Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:44:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Anyone want to try another 9th draft tonight? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone want to try another 9th draft tonight?  (Read 8367 times)
Xilren's Twin

on: September 09, 2005, 09:01:32 AM

Say 10pm EST or a little later?

If not I'll hop in another 4-3-2-2 draft.  Last one I didn;t win but got enough packs and cards to sell to get 3 more 9th packs (which is really my goal).

Xilren

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: September 09, 2005, 10:50:06 AM

Maybe it's a better idea to just hop into a 4-3-2-2 draft as a group? Costs basically the same and you can win stuff. I'll look for you around 10. I'm Margalis on MTG. (Forget if you are in Bat Country)

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #2 on: September 09, 2005, 12:19:20 PM

I will try to be online for this, perhaps after a league and a release event my drafting skills will not suck as much (knowing most of the cards should help). 

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #3 on: September 09, 2005, 12:37:59 PM

I just purchased a core game set for $8.99 and 3 boosters.

Woo.
Xilren's Twin

Reply #4 on: September 09, 2005, 02:32:06 PM

Maybe it's a better idea to just hop into a 4-3-2-2 draft as a group? Costs basically the same and you can win stuff. I'll look for you around 10. I'm Margalis on MTG. (Forget if you are in Bat Country)

Thought about that but since the draft queues are semi-random, we may not hit the same table.  What they do is even though only 8 people play, it wont start a draft game until at least 12 people are in the queue.  I randomly picks 8 of them and everyone else has to wait and try again.  It;s an attempt to prevent collusion...

Plus it cost 2 tickets tongue

But, if we dont get enought for a private draft, we;ll shoot for the same sanctioned one.

Xilren

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 02:45:51 PM

Ah, ok. I'm just greedy and figure since my chances of winning are better than average, I'd rather enter one with prizes! But whatever, I'm game for anything.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 05:26:47 PM

Well fuck shit.

Being in AZ means I cannot win any prizes offered in entry fee tournaments.

BTW - I'm "shockeye" in MT:O.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 05:34:03 PM

I would seriously like to know how anyone would know, or care.

I mean, they're friggin' Magic cards. Do you also not have local RL tourneys?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2005, 07:28:46 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #8 on: September 09, 2005, 07:04:13 PM

Where is everybody?

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 03:41:37 PM

I may have to get in on the fun here shortly.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 03:55:00 PM

Its quite fun.  And ok decks (for the new players room anyhow) can be made on the cheap, especially if you buy some preconstructed decks.

Just gimme all of your howling mines, megrims, and underworld dreams.  I have plans for them, oh yes, I have plans.  Enough so I am building a version of my planned deck IRL because it amuses me so.  Ive already got the creamy Kamigawa block filling, its just the outside spongy twinkie of common but entertaining doom I need to build up.

(Sadly my planned for RL deck Blue Red enchantment/land destruction deck is undoable cheaply in Magic Online.  Too many of the cards are really old ones.)

Of course drafting is its own little world as I learned from my serious kicked ass 2 weeks ago, but it inspired a new deck so short term pwning lead to long term amusement...
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 12:06:39 PM

So we doing any drafts or all joining a league any time soon?  I like to play with the possibility to win prizes even though my play needs to improve considerably before thats even a possibility.  Its nice to all be in one league beacause then everyone is working on decks and you can get valuable testing and tuning done before you start playing any recorded matches.

-William Gibson
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 01:44:25 PM

Even if people aren't in the same league you can always playtest against them. I'm in a league that rolls over on thursday night. I'm willing to test with anyone with advance notice.

Raging Turtle
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 01:52:04 PM

Woo just got back in town.  Did this second private draft happen?  Are people interested in doing it Thursday again, or have we all moved on to official leagues and drafts?
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 01:57:57 PM

Quite a few of us are in the one 9th League going now.  I wish I knew more about how leagues run, and when you can join up....

I have a mediocre card pool,  and haven't played my last two games for the week yet.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 02:37:53 PM

One league opens up as soon as an old one is full I believe.

I am down for drafts but it's a tough way for some new and returning players to get up to speed.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 03:05:55 PM

Welp, maybe we should make a concerted effort to all join the same 9th league next time people are done with their currently league.

I like drafting agian; my goal in the 4-3-2-2 draft is simply to earn enought packs/tradables to keep drafting for no additional cost.  But I do have to limit myself to one a week.

Xilren

WayAbvPar

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 03:07:55 PM

I am out of town Friday through Tuesday, but might be up for something late next week/next weekend.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2005, 04:46:31 PM

I'd definitely like to get in another league, drafting I'm just going to get thrashed quickly and thats a bunch of waiting and deck building and money for one game...

We should just have a day where everybody goes online so we can do some testing/tuning, I keep saved decks for all my leagues/drafts/tournaments and I'm happy to run those old ones against people's current card pools.  Also if being in the clan/guild/whatever makes it easier to tell who is online I'd like an invite.  Name is HoaxRe.

-William Gibson
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 13, 2005, 05:30:11 PM

I'm with Xilren....  been loving the 9th draft.  Managed to play for free all weekend,  but draft 6 I got greedy.  Kept rare drafting, and was left with a mediocre white/green deck.

Of course,  left the one draft with:  Wrath of God, Karpulsian Forest, Ancient Silverback, Will o' the wisp, Blood Moon, Defense Grid, and Weathered Wayfarer......  I died quickly to a fast B/R aggro deck in round 2, usually before I could do much.

My best two drafts were:

R/w--

Red:  with multiple Sandstone Warriors, Orcish Artilery, the 4/4 pumpable guy, bunch of burn, 2 Viashano Sandstalkers, SHARD PHEONIX (this thing was amazing), and a bunch of efficient hasty beaters.

white:  2 decoys and a pacifism, couple of creatures

and

B/W--

White: 2 Decoys, Ballista Squad, Pacifism, Blinding Angel, Pegasus Charger

Blue: Air Elemental, Mahamotti, Sift, TEMPORAL ADEPT, a bunch of fliers and some counter,  bunch of card draw

My advice for draft:

Play.  Alot.  At worst,  it's the same as busting open 3 boosters.  As you draft,  you get a better feel for deck building and card strength, and you become much better at it.  It gets to the point where you can pretty much be guaranteed at least a round 1 win (2 boosters prize), and with a good draft you can come out ahead.

I'll tell ya,  I drafted the hell out of 8th.  And got creamed for a while.  Limited rating down to 1498.  Now I'm back above 1600,  and can pretty much be guaranteed to come out ahead on any draft I do.

As for 9th colors....  Red is surprisingly strong,  and massively underdrafted.  If you go red,  you really need to go heavy red, though.  White is probably the strongest color,  but likewise it's always pretty solidly drafted.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #20 on: September 13, 2005, 08:53:02 PM

I won't be buying any more Magic items until October.

Money FTL.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 14, 2005, 01:12:59 AM

I only spend 15 a month max (aka: an MMORPG subscription), so I am out till October.  But come Oct 1, ill be available.  Just let me know when it will be and I will hold on to my money till then.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Magic: The Gathering Online  |  Topic: Anyone want to try another 9th draft tonight?  
Jump to: