Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:18:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Can video games be too hard? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can video games be too hard?  (Read 10832 times)
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

on: May 06, 2004, 03:24:50 PM

I found this article on Slate (of all places) discussing the how difficult games often are the best payoff for playing.  The game he discusses in detail is Ninja Gaiden:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2100116/

I thought it was a decent read so I figured I'd link it in case anyone else was interested.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 03:28:08 PM

Hmmm. Games that are purposefully made hard or are hard due to horrible design aren't fun. Games that are hard due to good gameplay coupled with good level design are fun.

Ninja Gaiden is hard, but only because it's sorta of a POP:SOT on angeldust. More enemies, quicker response, razor sharp abilities, and better level design.

One game that was incredibly fun was Dark Cloud 2, but without the players guide you will never 100% it. That's NOT fun. So I have the game and the guide and will never beat it.

If I think of more, I'll list them, I guess.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 09:02:09 AM

The first ninja gaiden final level was of the NOT FUN difficulty style.  Any jump missing a platform by a pixel sent you back to the start of the level.  Die vs the final boss?  Start of the level.  NOT fun.

New Xbox ninja gaiden is FUN hard.

More hard NOT FUN games:
Battletoads NES
TMNT NES
Bionic Commando arcade
Final level of Driver for PC (@#$^%#!$^!)
Final level of Starlancer for PC (protecting paper mache ships in a shitstorm)
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 07, 2004, 09:03:47 AM

I liked TMNT for the Nintendo. I eventually beat it, but if I went back to it together I would'nt remember shitall about it. I wish I could remember the super hard games for NES that turned out to be not fun at all but it seems as though I've blocked them out and I only remember the good stuff. How convenient.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 07, 2004, 09:07:25 AM

Bruce Lee for the XBOX!!!

It was hard because after the first few seconds, gathering the will to continue playing that utter piece of gaming excrement was nearly impossible.  Holy shit that game sucked in ways few have sucked before.  Thank god I had the gamers pass at the time and could immediately take it back for something else.
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #5 on: May 07, 2004, 09:18:16 AM

I think you make a good observation there Schild, it does suck not to get a hundred percent of what you paid for in a game, but I have to say that I think that's more of a problem of how shit is laid out in a game.  In Ninja Gaiden the greatness spawns from that intangible of all video game attributes, gameplay.

I'll explain using pong.  In Pong to get 100% of the game you just have to play it for a few seconds, however the game lasts longer than that, there are multiple techniques and strategies which can be employed, I don't think for a second I have hit every angle on every wall, on hard mode I couldn't keep up unless I was in some sort of Zen-like state however it was a great game.  Ninja Gaiden is the same way, it's not what you kill its how you kill it.  I can have fun killing the same guy 20 times over in 20 different ways.

The truth of it is that the great games are endless in their variation and finite in their rules.  It's all about making chess again.

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6 on: May 07, 2004, 09:18:23 AM

Quote from: schild
I liked TMNT for the Nintendo. I eventually beat it, but if I went back to it together I would'nt remember shitall about it. I wish I could remember the super hard games for NES that turned out to be not fun at all but it seems as though I've blocked them out and I only remember the good stuff. How convenient.

I could never beat that fucking level with the van. Could never find the damn rope and when I did I'd die soon after.  I hated that game worse than Battletoads.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: May 07, 2004, 09:40:47 AM

Game that was hard in the absolutely not fun FUCK IT'S EATING MY FACE OFF way:

ET for the Atari 2600.

schild
Administrator

Reply #8 on: May 07, 2004, 12:32:42 PM

Mentioning ET is a cop out. Comeon now, you know that.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #9 on: May 07, 2004, 01:51:08 PM

The pain is still fresh, 15 years later.

Daydreamer
Contributor

Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 01:51:08 PM

Quote from: Rasix
Quote from: schild

I could never beat that fucking level with the van. Could never find the damn rope and when I did I'd die soon after.  I hated that game worse than Battletoads.

Same.  And I usually lost that whiny loser Raph to the electric seaweed in the bomb diffusal level.  But who needs him?

Immaginative Immersion Games  ... These are your role playing games, adventure games, the same escapist pleasure that we get from films and page-turner novels and schizophrenia. - David Wong at PointlessWasteOfTime.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: May 07, 2004, 01:52:23 PM

Odd, that's where I dumped Raph also.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #12 on: May 20, 2004, 05:28:59 PM

Here's a question: How do you feel about games that require you to beat them on their "hard as a motherfucker" setting to get new features, bonuses, better endings, etc?

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13 on: May 20, 2004, 05:32:05 PM

Quote from: Fabricated
Here's a question: How do you feel about games that require you to beat them on their "hard as a motherfucker" setting to get new features, bonuses, better endings, etc?

I almost never ever ever even do them.  I did when I was a kid, but I really had nothing better to do (living in Arizona it was 100-110+ degrees outside in the summer).

-Rasix
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #14 on: May 20, 2004, 08:50:32 PM

Quote from: Rasix
I almost never ever ever even do them.  I did when I was a kid, but I really had nothing better to do (living in Arizona it was 100-110+ degrees outside in the summer).

Same here, except there wasn't anything to do where I lived.

I'm sort of dealing with that now playing RE:Outbreak.

Getting all the neat extra costumes and goodies requires finding a bunch of hard to get items, playing on Very Hard, and completing the scenerios with all the characters (some of which really suck ass).

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 21, 2004, 05:46:22 AM

Prince of Persia was hard because some of the levels made you think. You didn't know how or where to go and all the buzz saws and fire etc - the 'hard' part was unwravelling the mystery of the map itself to figure out how to get from point A to point B.

Games like this are hard in a good way.

Ninja Gaiden is hard in a bad way. They clearly scaled up the difficulty artifically when at some unknown point in testing, it was determined the game might be too easy and short. None of the levels are mystifying or even thought-invoking. You may as well be standing on a conveyor belt that shuttles you along the map.

I liked Prince of Persia. I hated Ninja Gaiden.

unbannable
Xilren's Twin

Reply #16 on: May 21, 2004, 06:10:14 AM

Quote from: Arcadian Del Sol
Prince of Persia was hard because some of the levels made you think. You didn't know how or where to go and all the buzz saws and fire etc - the 'hard' part was unwravelling the mystery of the map itself to figure out how to get from point A to point B.

Games like this are hard in a good way.I liked Prince of Persia. I hated Ninja Gaiden.

Well, I think the only reason PoP falls into the good category is the Rewind power.  If every time you missed a jump or guessed wrong or even got your ass kicked in combat you had to reload and replay large sections of the levels, that would have sucked.  I can't remember in the end stages of the game when you don't have your dagger anymore having to replay a section with a fight and thinking "well, this sucks if I have to do it more than twice".  That's what I hated about NG: too little room for error means unless your perfect, you do the same level repeatively and my reflexs ain't what they used to be when I was a teenage button mashing crack monkey.

So both games are faced with the same problem, but PoP handles it gracefully with good game design.  NG just makes you do it over til you get it right like a sadistic metal shop teacher.  Course, that sort of difficulty can also be looked at as purely a marketing ploy to sell game guides (and get in bed with game mags' to publish super secret cheat codes that seems to be so popular now).

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Arcadian Del Sol
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2004, 09:59:51 AM

I used the rewind power four times in the whole game, and once just to show off the effect. What made PoP hard was clever level design. what makes NG hard are level bosses with double-wide health bars (i.e. shoddy design).

unbannable
Piperfan
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 11:52:50 AM

Anyone ever play Emperor of Fading Suns? Not the d20 RPG stuff, the strategy game from '97 or '98.

It falls in into both good and bad catagories in my view.

Go stand in walmart parking lot and try to get 5 other people to go help you move furniture for a few hours. That's mmo grouping to me. - Sky
Azhrarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 10, 2004, 04:00:20 AM

Most commercial games want you to eventually be able to win, NetHack
doesn't care if you win, Slash'em wants you dead and ground into paste.  (Some mangled quote I half remember hearing a while ago)

I came here to be drugged, electrocuted, and probed.  Not insulted! - H.S.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Game Design/Development  |  Topic: Can video games be too hard?  
Jump to: