Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:29:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Post Patch Impressions 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Patch Impressions  (Read 9721 times)
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: September 23, 2005, 11:04:12 AM

If all fighters tank equally then Paladins are uber solo because they can heal themselves thus dramatically extending the size of thier hit-point tank allowing them to fight far more difficult mobs than other classes while alone.  If all fighters can tank equally then monks/beserkers/bruisers/shadowknights are better at general purpose because they do far more damage thus making thier hit-point tank more effective and thier fights shorter with less downtime in between.

The same problems exist among all the subclasses.

No question this is a HUGE problem.  But this is not limited to EQ2.  I have always maintained on these boards hybrid classes for the win.  Scrapper > tank, Paladin > warrior.  CoH and WoW have made some interesting moves since release to try and address this.  However, I just had a shaman tank the 4 dragons for Onyxia keying in WoW (although the shaman is not exactly a hybrid warrior type - it worked).

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #36 on: September 23, 2005, 05:32:48 PM

WoW doesn't even entertain the notion that the concept exists.

If it were as much fun as Diablo 2, I wouldn't have given a shit.  Alas.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #37 on: September 24, 2005, 12:11:12 AM

Addendum:  Complaining about the lack of "world" in a mass-market Diku MMORPG is like complaining about the lack of true love in a whorehouse.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #38 on: September 24, 2005, 11:33:19 AM

Hey, sometimes paying lipservice to something and pretending is "good enough."

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: September 24, 2005, 04:50:33 PM

Customizing with respecs is of course retarded. How do you have any idea at level 10 what your skills are going to be worth at level 50+? Then throw in the fact that in some games the end game shifts focus dramatically, abilities are buffed/nerfed, etc. It's just stupid and makes no sense.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: September 26, 2005, 12:45:04 PM

Customizing with[out] respecs is of course retarded. How do you have any idea at level 10 what your skills are going to be worth at level 50+? Then throw in the fact that in some games the end game shifts focus dramatically, abilities are buffed/nerfed, etc. It's just stupid and makes no sense.

I can see refunds when rule set changes occur.  Otherwise no.  For me, it trivializes character development and erodes any notion of character identity.  If your build works - then it becomes the new standard and everyone is the same for your class on those runs.

Character development with respecs is a little like running an obstacle course on railroad tracks... I mean really - what's the challenge?

Remember kids there are no winners or losers  :-D 
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 12:51:11 PM by jpark »

"  HaemishM.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #41 on: September 26, 2005, 01:07:32 PM

jpark that is an insane point of view.  Respec of some sort should be mandatory; I think COH's implementation is the best out there thusfar (you work to change your character and it fits within the "roleplaying" context).  One thing that ticked me off about EQ2 was I picked a racial ability, and it was NOTHING like the description (I know you can argue about better descriptions, this is an example).  So now I have 2 choices; live with having made my decision or reroll.  Mind you cookie cutter classes are not cool, but you will have them regardless, especially with diku style designs and levels. 

If its about being hardcore, then those that are hardcore will be like the other hardcores, regardless.  Us average joes will just quit or take it in the ass.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2005, 02:41:43 PM by Cheddar »

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: September 26, 2005, 02:09:04 PM

jpark that is an insane point of view.  Respec of some short should be mandatory; I think COH's implementation is the best out there thusfar (you work to change your character and it fits within the "roleplaying" context).  One thing that ticked me off about EQ2 was I picked a racial ability, and it was NOTHING like the description (I know you can argue about better descriptions, this is an example).  So now I have 2 choices; live with having made my decision or reroll.  Mind you cookie cutter classes are not cool, but you will have them regardless, especially with diku style designs and levels. 

If its about being hardcore, then those that are hardcore will be like the other hardcores, regardless.  Us average joes will just quit or take it in the ass.

I forgot about the CoH system - that's cool - I could live with that as a mechanic.

"  HaemishM.
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #43 on: September 28, 2005, 07:47:00 AM

No one will probably ever see this but I think this should be worth a chuckle:

New patch notes up (Yes, I quit, no, I am still addicted to watching the train wreck)

*** The Gigglegibber Goblin Gamblin' Game ***

According to google the permutations for 50 choose 6 are :
50 choose 6 = 15 890 700

Which is a number I would expect so I think it's right.  IF you assume there are 5000 people playing actively per server (and they purchase an average of 1 ticket per person) then someone MIGHT win once every 3 or 4 thousand drawings or so...

No wonder why the combat revamp sucks, no one at SOE understands probablity.

Those numbers are about the same as your average state lottery. Problem is, your average state has something like 10,000x the people of your average EQ server.

So yeah, for the individual person, it's about the same, but for the server, the likelyhood of anyone winning is MUCH smaller.

Alkeira

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #44 on: September 28, 2005, 06:19:47 PM

In the patch notes for today, the exp bonus for groups of 4-6 was increased. There was fast collecting evidence that the best exp was from soloing or duoing solo mobs instead fo grouping to take down group mobs.

I have never played WoW.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Everquest 2  |  Topic: Post Patch Impressions  
Jump to: