Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:31:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Day of Defeat: Source 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Day of Defeat: Source  (Read 6096 times)
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

on: September 09, 2005, 05:01:06 PM

One of my all-time favorite games, now in a shinier package, is being released soon.

I would give a heart-felt plee for a f13 server, but I figure it would be a waste of time because they rarely last more than this community's interest, and I doubt there are enough DoD hardcores here to warrant it.  Oh well, look for "ahoythematey" on the enemy side, me hoping that my bullets don't miss.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 05:04:56 PM by ahoythematey »
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 05:04:17 PM

Ironically, I've been waiting for the release, and with zee new graphics card (thanks Stray!) I can finish HL2 and enjoy DoD. Here's the bigger problem: Valve's Server Packages SUCK.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 05:04:28 PM

About damn time. Still a while off though....
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 05:05:30 PM

Ironically, I've been waiting for the release, and with zee new graphics card (thanks Stray!) I can finish HL2 and enjoy DoD. Here's the bigger problem: Valve's Server Packages SUCK.

You can run it at high now, right?

I would give a heart-felt plee for a f13 server, but I figure it would be a waste of time because they rarely last more than this community's interest, and I doubt there are enough DoD hardcores here to warrant it.

I'd rather take a DoD server than a HL2DM server myself. I'm still not hardcore, but if anything, it seems like there'd be more to work with here.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 05:12:51 PM by Stray »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 05:33:31 PM

I don't even remember which HL2 "package" I have.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 05:40:55 PM

Silver or Gold is enough for the game.  Steam will tell you when you double click on DoD:Source in your Play Games menu.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 05:50:57 PM

I don't have DoD in my package since I bought the generic HL2 box off the shelf. I suck.
Strazos

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 06:07:03 PM

Same.

Oh well, I never played DoD much anyway. I think i'd rather see a working version of NS.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 08:03:05 PM

Same.

Oh well, I never played DoD much anyway. I think i'd rather see a working version of NS.

Oh god yes! I haven't checked the NS webiste for ages, but they are working on it right?

- meg

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
Strazos

Reply #9 on: September 09, 2005, 08:11:29 PM

To my knowledge, yes.

Fear the Backstab!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #10 on: September 09, 2005, 11:16:13 PM

I noticed that they added iron sights. Provided they make some better maps than the shitty ones that were...well, nearly all of the original DoD's maps, we may have something here.

Call of Duty was the best WWII title online in terms of playability, overall balance, level quality, and fun...and then they added half-assed tanks in the expansion and ruined it. With any luck DoD:S will have equally good infantry action.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 08:48:36 AM

It's out.  It's provided the most fun I've had on my PC in months.  In fact, it's probably my favorite PC release this year. 

The action is fast, constant, and non forgiving.  There is no shooting someone in the face 6 times only to have them live as in CS:S. 

No matter how cool it is to hate steam, I'd give this one a go if you are into team based FPS.  It's well worth the $20 in my book.  Now we just need some new maps pronto.

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
andar
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 29, 2005, 02:14:14 PM

Day of Defeat: Source is a great update to DoD, which was great on its own, but was beginning to 'show its age' as people say so often.  I'm glad they didn't just do a simple port as in CS:S--they actually changed things and added things and rebalanced things (although the US Army guns, especially the rifleman, now seem much less powerful/useful than the german weapons).  They also have a great balance in graphics between shininess and actual ability to run the game.

The main problem is that 1/3 of the maps suck.  As in, 1 out of the 3 maps suck (donner is the worst map ever created for DoD, I can't imagine why they decided it deserved to be remade into the worst and most generic map evar... I can't even find my way around it because everything looks the same).  The other two maps (avalanche and donner) were two of the best maps in the original game, and are very strong maps in DoD:S as well, but I wish there were more   cry  (and I also hope they don't just remake all the rest of the old ones as they are doing with CS:S)

Also, the bloom effect is overdone in some places, but nothing horrible like Guild Wars which must be what the world looks like to someone in extreme need of glasses.

oh yeah ps, you don't bounce off of physics objects in DoD:S, so you won't feel like the tennis ball you were in CS:S
Strazos

Reply #13 on: September 29, 2005, 04:20:32 PM

You mean the hit detection was fixed?

If you tell me they truely fixed it, to the point that I can no pop out from behind a corner, and not be hit a half-second After I am behind the wall again, I might let of a cry of joy.

Fear the Backstab!
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #14 on: September 29, 2005, 08:13:57 PM

I'm mildly disappointed myself. The lack of iron sights and melee attacks with all weapons pretty much guarantees I'll never touch DoD again after CoD2 finally comes out (nevermind I'm going to need a new fucking computer to play it on anything but 640x480, jesus).

The map remakes are nice, the bloom is cool looking, and most of the weapon retoolings are well done. It just doesn't feel as fun as CoD though.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Moaner
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 30, 2005, 07:39:19 AM

I haven't played the CoD2 demo yet.  This is mostly due to the fact I'm on a limited budget and my $50 is going towards Quake4.  From what I hear it sounds great though.

After playing for about another 4 hours last night I've come to the conclusion that although I'm really enjoying DoD:S, it's got some major problems.  Load times are atrocious ,there are some ugly sound and video bugs, and it ran like complete goat shit until I did some major tweaking in my autoexec.cfg.

I'm confident Valve will fix these issues, release new maps, and add some bots.  But, given their history it'll probaly be next Sept. before we see a patch.

All in all I still enjoy it, but unless you have one hell of a rig, be ready to do some tweaking.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 07:41:39 AM by Moaner »

PSN: Happy_Hedonist, SteamID: Happy Hedonist
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 30, 2005, 08:02:58 AM

Meh, CoD 2 sounds great if you just listen to the brown nosers.

It sucks if you hate scripted bullshit. For instance, the first "thing" you do is take out a machinegun nest. Some dipshit on your team yells out WE MUST FLANK FROM THE RIGHT, THIS WAY!

If you don't want to go that way, you can sit where you are and kill the machinegunner. If you do that, another guy will spawn out of the thin fucking air and take his place. You can sit there killing him (them?) until you run out of ammo.

I'd like to play the game how I want to, thanks.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #17 on: September 30, 2005, 11:30:58 AM

Wow, that sounds like all the shit I hated about Medal of Honor. Some script says "run this way...through the artillery barrage!", and I'm all "How about sneaking around through the woods and flanking the arty position?"

BF 1942 ftwwiiw.

Too bad morons pretty much destroy that experience (there isn't an arty position to flank because whenever someone sets up arty, someone else drives it away while they tried to fire...whee!). C'mon, play Halo 2, bitches! ;)
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #18 on: September 30, 2005, 12:37:17 PM

Meh, CoD 2 sounds great if you just listen to the brown nosers.

It sucks if you hate scripted bullshit. For instance, the first "thing" you do is take out a machinegun nest. Some dipshit on your team yells out WE MUST FLANK FROM THE RIGHT, THIS WAY!

If you don't want to go that way, you can sit where you are and kill the machinegunner. If you do that, another guy will spawn out of the thin fucking air and take his place. You can sit there killing him (them?) until you run out of ammo.

I'd like to play the game how I want to, thanks.
I was referring to the multiplayer, where CoD shines the most. It's still a heavily scripted WWII title in single player despite the devs claims of "more freedom".

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Day of Defeat: Source  
Jump to: