Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:20:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: 1.7 Hunters - Who's doing what ? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1.7 Hunters - Who's doing what ?  (Read 4809 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

on: September 15, 2005, 07:58:24 AM

Seriously, I logged on to 1.7 with my 32 hunter (stopped him ages ago because hunters need love so badly their cracks ached) and I'm totally fucking lost with everything. 

Bought ALL the pet trains and trained my pet up - and then ran out of points.  Looked at the talents and started down the marksmanship line.

What's anyone else doing ?  Anyone have any super leet info ?  For example, where can I learn Stealth for Hobbes ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 08:04:53 AM

Not a hunter but i roll with a few of them in our regular pvp group and let me tell ya Beast mastery is the shit now.  Every BG we played yesterday both the BM hunters where top in kills and with hardly any deaths.  To learn the stealth skill you need to tame a new cat that has it, not sure where you can find one of those but i think stranglethorn vale is probably a good place to look for rank 1.

I am the .00000001428%
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:38:47 AM

I have a level 33 hunter that I have a bear and a cat for as pets, the bear is supposed to get luv in 1.8, but cats are great right now.

The cat is a Feral Mountain Lion, level range 27-28 (Cower 3, Attack Speed: 1.20) from Azeroth – Hillsbrad Foothills area.  Fun cat and easy to get, untill you can get Broken Tooth - Brown 37 Badlands (1.0 AS) http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/mob.html?wmob=2850 which is one of the two 1.0 AS pets availble.  There is a bat in the new instance with an AS of 1.0...but it is level 60.  Hopefully Bliz adds more 1.0 AS pets.

The bear is Bjarn - White 12 Dun Morogh http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/mob.html?wmob=1130 have had him since level 12 and he is great for pve and leveling.  Hopefully the bear luv comes in a few months.

This site is great for ideas and help:
http://tkasomething.com/

also this area for help on the WoW boards:
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?FN=wow-hunter&T=358760&P=1

BM is pretty good for leveling and pvp now, I spec'ed out of Marksmenship and have had a good time leveling so far with BM.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 10:45:38 AM

Im a 41 Dwarf hunter that was waiting for the patch. I've gone 31 BM, 1 MM so far and I'm loving it. Bestial Wrath = luv.

I trained up Sin'dal with lev 5 endurance, lev 6 armor, and a a variety of resists. With 31 pts in BM, he does about 40 dps most of the time and around 80 dps when using Wrath. The improved pet heal is great too since it removes all poisons, diseases etc.

I'm enjoying it greatly, as I principly tend to solo. I've been going through camps of 3 mobs a few levels under me without breaking a sweat.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 10:47:09 AM

I'm running a marksman build that's 11/32/8. The most significant change for me is a fix rather than a real change - the multi-shot and aimed shot do not reset the auto shot timer. You can now fire them as soon as they are available and be assured that its actually increasing your damage output. Its good to have target selection not break auto shot again.

For cat, I'd recommend a 2.0s attack speed. They're kind of hard to come by - the only ones I know of for certain are Echeyachee (level 16 white lion from Horde quest), Jaguero Stalker (level 50 black panther) and Sian-Rotam (level 60 white lion form quest). Fast attack speeds were good when beastmastery had a pulse heal from spirit bond. Now that spirit bond is a fixed regen, its only merit is more caster interrupts. Since all pets do a fixed DPS for their family, a slower atatck speed does more damage per hit. The cat special ability is prowl, which increase the damage done on the first hit from stealth. For that ability, a slow speed is better than a fast one.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 11:14:21 AM

I haven't putzed with my Hunter much more than I did the few times on test what with the PvP-RP server and wanting to get my warrior to 60. 

However, I went with a 5B/31M/15S build because that was the one I felt most effective with on test. (I tried a BM/MM and a Survival/MM build as well. Survival/ MM, skipping Wyvern was my second choice.)   It's aimed much more at PVE than PvP, and I can see the advantages of a BM PvP build. (Until someone finds a good counter strat, then I'm not sure how things will fall.).

My build is probably pretty damned easy to figure out, based on thenumbers, and the new talents DID increase my DPS over my old MM build.  Not exactly sure why, but the survival crit/ damage talents likely had a large part of it.  The damage increase from barrage coupled with Aimed/Multi not resetting autoshot has a lot to do with it. (Hell I might just give-up aimed altogether since Multi is critting for almost as much damage as an aimed crit now vs Humans/ Monsters.)  As a point of reference, I was doing 2-3 wyverns at a time in Winterspring prior to the patch and my only worry was mana use (well, and not over-aggroing off my pet).  Mana use will be a bigger concern now, but I'm even less worried about killing them before they do me in now, but suspect my pet will die a bit more.

For your pet points, I found I had to have the trained 'untrain' all of my level 60 pet's abilities in order to get all the poitns he was allotted.  It wasn't refunding points properly to teach new abilities on test for exsisting pets, and I noticed the same thing on live. Just pay the 10s to be certain you've got all the points due to you right now.  I'm not sure if it'll continue to be an issue as you level-up and need to train new skills.

I use cats exclusivly, but I'll probably pick-up a bear for PvE farming now.  My former MM build took enough points in BM to increase pet damage, hps and armor.  I trained my cat to level 9 in hps and 7 in armor and the stats are about the same as when I was using talents.  I can't imagine how vicious a BM pet would be with the Armor/ HP talents as well as these two ranks. (Warning: Doing this meant meant almost 0 points for resists, train resists FIRST if you're going PvP)

Stealth you can pick-up off the panthers in STV, the Cats in Winterspring, and probably the wolves in Hinterlands.  I'd suspect it'd be rank 1, 3, 2 in that order.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 02:12:18 PM

I think that the health training for pets is an enormous waste of points. A level 60 pet has 300 points. Rank 10 health is 180 points, rank 10 armor is 150 points. 90 in a resist is 45 points, 60 in a resist is 15 points. A rank 8 bite or claw is 25 points. Rank 3 dash is 25 points. Growl is free. Top tier family abilities are 25.

Armor is good, especially if you put the talent points in for 30% armor increase. My wolf has 6164 armor from rank 10 with BM armor talent. I put 25 points in for Bite 8, 25 for Dash 3. All resists at 60 was 75, leaving 25 points for Furious Howl 4. I get +40 to all resists on my pets for the nerfed 5/8 Giantstalker armor. He's a very effective tank.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #7 on: September 15, 2005, 02:21:21 PM

Well, the question is what are you customizing him for.  You're MC raiding and PvPing, I'm not. If I do anything it's small instances with guildies where the pet isn't tanking, but just needs to keep itself alive if it gets targeted.   I'm also not tossing any points into BM beyond Imp. Hawk.   I've made-due this far with a pet that had 0 resists, so I figure I can continue to do so without too many problems.   I might switch armor and HPs down the road, but I'm happy for now.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 15, 2005, 08:59:06 PM

There's a ton of general pet info that's updated to include the 1.7 info here, along with a bunch of general hunter info and links.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 16, 2005, 12:01:26 AM

I've gone 31/20 BM/MM spec - and quite impressed with the performance so far.  I've got 2 pets - a cat that I've set up for PvP/MC raiding - with high resists (particuarly fire), various attacking skills, and a few leftover points in Stamina.  He survived a lot more in MC with 120 FR than he used to, and I was consistently number 1-2 in damage rankings on a full raid - whereas normally I sit around 6-7, normally after all the rogues.

I've also set up a pharming/tanking wolf with less resists, and more into Armour and Stamina.  I tend to agree with Righ on the questionable value of stamina, especially considering how expensive high stamina is, but I lent towards the 'gotta spend the points on something' argument - when the next round of pet customisation comes in I'll modify accordingly.

I'm tempted to grab a 'pure' tanking pet, ie a crab or something, and crank up its armour and see how it tanks for pharming etc.  I've heard rumours of BM tank pets being able to MT in instances like BRD/LBRS - I'm interested in trying that out.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 16, 2005, 07:00:03 AM

I went beastmaster/marksman template. My main battle pig for instance tanking and generic pvp is a freaking monster now with him and a couple of my other hunter buddies also going beastmastery we are deffinatly going to try out the high end instances again and see how well the changes help. My friends scorpid is listed at 55% mitigation with the largest armor skill and full beastmastery spec. I believe it has close to 7k armor and that is I think more than good enough to deal with the physical attacks of the higher end instances.

kaid
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: 1.7 Hunters - Who's doing what ?  
Jump to: