Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:58:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: The News Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The News Thread  (Read 135565 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

on: September 07, 2005, 07:05:25 PM

Because it's silly to keep making threads, but some of them are misleading with their titles.  So here's where I'm dropping all the news I find and I suggest others do the same.

Recent interview with Statesman: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=60783

For the most part, it's what you've heard before with a couple tidbits that I do not believe have been released to non-beta testers:
"Reading the local rag will give you ideas for crimes to commit"
"Recover certain items from quests and store them in your base for an experience boost and you may be raided, and enemies can teleport directly in to do so."
"Emmert also says to expect an "amazing announcement" on pricing in the near future, chuckling when somebody suggests it might be the amazing suggestion that CoH players end up paying double. It won't be."

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #1 on: September 08, 2005, 05:03:14 AM

"Recover certain items from quests and store them in your base for an experience boost and you may be raided, and enemies can teleport directly in to do so."
This would be the 'Items Of Power' referenced before.  Having one in your SG Base allows others to raid your base at certain times of day, by other SGs.  This may be the first mention of bonuses related to owning an item of power, tho.

"Emmert also says to expect an "amazing announcement" on pricing in the near future, chuckling when somebody suggests it might be the amazing suggestion that CoH players end up paying double. It won't be."

That's good news, I think.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: September 08, 2005, 05:54:30 AM

Speaking of - I just got a press release from BHPR UK (Barrington Harvey press agency) about the CoV deluxe DVD set. Yea, it'll cost more. Yea, it comes with in-game items. But most of all...

...HERO-CLIX. FUCK YEA.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: September 08, 2005, 06:01:13 AM

Speaking of - I just got a press release from BHPR UK (Barrington Harvey press agency) about the CoV deluxe DVD set. Yea, it'll cost more. Yea, it comes with in-game items. But most of all...

...HERO-CLIX. FUCK YEA.

Are you serious?  Or are you being funny?  I can never tell....

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: September 08, 2005, 06:38:17 AM

I'm all business. Except those few fleeting moments when the only thing that can satisfy my cravings is a peanut butter & banana sandwich on toasted multigrain.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #5 on: September 08, 2005, 07:26:33 AM

Ah... well, unfortunately, I'm not getting the Collector's Edition or I'd give you my hero-clix.  As far as I'm concerned, things like that are just dust collectors and I can't be arsed to collect dust.  Not all of us have a     
, you know.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 07:31:13 AM

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2005, 07:34:35 AM

Err... I think we've fallen into the wrong thread. 

The image association thread is <--- thataway.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2005, 07:40:20 AM

Do you...uhhh...speaka Japanese?

Not image association. I just like the maid.

[EDIT] I'm so sorry, Signe. It's like....Everything I say to you is lost in translation.

I'll try to keep your head from spinning.

Here, have a glass of water

Oops...Wrong glass. Wrong water.

Alrighty then..

As for Hero Clix, the CoV figures look lame. Just like the CoH ones (except Statesman). They need to go with another company.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:10:12 AM by Stray »
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2005, 10:13:35 AM

Thanks... the two go well together nicely though.

I don't think they're particularly attractive knick knacks, either.  I used to love looking at those little D&D models my nephew painted so nicely, but these are kind of cheap looking.  Of course, I don't much like knick knacks anyway.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #10 on: September 08, 2005, 11:48:48 AM

From what I've read of the actual game mechanics of the characters, the Ghost Widow HeroClix figure is supposed to be immensely useful.  So if you're actually into the game and think spending all that money to get one (which, if I remember correctly, won't be offered elsewhere but IS considered legal for tournament use) is worth it, then by all means go nuts.

That being said, I know nothing about HeroClix, I was just bored and reading reviews one day trying to learn more about it.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #11 on: September 08, 2005, 11:51:18 AM

I think a course in underwater basket weaving would probably prove more useful, Llava.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #12 on: September 08, 2005, 01:37:17 PM

Well understand that I was doing this research when I still had a shot at getting the City of Villains web content editor job.  I didn't get it, so now I can say that that's what it was.  I wanted to be well-versed in the various media into which the property is travelling so I could sound informed about these things instead of writing a news update about HeroClix that basically says "I don't know what the fuck this is, but here's a link, enjoy!"

schild
Administrator

Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 02:56:43 PM

The City of Villains Collector’s Edition will sell at an anticipated price of US$79.99. City of Villains preorder purchases can be applied to the Collector’s Edition or regular edition of the City of Villains game. Subscription pricing for the game will be announced in the fall.

Handle. Off.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 04:49:55 PM

Just wondering, Llava: What exactly would someone get for 80 bucks in addition to this (and the aforementioned knick knack)?

Beta Access to City of Villains™ (start date to be finalized)
Two-day head-start – Play City of Villains before it ships to the public!
An exclusive In-game crab spider Battle Helmet
Limited Edition “Lord Recluse vs. Statesman” City of Villains poster
A 14 Day FREE TRIAL for the City of Heroes game for the purchaser of the pre-order AND a friend
Bonus CD-ROM includes videos, art, wallpapers, screenshots, Rogue Isles map, the City of Heroes™ comic book and more!
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #15 on: September 08, 2005, 04:55:17 PM

Highlighting the City of Villains Collector’s Edition package is a set of seven limited-edition HeroClix® figures from WizKids®, composed of three hero figures and four villain figures, including an exclusive Lord Recluse™ HeroClix.

The City of Villains Collector’s Edition will also contain a DVD version of the game, giving players access to an exclusive in-game cape and chest emblem from Arachnos™, the game’s top villain group. Also included in the package is a map of The Rogue Isles™, the chain of islands that makes up City of Villains.

The Collector’s Edition also includes a book featuring art from City of Villains and City of Heroes, a preview deck of the City of Heroes collectible card game designed by the Alderac Entertainment Group™ as well as a single limited edition City of Heroes foil collector’s card.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #16 on: September 08, 2005, 07:18:01 PM

I was also under the impression, though I may be wrong, that the Collector's edition unlocks all of the various pre-order helmet options while the regular version only unlocks one.  Like I said, though, I could be completely wrong on that, don't feel like tracking it down to find out at the moment.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 08, 2005, 07:47:00 PM

What's this thread about again?
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #18 on: September 08, 2005, 07:48:44 PM

General news and updates, I think??
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #19 on: September 09, 2005, 06:28:31 AM

It is Llava's Official Wibble About Stuff Thread.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #20 on: September 09, 2005, 11:51:09 AM

You people are all smartasses and don't deserve updates.

Second wave of beta invites went out yesterday, check your emails.  Still inviting 12+ monthers at this stage.  There'll be one more wave to get all of them.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #21 on: September 09, 2005, 12:13:09 PM

Is anyone else in the beta test yet?

Alkiera
Terracotta Army

The best part of SWG was the easy account cancellation process.

Reply #22 on: September 09, 2005, 01:11:41 PM

Is anyone else in the beta test yet?

I don't think it's against the NDA to admit I was invited to join the beta.  Beyond that, I cannot confirm or deny.

Alkiera

"[I could] become the world's preeminent MMO class action attorney.  I could be the lawyer EVEN AMBULANCE CHASERS LAUGH AT. " --Triforcer

Welcome to the internet. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used as evidence against you in a character assassination on Slashdot.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #23 on: September 09, 2005, 01:41:42 PM

That's about all that's not against the NDA.  I'll pm you my name when I actually decide who I want to be.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 09, 2005, 01:56:17 PM

Be - "The Good Signe" - and your bio can say. The Good Signe - The evil one was REALLY REALLY evil. I'm only mostly evil I don't do anything to the corpses.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #25 on: September 09, 2005, 02:09:56 PM

Llava
Contributor

Reply #26 on: September 09, 2005, 02:26:03 PM

BATMAN: I'm Batman. I can ovulate if I try hard enough.

Heh.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #27 on: September 09, 2005, 02:37:01 PM

Whoever "kawaiikitty" is, he/she is brilliant.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #28 on: September 09, 2005, 02:47:56 PM

From her posts on the CoV boards, she seems quite strange indeed.

She has this linked in her signature.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #29 on: September 10, 2005, 09:52:04 PM

From what I've read of the actual game mechanics of the characters, the Ghost Widow HeroClix figure is supposed to be immensely useful.  So if you're actually into the game and think spending all that money to get one (which, if I remember correctly, won't be offered elsewhere but IS considered legal for tournament use) is worth it, then by all means go nuts.

That being said, I know nothing about HeroClix, I was just bored and reading reviews one day trying to learn more about it.

If the figure is anything like the Statesman one I got as swag at GenCon....it's apparently very very overpowered.  I showed the Statesman one to someone who played and got a long spiel about why it was good and whatnot.

Apparently, the collectors will pay good cash on eBay for ultra-rare ones like the two Co* ones.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #30 on: September 10, 2005, 10:31:30 PM

From her posts on the CoV boards, she seems quite strange indeed.

She has this linked in her signature.

As if I didn't think stuff from Japan was weird enough....

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #31 on: September 10, 2005, 11:57:52 PM

omfg I don't know how I haven't seen that.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #32 on: September 11, 2005, 12:21:27 AM

I believe the english version is named "Beatdown Angel Dokuro"

schild
Administrator

Reply #33 on: September 11, 2005, 02:39:13 AM

Yea, already got the entire show. That is some fucked up shit. See, Jungle Wa is just funny. This show - just Japanese.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #34 on: September 11, 2005, 06:17:17 AM

Yea, already got the entire show. That is some fucked up shit. See, Jungle Wa is just funny. This show - just Japanese.

She sounds perfect for you, Schild.  Do you want me to try and set you up?

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  City of Heroes / City of Villains  |  Topic: The News Thread  
Jump to: