.
Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 07:42:17 PM

152/~11 days = ~13.8 hours a day

A jobless loser/catass, but it appears he didn't share the account.  Wonder how long it will take people after they nerf SS/Devices...

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 07:44:53 PM

Don't think they will. He did nothing spectacular it seems.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 01:55:17 AM

He only abused the 3x defense bonus of superspeed that was supposed to be fixed.

But on the plus side he feels really bad about it.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 05:24:40 AM

The guy has spent 14 hours a day since release doing nothing but playing his character. No granted, he exploited that defense bonus. Okay, so that's bad, BUT a true exploiter would have had level 40 in like 10 hours. ;)

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 08:24:25 AM

Only 23 more levels to go! Woo hoo!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 08:40:04 AM

Overheard in Broadcast last night a guy bragging and complaining (bragplaining?) how the game was 'broken' and he was offering to PL low level people with a certain exploit.  To my delight, and surprise, the channel filled up with people saying how stupid that would be to get PL'd in this game because just playing it straight-up is <brace for it> FUN!

Then the guy switched tactics and claimed we all were getting upset and we should quit the game if we couldn't handle people being PL'd... to which the general consensus remained "we're not upset, we just think you're stupid".

Also evident was a good deal of MMO-n00bness as people began to ask "what PL means?"... somebody in another thread pointed out how the game seems to have crossed over and brought new, no-prior-mmo-experience players into the genre.

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 09:16:00 AM

Why would you even WANT to be level 40 right now?  I know I don't.  I am level 13 and am annoyed that I am leveling faster than I can do all my missions.  A bunch went away at level 12 to be replaced with boomtown stuff.  Annoyed me, I wanted to do those.
WayAbvPar

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 09:53:45 AM

That guy's place must smell like a zoo.

On second thought, his mother probably cleans up for him while he toils away in the basement.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 09:54:56 AM

Wow, level 40 less than 2 weeks after release. Way to miss the fucking point of the game, you asstardic munchkin-fucking pixel monkey.

Now what?

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 07, 2004, 10:39:24 AM

Now the griefing begins!

Either that or he posts a diatribe about how horridly his class is gimped.

I'm never been the type to like the lowby levels - but in COH I'm in no hurry to get to the top. (Also cause I have problems figuring out what to play and keep rerolling).

Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: May 07, 2004, 11:10:43 AM

Look at the bright side:  The catasses will all cap out in a month, and then they'll leave.  

"I will not catass.  12-hour play sessions are the mind killer. I will let the the stupid wash over me, and when it has gone, only I will remain."

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #14 on: May 07, 2004, 11:30:51 AM

Total path of least resistance.   Threw out caltrops and was somehow able to actually root his targets with it instead of just slow them (something normally possible only against already slow targets).   Then he applied some Burn AoE DoT (applied the same way as caltrops) with Ignite (lvl 18 Assault Blaster ability) to his targets to hasten their being put down.  

He probably did this to multiple groups of mobs at a time.   Once rooted, he probably hid behind walls to prevent them from fighting back.  Avoided all mobs with good ranged attacks or mind control.   Making maximum use of the Super Speed defence buff doesn't help his case any(, although personally I haven't found the Super Speed defence buff to be all that useful since it gimps your own accuracy when active, but then I have low recycle claw attacks).

Still, several people here are right that he's missing out on the game by playing it like a race.   He's technically did most of his hunting in just four hazard zones.

We can probably look to nerfs probably coming in the immediate future to the effectiveness of caltrops at rooting, or possibily an increase in ranged mob attacks (which would *really* screw blasters).

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 07, 2004, 02:55:55 PM

I'm fully expecting any number of effect stacking caps to be applyed before long.

For instance most slow effects don't require an accuracy check, but stack 3 of almost any of them and you have unbreakable root.

Similar effects can be had with def bonuses.

Whether the nerf is needed is another thing, I remain unconvinced either way - but I'm kind of expecting it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: May 07, 2004, 03:50:10 PM

nah, because you have to keep THREE effects up at all times as opposed to 1.  Nothing imbalancing about that at all.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 07, 2004, 05:36:00 PM

Quote from: schild
Smells like Exploitation.

Teen Spirit?
Rampant Stupidity?
France?

feh.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: May 08, 2004, 02:13:39 AM

Quote from: Alluvian
nah, because you have to keep THREE effects up at all times as opposed to 1.  Nothing imbalancing about that at all.

Historically MMOG devs have believed that unbreakable root is more than three times more useful than a 33% slow. And tbh - they're right.

Worth noting that if one person runs three such powers themselves, end use would only barely outpace end regeneration.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: May 08, 2004, 07:46:06 AM

The caltrop rooting doesn't work without the superspeed.  Trust me I know.  To get close enough to a large group of baddies, like in a hot zone, and throw out the caltrops pretty much means you get plastered, and with a blaster it doesn't take many hits to kill you.

He has to be abusing the superspeed +def to run up and throw the caltrops and get back of attack range without ending up a chalk outline.

As far as the perma-root thing, caltrops does that to pretty much any blue con.  Some Mobs more affected than others but I don't think thats over-powered at all.  All your're really doing is forcing the mobs to use thier ranged attacks, the same as with hover or any of the boundary knockback powers or roots.  Rooted is not incapacitated.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 08, 2004, 07:48:39 AM

Quote from: eldaec
Quote from: Alluvian

Historically MMOG devs have believed that unbreakable root is more than three times more useful than a 33% slow. And tbh - they're right.

Worth noting that if one person runs three such powers themselves, end use would only barely outpace end regeneration.

Wtf are you talking about?  ALL the roots in CoH are unbreakable and ALL can be made to be 100% accurate.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #21 on: May 08, 2004, 07:51:08 AM

Actually, that's one of the reasons I like my energy blaster, even though he doesn't get any root powers. When a mob is recovering from knockback, he can't do anything but stand back up for a couple seconds, whereas rooted mobs can still function, just without movement.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: May 08, 2004, 08:16:12 AM

Quote from: Sky
Actually, that's one of the reasons I like my energy blaster, even though he doesn't get any root powers. When a mob is recovering from knockback, he can't do anything but stand back up for a couple seconds, whereas rooted mobs can still function, just without movement.
I think you're mixing Hold powers (mob becomes inactive, e.g. as a result of Controller primary powers) and Immobilization powers (which only affects movement). Two different "roots".

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 08, 2004, 08:19:50 AM

Quote from: AOFanboi
Quote from: Sky
I think you're mixing Hold powers (mob becomes inactive, e.g. as a result of Controller primary powers) and Immobilization powers (which only affects movement). Two different "roots".

No, I think he said it correctly, no blaster gets a 'Hold' but all of them except energy (his) gets a root.  He said he foudn the knockdown of energy made up for the lack of a root.

Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: May 10, 2004, 07:46:20 AM

As an electricity/electricity blaster, I get an immobilization root as one of my first powers, I can stop the mob's movement but he can still shoot, ect.  Recently, I got a Tesla Cage, which is a hold.  The mob is frozen and cannot act or move.  So as a blaster, I do get both.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #25 on: May 10, 2004, 11:17:59 AM

To immobilization eligability: Electricity yes, Energy no.   Of course, energy has foe knockback built in to every attack, so it balances out to an extent.    Energy does get some disorient hits as well, which is about as good as a root (foe shambles around, unable to attack).

Take a look at the kind of mob control those Defenders with Psychic Blast get.   Neigh all of the attacks slow the foe's attack speed.   Subdue immobilizes.   Telekinetic Blast knockbacks.   Will Domination sleeps.   Psychic Tornado AOE knockbacks.   Scramble Thhoughts disorients.   Psychic Wail AOE disorients.  

On the downside, most of these effects only have a chance to go off with the Psychic Blast Defender, where the effect is much more likely to go off in a Controller (100%) or Blaster (75% - 90%).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: Hit Lvl 40 yet?  
Jump to: